Hello @Lerugged ! What is the potency of these landrace strains? Can you flower these early indoors to keep them from getting too tall?
Hello.
I would say the potency is around 18 to 20 %. The High is completely different from hybrids and modern strains. It's all high and no stone. No ceiling either.
You could grow them on 12/12 to keep them smaller. Otherwise you could quadline it like @StoneOtter did, which kept it quite low.
Hope that helps

This is great! I bought a little Vivosun submersible pump system and have been all over Amazon and garden stores to try to add emitters since it comes with 8 and one really needs 4 per plant. I know because I was running 2 per plant and the pot stays half dry even when you water heavily.
The problem comes because standard drip systems aren't necessarily made like the submersible pump systems. Those parts don't play well together and I was getting frustrated. You came up with a simple solution, just use garden store parts coming straight off the main line. Why couldn't I think of that?

The system you bought, was it this one? What is the issue with trying to add emitters? Are you referencing the fact that most drip irrigation systems are designed for faucets/spigots, and this one is a submersible pump?

IMG_8414.png

I am doing indoor drip irrigation. I have 2 - 10 gallon buckets that auto-fill with RO water. I use a RV water pump to pump the water. The water pick ups in my storage buckets have stainless fine mesh screen for a filter. The water also runs through a wye strainer and a pressure reducing regulator (all drip irrigation fittings), keeping pressure down to 15 psi. I use timers with solenoid valves to turn water on and off. The RV pump turns on and off on demand using a built in pressure switch. I am using this along with Blumat drip rings, which the manufacturer recommends keeping pressure down to 15 psi .

Thank you for the detailed explanation. What was your reasoning for choosing the RV pump? That seems like a lot of power for a 20 gallon system, just wondering what your goal/thought was

The system you bought, was it this one? What is the issue with trying to add emitters? Are you referencing the fact that most drip irrigation systems are designed for faucets/spigots, and this one is a submersible pump?

IMG_8414.png
Screenshot_20240425_042815_Chrome.jpg

Here's a good starter kit. $35 Cdn, so about a buck fifty US lolol.

So everything but the pump, and I can get a strong submersible for 10$. I was looking at rain birds products but something threw me off. I think they had really weird phrasing that reminded me of Chinese knock off stuff. I’ll double check

So everything but the pump, and I can get a strong submersible for 10$. I was looking at rain birds products but something threw me off. I think they had really weird phrasing that reminded me of Chinese knock off stuff. I’ll double check
They very well could be chinese product but it's all we have at a reasonable price up here that is DIY friendly. Also I have used 1/4" tubing layed on the soil with perforations in it and that works too.

Whatever route you go, run the system into a tray for 15 minutes to figure out how much it delivers and math that down to a minute to minute basis so you know how much water you are delivering.

Thank you for the detailed explanation. What was your reasoning for choosing the RV pump? That seems like a lot of power for a 20 gallon system, just wondering what your goal/thought was
Good morning, I am familiar with the pump as I own a RV. It is a reliable pump and I like that it turns on automatically when a valve opens and turns itself off when valve is closed.

They very well could be chinese product but it's all we have at a reasonable price up here that is DIY friendly. Also I have used 1/4" tubing layed on the soil with perforations in it and that works too.

Whatever route you go, run the system into a tray for 15 minutes to figure out how much it delivers and math that down to a minute to minute basis so you know how much water you are delivering.

Originally I was going to buy the Vivosun kit but I think I’ll be much happier building my own. It’s much simpler than I realized, and I have 6 hardware stores within 2 miles of my house. I should be able to piece together a simple system while allowing plenty of space to modify and upgrade. It’ll likely be easier to establish an automated system if I build it myself from the ground up and this will give me the knowledge to apply it outdoors.

30$ USD at the corner hardware store and it came in a bucket

IMG_8421.jpeg

Now I just need the pump. Hardware store wanted 40$ for a tiny 80 gph submersible pump so I’m gonna shop that elsewhere

20240424_161137.jpg

I forgot that I cut it down. It's only about 14" tall now. Here are the 9 lines coming off it.

