TeSmp's 400W White Widow's + Soil & DWC Lollipops

Re: teSmp's 400w White Widow's + Soil & DWC Lollipops - BPN

New air cooled hood got here today. Should be installing it later on :)

IMG_083317.jpg
IMG_083211.jpg

nice hood, should allow you to keep the temps way down, if i had the chance to use lights like that i would, but till things change i gota make do with what i got.

so you really dont think its worth me picking up a son 70watt lamp, its basically a flood light thats the local tool warehouse sells, they got them on offer and could get one, but you think id get just as good results using only cfls, i mean i got loads of cfls but they have no got reflectors so ill be making my own, im happy to continue to use the cfls but if the son lamp will increase yield and give me denser buds then i dont mind picking it up and taking a chance, but if its not going to make any difference to the outcome then i dont want to be wasting my money, im only asking as the 23 watt cfls seem very dull and dont give off much light, i can use more cfls as and when needed but didnt know if that son lamp would boost the growth slightly during flower stage

Nice hood, you'll really like the difference they make.

Wish I would have gotten one like yours, but I can't complain, I was gifted a brand new setup for Christmas this year. The main difference is that my two air cooled openings on the hood are on the long sides, not the short sides like yours. Mine worked perfectly when I was just using one opening to vent air through the hood and out. Now, I have a carbon filter on the other side of the light with a small inline booster fan and it produces too much suction in my hood and pulls the glass up towards the light just slightly. It makes a whirl/whistle sound as well as I can smell a little of the grow room coming out of the exhaust!

All in all, I would recommend everyone to purchase a hood that is set up like yours. Another thing, everyone should get 6" hoods... mine is 4" and I'm just fighting everything. Would have been much easier to get a 6" and reduce to 4" if needed.

Welcome back bud. Like the new hood. You gonna get some more 2L's, and if so, you gonna do soil or hempy?

So is an enclosed hood more better to have than a Wing Reflector?

This is what I have at the moment.
1663386229386.png

:peacetwo:

I'd say that if you have no heat problems, then your should be fine. I just liked the fact that teSmp's new hood is aircooled. Never had one, myself, but i 've heard they make it much easier to control temps.:peace:

This is what I have at the moment.

In my opinion, it allows you to direct the hottest air out of the grow room at it's source. On top of that, it allows me to cool my room with a single, smaller fan than a lot of people. Needing a fan to pull air over the bulb and out the room shouldn't really be a problem, everyone should already be venting out anyway. Most of us use inlines or some sort of blower fan that can get the job done.

Adds up in the end to less electricity usage imo. Less fans needed to cool it, let's me get the light closer as well. More lumens for my babies. The wing reflectors could potentially create a very hot area just below the bulb. All in all, these hoods save money and provide better light!

I think it also makes a big difference in the shape of the hood. I like the cool tubes, but I can't think of a practical reasoning behind them. They cool the bulb very well I'd imagine, but the light isn't directed straight down like the wing reflector and the other hoods. In my newbie opinion, the best kind to get is one like teSmp has with the vent openings on the short side rather than the long side.

Very nice! :bravo:

Thanks Albatross :)

nice hood, should allow you to keep the temps way down, if i had the chance to use lights like that i would, but till things change i gota make do with what i got.

so you really dont think its worth me picking up a son 70watt lamp, its basically a flood light thats the local tool warehouse sells, they got them on offer and could get one, but you think id get just as good results using only cfls, i mean i got loads of cfls but they have no got reflectors so ill be making my own, im happy to continue to use the cfls but if the son lamp will increase yield and give me denser buds then i dont mind picking it up and taking a chance, but if its not going to make any difference to the outcome then i dont want to be wasting my money, im only asking as the 23 watt cfls seem very dull and dont give off much light, i can use more cfls as and when needed but didnt know if that son lamp would boost the growth slightly during flower stage

I can't tell you whether or not it would be beneficial to be honest. I know nothing about those types of bulbs. I would personally just keep adding enough CFLs to have 50w sq/ft minimum and you'll be good to go. I made reflectors for my CFLs out of pop cans they work pretty good. I'll post pics if you would like!

