Sour Diesel #8 Indoor, 2x600W - Soil - FF Nutes

Re: Sour Diesel #8 indoor, 2x600w, soil, FF nutes

I stand corrected then My friend! Actually, here's what I am/was planing.
Remove most of the grass where I actually grow....not the whole yard..I tend to go over board sometimes. Tell me what you think of this. I'll remove the grass only where I grow. Then I'm going to dust that area with dichotomous soil. That is supposed to kill all crawly insects, like mites, worms, centipedes , and the like. I don't actually put my plants on the ground, but on raised boards. They are usually 10 inches off the ground. The plants are in airpots. I feed the girls Asamax with their watering, this doesn't kill bugs, just repels them. I spray with neem oil and and try to at least kill whatever is on the leaves. My last grow was the only one I ever had problems with. My thinking is to kill the bugs before they ever get to my plants. So what you think Bro? I hope it's something that works better than my plan and is easier to do. Mahalo.

I'll assume you meant diatomaceous soil and I'll get back to you later this eve on some ideas you might consider. Gotta catch up on posting pics from cloning and such, not to mention taking care of the girls :morenutes: :yummy:
Aloha Ol' Friend

Only two days late, but here is the run down from my clone run from the other day, this is a method I kind of stumbled across in my first attempts to clone;

materials-
pro-mix or sunshine grow medium (I added some FFOF just for fun, but no need)
cinder or perlite
amendments if you want
1" starter cubes (I'm using the styrofoam like cubes, and that might be important, maybe not) cut in half horizontally to make 2 .5"x1" pieces, make sure the center hole is punched all the way thru
4" starter cups ** this seems to be very important, the first time I tried I used both 3" and 4", and there was an obvious difference right down the line between the two
scissors (sharp)
razor blade(s)
isopropyl alcohol (I got the 99%)
paper towls
water or light micro-nute solution (I used 3/4 tbsp FF Big Bloom per gal)
cloning gel
tray and matching humidity dome

1) soil/soil-less mix- I combined 1 part FF Ocean Forest to 3 parts Pro-Mix BX; this was new, usually just go with straight pro-mix, but with a 3-1 mix p-m over the FFOF, I figure that would be mellow enough (since FFOF has a little nutes in there) for clones while having a light load of beneficials present. I then cut that down with cinder at 1 part to 3 on the soil mix for a better drainage mix (perlite would work the same I figure, but cinder is free here).
11_1_002.jpg

11_1_003.jpg

Then I add some amendments, I made up about 8 gal total mix so I added about 1.5 tbsp dolemite lime and 1.5 tbsp green sand (I usually mix 1 tbsp per 5 gal), this is just kind of an extra buffer from any problems. All this goes into a mix tub dry cause I think its easier to mix that way-
11_1_001.jpg

I mixed way over what I needed for cloning since I have transplanting to do soon, so I am not going to wet it down until its in the pots.

2)Fill the 4" cup up to about 1.5" below top, using just your fingertips to pack it down med/light, and very lightly wet the top with water/light micros

3)put the chopped down .5" cubes in the center of the 4" cup and lightly pack soil mix around cube up to its height, surrounding the cube and holding it in place. water a little more starting with the cube,the goal at this point is moist, not saturated
11_1_004.jpg

11_1_005.jpg

(I'm gonna skip details a bit of the standard cloning steps....sterilize scissors and razor blade, scissor cut clone below 3rd (or lower) node, remove excess branches/leaves, re-cut just below node with blade, dip in gel.....)

4)after dipping stem tip in gel put it right in the center hole of the cube pushing it down just far enough that the bottom tip of the stem is just below the bottom of the cube and just barely into the soil below
11_1_006.jpg

5)one more light dash of water/micro nutes over the cube to make sure its holding decent water, I usually spray/mist plain water on the leaves now, and DONE! Put your humidity dome on the tray and put it under medium intensity light and forget about them for 24 hours.

at this point I usually just give a very light dash of plain water just on the cube every 24 hours, and a mist, and within 4-5 days they usually start to show new growth, and I have not lost one single clone since starting this method. I think what happens is the volume of moisture held by the soil in the 4" cup below and sides (and the 3" just doesn't quite cut it) and the more air rich moist environment created by the cube allows for the perfect setting for the cutting to root at the seam with such minimal effort on your part. It may at first seem like a lot of work to set up the cups, but really its just a few minutes per cup, and I think the ease of maintenance that follows plus the high (perfect for me) success rate and quick growth more than pays off. Plus its in a cup that can now accommodate it getting 8" height before needing to transplant. When I transplant I cut the cube off first and then be sure to bury that portion of the stem. Roots dont really grow into the cube doing it like this, so removal is easy.

