TerpKing - First Grow - Dr Krippling Incredible Bulk - Hydro - 600W MH/HPS

Hey hey everyone! It's that time of the week again, it's update time. It's Monday 28th November and we're starting week 3 of flower.

Ladies seem to be doing pretty well, loads of bud sites forming. The left side of the tent seems to be quite a bit smaller in places than the middle and the right side though. I'm not quite sure why that is, would be interested to know if anyone else knows why that would be? I was thinking maybe not enough air getting too that side of the tent before its sucked out. The right and middle have all grown up through the Scrog but the left side seems to be trailing behind a tad. There are bud sites on the left, they just arnt as tall, they're just about reaching the Scrog net with a few bits slightly taller. You'll see in pictures provided bellow. The middle is the tallest and bushiest, I'm guessing as it's getting both spectrums of lights there.

Ive just drained out all the nutrients and replenished the reservoir with a fresh batch. I've added as follows:

Magne-Cal 0.3 EC
Ionic bloom 1.2 EC
Buddha's Tree Flower Burst 0.7ml a litre.

I run out of Cannazym and didn't get a chance to get over to the hydro store to grab some more so I've left it for now. I adjusted the PH with Growth Technologys Liquid Silicon.

Final PH 5.5, EC 1.5.

I've been keeping the day time ambient room temperatures between 24c/26.5c, night time ambient room temperatures between 18c/20.5c.
Humidity has been between 45/60% during the day time period, it's been a bit less humid last couple of days so have had to put the humidifier in to bump it up during lights on to keep it above 45%. Night time humidity has been between 45/60% too.
Reservoir temperatures between 18c/22c.

I also have some question about how how drastically I should defoliate the ladies on day 21 of flower. I know I need to lollipop the bottom leaves and strip it back to around the first layer of netting and take off any bud sites lower down which arnt going to reach up to the light and through the netting. What I'm not sure about is how many fan leaves I should strip off through the top of the canopy? I know I should take the bigger fan leaves blocking bud sites off but not sure how far to take the defoliation. I've watched a few YouTube videos and looked through a few other people's grow journals with defoliation in but seems some people only take a few, where as others drastically take away most fan leaves and just leave just the smaller leaves. What I'm hoping is someone could explain a bit better too me which leaves I should be targeting and how I know if I will be taking too much and where I should be stripping them from. Little bit nervous about taking too much or from the wrong places on my first attempt and putting the ladies into shock. The canopy is pretty bushy though and I will supply some pictures of what's been going on bellow.

420-magazine-mobile406805978.jpg
420-magazine-mobile289730162.jpg
420-magazine-mobile599751484.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1240469185.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1685452472.jpg
420-magazine-mobile86208423.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1710411793.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1723857088.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1825683425.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1013162236.jpg
420-magazine-mobile367580043.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1327509449.jpg
420-magazine-mobile156155585.jpg
420-magazine-mobile743194434.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1966981831.jpg
420-magazine-mobile268718320.jpg
420-magazine-mobile409686346.jpg
420-magazine-mobile64320063.jpg
420-magazine-mobile716740594.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1679160375.jpg
420-magazine-mobile354510879.jpg
420-magazine-mobile304155287.jpg
420-magazine-mobile123524363.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1276459389.jpg
420-magazine-mobile2131022113.jpg
420-magazine-mobile793441412.jpg

Looks good mate.

At day 21

Take off everything below the first net. leaves and any small branches that didnt make it through. Dont defol too much, its your first grow and you have nothing to gauge it against. Its dependent on several things like strain, grow style, veg length on how much to defol. Id take off any big leaves blocking bud sites. For me removing the these leaves does 2 things, allows more light to penetrate the canopy and allows more airflow preventing bud rot.

Make sure you have an oscillating fan at ground level and canopy level.

Thanks Cult, I thought things weren't looking too bad either.

Thanks for the advice on defoliation. Exactly that, I really wasn't sure how much too take and being my first attempt I really had nothing to gauge it on. Will strip away all small branches and foliage up to the first net then remove fan leaves blocking bud sites. Should I take anything from the middle at all as it's rather thick? I tried to upload a video update but not sure if it's uploaded or viewable properly? Could you see it cult? Yes I thought exactly that, what you're suggesting taking those fan leaves away does.

