I get a bit of lecheate but not excess. You will see all sorts of bugs come and go. They balance themselves out.

Oyster shell is the only calcium I add, plus I use used soil which has all 3 calciums in it, and I still get the white mites.

Not infestations, but if I lay zucinni rings on top they will be the 1st to find it and it will look like lots, but then they disappear again. I let it do whatever it wants and never overwater it and never leave scraps on the surface and it just works all on it's own.

It will get skanky and wet if you over feed it. Most of the bugs will stay up in the top tray. Once you put another tray on top they will migrate up following the fresh food.

You should be getting a few drops at least out the tap.

I strongly suspect it’s too dry. I have plenty of calcium as well. Used soil that has 3 calcium types plus I added oyster shell to the bin. I haven’t gotten a single drop of leachate yet.

It said to keep it as moist as a damp sponge. I have a feeling I have a different definition of damp. The bedding is damp to the touch but no water comes out at all when squeezed, not a drop. That’s a damp sponge to me. However I read that it should be around 60% moisture and that’s definitely more than a damp sponge to me.

I strongly suspect it’s too dry. I have plenty of calcium as well. Used soil that has 3 calcium types plus I added oyster shell to the bin. I haven’t gotten a single drop of leachate yet.

It said to keep it as moist as a damp sponge. I have a feeling I have a different definition of damp. The bedding is damp to the touch but no water comes out at all when squeezed, not a drop. That’s a damp sponge to me. However I read that it should be around 60% moisture and that’s definitely more than a damp sponge to me.

20240420_152116.jpg

I know a lot of people scoff at these but they dictate my whole operation. 5-6 is perfect for turgid leaves under full light. I have 3 that are all under 5 bucks and all 3 are different brands and they all read the same, plus you can stab then thru the side of a cloth pot to study moisture across the entire rootball, and it reads a 10, so thats relatively wet but...

20240420_152119.jpg

It's just right for myco.

And if you zoom in you can see that the soil at the edges is a bit dry.

I don't really pay much attention to my worm bin. Mine is a series of stacked storage bins . I add good scraps weekly to the top bin and cover with compost, sprinkle in some amendments and call it good. I do this for 8 weeks and then I harvest the lower bin and everything else rotates down.

So I really couldn't tell you what all goes on on the bins. I get lots of springtails In the top bin as well as lots of other critters, bit things seem to progress fine without much input from me.

TMSC - Day 19 of Flower.

20240420_170419.jpg

A group shot from the front door,

20240420_170032.jpg

and another from the back door.

20240420_170039.jpg

Here is one of Iklwa's colas.

20240420_170053.jpg

And an RVDV1 cola.

20240420_170101.jpg

This one,

20240420_170110.jpg

and this one, are 2 angles of the same RV2 top.

20240420_170121.jpg

This is Ikky's single mutant cola,

20240420_170115.jpg

And the other RV2 cola.

The pistils are really coming in on these mutant tops now. They look like they are going to be really showy if they keep going.

Will this be the 1st time your mutants have reached flowering? I recall you mentioning the difficulties in the past with getting them to flower/harvest. 💎💎💎 Steady as she goes!!🙏💯🥰
Hi Jiggi, It is.

I've had a couple others over the years. One fizzled out before flower and one right after stretch, but they were both whorled phylotaxy's.

This one is called polyploidism, which means it has more than the regular 2 sets of chromosomes, and it displays itself in this instance as fasciation, which is the wide flat stem with dual sets of leaves (and sometimes triples) at each node.

From what I have read, it is, although not common, also not rare in cannabis.

It is said to be a survival mechanism of new species and helps the species adapt in it's early stages as it heightens a plants ability to become invasive to allow it to find a home to survive until it becomes indigenous.

In cannabis, most strains are crosses or crosses of crosses, or even a few more crosses deep, of landraces.

To a plant, when 2 landraces cross for the 1st time, the plant kingdom considers the first F1 of the original crosses to be a new strain, so polyploidism is more common, but selective breeding makes it easy to breed out.

RVDV is a cross of 2 ancient land races I do believe, but @Lerugged would know more about this part.

If that is true, then it's part of the price of admission that gets paid, so to speak, when dealing with new strains.

Those original F1's are also where the best pheno's are with the most vigor, so by the sounds of it, it's to be expected, but not common.

If I were to cross this strain (a non mutant pheno) with another male from these F1's (also a non mutant pheno), those F2's would have a lot of the polyploidismness bred out, so it's really a helping hand from nature to give that 1st crossing a chance to survive.

Apparently they aren't great for what we want, as yield is usually low quality, but with all the extra pistils it can carry many more seeds than a normal diploid plant can.

For me, it's a pretty darn cool plant, whether it's a good harvest or not, and her sister, RVDV1 is a gorgeous non mutant pheno, so I have already got my monies worth out of the 1st 2 seeds i popped👍.

Because it's uncommon, gorgeous, and kinda cool, I will share her progress daily until she fizzles out or finishes, so we can all watch.

Plus it forces conversation and googling which always gets interesting and who knows where that might lead.

It's a nice change from the same old same old😊🥰.

And it occurred in a grow where all the plants are already extremely different from each other, so accommodating her giant size and height isn't so bad. This canopy was never going to be an even one, the strains are just too varied.

And she's very photogenic for a Chick that looks like she has never once in her life brushed her hair🤣.

A true Wild Child❤️

She is a specific expression of a specific landrace, from a specific area.
They have been open pollinated to keep the lines. I've seen it a few times. I usually snip it off below the celery. I would often get a bigger than average harvest.
Cheers
Thanks Matt👊. It would have been really easy to snip out. The 2 branches that mutated were on the 2nd node, but I chose to snip out the normal to watch the mutation. 😎. The normal part was the plant that split on me when I strapped her down.