Well, there you have it, thats what I do. Its really more simple than I probably make it sound, and seems pretty fool proof if you follow up with water just once a day.

Oh, and the tray now contains 3 new SDs and 5 new purple nurples.

OK, now to early sample some of the stuff drying, I can't resist any more...it looks like candy :tokin: and although its still got some moisture (3.5 days drying so far), it'll hit just fine in the bong for a sample!! :thumb:
Aloha

Now that I am done with two days ago I can do a little updating from today. First, the PM situation- little to no new growth on untreated plants (yesterday I treated 3 with the peroxide solution wipedown), the treated plants look near perfect so far. there were a couple of the deep center veins of treated leaves that looked to have hints of growth today, but very few and very minimal. Treated 4 of the remaining untreated/infected plants but left one to watch at least one more day. Still no black ball tops. Things seem good so far. Here is a picture of the same leaf from yesterday that had PM, wiped it with the peroxide solution ~30 hours before this pic was taken (minutes ago).
11_2_001.jpg

here's the before pic again (same leaf)-
11_1_007.jpg

I'll keep updating with overview and a pic of this leaf over the next few days at least.

On to better stuffs. Not too exciting, but figured I would show one part of the backbone to my room, the cooling...my double stacked 5000's-
11_2_005.jpg

Each of my 600w bulbs puts out 2500btu of heat, so one 5000btu AC offsets that, while the other easily covers the rest of the btu's put off by the ballasts, fans, and floro's. The one on high setting shuts off when the lights do, and the one on low setting runs 24hr to accomplish a good DIT after lights out. This was key to getting my room dialed in during our tropical summer, but I may be able to keep one off during the winter. Total cost on the two, $230.

Here's the flowering girls group shot, I spread them out yesterday for a little extra air flow just to make sure the PM was suppressed as much as possible while the extra light was open, plus they are loving a bit of extra light-
11_2_004-1.jpg

Couple close ups of one of the tops starting to get nice (23 days today)-
11_2_002.jpg

11_2_003.jpg

New SD clones ready to go into flower tomorrow, they're between 10-14"-
11_2_006.jpg

And finally a few teaser shots of a few drying buds (3.5 days from cut)-
11_2_007.jpg

11_2_008.jpg

11_2_009.jpg

Alright, think I am kinda caught up, although I fell like I coulda given a ton more details and info on it all, then again I feel like I ramble a bit too much, either way I am going to spark one up and not care....lol
:peacetwo:

I stand corrected then My friend! Actually, here's what I am/was planing.
Remove most of the grass where I actually grow....not the whole yard..I tend to go over board sometimes. Tell me what you think of this. I'll remove the grass only where I grow. Then I'm going to dust that area with dichotomous soil. That is supposed to kill all crawly insects, like mites, worms, centipedes , and the like. I don't actually put my plants on the ground, but on raised boards. They are usually 10 inches off the ground. The plants are in airpots. I feed the girls Asamax with their watering, this doesn't kill bugs, just repels them. I spray with neem oil and and try to at least kill whatever is on the leaves. My last grow was the only one I ever had problems with. My thinking is to kill the bugs before they ever get to my plants. So what you think Bro? I hope it's something that works better than my plan and is easier to do. Mahalo.

