Thanx bro so do I need to let it set for any length of time or can I use the oil to make brownies right away?

Let it sit overnight Jones. That'll give the lecithin enough time to work a little dispersment magic. I rest mine in the fridge overnight and bring it back to room temperature before using it.

This is great information. What I'm really asking is does the end product of each of these two processes yield an equal amount of THC?

Kelly

In both extraction methods the goal is as pure as possible, so in the end they'll give you similar products. If I had to choose I'd say an ethanol extraction would be the more efficient method. It strips the oil from the plant material, then you purge the alcohol. If you handed near identical plant material to two different extraction professionals using each of these methods I'd venture to say you'd get almost identical results.

What I'm really asking is does the end product of each of these two processes yield an equal amount of THC?
Potentially, yes, I think so, providing you consider THC and THCa together. You could have arrived at your CCO without significant heating of the bud or its oil by performing the solvent evaporation at room temperature near a fan; whereas there is no way to melt the oil out of the trichomes except by heat and pressure so expect to boil off a small percentage of the THCa in the process, along with some of the terpenes. THCa has a low boiling point, 105C (220F).

If you are buying it in rosin form, has it already been decarbed?

Forgive me SweetSue, I thought rosin was stronger than CCO. CCO is made by extracting with a carrier while rosin is pressed from the plant and there is no carrier. So how can the yield of each be equal? If the rosin is in fact stronger, then a 20:1 or 10:1, or 5:1 mixture will yield a stronger dose than the same ratio made with CCO. If so, does it make a difference in determining dose? Or are we just looking for a starting point with the ratio, with no regard for the strength of the yield? Can you clarify?

Why did you say that I would be lucky to get terpenes?

As far as the rosin melting into the oil, it should work fine.

Once I hear your response, I'll pose my next question. :) Thanks.

I neglected to answer part of this Kelly.

Terpenes are so volitile that any heating done to decarb will cause them to evaporate. CCO is heated to decarb, and we have evidence that demonstrates that terpene loss. Rosin is typically undecarbed, offering more terpenes, that will be lost when you heat to decarb.

It's one of the reasons we're getting so excited about using acid cannabinoids. As they uncover more medicinal benefit to the acid cannabinoids we feel more confident using raw materials. For too many years the attention was all on THC or CBD. I feel most confident getting a well-rounded cannabinoid diet.

Potentially, yes, I think so, providing you consider THC and THCa together. You could have arrived at your CCO without significant heating of the bud or its oil by performing the solvent evaporation at room temperature near a fan; whereas there is no way to melt the oil out of the trichomes except by heat and pressure so expect to boil off a small percentage of the THCa in the process, along with some of the terpenes. THCa has a low boiling point, 105C (220F).

If you are buying it in rosin form, has it already been decarbed?

Hi,

No, I decarb it myself. Kelly

Rodin is a product achieved through heat and a lot of pressure to actually squeeze the goods right out of the buds and dabbed.

But the heat isn't enough to decarb it, is that correct, GGG? I know what Kelly gets isn't decarbed.

Could you do this with a domestic iron? It could be a lot more amusing than ironing pants and shirts. It could suddenly make housework worthwhile...

Could you do this with a domestic iron? It could be a lot more amusing than ironing pants and shirts. It could suddenly make housework worthwhile...

:laughtwo: Ahhhh..... that it were that easy. Lol! It's a matter of consistent heat and pressure, which would be a challenge delux with a regular iron.

Given the equipment, this is really the way to go. It uses no solvents, and gives you pure product, or as pure as it was grown.

I'm playing with a pain cream recipe that'll use up trim. I have a bag of dried fans dating back months that screams to be used somewhere. I took 96 grams of the fans, some popcorn and sugar leaves and infused it into 32 oz of grape seed oil.

Then I took 12 ounces of what I strained and used it to infuse 6 grams of bud. When I strained I had 10 oz of double-infused oil. To that I added 6 more oz of the original infused oil to get the two cups I wanted for the pain cream. I can't make this stuff fast enough for the local demand. Lol!

I'll be doing a post over at Magnus's topicals study hall, so I'll just leave a couple pictures here.

IMG_83955.JPG

One of those wonderful purchases I made last year that made me wonder why I waited so long.

IMG_83975.JPG

IMG_83994.JPG

The left jar was made with just buds. The one on the right has a touch of that batch in the bottom and is topped off with the trim batch.

IMG_84004.JPG

There's still a lot to work out. This cream has much more chlorophyll, and consequently a more pungent fragrance. It's still a little oily for my purposes. Usable and effective, but I like my body butter whipped and my creams a little more waxy. I'll be melting this batch down and adding a touch more beeswax - gosh, those sheets of beeswax are so easy to work with - and adding a few drops of lavender and mint to cover the cannabis smell before I offer any to friends.

