Tutorial here!
Thanks, Shed. :thanks:

It would seem like a fogger or mister head might be perfect if they make such a thing. :hmmmm:

Looking at Jungle River I see reptile misters. Lots of possibilities.

I've got an air pump for my compost teas and think I'll try to adapt that for a cloner. It pumps air, not water, but sits outside the bucket so won't cause temperature fluctuations. I remember getting some aeroponic effects from air stones with the bubbles bursting on the surface. I also remember height of stem above the water was pretty important.

I'll dig through the rubble pile and see what I have for parts.

## Attention SIP Growers ##

I'm wondering if any SIP growers use a water based cloning method. I'm wondering if that might be an answer to the transition issue. A water based cloning method would theoretically produce water based roots which we then typically transition to wetter soil mixes to start and the SIP environment seems like it would be perfect.

In @lootznbootz 's Sipping Suzanne thread it was suggested Rapid Rooters might be a good transition method. I've never used them, but it sounds like maybe that could work quite well.

I may have to build a bucket cloner to find out! Here's one @InTheShed posted a while back. Anyone have improvements or is this the GoTo?
I have a timer 10 min off 10 min on for my sprayer in bucket cloner. Seems to pull out the roots!

Just waiting for the seed to crack.
Pebbles have been washed and soaked in Rhizotonic at 6,2ph for a night.. I filled the water channel at the bottom plus a couple of cm's as per picture in the instructions, then I've filled it with Plagron lightmix to which I mixed in some extra pebbles and perlite.
Then I oiled up a duct ring with mineral oil and put that in the centre sticking half out and dug out the soil again and in that space I made little Bill284 pot layering perlite also sprayed with the Rhizo solution and soil for the seeding & topwatering first weeks.
And finished the rest of the top of the top with pebbles as well.. so the soil is not directly exposed to the light and air.. I've seen people clingfilm their buckets.
IMG_0816.JPG

Highya FB,

Love the setup! Classey looking pot, hydroton mulch, resevoir fill and indicator! I'm sure they're still developing the tech, but they're taking the guess work out of the grow! Fun to see how she does!! Happy Smokin'

Welcome to SIP Club!

There are an increasing number of us growing in SIPs (Sub Irrigated Planters) so I thought I'd start a community thread where we can all post pictures, links to our various SIP threads and have general discussions on theory and application of these incredible pots.

I'll tag a few below and hopefully they'll post links to their threads and pictures of their grows and pots so we have a central place to discuss these things. So ask any questions and share your experiences here, and link up to your respective journals so we can all follow along.

First, the basics.

A SIP is a grow pot structured with some sort of grow mix above, a water reservoir below, and and air chamber in between them. This air chamber and the constant availablilty of water and nutrients are what I believe lead to the incredible results these pots produce. Every plant I've grown in these has been healthier, happier and bigger than those in non-SIP containers. They are great for new growers since they take the guesswork out of watering which is one of the main challenges new growers face, but experienced growers also use them to great effect.

Here's a diagram of the basic set-up:

1662329603855.png

There are commercial versions that can be purchased including 5 gallon bucket inserts like this :

1662331125831.png

as well as "self-watering" pots like Krissi grows in here:

20220211_093401.jpg

They are also easy to DIY if you're into that sort of thing and I've built them in various sizes including 9oz/266ml, 1Q/1L, 2G/8L, and 17G/64L sizes. I'll post some how-to instructions in later posts for those that might want to try building one themselves.

Harvests from indoor plants grown with the 5 gallon inserts seem to be limited to just over 1 pound ( :rofl: ) as was produced by Buds Buddy's plant shown here:

15-374   6-30-22.JPG

15-375   6-30-22.JPG

15-376   6-30-22.JPG

Emilya Green has a few journals going now showcasing her grows in her much larger, multiple 17 Gallon containers which is shaping up to be epic.

But here's a sneak peak:

stretch may have stopped.JPG

ResDog has several different styles going and is working on a self-watering version from an external reservoir, and LKA and Farside have just started grows with their own buckets.

So, chime in with your questions, thoughts, experiences, etc. and we'll have a central place to discuss all things SIP!

Tags:
@Buds Buddy @el gringuito @Emilya Green @farside05 @Krissi Carbone @LKABudMan @ReservoirDog
Interesting. I like the idea. Might be interested in trying something like that.

## Attention SIP Growers ##

I'm wondering if any SIP growers use a water based cloning method. I'm thinking that might be an answer to the transition issue. A water based cloning method would theoretically produce water based roots which we then typically transition to wetter soil mixes to start and the SIP environment seems like it would be perfect.

In @lootznbootz 's Sipping Suzanne thread he suggested Rapid Rooters might be a good transition method. I've never used them, but it sounds like maybe that could work quite well.

I may have to build a bucket cloner to find out! Here's one @InTheShed posted a while back. Anyone have improvements or is this the GoTo?
After poking around some I found this Bubble Cloner from @Emilya Green in the way back machine which is more what I'm looking for. And, after readding through the thread I realized I already had one built from when I was trying the Hempy thing. It never worked very well for me but I think that was because I had the stems in the water and reading this thread and Shed's it seems like there are much better results to be had by keeping them just above the water.

I'm going to finish the trial I'm doing with the SIP cloners I built which is only about 10 days in, but will be giving this concept another try when that test is over.

So, Em, any changes/improvements to the original design, or is this still the standard?

I have made several of these over the years, and I am pretty sure I remember giving my last one away. Today I had a need to reliably produce a large number of clones, and the easiest and most reliable method I have found is the bubble cloner.