How about this, it sounds like you got some time before you put stuff out again (late short season or next long?), correct? I love research projects, so lets spend some time talking about what hit you last season and what else you might encounter and I'd do my best to help with finding an easy (say 1x a week) treatment schedule with maybe 2 or three products (not necessarily all every week) that hopefully would be all organic. See what the options are at least. Let me know if you're into it and the time frame. I do have a couple ideas just about your described set up, like tanglefoot or even pots of water on the leg posts maybe being more effective than the diotomaceous earth. But lets talk, pm or here, don't care.
Aloha

Just browsing through your SD journal, very nice, and saw the PM issue you were running into. There are a few things you can do. SNS makes 244 that says it kills PM. It works pretty damn good. I have used it and PM outbreaks are fewer and farther in between. I have also had good luck with Baking Soda (NOT Baking POWDER) or sodium bicarbonate. Baking soda raises the ph on the leaves to 7 or above which PM cannot grow, as it grows on acidic leaves. Baking soda will turn the hairs orange and brown overnight so that is something to consider. So far I'm sticking with SNS 244 for any out breaks as it kills the PM. Sulfur is another option but contaminates things with it's foul smell. best of luck

Just browsing through your SD journal, very nice, and saw the PM issue you were running into. There are a few things you can do. SNS makes 244 that says it kills PM. It works pretty damn good. I have used it and PM outbreaks are fewer and farther in between. I have also had good luck with Baking Soda (NOT Baking POWDER) or sodium bicarbonate. Baking soda raises the ph on the leaves to 7 or above which PM cannot grow, as it grows on acidic leaves. Baking soda will turn the hairs orange and brown overnight so that is something to consider. So far I'm sticking with SNS 244 for any out breaks as it kills the PM. Sulfur is another option but contaminates things with it's foul smell. best of luck

Awesome Frosty! Thanks! I hadn't listed the SNS 244 in my possible treatments only because I had not heard of anyone using it yet, good to know it can work as well, and is another natural based product. The baking soda sound interesting too, sounds like you are talking about spraying on a solution? Maybe also could sponge wipe with that solution on smaller colonies/outbreaks like I am doing with the hydrogen peroxide solution, that would prevent it from effecting the hairs. Yep, sulfur is the very last on the list I would try, maybe its not as funky as I imagine, but not too appealing to me. Plenty other good stuff.

Thanks a lot for stopping in and giving valuable input. Good to hear a positive review for the SNS, any chance you have pics of it in action?
:peacetwo: and aloha!

Figured I'd get a few shots of the interior of my room showing more of how it functions, starting with everything all closed up within the room (how it is when I'm not working in there and/or "night time"). There are 2 3mil black plastic sheets that hang as a divider for the flower room, they work both to prevent light spillage and to keep things much cooler in the flowering half of the room than the vegging half, but have large enough gaps on the sides to allow air thru when the room flushes-
11_3_001-1.jpg

inside the black curtains are hanging reflectors that are white on the inside, so the plants are surrounded on all sides by white walls when these are up-
11_3_002.jpg

and then those come down and I have great access to my girls-
11_3_003.jpg

then opposite to the flower half of the room are the stacked veg chambers, shown closed here-
11_3_004.jpg

and opened-
11_3_005.jpg

Now that I've about got it dialed in with everything running it looks like the average monthly electric is going to be right around $200-$220 to run the whole set-up, and that is with rates being about $0.23 per KW/H where I am. If you were to be fortunate enough to live where its 10-12 cents then you'd be spending about $100 to run it. I'd say my monthly tab for soil, nutes, and any other peripherals is around $15-$25 average. My first two runs after I got it dialed in will average over 1/2lb of primo bud, so with it now running in perpetual mode I should be able to pull over 1/2lb a month (hope to get that up to 3/4lb soon). Not too bad for under the cost I would be spending on an oz a month ($250). Now if our new govenor (YAY Neil!!) can just help us get some more reasonable MMJ laws I could actually turn my self indulgent hobby into helping some patients in need.

I didn't think to take any pics, and usually shut lights and fans off right after spraying forgetting to take pics. With SNS it is pretty quick acting as the ingredients attack the PM and then are absorbed by the plant helping to protect it and repair it for a week or so. There is really not anything left over of the PM after treatment as it seems to be food for the spray. You can see it attacking the PM instantly. Anymore I have been using the SNS 244 as a preventative measure. It smells like a pizzeria or a big pot of marinara sauce simmering. Thyme is a major ingredient in SNS and is claiming to be all natural. The baking soda works darn good too but requires more work if you want to wash off the residue. Last time I was at the hydro store I was looking at all the natural treatment products and they were selling sodium bicarbonate which should have been just like baking soda but at the hydro store price. So it was good to see the store selling something that could be got at the local grocery for a lot cheaper.