:welcome: back man. Things are looking good. How'd you get the screen out just cut the strings or did you just lift it back off? Glad to see you back. :thumb:

Thank you McPuffin! and yeah I cut the screen out I won't be using it again. I'll re-do the screen to fit my tent when I SCROG again in a few months. :thanks:

Nice hood, you'll really like the difference they make.

Wish I would have gotten one like yours, but I can't complain, I was gifted a brand new setup for Christmas this year. The main difference is that my two air cooled openings on the hood are on the long sides, not the short sides like yours. Mine worked perfectly when I was just using one opening to vent air through the hood and out. Now, I have a carbon filter on the other side of the light with a small inline booster fan and it produces too much suction in my hood and pulls the glass up towards the light just slightly. It makes a whirl/whistle sound as well as I can smell a little of the grow room coming out of the exhaust!

All in all, I would recommend everyone to purchase a hood that is set up like yours. Another thing, everyone should get 6" hoods... mine is 4" and I'm just fighting everything. Would have been much easier to get a 6" and reduce to 4" if needed.

Yeah I'm looking the hood so far I need to make some adjustments but I really like the upgrade, it seems to make it a lot brighter as well. I did get a 6" and reduced it to fit my 4" fan. I may re-do it and get an inline fan but probably not it seems to be working ok. I need to get rubber to seal the glass better.

Welcome back bud. Like the new hood. You gonna get some more 2L's, and if so, you gonna do soil or hempy?

Thank you Pierce. I believe I saw you post in donpauls journal saying you could post some pics there or here, feel free to post a few here :) Yes I plan to get one more 2L of Purple Kush and then get another WW clone and place it in the DWC bucket. I will FIM it right when I get it and it will go straight into flower so I'll have 4 long lollipop arms! and on the 2L I'm thinking of trying perlite/vermiculite. Can I do just perlite, I have a ton and no vermiculite.

To be honest I did it so I could control temps better and keep my 400w within 5" instead of 13". I believe I have seen somewhere that the wing reflectors are some of the most efficient (could be wrong) but I did it for the most part to control temps.

I'd say that if you have no heat problems, then your should be fine. I just liked the fact that teSmp's new hood is aircooled. Never had one, myself, but i 've heard they make it much easier to control temps.:peace:

Agreed :)

with air cooled you need an inline fan to pull cool air from outside your grow space over the bulb and exhaust it out

nice upgrade teSmp!!:bravo:

Thank you ilikebike, however, I must have it hooked up wrong lol. I just have it sucking air into the booster fan running through the hood and out the other side routed out of the tent and into the carbon filter. I know the carbon filter is supposed to be first in line but I think my 4" fan is to weak to pull through the fan it seems to be working a lot better pushing at the end. Temps are 3 degrees cooler running at only 25% rather than 100%. I have to add that I need to buy rubber stripping to put around the glass because it is leaking quite a bit of hot air out. With that fixed I think it will be probably 10 degrees cooler with the fan running around 50%. As it is right now I can place my hand on the glass and it feels no warmer then a warm computer (not hot computer lol).

If anyone is interested, the hood was $83 dollar shipped.

very nice bro! how big are the buds now? like inch wize? i like the size of your plants cuz of the LST

Thank you :) Mmmm, from 3-6" roughly. My plant's were originally LST'd then SCROG but you could say I just used the screen to LST essentially. I took the screen out yesterday. :thanks:

Nice to see you back bro! I was wondering why you weren't replying to mine & Astonr's messages, makes since now that I found your journal :cheesygrinsmiley:

Bummer you were only using half strength nutes, full strength and that air cooled hood should Really help!

