Skybound's Journal

the pc looks good it looks like the new growth on the m dog is coming out rite from what I can see that's always a good thing it will likely be ok!:)

It's like my plants look a bit worse the older they get now, so the youngest in bloom looks the best, the E Dog looks a mess, but still growing great and the Glue I'm taking down in a week looks about the worst. The Glue I just took looked the worst of them all and she was my lightest harvest ever, but I think I'm heading back to the productive healthy ranges I was at before starting with the high brix shit.

The PC is looking good. I'm sure the others will still turn out good with a month to go. A 9x9 sounds great! You can have a jungle in that much space. I'm considering getting a new tent for flower. My 48"x32"x60" is just too small. But I only have 72" ceilings in my basement. Only one available are gorilla grow tent and they are expensive. Viviosun has a 71" one called a cube. It's 8'4'x71" but it's kinda triangle shaped at the top. It a third of the price of the gorilla

It is difficult when you have limited head space, but with thin light fixtures and good LST training, it's manageable. I'm not a fan of tents though due to their non negotiable size. With DIY rooms, you have the freedom to bust them out and make them bigger. I'm shutting down my 3 and building one big one with salvaged lumber. Each plant will get 3x3 feet, but it will be fine if older plants steal some space from younger plants. My current rooms now are basically grow tent size and I feel very restricted trying to manage the plant. I loath having to climb in there.

Is a DIY room an option for you? 2x3 lumber is cheap and you can easily frame a room using drywall screws and staple Panda film to the inside and that's it pretty much. Cut out a door and install a wooden door and you got a custom sized room for your space that's completely sealed.

....5%... NH4....Perhaps it's accumulating in the rock wool or maybe it's depositing too much nitrate in the leaves that adds up later on in life....
That’s what I keep reading, is that it has a way of accumulating and causing issues. 5% seems like a fairly low amount though.

That’s what I keep reading, is that it has a way of accumulating and causing issues. 5% seems like a fairly low amount though.

That book was fairly vague on this topic and suggested between 25% and 50% of total N. I started at 10% thinking I was playing it safe, lol. In the beginning, veg growth seemed to have picked up the pace, but after a while I guess the N accumulated which then made any more N toxic. My 2 biggest Glues in veg look like ass too. I plucked off the sickly looking leaves and I hope/pray the damage subsides because I do hate to put sickly plants into bloom and I need one ready to flip in a week as I'm starting flush today on one.

Highya SB,

I haven't read Doc Bud's journals for a while now, but he used to switch out NH4 and NO3 about 3 weeks into flowering stage. I don't remember which has a negative charge or positive charge, but had to do with the cationic drench. Then it was only for a couple weeks, then changed back. All that info is getting fuzzy now, it's been awhile. Cheers

Highya SB,

I haven't read Doc Bud's journals for a while now, but he used to switch out NH4 and NO3 about 3 weeks into flowering stage. I don't remember which has a negative charge or positive charge, but had to do with the cationic drench. Then it was only for a couple weeks, then changed back. All that info is getting fuzzy now, it's been awhile. Cheers

I looked at all of his products and I think the Cat drench is the only one with the ammoniacal N. Some growers believe that it's the acidity that forces the defensive response in the form of tric growth, but I like you, believe that it's the electrical shift thathas that effect. The problem with hydro is that the media is inert, so the PH more mirrors the solution, whereas in soil, the natural contents are mostly negatively charged, and it's like that for most of the earth. Also, in the solution, I've read that the charges will always be equal and balanced. So if all of the anions are counted, there will be an exact equal of cations, so even though I jacked up the ammonium phosphate, I didn't change the charge in the nutes, not even slightly.

Edit - I just looked again and noticed I was wrong and there is NH4 in the First Run Amendment, though I know that the NH4 will be uptaken first before the nitrate so that's mostly used by the time the Cat Drench is applied

It's like my plants look a bit worse the older they get now, so the youngest in bloom looks the best, the E Dog looks a mess, but still growing great and the Glue I'm taking down in a week looks about the worst. The Glue I just took looked the worst of them all and she was my lightest harvest ever, but I think I'm heading back to the productive healthy ranges I was at before starting with the high brix shit.
the high brix thing has been a battle for you trying to get that into your hydro grow but you never no unless you try I admire you for that im to chicken to take any big chances with my grow I take baby steps now just fugg em up a little lol!:)

the high brix thing has been a battle for you trying to get that into your hydro grow but you never no unless you try I admire you for that im to chicken to take any big chances with my grow I take baby steps now just fugg em up a little lol!:)

It's more intimidating if you're not certain what's in the bottles, but when you're the one putting the stuff in the bottles, it's easier to be confident when making minor tweaks. I thought my tweaks were minor, but were a bit more than I anticipated. Lessons have been learned and I am no longer trying to push my hydro into high brix. High brix is not an accurate way to measure health in hydro plants due to hydro plants having a lot more water in the cells whereas soil plants that have high brix are brought into drought territory much more frequently than a hydro plant would ever see. This causes plants to have diminished water content which translates into increased nutrient density.