I read recently that cannabis was likely the first cultivated plant, even before the grains and other staples. As such, it was planted wherever the original humans migrated to and settled, and therefore true landraces don't really exist.

Rather, they are locally adapted plants from seed brought to various areas through migration. That source suggested it all came from the step plateaus in Mongolia I believe.

Not sure how accurate that is, but was an interesting read.

I read recently that cannabis was likely the first cultivated plant, even before the grains and other staples. As such, it was planted wherever the original humans migrated to and settled, and therefore true landraces don't really exist.

Rather, they are locally adapted plants from seed brought to various areas through migration. That source suggested it all came from the step plateaus in Mongolia I believe.

Not sure how accurate that is, but was an interesting read.
I often wonder who was that person, the 1st person that was all... "Hey look at that bulky plant. . I wonder if I can dry it out an smoke it??" 😆
Gotta love history

I am now bordering on certainty that it was too dry. No point in the bin registered a 10 on my moisture meter. The most I got was a 7 at the bottom which isn’t surprising. The rest was between 3-4 on the top and 4-6 in the middle. Thats too much variation and not high enough across the board.

Also, I checked the bin this morning and the mites are fleeing as seen here:
IMG_8384.jpeg

They don’t like the extra moisture, they’re moving to the dryer areas. Also, when pulling back the paper I saw worm activity at the surface for the first time in a while as seen here

IMG_8385.jpeg

The red mites seem to not care about the changes I’ve made. However, they’re nowhere near as numerous as the white mites so I’m not concerned with their presence.

No leachate or liquid from the spout yet but that’s okay, I’m slowly wetting the entire bin in increments so I don’t swing the environment to the opposite direction and get it too wet.

I don't really pay much attention to my worm bin. Mine is a series of stacked storage bins . I add good scraps weekly to the top bin and cover with compost, sprinkle in some amendments and call it good. I do this for 8 weeks and then I harvest the lower bin and everything else rotates down.

So I really couldn't tell you what all goes on on the bins. I get lots of springtails In the top bin as well as lots of other critters, bit things seem to progress fine without much input from me.

You’ve seen my other journals, I can’t leave it alone until I’ve seen every scenario play out with my own eyes lol. The same reason I have 20 books on bacteria is the same reason I have to watch these bins every day until I’ve seen everything they’ll do. It sucks in the beginning when I’m bumbling my way through the initial stages but it makes me much more confident as time goes on.

I am now bordering on certainty that it was too dry. No point in the bin registered a 10 on my moisture meter. The most I got was a 7 at the bottom which isn’t surprising. The rest was between 3-4 on the top and 4-6 in the middle. Thats too much variation and not high enough across the board.

Also, I checked the bin this morning and the mites are fleeing as seen here:
IMG_8384.jpeg

They don’t like the extra moisture, they’re moving to the dryer areas. Also, when pulling back the paper I saw worm activity at the surface for the first time in a while as seen here

IMG_8385.jpeg

The red mites seem to not care about the changes I’ve made. However, they’re nowhere near as numerous as the white mites so I’m not concerned with their presence.

No leachate or liquid from the spout yet but that’s okay, I’m slowly wetting the entire bin in increments so I don’t swing the environment to the opposite direction and get it too wet.
Sounds like you got it coming around nicely👍😊

Day 1 for the RVDV clones.

It went pretty well and they don't seem to be complaining.

The mix they are in is a bit complicated to explain but I'll try.

I mixed 8 gallons of The Answer potting soil with 4 gallons of EWC and 4 gallons of perlite, and then added 3 cups of dolomite.

After mixing that I added 4 gallons of used Durban soil from last grow, and then ammended the whole mix with 3 tbsp per gallon of Gaia 4-4-4 All Purpose fertilizer and 3 tbsp per gallon of Gaia 2-8-4 Power Bloom.

Then I mixed it all in the cement mixer for awhile.

After it was all mixed I made the clone pots with a 50/50 mix of that mix and more used Durban soil.

That makes this mix 62.5% used soil.

If it's not to much for fresh roots then these clones should do really well. If it is too hot, well at least 3 of the 6 soil clones have rooted🤣

20240418_163913.jpg

Here they are all potted up in 1.66gals.

20240418_163537.jpg

Compared to the solo cups, you can see how small the cuts are.

These likely won't make it to flower as the timing is all wrong. In 8 weeks when the flower tent is available they will likely be too big, so the best one will get pruned back into a manageable sized mother plant, and next grow when I pop some LC-18 and Wild Lady seeds, I will add some RVDV clones to fill the tent out.

20240418_142115.jpg

Here's the BK Gal with her 8 manifolded tops plus her 2 clone branches, and since the cloner now only has Figgy in it...

20240418_163612.jpg

I lopped off the clone branches and put them in the cloner.

20240418_142546.jpg

In anticipation of this I topped one clone branch a few days ago and this will be a 2 headed clone. It's the bigger clone.

20240418_143334.jpg

And this is BK with only her 8 tops and her 1st strapping down.

20240418_143340.jpg

She better like it, cuz tonight she goes to bed early. Getting her into the flower tent wasn't easy. 🤣

No pressure BK, that's just 3 beastly mutant tops eyeballing you. You got this.

Any bets on how far into flower that little 1.6gal Gal can go with only fish ferts, RO water, and topdressings? I'll rescue it if I have to, but mostly I'm just testing this mix.

The Worms are rubbing their bellies🤣. They already ate the 2 boys.
Hi Gee.

Never saw a quad line from 2 branches. Does it make for better light reception and air flow?

Sounds like you got it coming around nicely👍😊

It’s my favorite part about nature. She’ll always give you signs to guide you. It’s just a matter of understanding the signs you’re given.

Back
Top Bottom