SoilGirl's Organic In & Out Journal 2015

Ahhh, the gang gathers. Good times ahead. :party:

I had to smile Girl, because your influence pushed me to be better at my own journaling.

Thank you For your concern. He's still pulling breath, though harder and harder. It's fascinating how long the body will continue to hold onto life in the end. We are very close to the end now.

I'm subbed - good to see you back again and from the looks of it you are out of the blocks full steam a head there!! Great job... lets hang in the outdoor garden, throw sum'tin in the smoker kick back and do some burnin!!

7' plants not out of the question - bend em and tie em, show the girls you're the boss lady in da house!
Haha you're right bob, what, have I already forgotten everything it took to flux? I'm sure with a little heavy-handedness I can bring my big OG's under control. :) Thanks for re-sparking that interest. I've got to do a little training this summer. I was just planning on letting most grow as naturally as possible though.

Thank you for the kind words, I'm glad to have you here. I hope I can impress. I've gotta see how your latest LOS grow's going. Cya soon! :Namaste:
Hey SoilGirl...thanks for invitation. Glad you've returned. :Namaste:
Hi bright! Very welcome. I'm glad to be back. You told me the Jamaican OG was good stuff, I can't wait to see how it turns out, and Cheese and White Widow are new for me as well..its so awesome having some variety going. ;) With any luck I'll end up with a giant stash this fall. What are you up to lately? :Namaste:

Ahhh, the gang gathers. Good times ahead. :party:

I had to smile Girl, because your influence pushed me to be better at my own journaling.

Thank you For your concern. He's still pulling breath, though harder and harder. It's fascinating how long the body will continue to hold onto life in the end. We are very close to the end now.

I'm sorry Sue.. that must be hard to see. idk what else to say.. they hit it spot on saying how lucky he is to have someone like you there holding his hand at the end. I hope I end up with someone half as great as Dale sounded through you. :hug: I'll always remember your stories.

You're right though. There will be good times ahead. :love:

Grow Ponderings...

OK. I face another kind of dilemma and I hope some of you handy dandy 420 folks might be able to help me out. :) I find myself growing indoors in a space that, while functionally growing my plants, is hot enough to make me sweat pretty much 24/7. I broke my meter so no RH or temp readings for the moment (Note to Self: ORDER RH/TEMP METER) but its getting bad, and I only have 1 t5 and my Mars II 1600 LED on the veg setting running at the moment. I definitely can't keep this garage running through the summer as is.... I have a few hundred bucks and I might be willing to buy a grow tent with an air cooling system, or maybe a sort of space cooler.

I really want to keep the garage running, not at full winter capacity, but enough to really build up a stash like I couldn't last year. I want it to last, and then some... Have plenty for making oils and edibles and messing around with recipes and trying to make hash a few different ways, I have big plans. :grinjoint: I think if I can about double my last year's yields then I'll be in a good place.

Here you come in. I don't know anything about legit grow tents, or air cooling systems, or their prices. Maybe a sponsor has a great deal right now? Lol maybe I could get a sponsor for that... I'd certainly show off their tent ;) (hey worth a shot lol!) ... Any ideas?

If I had to give a number.... I'd say 600$ is the absolute tops I can spend, and I'd only be willing to for something I'll get my moneys worth out of. I'd much rather keep it in the 300-400 range, or below if there's any good deals.

If I had to give a size of tent, maybe a 4x4 or 5x5, or something more unorthodox like this: GrowLab 145L (9'6" x 4'9" x 6'7") - Perfect Gardens ... I can make just about any size tent work in there. I just have to make sure I can cool it.

Ok. Hope you can help thanks! :cheer:

Thanks daT!! :love: I'm so happy to be back too. I wonder whats going on with your grow lately! Missed you too. I'm gonna go get some pics ok. Brb :)

I haven't made a journal for this summer, did make some changes around in my professional life :laughtwo: quit my old job, and started for a month now working at a bank and was crazy busy. As for what I'm growing, as always I never stop :rofl: growing is addictive, got some photoperiod girls out on the balcony, one is revegging (no idea why she was flowering in the first place) and inside there are some autoflower seedings. Looking at a long wait until some buds!

The girls looking amazing as always, the ones outside will be monsters!

:circle-of-love:

We've watched you grow for a while now and if you can do it, go with bigger. It's where you always end up anyway, so plan for that eventuality. Are you dry enough there to be able to use a swamp cooler? My thought here was increased humidity too, but then, you'll be needing to keep humidity down during flowering, and it's going to be hottest during that phase, so maybe not.

I know nothing about tents. Mine was a gift, so I didn't do any research. I actually thought I'd be growing in that Tiny Closet for a couple years. Hahaha! This community had other plans.

