Snax First Poor Man's Grow Journal 2015 - I'm A Novice & All Help Is Welcome

Hullo Snax! Great basement post. :)

In my first grow I got it into my head that nutes were central to growing. Now I know they are not. If the soil is good and the plant is healthy, then they really are not necessary. In fact, it's pretty easy to overdo feeding and - as I did - burn the girls and stunt their growth. Especially when they are young like your babies. Less really is more. :)

I don't know the brand you have there, but it sounds like the usual 3-stage bottles - one for veg growth, one for blooming and one for maximising your buds. If you want to, by all means give it a go, but please not yet! They look perfectly happy in your soil.

If/when you feed, remember:
1. Water the girls first. Otherwise you can burn the roots.
2. Start with quarter-strength, maximum.
3. Watch them! You will see if they respond well or not.
4. Be led by your plants, not by a feeding schedule.

:circle-of-love:

Hullo Snax! Great basement post. :)

In my first grow I got it into my head that nutes were central to growing. Now I know they are not. If the soil is good and the plant is healthy, then they really are not necessary. In fact, it's pretty easy to overdo feeding and - as I did - burn the girls and stunt their growth. Especially when they are young like your babies. Less really is more. :)

I don't know the brand you have there, but it sounds like the usual 3-stage bottles - one for veg growth, one for blooming and one for maximising your buds. If you want to, by all means give it a go, but please not yet! They look perfectly happy in your soil.

If/when you feed, remember:
1. Water the girls first. Otherwise you can burn the roots.
2. Start with quarter-strength, maximum.
3. Watch them! You will see if they respond well or not.
4. Be led by your plants, not by a feeding schedule.

Thanks Mr Teddy, your advice is well taken. I talked to a few people this morning and they said they grow perfectly good big yielding plants without nutes and was told most people fail because of nutes they have added. the last thing i want to do is kill my first ever lady so i think i will be playing this one safe and go all natural.

Three days ago I watered my three girls.....and gave them a quarter strength bloom feed. On checking them today, what do I find but tiny traces of nute burn on the Blueberry. Nothing serious but.....

Do as I say, not as I do! :rofl:

Deadly dungeon post Snax, cracking so it is your set up! I'm a first time grower also and got a couple of autos on the go. I'm subd as I wanna see how those skunk turn out! I got 2 THC Bombs on the go, (flushing stage) looking pretty good so they are :) Can see I've got the same propagator as you, I didn't use it this time round, got it coz im in uk also, colder parts lol, but I just planted straight into final pot and it worked great! Happy growing bud and check mines out if you ain't too busy :) :peace:

Thanks DaTenshi, i think i can tell when shes hungry mostly by the weight of the pot and just checking the soil. i dont want to leave it to long to were she starts to get dehydrated but i dont want to over do it so this part of things is a big guess for me right now.
When your in flower, would you mind if i ask what nutes you use? and would you recommend anything different with it being an autoflower since i know you like your autos?
In flowering I use only molasses and banana (either powder or tea), as for the first 2-3 weeks anything with high nitrogen, but of course not full strenght

In flowering I use only molasses and banana (either powder or tea), as for the first 2-3 weeks anything with high nitrogen, but of course not full strenght
Tell us more about this banana usage daT...

Tell us more about this banana usage daT...

:)

Powder is my preferred way to give the girls, simply take some banana peels and place on a oven sheet, and cook at high temp until they blacken completely then grind them into a powder (can be mixed with water and even sprinkled as a top dressing), or soak some banana peels (even a whole banana) in some water and leave 12-24 hours until the water becomes black.

Plenty of ways to give the girls this, but don't ask for proportions, to be honest I do it by "feeling" or dumb luck :rofl:

So been M.I.A. for about a week with a busy start to my new year so sorry to all those waiting for an update on the Little Lady or (Sexy Lexie) as my friend calls her. Ha.
Kinda lost track on what day i'm on but i'm guessing its about 14 or 15. Had some trouble with Temps in the grow tent this week because it's been so cold here at night but things are getting better and she's still loving life. This is just a short and sweet update with a few new pic's from Day 7 to day 14/15 and will put up a better update through the week. Thanks for all the advice i have been getting and keep it coming. Have a nice day. :)

Day 7
20150113_223031.jpg

20150113_223046.jpg

20150113_223123.jpg

Day 9
20150116_091603.jpg

20150116_091643.jpg

20150116_091654.jpg

20150116_092008.jpg

Day 12
20150118_194154.jpg

20150118_194228-1.jpg

20150118_194228.jpg

20150118_194323.jpg

Day 14/15
20150120_095259.jpg

20150120_095309.jpg

20150120_095314.jpg

20150120_095441.jpg

Looks decent so far. May I suggest moving the plant closer to the light? Use old vhs cases or books or whatever ya want to raise the plant within 2 inches from the light and as the plant grows take away a level of height but always stay within that inch or 2. Just a suggestion. For the age of your plant is looks good but with that extra light from when you put the plant close could of added more leaves to the plant at its age. Keep up the good work.

Looks decent so far. May I suggest moving the plant closer to the light? Use old vhs cases or books or whatever ya want to raise the plant within 2 inches from the light and as the plant grows take away a level of height but always stay within that inch or 2. Just a suggestion. For the age of your plant is looks good but with that extra light from when you put the plant close could of added more leaves to the plant at its age. Keep up the good work.

Thanks SmokerJoe. It's been about 2 or 3 inches away for a few weeks but I think it's struggling with the temperature bouncing up and down with the weather we have been having here. I have tried to put it even closer but it is growing that fast it started touching one of the cfls so had to back it off again. Im having to check on it twice a day to move it so it don't get burnt. Will try and keep it as close as I can until I get my new lights sorted out.
It's about day 21/22 and the forth set of leaves are only just coming out so I know it's behind about a week in growth but hopefully it will catch up. Was thinking about putting it into a bigger pot but not sure on when to transplant it. I was told to transplant it once it got to veg stage from seedling stage but not sure when the two stages are so been doing alot of reading and everyone seems to have a different time of when seedling ends and veg begins.
Tried to upload some new pictures but it keeps crashing my phone so will do it from the computer later.. Thanks for all the advice and im trying to take it all in as much as possible so keep it coming.
Hope everyone is having a great day.

More light. Subscribed like the grows location.

Thanks Dutty Panty. On average for a cfl grow what amount of cfls should I have on per plant. Right now I have 4, 30 watt = 120watt, 64000k cfls. I have never really looked into the amount of light it is equivalent to and not even sure if that matters. I'm just going off what I know from growing stuff with my girls. I have noticed there are alot of dark spots between the cfls so planning on fixing it tonight or tomorrow and hopefully it works.

I'm not experienced with cfl use. I use t5's throughout veg.

But i would throw some more light on them. But I'm all about the extra lumens.

I respect how clean it's all looking for sure.

I'm not experienced with cfl use. I use t5's throughout veg.

But i would throw some more light on them. But I'm all about the extra lumens.

I respect how clean it's all looking for sure.

Thanks Dutty Panty. Will throw some more light down on them. I will ask around on the cfls per plant because I mite need to get some new lights if these won't be strong enough.
Thanks again.

Some people have great results. I just never tried. I was metal halide for years then switched to t5 and would never go back.

Will look into the T5's because could be a good option for my grow. But then again I would have to switch to high power lights once it goes into flower and I cant go down that route.
Just been on your monthly garden page and wow thats a nice operation you got there. I wish but could see that being super expensive and way past my budget for a poor mans grow. Subbed

Back
Top Bottom