Sweetsue's Tiny Closet - Second Grow - Sweet Dark Devil & Bomb Berry Bomb - CFL - LED

Re: Sweetsue's Tiny Closet - Second Grow - Sweet Dark Devil & Bomb Berry Bomb - CFL -

In other matters:

I have secured the funds to purchase, at the very least, the ventilation part of my climate control system. If I can afford it I'll get the filter too, but there are ways around that for a time. Hoping to get it all now though. Environmental control. Almost there. How exciting to watch it all fall into place, like it was meant to be. :slide:

Re: Sweetsue's Tiny Closet - Second Grow - Sweet Dark Devil & Bomb Berry Bomb - CFL -

I cannot express enough how much I look forward to watching that happen right before my eyes Doc. So damned excited it's ridiculous. What a sweet adventure this is turning out to be.

Doc, I don't think what happens in the soil food web is confined to microbes breaking down minerals. That organic matter must be of some use, don't you think? There are some organic gardeners right here growing incredible plants with that organic matter you have so little use for. Why is that? Our soils are highly mineralized as well. Are we to believe that it's just those minerals that count? I'm not trying to be smarmy Doc. I'm really curious to hear your thoughts on why organic gardening works, because obviously it does.

The organic matter serves, (or should serve) to provide energy to the soil....kinda like charging up a battery.

NPK folks do it with salts. Organic folks do it with fish juice, guano, etc. All soils need energy of some kind to really perform.

The trouble with soils heavily loaded with organic matter----and I'm not saying yours is----is threefold:

1. decrease in microbial activity. This is measured and proven. There really isn't a debate about this....there is such a thing as too much.

2. soil energy gets too high with too much organic matter. This is most often due to nitrogen/nitrate excess. My organic soils that I thought were so wonderful tested at 2000 ERGS. My High Brix soil tests at 200 ERGS. This excess energy effects the moisture balance in the plants and creates issues with osmosis and the movement of nutrients within the leaves, which results in a weaker plant.

3. Organic matter, especially manures and compost, are extremely high in potassium.....we've already been over that.

Look there are many ways to grow the plant and I admire all of them, having tried and enjoyed several myself. I'm doing something a little different. I think my pictures show plants that look kinda different, don't they?

Everyone who uses the kit will mention that plants grown in kit soil take on different morphology than when in hydro or even organic soil. Resin content is decent too. Flavors and smells are also different.

The decrease in insect pressure and hardiness of the plants is also enjoyable from a gardeners point of view.

But the best part is when you try the produce. Ask around....

Thank you for that informative response Doc. How happy am I to have the opportunity to do just that.

Im a lazy learner. I think all this stuff yall are talking about is very interesting. I dont personally like to research. In other words, I want to learn it but I dont want to look up and hunt for the information. lol

I learn lots from watching you guys talk about all these fancy communities and food webs, etc. Fascinating. I dont really have much to contribute to the conversation, so I just absorb it instead. :blushsmile:

SweetSue, your young lady is lovely. I like how the lights shade her in purples in the pictures.

I'm pretty fond of the way those colors worked out too Sorenna. In my world purple represents love. It's the first band on my wrist to remind me that it's the guiding influence in my life. How nice that my grow reflects those ideas as well.

I'm good with doing the legwork for you Sorenna. It's one of my greater loves. :love:

I'm pretty fond of the way those colors worked out too Sorenna. In my world purple represents love. It's the first band on my wrist to remind me that it's the guiding influence in my life. How nice that my grow reflects those ideas as well.

I'm good with doing the legwork for you Sorenna. It's one of my greater loves. :love:

:blushsmile: Thats nice of you. I cant pick out the information that important while Im reading it. Later, when something reminds me of it, I cant remember where I saw it. Its frustrating. lol So thank you. :thanks:

From what I remember about Larry Korn lecture (direct student of Masunobu Fukuoka- both trained soil scientists,) the problem with tilling is that Soil Food W eb community members that want to be at X deep in the soil are now Y deep in the soil, and those that want to be Y deep are now Z deep. It's not so much a mechanical injury because of movement as it is a location issue where a Soil Food Web community adapted to it's micro environment has been relocated to a reservation. In this case, the new location is nice, but the community members need to find their way to a new plots of land they can call home.

How do you personally work to create a balance Growlow? That point about an overpopulation of myco was thought-provoking. There's this idea afloat that more myco is a good thing, and that's always sounded a small bell of warning in the back of my brain. It's a balance we're trying to create. As in other parts of life, all things in moderation.

Imitation is the finest form of flattery. For mother nature nothing could be closer to the truth. I'ts just bloody hard to do.. and expensive without living in the ideal climate. I may have said in this in mine or in this journal. Due to time constraints I'll have to keep it brief. Moderation is key. Those other fungal groups and pathways are the roads Myc's travel on essentially. So by destroying things they travel on essentially debilitates their ability to multiply and thrive. There is so little known about the microlife in the soil. Though I've seen first hand the decrease in microbial life when you till compared to when left to compact down on itself and constantly being topped off with compost.. Imitate nature right? :thumb::volcano-smiley:

Hope you're having a fantastic day!