Welcome back

:peace:

Thanks Stoned4daze! Yeah I tried responding to you guys but it wouldn't let me till I got 25 posts, I can go and reply to them now lol :) And yeah I really think the full strength nutes and keeping the lights closer the last 3-4 weeks should really help fatten them up, maybe not but I hope!!

Wow, thanks for the rubber idea. I'm stuck in the "use duct tape and gorilla tape to fix everything" mode lol. I must try this!

5" is pretty damn close, I feel I could have done that before I added the carbon filter, but now the glass is too hot to hold your hand on it for more than a few seconds. Before I could have it there all day with no problems.. Let me know how the rubber thing turns out, and what you use. Now that you got me thinking, I used some cheap door weather seal at Home Depot to put around my door... Maybe that stuff could be put in and have the glass resting over it?

Wow, thanks for the rubber idea. I'm stuck in the "use duct tape and gorilla tape to fix everything" mode lol. I must try this!

5" is pretty damn close, I feel I could have done that before I added the carbon filter, but now the glass is too hot to hold your hand on it for more than a few seconds. Before I could have it there all day with no problems.. Let me know how the rubber thing turns out, and what you use. Now that you got me thinking, I used some cheap door weather seal at Home Depot to put around my door... Maybe that stuff could be put in and have the glass resting over it?

That stuff sounds like it would work great. I know mine will be wayyyyy cooler when I get the rubber stripping I can feel hot air blowing out all around. My glass is also fairly cool I have the carbon filter at the end of the line instead of first. I just switched it around tonight, I can't smell a single thing (I could the other way) and it's the only way I could get my little booster fan to work with the carbon filter and all that ducting. I can hold any part of my hand or arm on the glass for as long as I want. It feels a little cooler then the bottom of my laptop. :)

That stuff sounds like it would work great. I know mine will be wayyyyy cooler when I get the rubber stripping I can feel hot air blowing out all around. My glass is also fairly cool I have the carbon filter at the end of the line instead of first. I just switched it around tonight, I can't smell a single thing (I could the other way) and it's the only way I could get my little booster fan to work with the carbon filter and all that ducting. I can hold any part of my hand or arm on the glass for as long as I want. It feels a little cooler then the bottom of my laptop. :)

Very nice, I just realized why you could feel the hot air. I'm like, I can't feel any... Haha, I'm sucking through instead of blowing like you are. At least your issue might be okay (depending on your temps), because most of the time my fan cools the room TOO much. You won't have any smell coming out, with your carbon filter at the end. I, however, suck through the filter, then non-filtered air is picked up from the hood before going outside. I gotta have my duct up to an open window (barely cracked) to keep the room from getting too warm, or else I'd probably just throw the carbon filter on the end since I need to lose some power in the fan to keep my temps a little higher.

All in all, I cannot wait to see yours harvested. It's sweet watching my first girls grow, but now I've got a lot invested into many other people's journals. Exciting, haha. Really gives me something to keep my mind off the pain.

Very nice, I just realized why you could feel the hot air. I'm like, I can't feel any... Haha, I'm sucking through instead of blowing like you are. At least your issue might be okay (depending on your temps), because most of the time my fan cools the room TOO much. You won't have any smell coming out, with your carbon filter at the end. I, however, suck through the filter, then non-filtered air is picked up from the hood before going outside. I gotta have my duct up to an open window (barely cracked) to keep the room from getting too warm, or else I'd probably just throw the carbon filter on the end since I need to lose some power in the fan to keep my temps a little higher.

All in all, I cannot wait to see yours harvested. It's sweet watching my first girls grow, but now I've got a lot invested into many other people's journals. Exciting, haha. Really gives me something to keep my mind off the pain.

Ohh so your going carbon filter > hood > booster > out? Yeah I can feel a ton of air coming out of the hood, it will work really well I can tell once I get it sealed up. It is also working better for odor control the way it is. I know man I can't wait to see my harvest to, I know my next grows will be much better :)

Stoked to watch you try out the DWC! If it works out well for you, I might pick one up and let you guide me through it.:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom