SoilGirl's Organic In & Out Journal 2015

Good to have another loquacious journalist among us again. I just tell them I'm known for being a wordy wench! :laughtwo:

Everyone is looking tip-top SoilGirl. Loving the looks of the Red Cherry Berry Bud-on-a-stick. I bet that smells amazing! You are so lucky to be able to grow outdoors. I can't remember where I saw the post about someone who would supercrop his outdoor plants by simply tossing a heavy piece of rebar screen for a construction site on top of the plant, smashing it down on the process. Then he would leave it to recover and when he returned he had massive tops and a reasonably even canopy.

Duggan recommends you gently massage the stem to soften it and prepare it for the crush of supercropping. He's amazingly gentle with them. It gives me tingles sometimes to hear him talk about his girls. Kind of the same way my heart starts beating faster when I know Graytail has gone into teaching mode on training. Hahaha! Soil nerds. We're all just crazy and wonderful soil nerds.

You know so much more about all this than I do yet SoilGirl. My world has been dominated with Dale's health challenges. I look forward to learning more from you.

Thanks for the invite SoilGirl, it's good to see you back.

You were my inspiration for going organic and that's what my growing style is now. I thank you for that :thumb:

I'm looking forward to your grows very much.

It's good to see you have decided to go with a tent indoors and not the garage as you would just be drawing in the heat from the garage into the tent so there was no benefit there.

Rock on SG, here is some green love should you need any :green_heart:

Good to have another loquacious journalist among us again. I just tell them I'm known for being a wordy wench! :laughtwo:

Everyone is looking tip-top SoilGirl. Loving the looks of the Red Cherry Berry Bud-on-a-stick. I bet that smells amazing! You are so lucky to be able to grow outdoors. I can't remember where I saw the post about someone who would supercrop his outdoor plants by simply tossing a heavy piece of rebar screen for a construction site on top of the plant, smashing it down on the process. Then he would leave it to recover and when he returned he had massive tops and a reasonably even canopy.

Duggan recommends you gently massage the stem to soften it and prepare it for the crush of supercropping. He's amazingly gentle with them. It gives me tingles sometimes to hear him talk about his girls. Kind of the same way my heart starts beating faster when I know Graytail has gone into teaching mode on training. Hahaha! Soil nerds. We're all just crazy and wonderful soil nerds.

You know so much more about all this than I do yet SoilGirl. My world has been dominated with Dale's health challenges. I look forward to learning more from you.
Aw Sue I just :love: you. :) Thanks so much for all the kind words. :rofl: Sorry I took so long to reply. I've been a space cadet today, buzzing from thing to thing.

I know I'm lucky. :battingeyelashes: Outdoor growing is so easy lol. Freaking gnats last indoor season drove me insane, not to mention those awful black soldier flies that scared me half to death every time I went in my garage. :thedoubletake: My indoor setups need some adjusting LOL. No more worm farming in the garage for me. Why on earth didn't I leave my worm bins in the shed for winter?? All they did was infest my garage with an endless stream of pests! Outdoors I'm having zero pest problems, I haven't sprayed a thing or found any real damage from pests. In fact, the plants I take outside from the garage get cured of gnats and mealybugs in a snap of the fingers. It's ridiculous, I can spray all I want indoors and still find a mealybug or two afterwards, but after a day outside..zip. There must be some fierce predation going on out there. :laughtwo:

But yeah not just because of the pests... Outdoor growing is just amazing.. we can only nurture our plants so much compared to mother nature. So many factors that effect the growth in so many ways, the sun, the moon, gravity, the atmosphere, paramagnetism, weather, biology.. seeing my plants thriving as part of the ecosystem is amazing. Mankind likes to think it has power over nature, but we can only mimic it.. so far.

I can't remember where but I saw that post too!! LOL I probably could have pulled something like that off with my OG, but those methods are a bit crude for my taste. Maybe if I had fields of it growing... :) a girl can dream...

....sadly I did not have the deft hands of Duggan :laughtwo: - I'm sure I could have taken my time with that OG and gotten perfect results I just didn't want to sit there all day doing that hahah. I was even getting sweaty being out there as long as it took me to batter those limbs down like a hurricane. :rofl: I figured I'd break a couple, no harm done. (Did I just call someone's methods crude..? right.. :wood:)

Don't you just love a man about his business in the garden, whether its Duggan and his light touch or Graytail and his strict training? :circle-of-love: :laughtwo:

Aw Sue Idk. You've really, really done your research. :) But I'll take the compliment, thank you. I'm sure we still have much to learn from each other, with each other. and I can only imagine how crazy things have been for you with Dale. It'll all be over soon though..and, that's good. It's sad, and hard, and new ...but it will be good. You've had quite the journey together, for better and worse. :hug: hang in there. Time for bed for me after this. Goodnight Sue. :)

P.S. note the length of my response. I see your 10-12 lines of type, and raise you 15! :laughtwo:

Lots of good info floating around here and soilgirl your plants are looking o so lovely, and nice and healthy I can already see this grow is going to be a great journal props & rep+ :thumb:
Aw thanks Gutta, I hope it will be! Glad to have you along for it. I've learned so much in the last year here. With any luck I'll do my teachers proud and pass on some of what I learned. :)
Thanks for the invite SoilGirl, it's good to see you back.