As far as wiping effected areas, I just spray the whole plant and as much of the surrounding area/s I can. PM is a spore that travels by wind and is easily spread. Once it is on one area of the plant it usually will show up on others pretty quick. And it also shows which strains are more resistant to PM if you have multiple strains.

Watering at the end of the light cycle, high humidity, poor circulation, too acidic of a medium and/or waterings all can contribute to PM outbreaks. The trick is to catch it early and fight it hard and quick or else it will show up in the dense flower clusters where circulation is little and there will be little you can do to save your buds.

These are just some of the things I have learned over time. Some crop out and clean in between, others have a perpetual grow, some grow from seed only to avoid infected plants, some just run sulfur burners every so often. PM is more prevalent then many admit to or even know. When it gets into the buds it is very easily confused with thc crystals and I have known many people that don't even know they have it. Once it is dried it is very hard to see with the naked eye, unless it is really bad and you see the spore dust when nugs are broken up. It looks like a web structure when looked at under a microscope and looks like spiderman showed up and shot webs all over the thc. I know that many have no clue that anything is wrong with there grows as I am the one to point out the PM and then they look at it and ask is that bad?? and then proceed to ask, "is it not part of the thc resin production of the plant?" and I then inform them that it is PM and that treatment is needed or else the crop will be lost. Well not only have I seen them take little to no action and then dry the plants and then show me the plants and say the PM is gone but little do they know it is hard to see dry and so they think there harvest are good. Little do they know PM spores cover there buds. I'm pretty sure PM won't hurt a person as I have seen many smoke it and have had it passed off on my bags before but I know when it is present right away as it burns my sinuses and I stop smoking it immediately. Many just think the throat sinus burn is part of smoking but it isn't.

Didn't intend for such a long post but thought I would share a little info for anyone interested.

cool setup. the leaf that u had wiped looked a whole lot better, good decission. hope all goes well for ya

Aloha and Mahalo Wingman! Wow, I was looking for a blushing smiley face but couldn't find one. I am honored that you would suggest that and of coarse would be happy to be of any assistance I could to anyone starting out. It really wasn't too long ago for me (for indoor), so I still have a lot of the basics of how to get started up front in my thinking. And generally if I dont know, I know how to find out. So yes, send 'em on over.
Its a easy family to get along with for sure, I LOVE stoners!! :tokin:

:thanks: Van, done!

Now that I've about got it dialed in with everything running it looks like the average monthly electric is going to be right around $200-$220 to run the whole set-up, and that is with rates being about $0.23 per KW/H where I am. If you were to be fortunate enough to live where its 10-12 cents then you'd be spending about $100 to run it. I'd say my monthly tab for soil, nutes, and any other peripherals is around $15-$25 average. My first two runs after I got it dialed in will average over 1/2lb of primo bud, so with it now running in perpetual mode I should be able to pull over 1/2lb a month (hope to get that up to 3/4lb soon). Not too bad for under the cost I would be spending on an oz a month ($250). Now if our new govenor (YAY Neil!!) can just help us get some more reasonable MMJ laws I could actually turn my self indulgent hobby into helping some patients in need.

My electric is all of $500 every month just for the grow-op but I have several Patients depending on me.
:goodjob::nicethread:

:
My electric is all of $500 every month just for the grow-op but I have several Patients depending on me.
:goodjob::nicethread:

I bet you aren't paying 23 cent KW/hr, so I can imagine how how much bigger and funner your set-up must be than mine....maybe next year I can catch up a little...LOL!
Mahalos for your visits and good words brother!
:peace:

I didn't think to take any pics, and usually shut lights and fans off right after spraying forgetting to take pics. With SNS it is pretty quick acting as the ingredients attack the PM and then are absorbed by the plant helping to protect it and repair it for a week or so. There is really not anything left over of the PM after treatment as it seems to be food for the spray. You can see it attacking the PM instantly. Anymore I have been using the SNS 244 as a preventative measure. It smells like a pizzeria or a big pot of marinara sauce simmering. Thyme is a major ingredient in SNS and is claiming to be all natural. The baking soda works darn good too but requires more work if you want to wash off the residue. Last time I was at the hydro store I was looking at all the natural treatment products and they were selling sodium bicarbonate which should have been just like baking soda but at the hydro store price. So it was good to see the store selling something that could be got at the local grocery for a lot cheaper.