I love those lip gloss tubes for on-the-go pain cream. They've already come in handy while walking. :cheesygrinsmiley: Haven't tried the deodorant tubes yet.

It's all a work in progress. :battingeyelashes:

I'm playing with a pain cream recipe that'll use up trim. I have a bag of dried fans dating back months that screams to be used somewhere. I took 96 grams of the fans, some popcorn and sugar leaves and infused it into 32 oz of grape seed oil.

Then I took 12 ounces of what I strained and used it to infuse 6 grams of bud. When I strained I had 10 oz of double-infused oil. To that I added 6 more oz of the original infused oil to get the two cups I wanted for the pain cream. I can't make this stuff fast enough for the local demand. Lol!

I'll be doing a post over at Magnus's topicals study hall, so I'll just leave a couple pictures here.

IMG_83955.JPG

One of those wonderful purchases I made last year that made me wonder why I waited so long.

IMG_83975.JPG

IMG_83994.JPG

The left jar was made with just buds. The one on the right has a touch of that batch in the bottom and is topped off with the trim batch.

IMG_84004.JPG

There's still a lot to work out. This cream has much more chlorophyll, and consequently a more pungent fragrance. It's still a little oily for my purposes. Usable and effective, but I like my body butter whipped and my creams a little more waxy. I'll be melting this batch down and adding a touch more beeswax - gosh, those sheets of beeswax are so easy to work with - and adding a few drops of lavender and mint to cover the cannabis smell before I offer any to friends.

I love those lip gloss tubes for on-the-go pain cream. They've already come in handy while walking. :cheesygrinsmiley: Haven't tried the deodorant tubes yet.

That's crazy. Who knew you could do all of that with bud. How do you fill ( or for that matter), where do you even get empty lip balm and deodorant tubes, lol?

Just wondering what is in the fan leaves that would be good for pain?

Amazon.com!

DMtse 25 Lip Balm Tubes with Caps (Natural/Clear)
(24) Empty Clear Plastic Deodorant Containers - 2.2 Oz Cylinders

There're trichomes on every inch of the plant, and every one is filled with essential oils containing the cannabinoid profile of that plant. That profile can change from place to place on the plant, but the meds will still be useful. Many of the leaves I've accumulated had lots of frosting on them too, but I was thinking along those same lines when I added popcorn, sugar leaves and buds to the oil.

Now I know it'll be effective. Just need to tone down the smell somehow.

There're trichomes on every inch of the plant, and every one is filled with essential oils containing the cannabinoid profile of that plant. That profile can change from place to place on the plant, but the meds will still be useful. Many of the leaves I've accumulated had lots of frosting on them too, but I was thinking along those same lines when I added popcorn, sugar leaves and buds to the oil.
Now I know it'll be effective. Just need to tone down the smell somehow.

I had no idea there were trichomes on fans leaves. I thought they were only on the sugar leaves and buds (the parts where you can see the frost). Are they on the fans at all ages of the plant or just after flowering?

I mean, I'm sure they support the ECS internally and can be used for juicing, but for pain cream too? Isn't THC the active ingredient in pain cream.

I had no idea there were trichomes on fans leaves. I thought they were only on the sugar leaves and buds (the parts where you can see the frost). Are they on the fans at all ages of the plant or just after flowering?

I mean, I'm sure they support the ECS internally and can be used for juicing, but for pain cream too? Isn't THC the active ingredient in pain cream.

It's not just fans, every single inch of the plant above ground has trichomes. Most are only one cell high, but they envelope the plant. It's why juicing leaves is so effective. They're full of acid cannabinoids, including THCa.

It's not just fans, every single inch of the plant above ground has trichomes. Most are only one cell high, but they envelope the plant. It's why juicing leaves is so effective. They're full of acid cannabinoids, including THCa.

This is awesome. Do you remember, Sue, in which course or seminar or web resource you picked up this wonderful nugget of information? Reps for even knowing that... ..

IMG_83955.JPG

IMG_83975.JPG

IMG_83994.JPG

IMG_84004.JPG

Sue, your post couldn't be more timely as I was about to start asking in Magnus thread on this very topic. I've got 2 quart freezer bags of fan leaves (mine are at least 50% yellow since I do the leaf bondage thingy instead of defoliation, so curious about color and smell difference), as well as trim from last week's experiment as well as the previous 2 weeks test buds. And the small small bud that I had set aside for just this reason. I'll just have to finish drying things, weigh then out, and adjust proportions.

I've got both grape seed oil and pumpkin seed oil, based on what Magnus had written about them. Perhaps a mix? GSO for fan leaves and PSO for bud? And I'm thinking peppermint essential oil for pain and masking smell, what do you think?

Cheers from the darkside

Back
Top Bottom