Stevehman's Advanced LED's 800W Diamond Series - Mulitple Strains - Hempy Grow

super nice. have u grown carmalicious before? i always thought the name sounded like a good after dinner smoke. never had a chance to try it.

Hi steve, Just got my advanced DS 600 watt :circle-of-love: iam a total total newbie so will need as much help as possible !!! how many plants do you think i could grow just under the one light? its all i can afford at the moment.

thanks dogue

LED Test

link to my set up

Dogue,
What style of grow are you going for? It's more about footprint than number of plants. You can go 420fied SOG style and cram 100 2 ltr bottles ala hempy under that, or you can go SCROG and put 4 monster bushes, or go au naturale and put 6 in 3 gallon buckets. The key here is, have an even canopy that is 3.5x4.5ish, keep the light about 24~30 inches during veg and stretch and then about 18~22 above the canopy once in bloom.

After this grow wraps then buy a second one and increase your footprint to 6x5. Make sure to post a journal when you get the grow underway.

Thanks steve, i think this might be the best option: 6 in 3 gallon buckets, start from here and learn as i go along (read up on 420 fourms) but do like the idea SOG, Will get a journal up anyday now (just waiting on the little ladies)

top/fim, LST HAHAHAHA lost me there steve :scratchinghead:

ARHH found LST (low stress training) coundnt i use a SOG for this !?

Sea of Green (SOG) is typically for growing a single cola, putting a lot of plants in a small space creating a little forest of single colas (check out 420fied's journals). A SCROG is using a screen to train a plant to spread the plants branches out to create more top-sites and colas. A single plant can easily fill in a 3x3 foot (square meter) screen if you veg it long enough.

Low Stress Training (LST) is used to train/bend the branches to expose multiple branches to light, and keeping them all the same height, that makes them all think they're the top-site and will try to become the biggest.

Topping is pinching off the new growth of a branch, which will create two new branches in it's place. FIM is short for F*** I Missed, coined by a grower that was trying to top but didn't get the whole top shoot and only clipped about 2/3rds of it. It resulted in multiple tops. The third method is called the Uncle Ben's Topping (UBT) used on new seedlings when they've achieved their 4th true node.

There was a good graphic of topping and fim'ing somewhere. If anyone has it please post it.

FIM is short for F*** I Missed, coined by a grower that was trying to top but didn't get the whole top shoot and only clipped about 2/3rds of it.
Lol, I knew what it was, but I didn't know that's how it got it's name. Learn something new here everyday. Thanks Steve!

Day 47 in 12/12:

I'll be chopping the G-bud in here next Tuesday, same day I chop the girls in the grow chamber. The tent in general is getting very stinky, I think I may need to get a bucket of ona gel for trim day. The paln is to chop the G-bud on Tuesday, the P-chunk and twilight the following Tuesday and then the Darkstar and the caramellicious the Tuesday after that (Nov 1). That should give me time for the previous batch to have dried and be put into cure jars.

Here are a few shots:
P-Chunk
DSC_9425.JPG

DSC_9426.JPG

Some Caramelicious:
DSC_9427.JPG

Darkstar:
DSC_9428.JPG

Twilight:
DSC_9429.JPG

I also tried out a new method for cloning (not new, but new to me). I posted that on my other journal, so I won't put up a duplicate post here (besides, the other journal isn't getting as much love as this one). That would be the Grow 5.0 journal.

First, beautiful nugs Steve! :high-five:

They all look good, but at least in pictures, the Carmelicious is my favorite. :yummy:

Per Steve's request, here is a good diagram of Fimming vs. Topping, etc. I couldn't help throwing on a good diagram for doing LST as well. Hope this helps!

Fimming Vs. Topping:
Fimming_v_topping.jpg

LST:
LST32.jpg

Subscribed. Definitely looking at LED's for when I get started here over the winter. Looks like a bit of money invested up front is going to pay off nicely in reduced electrical costs and heat load, provided they grow well (and they certainly seem to be!)

F* Nor Cal Guy

Subscribed. Definitely looking at LED's for when I get started here over the winter. Looks like a bit of money invested up front is going to pay off nicely in reduced electrical costs and heat load, provided they grow well (and they certainly seem to be!)

F* Nor Cal Guy

It is a little painful up front, but as you can see they do work. Provided you get a good brand, proper size, follow height suggestions and do the rest of the grow well of course. And the end cost over time will be far less.

There are a number of us doing LED grows with journals. I suggest you read them well, take notes. Then take a look at the site sponsors as those are proven and the ones most of us are using.

Until you get 50 posts you wont be able to pm anyone for direct assistance, but I think I can say for Stevehman, myself, and probably Magic Beans, go ahead and ask in our journals if you have questions.

Welcome and enjoy the ride.

Steve, you have probably already answered this question but I want to ask it anyway:

What about heat from LED's compared to that of HPS? How significant is the difference? I am just wondering when the up front cost of the LED will cross the operating expense curve at the point where it finally gets cheaper than running traditional grow lamps with the same wattage. That would be a nice analysis that can be easily visualized on a graph with total cost on the y axis and time on the x axis. Each curve would start at the initial cost on the y axis and move over time. Operating Cost could be averaged each day for each light type and could be derived from number of kwh used each day by each system (air conditioning, fans, ect). There could be two curves, one for LED and one for a comparable HPS. The time it takes for the LED curve to cross under the HID curve can then be calculated in current dollars using a discount rate of your choice...probably very low today since interest rates are so low on short term bonds. Thoughts?

I would LOVE to see an analysis like this done on a large scale to see how it might benefit commercial growers. A smaller scale grow might be able to be extrapolated but might not be very accurate but the data would be invaluable none the less.

Steve, you have probably already answered this question but I want to ask it anyway:

What about heat from LED's compared to that of HPS? How significant is the difference? I am just wondering when the up front cost of the LED will cross the operating expense curve at the point where it finally gets cheaper than running traditional grow lamps with the same wattage. That would be a nice analysis that can be easily visualized on a graph with total cost on the y axis and time on the x axis. Each curve would start at the initial cost on the y axis and move over time. Operating Cost could be averaged each day for each light type and could be derived from number of kwh used each day by each system (air conditioning, fans, ect). There could be two curves, one for LED and one for a comparable HPS. The time it takes for the LED curve to cross under the HID curve can then be calculated in current dollars using a discount rate of your choice...probably very low today since interest rates are so low on short term bonds. Thoughts?

I would LOVE to see an analysis like this done on a large scale to see how it might benefit commercial growers. A smaller scale grow might be able to be extrapolated but might not be very accurate but the data would be invaluable none the less.
The heat from these is very low, I posted a graphic of the light and what the operating temps were from several locations using a laser thermometer. I'll have to go back and find that. If I recall, the hottest was around 100deg f on top.

I've never done HPS, but if you factor in the cost of cooling, particularly in San Diego (the country's highest electric costs @ 24.3 per kw) the crossover point happens much sooner than other areas of the country that are paying less than 1/2 of that...

You also have to factor in the life span of the bulbs vs. LEDs. You don't replace LEDs every few grows, they should last for several years and realistically you'll be buying new ones not because the wear out, but because they continue to get better and cheaper (whereas the tech behind HPS and MH is pretty much maxed out).

I don't think I am going to buy an HPS and an AC unit to do a test run though.

Back
Top Bottom