I'm sure you'll find the right solution for your garden SoilGirl. Somewhere in the gallery is the member with the answer you seek. :love:

Can't you tell? We see her little toes in the picture all the time :p
Hahaha :) I'm glad my influence has brought some toes out of hiding.
I haven't made a journal for this summer, did make some changes around in my professional life :laughtwo: quit my old job, and started for a month now working at a bank and was crazy busy. As for what I'm growing, as always I never stop :rofl: growing is addictive, got some photoperiod girls out on the balcony, one is revegging (no idea why she was flowering in the first place) and inside there are some autoflower seedings. Looking at a long wait until some buds!

The girls looking amazing as always, the ones outside will be monsters!

Aw I hope you will make a journal! I understand if you're too busy though. Cool, congrats on the new job! A bank though...? I hope you have a big stash! :laughtwo:

And of course you haven't stopped :) Awesome that you're doing some photo strains though! I hear you about the revegging hahah... grr. My own fault though. Growing is too addictive to stop.. And you're an autoflower addict so those will always be in your garden too I'm sure ;) I hope they bring you buds sooner than later! Thanks for the kind words, I'm excited for these plants. :Namaste:
We've watched you grow for a while now and if you can do it, go with bigger. It's where you always end up anyway, so plan for that eventuality. Are you dry enough there to be able to use a swamp cooler? My thought here was increased humidity too, but then, you'll be needing to keep humidity down during flowering, and it's going to be hottest during that phase, so maybe not.

I know nothing about tents. Mine was a gift, so I didn't do any research. I actually thought I'd be growing in that Tiny Closet for a couple years. Hahaha! This community had other plans.

I'm sure you'll find the right solution for your garden SoilGirl. Somewhere in the gallery is the member with the answer you seek. :love:
You're right, I don't want to buy something that'll be too small in the future. I think if a tent, at least a 5 x 5... and I think I might actually sacrifice some space in my own room for it. (the horror!).... then I'll have even more space, and more importantly, it's two separate circuits in my house, so I can potentially draw more power and have a bigger grow during winter, and retire the garage for most of the summer. Actually. I think that's exactly what I'm going to do, look into a sturdy 5x5 that can hold up my heavy lights, and a decent air conditioner for my room, then I'll get all the add ons for the tent, carbon filter, (My mom doesn't want her house smelling like weed, go figure, just the garage, my room, and her breath.. Hahahaha love you mom. :)) air ducting, a fan, ...whatever else there is. I need to do some research, does anyone know a good place to start, someone to ask here? Thanks. Otherwise I'm just going to look at the perfect gardens site for now lol.

...no manners, thanks so much Sue. :love: now off I run.

:ciao: SG
My Secret Jardin 4x4 tent is rather underwhelming. It's not the cheapest tent, and after only 1 1/2 grows the thin material is showing light leaks, (now attractively taped over :cheesygrinsmiley:). Also the corner and cross-beam fixtures are plastic, not metal. Verdict: disappointing.

As your friendly, local Moderator I would indeed urge you to visit our Sponsors.

A tent in your air conditioned bedroom sounds much better than a tent in the garage, added A/C or not.
Is your bedroom window street visible? (Do you have to be stealthy?) or can you run your tent exhaust right out your window?

p.s. I was recently pointed towards the Active Air in-line fan and a speed controller. In 6" 400 CFM trim it looks like a good fan an both are listed for a delivered price of $115. A filter is probably best purchased locally because of shipping costs. The cheapo 115 CFM duct fan I just installed is worth less than the $24 I paid.

Gorilla tents are consensus best on market. No concerns over light leaks, off gassing or weak structural supports or zippers. Suggest Vortex S-line fans, quiet w/ lifetime guarantee.

Tents aren't easy to cool in hot weather without AC. Running AC 12/18 hrs./day can be costly. I shut down indoors in June & July & start again in Aug. but at lower light wattage during veg. so heat is manageable.:Namaste:

:ciao: SG
My Secret Jardin 4x4 tent is rather underwhelming. It's not the cheapest tent, and after only 1 1/2 grows the thin material is showing light leaks, (now attractively taped over :cheesygrinsmiley:). Also the corner and cross-beam fixtures are plastic, not metal. Verdict: disappointing.

