SweetSue's Perpetual 3.0 - The Hempy/HB Hybrid Grow

For some reason my post went berserk or maybe I'm just too high.....

:rollit::volcano-smiley:
Happy monday (or Tuesday for some)!!!!:cool:

Bonsai.......she is on hell of a gal!!!! She makes you feel right at home right away! Super cool all the way!!! Hope everyone is high & happy

Sue - earlier this year you posted about the new mars tent being a step up in terms of light leak out/in the zipper and other things. Are you still happy with it? And which model do you have?

I’m deciding that building my little light is enough to manage and I don’t need the project of making my tiny closet light proof breaking my spirit, so I’m going to get a tent.

So anyone got tips on tent hunting?im currently tossing up about a mars or whether I spend a bit more for a gorilla... they look really nice... (needs to be 2x2’ and 5’ or more, 6’ is better - just in case anyone has one lying about!).

:Namaste:

I'm very happy with the Mars-Hydro tent Amy. It's 27"x27" and I believe it's 5.5 ft high. I think you'll be happy you got a tent, and you'll wonder why you waited so long.

Bonsai.......she is on hell of a gal!!!! She makes you feel right at home right away! Super cool all the way!!! Hope everyone is high & happy

Well, you were all charming company, which made it easy to be hospitable. :love: I had a wonderful time myself. We'll have to find another reason to have you stop by. :battingeyelashes:

@Amy Gardner, among its other charms the daughter tells me Blue Dream did more for nausea than anything else in the cupboard.

So anyone got tips on tent hunting?

Don't you live in Europe? If so, I suggest you check out Homebox's website. I'd post a link, but the company isn't a sponsor. They make tents (in multiple sizes and shapes) that have WHITE interior walls. The concept got a bad rep several years ago, but that was because of someone using improper materials (off-gassing fumes that are toxic to plants not being a great selling point and all :rolleyes: ) . Maximum reflectivity of light is still a sound idea - and it looks like Homebox has some high-quality products for sure.

among its other charms the daughter tells me Blue Dream did more for nausea than anything else in the cupboard.
Thanks for that Sweet one! That a good thing to know. It happens a lot, and randomly.

And thanks for tips on the tent. I’m gonna get one. Just deciding whether the extra $ for the gorilla is worth it or whether the mars will be good enough. I know the gorilla fabric is thicker, so I thought that might give me more buffering for the sound of small fans. Plus the hardwearing and longevity question.

Anyone got a gorilla?

This time last year I’d’ve raised an eyebrow if you’d told me I’d be buying a grow tent! Under the sun or nothing used to be my take... I’ve got the bug now though - and it’s buggin’ me to grow more, grow all the time!

:yummy:

T
Don't you live in Europe? If so, I suggest you check out Homebox's website. I'd post a link, but the company isn't a sponsor. They make tents (in multiple sizes and shapes) that have WHITE interior walls. The concept got a bad rep several years ago, but that was because of someone using improper materials (off-gassing fumes that are toxic to plants not being a great selling point and all :rolleyes: ) . Maximum reflectivity of light is still a sound idea - and it looks like Homebox has some high-quality products for sure.
Thanks TS! I’m in Australia. But I’m gonna check that out because the white thing really appeals to me.

:thumb:

I’m in Australia.

Whoops. I've read that their customs agents might be even worse than ours when it comes to catching seed shipments, so... my condolences ;) .

the white thing really appeals to me.

Me, too. The "corner tents" they have also have some appeal. And some of their other features, also.

EDIT: I did a cursory check, and at least one Australian seller carries Homebox products. Hydro Experts is its name. Which is a common enough one that there are probably multiple entities DBA as that or something similar, but a search for that, and including the term "Australia" would bring it up. This is not a recommendation, of course, as I have never done business with that seller.

Ye
Whoops. I've read that their customs agents might be even worse than ours when it comes to catching seed shipments, so... my condolences ;) .

Me, too. The "corner tents" they have also have some appeal. And some of their other features, also.

EDIT: I did a cursory check, and at least one Australian seller carries Homebox products. Hydro Experts is its name. Which is a common enough one that there are probably multiple entities DBA as that or something similar, but a search for that, and including the term "Australia" would bring it up. This is not a recommendation, of course, as I have never done business with that seller.
Yeah - I’ve just been looking too. I really love them, but the sizes are just not right. Dammit! They’re stylin’

But the 2’x2’ is only 5’ High, and I’m not sure that’s enough now that I think about it... working out the height and light distances etc. it doesn’t leave much room! They have a 6’ one but it’s 3’x3’ so the footprint might be too big ... (plus my light design is based on 2x2)

But yeah - thanks. That seller is on the Bay too. Been checking them out there.

So far I’m all good with the seeds arriving. I swear we’re poised for something here in terms of law. A better legal climate around the beloved herb is still years away maybe, but not many years and certainly not decades.

Another thing to obsesss over until I buy one!! Thank goodness I have a plan and half the materials for my light already. No second guessing left to do there (except what colour hookup wire I get :rofl:).

Last question here about the tents, I promise... Sue... what height are these? In the pic they only look 1.6m (5ft)... is that right?
IMG_73535.JPG

:love:

Random nonsense: Don't bite the hand that feeds you - unless it's the hand of a vegetarian, in which case that's probably the only meat you're going to get.