20240424_161220.jpg

You use a finishing nail held in vice grips to poke a pilot hole into the tube, then press one of these in and attach the line.

lol I just realized your manifold is a tube just bent over and secured. That made me laugh

Hardware store wanted 40$ for a tiny 80 gph submersible pump so I’m gonna shop that elsewhere

800 gph pump for 20$ smh
Nvm realized Im gonna run a 1/2” manifold and just barb connect 1/4” lines into it.

IMG_8426.png

lol I just realized your manifold is a tube just bent over and secured. That made me laugh
You could buy a end cap, or just use bailing wire...

:lot-o-toke:

You could buy a end cap, or just use bailing wire...

:lot-o-toke:

End cap came to my mind first. I like a little elegance in a design. It’s backfired on me many times 😂

IMG_8414.png
Sorry for the slow reply.
Yes this is the system I got. It works fine for two plants but if you want to add another emitter it is more complicated than necessary. I think I will be making a manifold like Gee and using 4-2gpm emitters per pot using standard 1/4" drip parts.

project sulfur spoon

Buckle in cuz you’re not gonna believe this bedtime story. Ok, yes you will- but you simply have to try this and report back…

Gee said it months ago, plus I’ve read it before elsewhere in my travels. Most likely you’ve read it too but like me- it got filed away... Anyways the quote goes… sulfur is mother of all taste & terps. But the obvious problem is… no way I’m doing that crap, it will jack up my soil mix, mess up the ph, give bad taste to the buds, etc etc.

So unfortunately I killed their mom but had second chance via clones PPOG #1 and #2. Not gonna bore you with pics, the plants were not exceptional in any way. This pheno was not super sticky and they all foxtailed even the later clone generations. Both were swickers, identical soil mix, identical feed water. Same, same!

About 2 weeks post flip they strutted out puffballs. PPOG #1 got a heaping teaspoon of micronized sulfur top dressed in one spot near the edge of smart pot and away from main stalk. Yep sulfur is hydrophobic but was sprayed with water to activate. Every few days I’d spray more water to activate the same sulfur spot. Every two weeks another heaping teaspoon was added to same spot and watered in. PPOG #2 did not receive any sulfur treatment. I applied sulfur about 6 times total, again only during flower after pistils popped.

All thru flower sniff test on the two twins were done. The sulfur treated PPOG #1 was loud, in your face, but for PPOG #2 I had to bury my face and inhale deeply to catch anything. Massive difference it’s like the two plants were not even related. Yet I know they are because it’s the only clones I cut…

Then later after harvest it dawned on me and this is perfect for you solo cup burners too. What’s that one amendment you want to load up on but are afraid to push? Here’s how you do it safely, it’s like a soil spike but kinda different too. Cut the bottom out of a solo cup, fill it with your soil mix and insert it into the container. Leave rim exposed about an inch above top of soil. Think of this as a corral, a side pocket even, heck call it what you will but it’s your soils play pen… you can add anything amendment wise that you want and you can control its uptake by watering it or by leaving it dry. IMHO a solo cup is small enough that it’s not going to change your overall soil or watering dynamics, you can water around it and leave the center dry yet it’s no big deal either way. The cup is tapered at the bottom so water will saturate around it and the plant doesn’t care.

Another way to accomplish same thing is to place your test amendment under a large piece of bark or a similar cover placed on the soils surface. You can water around the bark it to let the amendment remain mostly dry and deactivated or lift the bark and water in your supplement to active that secret sauce…

PPOG #1 and #2 have been curing and the difference is ginormous. The PPOG #1 sulfur treated plant is incredibly pungent but the PPOG #2 girl smells like hay… clones so exact same plant genetically, same feed water, same cure methods, same everything except for the sulfur…

Will someone please try the sulfur thing (on a pair of clones obviously) and share your findings?? It would be nice to know, yep I’m a little insane but maybe not totally insane….. Ah well that’s beside the point I guess…

Edit to add… I didn’t observe any deficiency or excess on the plant related to sulfur but then again I’m still newbie and not the best at reading weed leaves…. your mileage may vary. Love to hear your questions, comments or criticisms… I’m thinking of going hard on langbenite & sulfur top dress too but probs need to curb my enthusiasm a touch

Here’s pic of play pen I’m setting up for next grow, this one is a solo cup cut vertically and placed at edge of smart pot. Whoops sorry for green nite lite. Cheers!