I don't have a small fan for the bottom, I'll pick a smaller oscillating fan up asap. Thanks for the advice pal.

Just a little mid week update for everyone.

Things are still looking good, buds seem to be getting bigger, quite a few bud sites too, rather happy about that. Not the most even canopy in the world but still not too bad for my first attempt. Plants are still getting taller and reaching up towards the light during their stretch, keep having to lift them up a little bit each day at lights on.

I've been letting the reservoir fluctuate between 1.5 and 1.8 EC before knocking it back down. The reservoir is staying a lot cooler now too since it's a lot more covered by the canopy. Been keeping it between 18c/20c. Have been letting the PH fluctuate between 5.5 and 6.1ish. I'm having to top up the reservoir every couple of days with more nutrients, they're drinking almost half the reservoir in a couple of days, that must be a good sign of healthy root systems, the ladies definitely like a drink, that's for sure!

Ambient day time temperatures between 23.5c/26.5c. Ambient night time temperature between 18.5c/21c. Relative humidity between 50/60% lights on and off.

I've also now added a oscillating fan at ground level too, to keep air circulating lower down.

Here's some pictures of what's been going on over the last few days!

420-magazine-mobile711353702.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1138220649.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1831394358.jpg
420-magazine-mobile29091085.jpg
420-magazine-mobile918275550.jpg
420-magazine-mobile569032124.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1666063657.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1275301631.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1533932829.jpg

Been trying to upload a couple of videos of what's happening but the app really doesn't like it when you try to upload a video, it just crashes every time I try, does anyone at 420 know why your app won't work well when uploading videos? It gives you the option but it doesn't want to know at all!

Here's another little video update of today, I can upload videos via 420, but not the actual 420 app, most annoying, hopefully they sort that soon. Videos only seem to be viewable on a web browser tho, not via either app. Hope you enjoy! TerpKing - 420 Magazine(16920050) on Vimeo

Thanks Cncpro, I just uploaded another one too for you to check out. I know right, pictures don't do it justice really, you get a much better idea of what's going on via video, I completely agree with you. Shame they don't seem to upload or are viewable via the 420 app.

You know what, I have absolutely no idea what so ever about how much I may or may not get. I'd like to hope a couple of pounds at least though. As this is my first time flowering anything I really don't know what to expect, I'm hoping the weed gods are good to me though, haha!

Oki koki, I'll give that a go now cult too make it better for everyone to see. Thanks for that advice. Would you suggest a separate YouTube account for safety reasons or is it ok to you personal ones if it's unlisted? Not quite sure about that.

I've got 2x 600w Hortilux HPS and in the middle I have a 315w D-Papillon with a Phillips day light bulb.

After sitting and thinking about that question for a couple of minutes... Of course I create a new account lol, foolish question .! Here's a video update now everybody should be able to see. The quality didn't come out as good as the quality is when I watch it back on my phone though, not sure why that is.

Day 18 of flower.

Day 18 flower - YouTube

Id create an anonymous account to be safe.

I think you will pull around a kg maybe. Problem you have is the footprint. But 1kg off that small tray would be decent result.
I decided to do just that, stupid question really!

I'd be pretty happy with a kg for my first attempt. Do you mean the foot print of the lights, or the footprint of the ebb and flow system itself? I know the system doesn't really help me maximise the space I have as it just sits in the middle.

I'm definitely going to do coco for my next run cult so I will have to discuss plans with you on how I do that closer too the time if that's all good with you? I will also start getting some seeds germinated and started off when these have a few weeks left to go to help save some time, then that should hopefully save me 3 or 4 weeks instead of starting once this is done.

Yeah I did think you meant the system, just had to check though as wasn't 100%.

Would it not be a bit early to start them now? I only have enough room in my place to veg them out in a smaller tent as pushed for space. I was thinking 3 or 4 weeks before these are dry as I'll need to dry them in the tent they're in now too most likely.

Awesome, thanks for being prepared to help me with the coco. I was thinking if I can get them to the point so they will only need a couple of weeks veg before flip in my big tent that wouldn't be too bad at all.

My flower tent is 2.4m / 1.2m. How many plants do you think I could squeeze in with smart pots and what size pots doing coco, maybe 10 or 12? It would definitely help me utilise the space I have better for sure. I wish I'd have spoke to you before purchasing what I had. We live and learn ayy!

Back
Top Bottom