I'm too chicken to try hydroponics at all. Let alone try advanced formulas. I'm trying to go all organic in soil. It's stressful enough :rofl: After our conversation about tents and grow spaces last night I went ahead and ordered the short 4'x8'x71". Mainly because I want to be able to move it around if need be. Was cheap 179$. Hopefully it's not a pos

It's more intimidating if you're not certain what's in the bottles, but when you're the one putting the stuff in the bottles, it's easier to be confident when making minor tweaks. I thought my tweaks were minor, but were a bit more than I anticipated. Lessons have been learned and I am no longer trying to push my hydro into high brix. High brix is not an accurate way to measure health in hydro plants due to hydro plants having a lot more water in the cells whereas soil plants that have high brix are brought into drought territory much more frequently than a hydro plant would ever see. This causes plants to have diminished water content which translates into increased nutrient density.
with watering the plants at my sisters are on automatic city water which isn't bad but it has chlorine in it plus they don't get watered as thoroughly so they suffer some if they were in my backyard I would be watering them myself and letting them go through a wet dry cycle sort of speak that helps to get the brix up of course it helps to have the rite ingredients in your soil im still learning about that!:)

I'm too chicken to try hydroponics at all. Let alone try advanced formulas. I'm trying to go all organic in soil. It's stressful enough :rofl: After our conversation about tents and grow spaces last night I went ahead and ordered the short 4'x8'x71". Mainly because I want to be able to move it around if need be. Was cheap 179$. Hopefully it's not a pos

IrieLion just moved into a 4x8 and that thing looks HUGE. I can't remember his head, but 71" is 6' which should be plenty high for SOG or quad line training. I'm too lazy for all of that, but wish I wasn't because plants trained out like that seem to always do fantastic by the end.

you should be able to get a good crop from that tent dankman I like the option of being able to move it although before the tent I just grew in the corner of the room walls on two sides it was nice to be able to get all around them its tough in the ten good luck bud!:)

with watering the plants at my sisters are on automatic city water which isn't bad but it has chlorine in it plus they don't get watered as thoroughly so they suffer some if they were in my backyard I would be watering them myself and letting them go through a wet dry cycle sort of speak that helps to get the brix up of course it helps to have the rite ingredients in your soil im still learning about that!:)

Pay attention to the elemental percents of each ingredient, even if those numbers make little sense now. Counting out the elements really is not difficult at all, especially when using an app that keeps all of those numbers in memory which makes it easier. I'm switching to dirt very soon, very very soon, and learning how the nutes are calculated is the same math used to plot out elements in soil. I still have to learn what the best ratios are, but ability to figure these things out from looking at other soils that growers use successfully will give me a leg up on making educated guesses for amending soils.

Pay attention to the elemental percents of each ingredient, even if those numbers make little sense now. Counting out the elements really is not difficult at all, especially when using an app that keeps all of those numbers in memory which makes it easier. I'm switching to dirt very soon, very very soon, and learning how the nutes are calculated is the same math used to plot out elements in soil. I still have to learn what the best ratios are, but ability to figure these things out from looking at other soils that growers use successfully will give me a leg up on making educated guesses for amending soils.
I like to play around some with different organic nutrients but like I said in small amounts Im anxious to see your soil grow perhaps we can learn a thing or two from each other its gunna be fun!:)

I like to play around some with different organic nutrients but like I said in small amounts Im anxious to see your soil grow perhaps we can learn a thing or two from each other its gunna be fun!:)

I just hope to survive the first try. Because I amended everything myself with different ingredients, it's possible I may have over shot some targets and I won't know till I put some clones in and observe whether they live or not, lol. Beyond that though, I view it as a hydro hybrid because the feeds are different nutrients grouped and alternated with plain water between everything. It does look to be a fairly fun experience though. I'm not looking forward to dealing with bugs though.

'm not looking forward to dealing with bugs though.
I here ya what kind of bugs have you seen there at your place the soil will bring in fungas gnats and if you aquire any clones keep them separate until you no there clean and you should be good when you go outside and do things in the yard I would change my cloths before going into the gr don't want to transport any little fuggars in there once in they thrive!

I've made a decision on not bringing in clones from outside ever again. 420 has me scared straight :rofl: I have seen too many horror stories on here. Besides I love to pop beans. Just have to be patient. Lol
I no do your own clones then you no ive learned my lesson about clones it cost me 6 nice plants never again I no this might sound funny but the gr is similar to a aquarium in that if you have a healthy tank going or grow don't introduce anything new it could be a big mistake!

Highya SB,

It'll be fun to watch you do soil growing. A lot of experience here on :420:. I know you'll be careful about getting advice and applying. I learned to trust my gut when accepting advice. That's how we learn, how we know what works for us individually. Cheers

I here ya what kind of bugs have you seen there at your place the soil will bring in fungas gnats and if you aquire any clones keep them separate until you no there clean and you should be good when you go outside and do things in the yard I would change my cloths before going into the gr don't want to transport any little fuggars in there once in they thrive!

Honestly, I never had bugs in my grows, never. I mean, maybe I had one here and there but they ate and left or died, but I've never had an infestation. I suspect because rockwool is inert and severely lacking in organic matter, insects never were attracted to my plants. This is my 3rd grow'cation and all 3 were bug free. My new room will be better sealed than my current rooms and I will filter the inlet air, and also plan to buy some tyvek full body lab suits, but I still think insects will still find their way in.

Honestly, I never had bugs in my grows, never. I mean, maybe I had one here and there but they ate and left or died, but I've never had an infestation. I suspect because rockwool is inert and severely lacking in organic matter, insects never were attracted to my plants. This is my 3rd grow'cation and all 3 were bug free. My new room will be better sealed than my current rooms and I will filter the inlet air, and also plan to buy some tyvek full body lab suits, but I still think insects will still find their way in.
sounds like youll have that room sealed up nice that will deffinately help I think you will fine in there I wish you good luck my friend may you get lbs.!:)

Back
Top Bottom