As your friendly, local Moderator I would indeed urge you to visit our Sponsors.
Oh goodness its the Baron of Buddington, and I haven't tidied up a bit. You're my hero :adore: Milord Moderator Teddy. I applaud you for your criticism, that was very helpful. :love: Secret Jardin has been crossed off, and I was looking at those. I've heard a few times now that the gorilla's are best. I'll shop around a bit still though, the sponsors are certainly worth checking out. :) :thanks:

A tent in your air conditioned bedroom sounds much better than a tent in the garage, added A/C or not.
Is your bedroom window street visible? (Do you have to be stealthy?) or can you run your tent exhaust right out your window?

p.s. I was recently pointed towards the Active Air in-line fan and a speed controller. In 6" 400 CFM trim it looks like a good fan an both are listed for a delivered price of $115. A filter is probably best purchased locally because of shipping costs. The cheapo 115 CFM duct fan I just installed is worth less than the $24 I paid.
Uhm the bedroom window I'm planning on using shouldn't be street visible so I suppose I can duct air out of it if need be. (Yes - I would like to be stealthy, in legal terms, *ehem* I might currently have a couple more plants than I feel completely comfortable having at one time... :smokin:)

I'm glad you like the bedroom idea though, I like it too. I think I'm gonna go through with it. It's time I got a decent tent. I finally have a little income so why not. Active air inline fan and speed controller - duly noted my good wizard. And thank you for the advice about the CFM fan and filter. I will look into a local deal for the filter and try and get this moving. You rock! Thanks! :circle-of-love:
Hey that 10 gal smart pot you are using? Would you say that is or isn't big enough to fit two plants in?
Sure, but I prefer to keep it to one ganja per pot myself. I'm a traditional girl. Lol. :)
Gorilla tents are consensus best on market. No concerns over light leaks, off gassing or weak structural supports or zippers. Suggest Vortex S-line fans, quiet w/ lifetime guarantee.

Tents aren't easy to cool in hot weather without AC. Running AC 12/18 hrs./day can be costly. I shut down indoors in June & July & start again in Aug. but at lower light wattage during veg. so heat is manageable.:Namaste:
Also duly noted about the Vortex S-line, and I will be looking more seriously at the Gorilla tents. :Namaste: Thank you bright.

I'm sure the cooling could pose a problem all summer long for me on my own, but my parents run coolers like crazy in here anyways, I don't think they're very worried about the electric bill as much as being comfortably cool/verging on cold this time of year haha. And if I have to buy a little window AC unit ... oh well. I kind of want one. It gets hot at night in my room and I like sleeping in a cold room. hmm.. you do have a good system shutting down indoors for a couple months though. I originally planned on that... but idk, I guess I'll figure it out.

Thank you for coming by! :cheesygrinsmiley:

Alright so I've been searching for deals online and I think I can get the Gorilla 5x5 Grow Tent for around 363$, and the active air inline fan and controller for only 115$ like rado said. I'd like to get the vortex series, but they're more expensive and I actually wouldn't mind a little more white noise in here at night. As long as its constant it'll actually help me sleep haha. I'm excited. I'll be a little less excited when I get the dreaded bank statement but oh well. All in the life of an aspiring grower I suppose.

I guess that means I'd need 6 inch ducting too..I wonder how much I should order, if there's any certain kind I should order..? :hmmmm:

If I have to get a window AC unit after that I'm spent but oh well. The pain will turn to gain. :Namaste: ..are there any other accessories I'm forgetting... oh right the filter and little meter. argh. :laughtwo: I'll find a way..

Thanks GhettoGro, nice to have you join us! :) I love growing outdoors. Indoors is great but idk, something about seeing cannabis thrive in its natural environment is just magical. And I also love organics. So if you like those things I don't think you'll be disappointed! As far as teaching the more notables here, Lol maybe I will, maybe not, but I'll try and repay the favor at least since they've definitely taught me! :Namaste:

Alright so I've been searching for deals online and I think I can get the Gorilla 5x5 Grow Tent for around 363$, and the active air inline fan and controller for only 115$ like rado said. I'd like to get the vortex series, but they're more expensive and I actually wouldn't mind a little more white noise in here at night. As long as its constant it'll actually help me sleep haha. I'm excited. I'll be a little less excited when I get the dreaded bank statement but oh well. All in the life of an aspiring grower I suppose.

I guess that means I'd need 6 inch ducting too..I wonder how much I should order, if there's any certain kind I should order..? :hmmmm:

If I have to get a window AC unit after that I'm spent but oh well. The pain will turn to gain. :Namaste: ..are there any other accessories I'm forgetting... oh right the filter and little meter. argh. :laughtwo: I'll find a way..

You won't need the filter until pre-flowering starts, so that can wait a month, or until your next paycheck. You could start without it :)
Besides, I want to see pictures soon !!!

I know we get rowdy SoilGirl. Chalk it up to deprivation. LOL! Face it, you do the most amazing updates. :love:

You won't need the filter until pre-flowering starts, so that can wait a month, or until your next paycheck. You could start without it :)
Besides, I want to see pictures soon !!!
Thanks Rado I might do just that! I still haven't made any orders because of some confusion with my online bank profile >.< but soon. I'm so excited!