As far as wiping effected areas, I just spray the whole plant and as much of the surrounding area/s I can. PM is a spore that travels by wind and is easily spread. Once it is on one area of the plant it usually will show up on others pretty quick. And it also shows which strains are more resistant to PM if you have multiple strains.

Watering at the end of the light cycle, high humidity, poor circulation, too acidic of a medium and/or waterings all can contribute to PM outbreaks. The trick is to catch it early and fight it hard and quick or else it will show up in the dense flower clusters where circulation is little and there will be little you can do to save your buds.

These are just some of the things I have learned over time. Some crop out and clean in between, others have a perpetual grow, some grow from seed only to avoid infected plants, some just run sulfur burners every so often. PM is more prevalent then many admit to or even know. When it gets into the buds it is very easily confused with thc crystals and I have known many people that don't even know they have it. Once it is dried it is very hard to see with the naked eye, unless it is really bad and you see the spore dust when nugs are broken up. It looks like a web structure when looked at under a microscope and looks like spiderman showed up and shot webs all over the thc. I know that many have no clue that anything is wrong with there grows as I am the one to point out the PM and then they look at it and ask is that bad?? and then proceed to ask, "is it not part of the thc resin production of the plant?" and I then inform them that it is PM and that treatment is needed or else the crop will be lost. Well not only have I seen them take little to no action and then dry the plants and then show me the plants and say the PM is gone but little do they know it is hard to see dry and so they think there harvest are good. Little do they know PM spores cover there buds. I'm pretty sure PM won't hurt a person as I have seen many smoke it and have had it passed off on my bags before but I know when it is present right away as it burns my sinuses and I stop smoking it immediately. Many just think the throat sinus burn is part of smoking but it isn't.

Didn't intend for such a long post but thought I would share a little info for anyone interested.

All very good info! The SNS sounds like a good product the way you describe it.
As far as the PM spores being airborn and everywhere, that is very good for everyone to know. So far my experience is showing since I was able to correct my environment early the spores can no longer establish or flourish, so I am not really concerned that they are there. Because of that I made the choice to more spot treat what was present on the leaves rather than broadcast anything onto the plants or in the room. So far, six days after the PM was first evident and 5 days after I corrected the environment there are no new colonies on the previously infected plants and nothing has appeared on any of the vegging plants, and maybe 5% of the colonies that did establish that were treated still look to have very slight PM starting back up, I think one more wipe with the peroxide should kill what I missed before. I'll get a pic of the same leaf as before later today, it only had the one wipe, and it looks clean as a bell.
Much Aloha!

cool setup. the leaf that u had wiped looked a whole lot better, good decission. hope all goes well for ya

Mahalo Bro!!

Its day 5 since I harvested, so its time for the next phase of my drying process. All the buds come off the branches today and go into lunch sized paper bags with holes poked into the bottoms. I usually put just 1/2 oz per bag. Then I hang them back up in the drying box for two more days to finish off the last bit of moisture. I can start trimming now to get a head start before its finished, I just take one bag at a time and hang it back up as soon as I am finished. Last time I was able to have at least half trimmed by the 7th and final day of drying. All the good leaf trim that comes off goes into a big shopping bag and gets fluffed once a day for a few days before bagging. The buds go into jars after the 7th day and get burped once a day for about 10 minutes for one month before they are fully cured.
Pics to come later, aloha for now!
Oh, and first samples are outstanding!! I am fricken ripped...lol :roorrip::) and the taste is spot on from the last batch, sour lemony candy!!

Fantastic Buds!!! Wow!! :bravo:

Also just got my power bill $84.09. But I only use CFL's and florescent lites. It does not list the rate, but dividing what I owe by kwh it comes out to $ .09 ! Can that be right??

Fantastic Buds!!! Wow!! :bravo:

Also just got my power bill $84.09. But I only use CFL's and florescent lites. It does not list the rate, but dividing what I owe by kwh it comes out to $ .09 ! Can that be right??

Aloha Tmac! Mahalos!

Yep, I think .09 kw/hr is possible, I know I've heard .10 before. Lucky, lucky people on the mainland!!

Back
Top Bottom