Hi Gee.

Never saw a quad line from 2 branches. Does it make for better light reception and air flow?
Hi Scott✌️.It's called manifolding or mainlining. Its a bit like a quad but you get bigger colas and less larf.

When it all comes off the same node, and I prefer node 3, it distributes all nutes equally to all 8 colas with equal apical dominance for all 8.

If you look back to early December in here you will see a grow I did of 4 plants at 8 colas each, giving the tent a perfect 32 cola canopy similar to a scrog, but you can pull the plants out if you want. It's my preferred method. All cola, no larf. It makes for easy harvesting.

The 4 plants gave me somewhere around 1 3/4 lbs. Not bad for 4 sativas. That's about average, but there wasn't any larf, only nugs. All the other trainings I have tried create too much larf and lesser colas.

These TMSC plants were only manifolded to 4 tops each, and I left the clone branches on, so 6 tops each, but they had a very rough start so they aren't trained well at all.

The small BK is manifolded to 8 tops and will stretch into a good shape though. Well if that little pot makes it thru stretch🤣.

20240421_133526.jpg

Here she is today on Day 3 of Flower. She's starting to stretch already.

Hi Scott✌️.It's called manifolding or mainlining. Its a bit like a quad but you get bigger colas and less larf.

When it all comes off the same node, and I prefer node 3, it distributes all nutes equally to all 8 colas with equal apical dominance for all 8.

If you look back to early December in here you will see a grow I did of 4 plants at 8 colas each, giving the tent a perfect 32 cola canopy similar to a scrog, but you can pull the plants out if you want. It's my preferred method. All cola, no larf. It makes for easy harvesting.

The 4 plants gave me somewhere around 1 3/4 lbs. Not bad for 4 sativas. That's about average, but there wasn't any larf, only nugs. All the other trainings I have tried create too much larf and lesser colas.

These TMSC plants were only manifolded to 4 tops each, and I left the clone branches on, so 6 tops each, but they had a very rough start so they aren't trained well at all.

The small BK is manifolded to 8 tops and will stretch into a good shape though. Well if that little pot makes it thru stretch🤣.

20240421_133526.jpg

Here she is today on Day 3 of Flower. She's starting to stretch already.

The most important aspect of maintaining a proper manifold is keeping all of your cola tips level across the canopy

IMG_8379.jpeg

Each cola tip is the same height on this plant. If you maintain this throughout stretch you’ll get equal colas. If any of them get higher than the others it will receive more resources than the others. In small doses this isn’t a big deal. Done wrong though and you’ll be left with lopsided colas that don’t take advantage of the environment and medium as efficiently and can cut into your yield.

The most important aspect of maintaining a proper manifold is keeping all of your cola tips level across the canopy

IMG_8379.jpeg

Each cola tip is the same height on this plant. If you maintain this throughout stretch you’ll get equal colas. If any of them get higher than the others it will receive more resources than the others. In small doses this isn’t a big deal. Done wrong though and you’ll be left with lopsided colas that don’t take advantage of the environment and medium as efficiently and can cut into your yield.
Very true, thats why I like this method. It's really easy to manage.

20240421_144434.jpg

The onion on the left is the shrivelled green onion I revived and rooted last month and the smaller one is the stub from the bottom of a chopped green onion. The big one has a flower getting close to opening, and the smaller one has a flower just starting.

20240421_144611.jpg

Here's the flower starting on the smaller one.

They were both grown in the solos only on the window sill, no grow lights. They did quite well. Yayy for free onion seeds😎.

Here's a post I did a while back when I had a question about a few of the different training methodd.
Myself I like the original version. Mainlining I guess. It's where the best colas are, and by best I mean all identical to the best cola on the plant, but it only works from seed.

Quadding is great for clones.

Nebula's version I don't like as much. It's not as symmetrical, but again, it works great on clones.

But they all work really well, just pick your poison.

My preferred way with clones is to top at 8 nodes for 16 branches, and then prune out the 4 runtiest branches. 12 tops is a really good balance for a 10gal pot. For a clone, the buds will get quite large. I don't mainline/manifold or quad clones very often. To me clones are for quick grows. Just root, veg, top, and flip. If I'm going to spend time with heavy training I'll always prefer from seed.

But if you find a good pheno, running a full tent of clones to get another couple pounds of it IS pretty sweet.

20240421_144434.jpg

The onion on the left is the shrivelled green onion I revived and rooted last month and the smaller one is the stub from the bottom of a chopped green onion. The big one has a flower getting close to opening, and the smaller one has a flower just starting.