And I'm sure your wizardly eyes will find what they want to see very soon! ;)
I know we get rowdy SoilGirl. Chalk it up to deprivation. LOL! Face it, you do the most amazing updates. :love:
:laughtwo: You all have every right to get rowdy! I'm very sorry for the deprivation. But I'm back and I'm an irrepressible Sagittarius just like you said, :circle-of-love: The grow must go on! And every grow needs a little charm. :hippy:
All caught up and subbed ... saw your sig in Sue's first grow... Im just starting a Blue Blood myself.
Wasn't her first grow just amazing? I wish I had the patience to do that with CFL's haha :) Glad to have you along Digital! That Blue Blood is a cool plant, the one from the first post this journal yielded about 5 o's for me. That pheno has a very odd flavor, not quite blueberry, not quite og, it actually gave a sort of fresh, sweet marjoram-like aftertaste. Very herby/floral. My only problem was my stems didn't get thick and sturdy enough so the buds fell over haha/ If I were you I'd do as many SST's from organic popcorn during flower as possible or do foliar sprays with potassium silicate for your BB.

I'm currently doing an SST every 3-4 days (I'm always going to be sprouting either popcorn or alfalfa - popcorn gives Cytokinins - great for side branching and stem girth. Alfalfa gives Triacontanol - a powerful plant growth stimulant and regulator. I'd also be sprouting barley if I didn't have a small bag of malted barley from BAS on its way - for beta glucanases, xylanases, and its enzymes' positive effect on proteolysis. barley enzymes break down organic matter like crazy in laymen's terms... :))

Hope that helps! Sorry, if you're here you'll have to get used to my long wind. :love:

For my Rowdy (and Rad! :tommy:) Subscribers...

Update 6-22-15!

Let's start off with my big, happy, relaxed OG Kush (PR), stretching for the sun. Isn't she a beauty?

0622151503.jpg

Just gorgeous...

0622151504.jpg

Well I hope you didn't get too attached to her gorgeous shape and those lovely tops! Because I decided she needed a make-over. And I wasn't completely gentle...

0622151520.jpg

This technique is called supercropping. For those unfamiliar, you find a green stem and pinch it where you want to bend it, then slowly bend it over trying not to snap. I could have been more patient, I broke 2 tops about halfway through and tied them back up, hopefully they'll recover.
But either way, this opened up that OG so much that I know this will benefit the plant - plus I can't let it get any taller or it will be peeking into my neighbor's yards, it isn't even fully flowering yet, and this strain goes through a big stretch in flower.

0622151520a.jpg

LEFT: Blue Blood RIGHT: Jamaican OG...looking pretty happy after their SST today. (Oh did I mention I gave all my plants a popcorn SST today?)

0622151521.jpg

Red Cherry Berry bud-on-a-stick: lovely smell. Very fruity. not bad!

0622151522.jpg

I moved the Dinafem White Widow into my old Diesel Cabdriver's pot yesterday, which held a weird soil I had experimented with, and proved itself a nice mix. During transplant it got a dusting of mykos and azos, then I topped it off with some LOS amendments, a little Excellerite/Azomite, Yum Yum mix, and worm castings. Watered in with an SST it showed no transplant shock whatsoever and just kept growing :) - If it grows up enough/has a long enough veg I'll up-pot it into a full 10g LOS/ROLS, if not I'll let it go full circle in this pot.

0622151523.jpg

My 2 outdoor Jamaican OG clones are taking well to their new pots now, but the one Loki peed in had a problem day or two. Poor clone, I don't blame her being upset. What a dreadful start to her new life, lol. Good news: he's been keeping his distance since the chase. :laughtwo:

0622151524.jpg
0622151524a.jpg

My Diesel mother is starting to re-veg like crazy. Messy... but promising.

0622151525.jpg

My indoor Jamaican OG clone has been looking rather...scraggly, I admit. But it brings to mind my BBK clone from last journal. You see scraggle. I see promise. :)

0622151526.jpg

Here's Ultrasour (left) and Cheese (right)...

0622151526a.jpg

Here's the two Euphoria seedlings - The second one quickly sprouted and surpassed the first. I wonder if the first will ever pick up? It's going really slow. Oh well.. 'til the fat lady sings. ;)

0622151526b.jpg

Now, in the front pot I have a Rokerij White Widow bean that I'm hopeful for. In the back pot, a CH9 Jack, which might not sprout unfortunately, seems like a dud. We'll see.

0622151527.jpg

Well that's all for now :) unless you want to see some popcorn sprouts I let go a bit too long.... here's those. :laughtwo: :ciao:

0618151323.jpg

Back
Top Bottom