You were my inspiration for going organic and that's what my growing style is now. I thank you for that :thumb:

I'm looking forward to your grows very much.

It's good to see you have decided to go with a tent indoors and not the garage as you would just be drawing in the heat from the garage into the tent so there was no benefit there.

Rock on SG, here is some green love should you need any :green_heart:
MF! Great to have you along. :circle-of-love: I really feel bad for abandoning you. :\ Give me some time and I'll catch up with your current journal and see how things are going, I bet you're rocking that grow. :) Aww, thanks so much. I'm flattered to have inspired you. :battingeyelashes: -and the tent. Super excited to get that whole thing set up. Can't wait. Again, so awesome to have you back for the ride! It looks like the old 'LOS gang' is getting back together! :Namaste:

Just wanted to take a second to say that, Sue's husband finally passed today.. after years of struggling with his health.

Sue is such an inspiring grower with amazing journals, part of the backbone of LOS teachings on this site. If you haven't stopped by her journals you're missing out. She may not need our support, but if you get a chance please do stop by and offer it. If it's your first time there I wouldn't doubt you'll pick up some new organic trick passing by as well. :) The Joy Of Growing - SweetSue Goes Perpetual

Sending all my love and support your way Sue. I lit some incense for Dale and am about to light a little Diesel I'd been saving to celebrate his memory. Without Dale and his health conditions, maybe I never would have met you. So maybe there's some master plan after all.... maybe. :Namaste:

am about to light a little diesel I'd been saving to celebrate his memory. Without Dale and his health conditions, maybe I never would have met you. So maybe there's some master plan after all.... maybe. :Namaste:

I feel strongly about this as well SG!

There aren't enough joyful words to describe how I feel right now. Best. Family. Ever. :love::hug::love:

Just wanted to take a second to say that, Sue's husband finally passed today.. after years of struggling with his health.

Sue is such an inspiring grower with amazing journals, part of the backbone of LOS teachings on this site. If you haven't stopped by her journals you're missing out. She may not need our support, but if you get a chance please do stop by and offer it. If it's your first time there I wouldn't doubt you'll pick up some new organic trick passing by as well. :) The Joy Of Growing - SweetSue Goes Perpetual

Sending all my love and support your way Sue. I lit some incense for Dale and am about to light a little Diesel I'd been saving to celebrate his memory. Without Dale and his health conditions, maybe I never would have met you. So maybe there's some master plan after all.... maybe. :Namaste:

:clap::circle-of-love:

Hi everyone just thought I'd post this for you since I am using it a lot today and will be using it a lot for the rest of the journal. My IPM kit came today! :slide: :)

This is the IPM (Integrated Pest Management) report with recipes and directions for organic IPM I got from Buildasoil. Seriously, the guys at BAS rock for putting this together. https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0....pdf?1490&mc_cid=dfb5675f6e&mc_eid=270b06ae60

Yay!! :yahoo: Got the kit.

0624151641.jpg

I've been dying to have this IPM kit since I read about it. So I got right to work and ground some of the barley up in the coffee grinder and top dressed all my plants.

0624151710.jpg

Then watered in with an Aloe drench.

0624151718.jpg

So easy! Tomorrow I think I'll give them a little coconut water. :) The next day a popcorn SST should be ready and I can start sprouting some Alfalfa! Come on this is exciting stuff! :laughtwo: Can't wait to start messing around with foliar sprays, and having all of this pest fighting power is going to come in handy I'm sure.

Will try and get a few happy plant pics a bit later. :Namaste:

There you go SoilGirl. :thumb:

One top dressing of neem meal eliminated fungus gnats in my grow. Just sayin'.

Right? :high-five:
There you go SoilGirl. :thumb:

One top dressing of neem meal eliminated fungus gnats in my grow. Just sayin'.
Lol if I top dress with any more neem or kelp I'll have to add a little soil to my neem/kelp based LOS. :laughtwo: My gnats were tricky inside. I swore one day I'd go out there and find they'd evolved into intelligent life forms and built floating cities in my grow room. :lot-o-toke: Every time I beat them down they came back. But as soon as I moved those worm bins and plants outside...they died. Too hot and dry, even watering once a day like I am right now lol. Last year I noted that my fabric and airpots went dry remarkably quickly. I might have to start going twice a day in July for them.

I'm so excited for this kit :) Thanks Sue!! :hug:

A recovery shot

0624151920.jpg

Jamaican OG got a couple supercrops as well.

0624151921.jpg

smaller plants group shot.

0624151922.jpg

:Namaste:

Lol those weren't very good pics >.< Next time...

Back
Top Bottom