EDIT: I achieve my balance through a mixture of rock dusts and more coarse rock particulate combined with a healthy dose of diverse minerals. If you increase the conduits/catalysts that enable microbes to do their work then there is an increase in the rate in which your plant can metabolize nutrients essentially. I'm still fine tuning my balance. As I get further into this I am realizing with a large bio logical colony in the soil web you can focus less on dialing in on specific genetics requirements and more on just keeping the soil at optimized conditions. I will (once my hardware arrives) cover this thoroughly in my journal :)

Imitation is the finest form of flattery. For mother nature nothing could be closer to the truth. I'ts just bloody hard to do.. and expensive without living in the ideal climate. I may have said in this in mine or in this journal. Due to time constraints I'll have to keep it brief. Moderation is key. Those other fungal groups and pathways are the roads Myc's travel on essentially. So by destroying things they travel on essentially debilitates their ability to multiply and thrive. There is so little known about the microlife in the soil. Though I've seen first hand the decrease in microbial life when you till compared to when left to compact down on itself and constantly being topped off with compost.. Imitate nature right? :thumb::volcano-smiley:

Hope you're having a fantastic day!

EDIT: I achieve my balance through a mixture of rock dusts and more coarse rock particulate combined with a healthy dose of diverse minerals. If you increase the conduits/catalysts that enable microbes to do their work then there is an increase in the rate in which your plant can metabolize nutrients essentially. I'm still fine tuning my balance. As I get further into this I am realizing with a large bio logical colony in the soil web you can focus less on dialing in on specific genetics requirements and more on just keeping the soil at optimized conditions. I will (once my hardware arrives) cover this thoroughly in my journal :)

Which is a BIG reason I am subscribed to your journal :)

I'm not worthy, but I am damn interested !

I had a conversation with BlueJay today about our discussion of no-till LOS. Heres my take away from that:

First off, there are no studies to be found on microbial communities in containers, or at least none anyone has heard of.

On the idea of determining what your soil actually contains after years of dumping into them willy nilly, the answer is stop doing that.

The approach to a no-till requires you to leave behind the mindset that came out of NPK gardening. In no-till you need to determine the "whole food diet" for your soil. This begins with high-quality vermicompost, one of the keys to successful no-till.

Beyond that the soil needs a list of secondary trace elements and micro nutrients. Determine what you believe your soil will require (based on your intended crop) and begin to add the minimal amount of components designed to fill those requirements. Do this over time to see positive, negative or neutral results and adjust accordingly. Do this long enough and keep good enough records and you begin to build the basic list of additives to keep your soil community happiest.

How do you know if you're succeeding? Watch your plants. Become instinctive over time to your plants and your soil. Make small changes and track the results.

Bluejay has put years of study into this process and has come up with 8 additives that are necessary to continue successfully growing top-quality cannabis in no-till containers; vermicompost (preferably homegrown to your particular needs), Neem, Kelp, Aloe, SST, Coconut Water, Fulvic Acid and Silica. All were chosen inputs, included for specific and unique expected outcomes to complete the idea of a whole food diet. Those components also provide a long list of secondary benefits.

In his own words:

"Here's one way to approach soil. Soil might be composed of many (many) different species of soil dwelling life, organic matter, minerals, water, enzymes, roots (and their endless communications/exchanges within the soil) etc etc, but it interacts as a whole single living breathing entity. In that sense each container of soil is a single organism (made up of many...as our bodies are as well ) and should be approached as such, being 'fed' a nutrient rich whole food diet which by default covers all your bases, all your plants nutritional needs. "

He left me with this excellent quote;

"There is no wiser course in farming than the path of wholesome soil improvement." - Masanobu Fukuoka

I hope I gave you all more fuel for thought.

It's giving me fuel I wanna do the no till for the rest of my veggie garden and also some breeding I wanna do in two months I think this will be good for that and I might work it into my indoor grow but with that I wanna focus on the high brix first indoor

It's giving me fuel I wanna do the no till for the rest of my veggie garden and also some breeding I wanna do in two months I think this will be good for that and I might work it into my indoor grow but with that I wanna focus on the high brix first indoor

It truly is the cheapest most sustainable approach to gardening. Hands down. Also the most hands off :) If done right.

EDIT: Besides all the other obvious benefits :) :Namaste::volcano-smiley::thumb:

Which is a BIG reason I am subscribed to your journal :)

I'm not worthy, but I am damn interested !

Hahah you are totally worthy mate. The curiosity is enough alone. I didn't create this method or approach of growing out of my own conception. It's through speaking with people who are professionals in their individual field. I go to the source and speak to these people and build relationships to find out the info that matters. It's info that is needed to really dial in growing any plant. It's the same set of methods my family has used for generations of farming back in the tropics of Australia using mega potent rainforest soil and only doing mineral amendments and foliarsprays/teas. Best tasting fruit and veggies in the world. Through building up your trace minerals and having the right types of salinity in your soil. You will reduce the levels of metals in your end product and increase everything that matters. :volcano-smiley::thumb:

I said the same thing in growlow's journal in not so many words, and he says its not good to mix the soil as well. In my experience with fungi(and I have a lot. I'd consider myself an expert mycologist). It's actually really good to shake up the myco and spread it out. . . .