After finding the suitable plastic tub to destroy, I pulled out my 1 7/8 hole bit and went to work. All the tubing and rubber plant stoppers and air pump/stones all were on hand, so this project went together in about 10 minutes. Armed with all the failures in the past, this went together fast and I knew exactly what I needed to do to make it work right.

making_the_holes.JPG

Please note the 4 little holes in the center of the lid. These are there for a good reason. Enough moisture will pop out of those holes to keep the humidity high and the plants happy up on top, so this unit does not have to be covered. The advantage here of course, is there is no hardening off needed.

The air stones were firmly attached to the bottom of the tub. This has been a problem in the past, and many methods were tried and failed. The hot glue gun was the perfect solution to this problem. These air stones are not going to float away.

air_stones_attached.JPG

A splitter was used to supply air to both stones, taking care to have an equal length tube to each stone from the splitter. A hole was created in the top of the lid to let the air tube out, and the 9 stations were labeled with an ABC-123 grid so that records can easily be kept on individual plants.

The cuttings were taken, top big leaves split, and they were dunked in rooting compound. Care was taken to keep the end of the cutting out of the water, and they were set in the rubber plant holder/stoppers. The water is RO, with 5ml of dandelion root extract in the mix.

These plants were just set in here a couple of hours ago and misted with my spray bottle. Let's see how long it takes to get some roots.

clones_set.JPG

I've been exploring autowatering options and was about to go with a float valve inside a 5gal grobucket setup -- I want to use a 5gal external gravity fed reservoir so I can get several days between watering. My issue is that this is in an attic and I have zero desire for any kind of leakage. I started looking at other options including building my own controller off of a rpi zeroW that is already in the tent for timelapse capture and video monitoring. Anyway, long story short, one of my searches on the Bay auction site I turned up a $8 water level controller like this:
s-l1600.jpg

My next quest was a backup leak detector in case of malfunction. In the end I decided to just buy 2 and use one as a leak sensor. Will take pics once they arrive and I get everything setup.

After poking around some I found this Bubble Cloner from @Emilya Green in the way back machine which is more what I'm looking for. And, after readding through the thread I realized I already had one built from when I was trying the Hempy thing. It never worked very well for me but I think that was because I had the stems in the water and reading this thread and Shed's it seems like there are much better results to be had by keeping them just above the water.

I'm going to finish the trial I'm doing with the SIP cloners I built which is only about 10 days in, but will be giving this concept another try when that test is over.

So, Em, any changes/improvements to the original design, or is this still the standard?
still the standard, and yes, keep the stems out of the water

I've been exploring autowatering options and was about to go with a float valve inside a 5gal grobucket setup -- I want to use a 5gal external gravity fed reservoir so I can get several days between watering. My issue is that this is in an attic and I have zero desire for any kind of leakage. I started looking at other options including building my own controller off of a rpi zeroW that is already in the tent for timelapse capture and video monitoring. Anyway, long story short, one of my searches on the Bay auction site I turned up a $8 water level controller like this:
s-l1600.jpg

My next quest was a backup leak detector in case of malfunction. In the end I decided to just buy 2 and use one as a leak sensor. Will take pics once they arrive and I get everything setup.
Hi Nick. Is there an option to have a wet sensor on the floor and have that send a signal to a/the main solenoid to shut if water detected?

Hi Nick. Is there an option to have a wet sensor on the floor and have that send a signal to a/the main solenoid to shut if water detected?
not directly -- There is such a product on the Jungle River site for $70+.... instead, I plan on using my 2nd $8 controller such that the high water sensor acts as such -- if the low and out are shorted (simulating wet), then the controller should shut off the relay when the high sensor get's wet (I'll have to test and figure out exactly how to make it happen, but in theory it should work).... and, it's $8 instead of $70+

2022-12-20 16_24_51-Leak Detector Alarm, Smart Sensor and Alert, Turns Off Flood Source, Pure ...png

edit: search for "water controller dc12v sensor level" on theBay to find the cheap controllers if interested

not directly -- There is such a product on the Jungle River site for $70+.... instead, I plan on using my 2nd $8 controller such that the high water sensor acts as such -- if the low and out are shorted (simulating wet), then the controller should shut off the relay when the high sensor get's wet (I'll have to test and figure out exactly how to make it happen, but in theory it should work).... and, it's $8 instead of $70+

2022-12-20 16_24_51-Leak Detector Alarm, Smart Sensor and Alert, Turns Off Flood Source, Pure ...png

edit: search for "water controller dc12v sensor level" on theBay to find the cheap controllers if interested
Good thinking! I bet that works! Just make a proper housing or setup for it and the 8 bucker should do it. That 79 dollar one looks interesting as well. It's handy and a nice package.

:laughtwo:

Merry Christmas, Trala. 🎅🎄

And that's a great idea! There's a strain called Tequila. Maybe we should find out how it would grow in these containers. Would you like to do the honors? Maybe we'll see one of these things in your grow one day. :green_heart:

:laughtwo:

Merry Christmas, Trala. 🎅🎄

And that's a great idea! There's a strain called Tequila. Maybe we should find out how it would grow in these containers. Would you like to do the honors? Maybe we'll see one of these things in your grow one day. :green_heart:
I never say never… unless we are talking [*Edited by Admin (Trala) due to lewd and inappropriate language and misuse of a goat*] because a true lady always has boundaries.

Back
Top Bottom