But the 2’x2’ is only 5’ High

They've got one (1'x1') that's only TWO feet tall. Marketed to those who grow lichen, moss, and mushrooms, perhaps? :rolleyes:

It is somewhat disappointing that small-area tents are often too short. I suppose they think that everyone only uses small tents for mother / clone / vegetative-phase duty?

and I’m not sure that’s enough now that I think about it.

Having (eventually ;) ) learned the hard way... If you think a grow space won't be tall enough, you are probably correct.

They have a 6’ one but it’s 3’x3’ so the footprint might be too big ... (plus my light design is based on 2x2)

Looks like the Ambient Q80 is 32"x32"x71". That's still a big jump in area though - from four square feet to over seven.

No second guessing left to do there (except what colour hookup wire I get :rofl:).

I'm a traditionalist when it comes to things like that. Cuts down on the... You know... :eek:.

somewhat disappointing that small-area tents are often too short.
yes. I’ve just spent the better part of my afternoon thinking exactly that, about every 5 minutes... “why are the all so frgn short!”

suppose they think that everyone only uses small tents for mother / clone / vegetative-phase duty?
exactly, they do.
... If you think a grow space won't be tall enough, you are probably correct.
I’d rather be “comfy”, with some room for a small fan even.

Looks like the Ambient Q80 is 32"x32"x71". That's still a big jump in area though - from four square feet to over seven.

Funny thing is - I just made a decision, along with the other here, to get that one! :thumb: Thanks heaps for the tip. It’s exactly the kind of thing I was wondering might pop up. I love that it’s beige too. Will kind of look like one of those canvas wardrobes ;). And the way I see it, I’m still aiming to light a 2 x 2 area but without the plant ending up against the tent, some room to breathe. Some of that square ft-age is height too. The diy box I’m replacing (that isn’t light tight) is 65 cmx 65 cm x 210cm (7’) so my sq ft will be about the same. And And it won’t be the only German engineered item on the premises either.

And the bonus? It cost about what the materials were going to cost to deck out the diy box properly, and now I don’t have to make that happen, plus - I think it gives me enough space that my light frame design can be simplified, meaning less materials and fiddle making. So could be the bonus all round.

I'm a traditionalist when it comes to things like that. Cuts down on the... You know... :eek:.

Ok - good. So if you were wiring in series, what would you choose? All black?

Thanks again for happening to be here with just the right piece of info, and choosing to share it. :thanks:

And let’s face it, it’s Sue’s place, so we should fully expect such things as this to happen.
:passitleft:

edited

Last question here about the tents, I promise... Sue... what height are these? In the pic they only look 1.6m (5ft)... is that right?
IMG_73535.JPG

:love:

They measure just over that Amy, at 62.5 " from the floor. I put the lights at the roof and use riser to level out the canopy. I find that so much easier to deal with.

I don't really hear the small fans in the tent. The 6" Ostberg drowns them out. :rofl:

:surf:
Sue - earlier this year you posted about the new mars tent being a step up in terms of light leak out/in the zipper and other things. Are you still happy with it? And which model do you have?

I’m deciding that building my little light is enough to manage and I don’t need the project of making my tiny closet light proof breaking my spirit, so I’m going to get a tent.

So anyone got tips on tent hunting?im currently tossing up about a mars or whether I spend a bit more for a gorilla... they look really nice... (needs to be 2x2’ and 5’ or more, 6’ is better - just in case anyone has one lying about!).

High Amy,
Allow me to drop my two cents on the subject.

Tip #1: Dont buy tents that use plastic connectors in the corners.
Stick to metal corner connectors.

Tip #2: Zippers get a lot of wear and they break and loose teeth.
Metal is preferred over plastic.
Use a lubricating oil on the zippers to keep them from sticking.

Tip #3: Bloom or Veg?
If veg you can make concessions on height.
If bloom get the tallest for the space.

Tip #4: Canvas thickness. It matters. Gorilla has one of the highest.
Use this when comparing tents.

Tip #5: Should I spend the extra for a Gorilla tent?
The short answer is No.
The cost of those tents for most hobbyists is way out of scale.

I would recommend lighthousehydro tents from the Flea by the Bay.
Hope this helps!
Grow in Peace! :)

I would recommend lighthousehydro tents from the Flea by the Bay.
Hope this helps!

Thanks Stage. :passitleft:
Lighthousehydro don’t seem to have tents at present (on website or the bay). I did find just Lighthouse tents though - but they have nylon corner joiners at the sizes I’m interested in. They don’t have one quite the size I want anyway, not are they available here. It did help to see the range though. It actually helps feel quite confident about the one I bought. It seems a perfect fit for me.

I was really taken by the diffusing white interior with the ‘homebox’ and they had one that just seemed the perfect dimensions so I’ve bit the bullet and bought it. They’re a reputable company with Aus distribution so I’m sure it’ll be fine. It’s something a little different and we’ll all be able to find out together how well it goes :). I got the AQ80+ model. Should be in the post tomorrow!

Am I really uncommon? Somehow I don't think I am in this community, but out in the so-called real world there are strong pressures to stifle this level of euphoric experience.

Oh Sue, you are far from uncommon, my wife wakes and bakes every single day. I cannot remember the last day she went without, multiple times everyday, and I'm talking about a LOT of years together!

Peace
Keith

Back
Top Bottom