Thanks for the insight. Yeah I know I get long-winded sometimes :ganjamon:

And just now I found the beginnings of an answer to my earlier question!

Arbuscular mycorrhizas possess well developed extraradical mycelium (ERM) network that enlarge the surrounding soil for better acquisition of water and nutrients, besides soil aggregation.
was the first line of the abstract to a recent article in:
Frontiers | Disruption of mycorrhizal extraradical mycelium and changes in leaf water status and soil aggregate stability in rootbox-grown trifoliate orange | Plant-Microbe Interaction

I really gotta find a good introductory text that covers this stuff.

Know a good one?

cheers!

:thanks: Thank you Sue, Doc, Radogast, Growlow. bassclef, and others I missed. I learned so much today. Chalk it up to the power of asking lots of questions.

So happy I was wrong about the endo mycos and mycelial networks :Namaste:

More than happy to share my perspective :)

Thanks for the insight. Yeah I know I get long-winded sometimes :ganjamon:

And just now I found the beginnings of an answer to my earlier question!

was the first line of the abstract to a recent article in:
Frontiers | Disruption of mycorrhizal extraradical mycelium and changes in leaf water status and soil aggregate stability in rootbox-grown trifoliate orange | Plant-Microbe Interaction

I really gotta find a good introductory text that covers this stuff.

Know a good one?

cheers!

Are you looking specifically about myco or generally about the soil food web?

My interest is in finding ways to tweak the LOS no-till towards higher brix, although I may never test to determine if I have achieved it. My plan is to watch for signs of improved brix levels; obvious strength and vigor, good color for the strain, excellent leaf surface sheen, changing coloration of the petioles, strong leaf turgidity. If I see those signs showing up consistently, I'll feel confident about my approach.

the one thing interesting about myco's is they are like lunch for trichoderma. Ironically in mycology trich is a horrible thing to have.. it will take over and you can literally watch the mycelium battle it out to the end trying to fend off the trich. Trich however is in all soil, and in some of those expensive myco starters has higher counts of trich than the root stimulating myco's. I would advise staying away from those as they're probably not doing much other than taking money from you and if you really need to add more trich to your soil well. I have found a couple that don't send you a bag of trich. If it is trich you want, purchase trich, it's far cheaper than those expensive myco starters.

A good myco starter is worth its weight in gold though, as once you've established a myco colony in your soil you can like yeast take a little move it into a new container and off you go. In mycology in an extremely sterile environment we will do transfers. Take an uncolonized sterile jar of grains or whatever you're using and transfer a few colonized grains into the jar. Within a couple weeks you'll have expanded it to two jars. So there is no need to purchase one everytime you create a new pot.

The weird balance here is that plants love trich. We want to prevent a trich overload from eating all the myco in the soil before our plants have a chance to build a great root system and before the myco has a chance to establish its colony. At that point the trich probably gives more benefits to a growing plant once its roots are established. It's an interesting mix of predator and prey to create this biological symbiosis for our plants.

Daily Update: Dark Devil Auto - Day 48

You hit a point where the days start flying by. Day 48 already? How did that happen?

It's Saturday morning and I pick up breakfast from McDs and share with Dale on Saturdays. I'll look in on her again later, but just in case I don't get the time, I snapped a few quick ones for your enjoyment.

She's up another 1/4". Keep going baby. Every little bit counts here.

image24859.jpg

image24860.jpg

image24861.jpg

image24862.jpg

image24863.jpg

image24864.jpg

image24865.jpg

image24866.jpg

Zoom in on those trichomes. Can you believe how incredible they are?

image24867.jpg

Really, look at all that open space in that pot. This growing budsicles is going to be a whole new learning curve for me.

image24868.jpg

image24869.jpg

Lots to do today. I'll be ordering the ventilation/filtration system. Duggan convinced me to go with the best I could afford and my best friend kicked in the difference just because she enjoys seeing me happy. Can you believe how blessed I am? Sometimes it surprises me. :laughtwo:

The landlord let us know he'll be installing carbon monoxide detectors on the 13th. Drat! I've been working on my exotic organic veggies grown indoors story and I think I have it worked out. Minimal details and keep it brief. The man is so happy to have responsible tenants I doubt he'd mind anyway, but let's not push it. Everything will be all closed up and quiet when he's here. I think he may just be replacing the plug-in ones we got a few years back, so I may be able to head off the visit. We have an excellent relationship and I don't anticipate any problems.

Think about it. Tent, light, filtration, seeds, all donated. We're talking an incredible investment by people who obviously believe I'm capable of making good use of these gifts. It's a bit overwhelming, but I'm up to it. I think you all just really enjoy watching me get all excited about the grows. :laughtwo: I'm glad you all find it entertaining. In case you hadn't noticed,

I'M HAVING THE TIME OF MY LIFE!

It's a beautiful weekend in the making. Get out there and be as joyful as you can conjure up. It'll be great fun. Trust me on this. :laughtwo::green_heart:

Back
Top Bottom