Skybound's Journal

Highya SB,

It'll be fun to watch you do soil growing. A lot of experience here on :420:. I know you'll be careful about getting advice and applying. I learned to trust my gut when accepting advice. That's how we learn, how we know what works for us individually. Cheers

The way I study is to verify information against other sources of information. If something is correct, it will be agreed upon widely and most sources I checked out thus far all seem to be aiming for a similar result of having a living organic soil loaded up with raw elements and robust and stimulated microbial colonies. As best I can tell, Doc's high brix kit is amended to keep Ca in very high concentrations in the soil as well as a good amount of microbe released P and the other macro levels are allowed to seesaw in concentrations while constantly reinforcing the Ca by adding more every 4th watering or every other. Most of the other soil blends I looked at try to stuff it all in to the soil and rely on the microbes to be the only source of food thereafter.

I’ve never had bugs in the grow using sunshine mix soilless out of the bag, Other than some mites, which were a gift from a friend with some clones. I definitely don’t associate the peat moss with bugs.
Now that I’ve started adding bunny turds to the plants more I've occasionally got a few harmless flies. If I start adding more worm castings and compost I suppose the door is open for them, but luckily we don’t have a lot of bugs where I live.

im excited to see your new set up and grow in soil together!:)

Me too man. The expensive part is done, I just need to get panda film for the 4 walls and ceiling, a large piece of linoleum for the floor and frame one new wall. To hit the ground running, I'm going to put one of my 600w HPS tubes in the middle of the room and adorn it with at least 16 COBs. The plan would be to get a large QB and swap out the HID in the middle, but having unused HIDs, I can open the whole room right up with existing gear, then just add a new plant a week irregardless of the size, so the first round chops will likely be small, 3-6 zips per plant and get heavier as I adjust to increased demand from veg. I hope to have it built and open in a month or so. I gotta sneak a veterinary visit into the budget, so things might get pushed back, but I'm gonna do whatever I gotta to get the new one started ASAP because 5 and 6 ounce chops lately have been painful and very restrictive on things I can do in the space between rounds.

Me too man. The expensive part is done, I just need to get panda film for the 4 walls and ceiling, a large piece of linoleum for the floor and frame one new wall. To hit the ground running, I'm going to put one of my 600w HPS tubes in the middle of the room and adorn it with at least 16 COBs. The plan would be to get a large QB and swap out the HID in the middle, but having unused HIDs, I can open the whole room right up with existing gear, then just add a new plant a week irregardless of the size, so the first round chops will likely be small, 3-6 zips per plant and get heavier as I adjust to increased demand from veg. I hope to have it built and open in a month or so. I gotta sneak a veterinary visit into the budget, so things might get pushed back, but I'm gonna do whatever I gotta to get the new one started ASAP because 5 and 6 ounce chops lately have been painful and very restrictive on things I can do in the space between rounds.
sounds like your almost there its going to take a bit to get used to soil growing but youll get it not that hard you should have plenty light in there well ill hang around and wait for the new set up we will likely be starting our next grows about the same time that will be cool!:)

Hey Sky, just swinging by and catching up - hope you're doing well! :passitleft:

I believe I am out of the woods with N toxicity from the extra NH4. Here is the big Pineapple Chunk that is my youngest in bloom and aside from that one cooked leaf in the middle of the canopy, all the rest of the leaves look great and she bushed out very nicely. I look forward to chopping her in 6 and half weeks.

PC close.jpg
PC crisp leaf.jpg
PCfar.jpg

Here's the Veg closet. The 2 big Glues look in pretty bad shape from being fed too much NH4 which locked up the Ca and spotted and twisted about half of the leaves. All of the younger plants look healthy and clean like the PC and I'm hesitating to select one of the healthy, but much smaller Em Dogs for bloom in 3 days or take the chance and send one of the bigger Glues and hope for the best. Oh decisions decisions! I do hope this is the closing stretch of NH4 damage so I could get back to heavy harvests and get my new room built and soil prepped and cooked.

Vleft.jpg
Vmid.jpg
Vright.jpg

Glad it's back on track. That PC is a big bitch

I'm glad I grew her. The peeps like her that's for sure. I think she's a decent high too. I'll probably keep her line going for at least a few more months.

it looks like there turning around I would just keep doing what your doing like you said the new growth looks good I think I might have seen a little mag def on one of those pics not sure but there going to be ok!:)

There prolly was some mag mixed in there too. Mag is also a cat, so likely the added NH4 kicked them all out of whack.

Awesome! That's the one I thought might work, though there was limited info on Amazon regarding the tolerances of the QB. It just says 36V 2000mA max.

It'll still be a couple months before I order them, and I'll open the room under a single 600w Hortilux with my 18 COBs circling the HID, but I do hope to find more powerful QBs in that price range. I was looking at the 4 board Spider Farmer, and those only draw 450 watts of wall juice, and that's about where I'd like to be, though that setup is $600. I realize that with LED I'm drawing less power, but I don't want to fool myself into not using enough power to make light. I obviously need to do a bit more brushing up on whats out there and what will make the most light. I have a dedicated mini split for the room, so I will definitely be able to drive the lights much harder and still remain at safe temps.

The mini split is a real game changer for the environment. I'm really digging my basement. It's temp controls match the house. Few degrees cooler on average. Environment is key to success I'm finding. I always chased it at my old house
environment is huge and im usually chasing it to when it gets into October and cools some it will be a good time! :)

environment is huge and im usually chasing it to when it gets into October and cools some it will be a good time! :)

Maybe soon I'll actually be able to concern myself with VPD and have the ability to manage the climate. The mini split is also a heater when the outdoors are above 5º F which might be about half of my avg winter. I just took another shit harvest so my timeline likely will get pushed a couple more weeks. The coming Em Dog I expect to be a decent harvest so hopefully I can get the room built then. Aside from charging the AC, all I really need to do is frame one wall, remove a ceiling fixture, case off a window and line the walls and ceiling with panda film.

Back
Top Bottom