20240421_144611.jpg

Here's the flower starting on the smaller one.

They were both grown in the solos only on the window sill, no grow lights. They did quite well. Yayy for free onion seeds😎.
Im growing some walking onions for the first time, interesting plant. Havent ate them yet but they are growing flowers too.

Myself I like the original version. Mainlining I guess. It's where the best colas are, and by best I mean all identical to the best cola on the plant, but it only works from seed.

Quadding is great for clones.

Nebula's version I don't like as much. It's not as symmetrical, but again, it works great on clones.

But they all work really well, just pick your poison.

My preferred way with clones is to top at 8 nodes for 16 branches, and then prune out the 4 runtiest branches. 12 tops is a really good balance for a 10gal pot. For a clone, the buds will get quite large. I don't mainline/manifold or quad clones very often. To me clones are for quick grows. Just root, veg, top, and flip. If I'm going to spend time with heavy training I'll always prefer from seed.

But if you find a good pheno, running a full tent of clones to get another couple pounds of it IS pretty sweet.
I'd have to agree. In my limited space clones seem to work much better. Those from seed generally get too big and aggressive. Seed plants seem to be much more robust in their growth habit.

So, I've come to prefer quadding clones from just a few preferred strains, and cycle them through, refreshing the mothers by replacement every 6 months or so. Not as interesting as constantly growing new strains, but fits with my needs.

20231022_060838.jpg

20231022_060824.jpg

Here is a couple shots from about week 2 or 3 of flower from my last grow. 32 colas all the same height.
I’ve gotten good at getting my garden to this point, but things always go south from here. Where, when & what to defoliate, when & whether to feed or top dress, my god, I’m a carpenter, not a botanist!

I'd have to agree. In my limited space clones seem to work much better. Those from seed generally get too big and aggressive. Seed plants seem to be much more robust in their growth habit.

So, I've come to prefer quadding clones from just a few preferred strains, and cycle them through, refreshing the mothers by replacement every 6 months or so. Not as interesting as constantly growing new strains, but fits with my needs.
Clones are definitely convenient and they can be made to fit timelines perfectly. And yeah your right, you get to pick the veg size, which is really nice if you are in a smaller grow space, plus you know exactly what you are getting.

I enjoy the pheno hunts you get with seeds.

Im growing some walking onions for the first time, interesting plant. Havent ate them yet but they are growing flowers too.
Cool, I have never grown them but the wife and I were actually talking about trying some. Lemme know what you think of them please.

I’ve gotten good at getting my garden to this point, but things always go south from here. Where, when & what to defoliate, when & whether to feed or top dress, my god, I’m a carpenter, not a botanist!
I only defoliate branches, I leave the leaves. They are your batteries to protect you if a deficiency arises. They buy you time to implement a fix. Larfy branches drain the pot, so it's a two-fer.

I didn't defoliate much on these TMSC's. I want to watch how they grow and how well this Gaia Green mix can do.

Next seed grow will be much more manicured.

EWC and mineral dusts are good topdressings. Kelp is always a good addition. The trick to organics is to do things 2 weeks in advance. You have to be pre-emptive.

Do you use spikes? They really make a difference.

It was likely @Bill284 's ancestors🤣
They were in a pub in Ireland drinking warm beer. :rolleyes: unfortunately. :Namaste:
But if I didn't find my dad's stash whe I was 13 :rollit:who knows where I'd be.
Took me an hour and 20 papers to figure out that rolling machine :rofl:
Determination, hehe!

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

They were in a pub in Ireland drinking warm beer. :rolleyes: unfortunately. :Namaste:
But if I didn't find my dad's stash whe I was 13 :rollit:who knows where I'd be.
Took me an hour and 20 papers to figure out that rolling machine :rofl:
Determination, hehe!

Stay safe
Bill284 😎
lol my Dad was a farmer from Saskatchewan. He was as anti drug as they come. When I was 14 he found my pot plants. After reaming my ass he cracked a big smile and said, "Well at least they look like healthy plants" and that was that, he never gave me shit for growing weed again.

A couple years later I was out partying for May long weekend and we got a late frost. When I got home from a 3 day bender expecting them to be dead or dying I found them out in the back of the property with 5 gallon pails and straw over them.

Dad never said a word but I think they actually fascinated him.

A few times over the years as a teenager I would find his smoke butts in the area.

Then California Redhair and Skunk arrived, they became huge and stinky, and he said "No more, the neighbors are talking", and thats when I became a guerilla gardener out in the local forests.

Oh The Good Ol' Days...

Back
Top Bottom