Smokiemcpot's Perpetual Pot Plant Paradise

nutrient chart N only.jpg

For future reference, save this somewhere (it blows up a lot bigger than this displays):
nutrient chart.jpg
Search for the PDF version on line. It blows up even more. That makes reading it easier on my aging eyes.

Would you believe nitrogen deficiency or nitrogen toxicity? I'll be upping the nitrogen ppm to 106 on today's feeding as per farsides wizard magic recipes :)

For those playing along at home, this is what my spreadsheet came up with, along with referring to GH's site for proportions. Using the products he has on hand:

5ml Gro
5ml Micro
2.5ml Bloom
4ml Cal Mag
1ml Diamond Nectar
4ml Armor Si
1ml Rapid Start

2-1-3 N-P-K and 106 ppm of N.

For those playing along at home, this is what my spreadsheet came up with, along with referring to GH's site for proportions. Using the products he has on hand:

5ml Gro
5ml Micro
2.5ml Bloom
4ml Cal Mag
1ml Diamond Nectar
4ml Armor Si
1ml Rapid Start

2-1-3 N-P-K and 106 ppm of N.

What volume of water is this for?

So I made up that mixture using a gallon of distilled 0 ec, 0 ppm water and this is what Im getting after phing to 5.9
IMG_20190710_174023.jpg
IMG_20190710_173907.jpg

Idk what the whole ec thing means in full scientific detail or even how to properly read the meter lol. I know it means electrical conductivity but that's about it lol I'll read more into it.

These numbers looks alright to those of you know what they actually mean?
@farside05 @InTheShed @Old Salt

If there is a decimal point, then your EC is 1.588. To convert EC to PPM is just x1000/2, so 1588 / 2 = 794, so close to the PPM reading in the second pic.

When I used to mix up FoxFarms nutes and measure the PPM, that's a number I would be close to later in veg, shortly before flip. I don't use the nutes you have so I don't know what numbers they recommend for each stage of growth though.

TDS = Total Dissolved Solids, measured in PPM or Parts Per Million
EC = Electrical Conductivity measured in µS/cm
Both are measured in the devices we use by passing an electrical current through the nutrient solution. The relationship between EC and TDS is often expressed as EC = PPM * 1000/2 for sodium chloride (salt) solutions.

OK, that's the background. The more nutrients you add to your solution, the higher the EC and TDS. Both are a measure of the strength of your nutrient solution. Now, how are they used? The water you use will have both an EC and TDS. It's much higher in municipal and well water, than in water from an RO, or distilled water. As you add nutrients to the water, the EC and TDS will rise. When you have added the proper amount of nutrients and take am EC or TDS measurement you will get a basis for that stage of your growth.

If you are running a drain to waste system, that measurement will not change appreciably for the seven day or less life of your nutrient solution. You may see some adhere to the walls and bottom of your nutrient container, but the EC/TDS will not change much.

If you run a system where the run off is pumped back into a reservoir, or a non-recirculating system like DWC where the roots are constantly in the nutrient solution, the plant(s) are constantly pulling nutrients and water from it. This changes the EC/TDS of your nutrient solution as ALL of it is available to your plant. For these systems it's a daily task to bring the strength back to its original value. If the TDS is too high, you add water, too low and you need to add nutrients. As the week goes by, your plants also use up water, increasing the TDS.

So, in summary, TDS or EC is used to measure the conductivity of our nutrient solutions. The higher the EC or TDS reading, the stronger our nutrient solution is.

The EC/TDS of the nutrient solution does not matter when it is first mixed. What matters is the accurate measurement of the water, and everything you add to it.

When everything is accurately mixed, take an EC/TDS reading if you recycle the run off in a drain-to-waste system or you use another type of hydroponics. This becomes your target when you adjust that solution.

If you run drain-to-waste, EC/TDS simply does not matter.

I do not recommend coco for anything but a drain-to-waste system, as the nutrient solution will pick up material from the coco and change the EC/TDS. This will make it very difficult to bring the run off back into spec as far as the nutrients are concerned. I don't re-cycle my run off. I use it to water my lawn. ;)

Back
Top Bottom