013 your playpen idea is awesome!

I already use gypsum and my terps are very strong, so I'm not the right choice to try this but if anyone else wants to that doesn't already use any sulphur inputs please do! The floor is all yours😊. Well its all everyones floor anyways but you know what I mean, and 013, no pics are boring, spam us silly!👊.

Thanks for stepping up with this idea. Now my mind is going on what dangerous goodies can be safely added. Bloodmeal for 1 if you need it I would suspect, as roots likely won't get into the playpen.

Endless possibilities! Thanks @013 , this looks like a great tool.🙏

The magic of @420 at work😍

project sulfur spoon

Buckle in cuz you’re not gonna believe this bedtime story. Ok, yes you will- but you simply have to try this and report back…

Gee said it months ago, plus I’ve read it before elsewhere in my travels. Most likely you’ve read it too but like me- it got filed away... Anyways the quote goes… sulfur is mother of all taste & terps. But the obvious problem is… no way I’m doing that crap, it will jack up my soil mix, mess up the ph, give bad taste to the buds, etc etc.

So unfortunately I killed their mom but had second chance via clones PPOG #1 and #2. Not gonna bore you with pics, the plants were not exceptional in any way. This pheno was not super sticky and they all foxtailed even the later clone generations. Both were swickers, identical soil mix, identical feed water. Same, same!

About 2 weeks post flip they strutted out puffballs. PPOG #1 got a heaping teaspoon of micronized sulfur top dressed in one spot near the edge of smart pot and away from main stalk. Yep sulfur is hydrophobic but was sprayed with water to activate. Every few days I’d spray more water to activate the same sulfur spot. Every two weeks another heaping teaspoon was added to same spot and watered in. PPOG #2 did not receive any sulfur treatment. I applied sulfur about 6 times total, again only during flower after pistils popped.

All thru flower sniff test on the two twins were done. The sulfur treated PPOG #1 was loud, in your face, but for PPOG #2 I had to bury my face and inhale deeply to catch anything. Massive difference it’s like the two plants were not even related. Yet I know they are because it’s the only clones I cut…

Then later after harvest it dawned on me and this is perfect for you solo cup burners too. What’s that one amendment you want to load up on but are afraid to push? Here’s how you do it safely, it’s like a soil spike but kinda different too. Cut the bottom out of a solo cup, fill it with your soil mix and insert it into the container. Leave rim exposed about an inch above top of soil. Think of this as a corral, a side pocket even, heck call it what you will but it’s your soils play pen… you can add anything amendment wise that you want and you can control its uptake by watering it or by leaving it dry. IMHO a solo cup is small enough that it’s not going to change your overall soil or watering dynamics, you can water around it and leave the center dry yet it’s no big deal either way. The cup is tapered at the bottom so water will saturate around it and the plant doesn’t care.

Another way to accomplish same thing is to place your test amendment under a large piece of bark or a similar cover placed on the soils surface. You can water around the bark it to let the amendment remain mostly dry and deactivated or lift the bark and water in your supplement to active that secret sauce…

PPOG #1 and #2 have been curing and the difference is ginormous. The PPOG #1 sulfur treated plant is incredibly pungent but the PPOG #2 girl smells like hay… clones so exact same plant genetically, same feed water, same cure methods, same everything except for the sulfur…

Will someone please try the sulfur thing (on a pair of clones obviously) and share your findings?? It would be nice to know, yep I’m a little insane but maybe not totally insane….. Ah well that’s beside the point I guess…

Edit to add… I didn’t observe any deficiency or excess on the plant related to sulfur but then again I’m still newbie and not the best at reading weed leaves…. your mileage may vary. Love to hear your questions, comments or criticisms… I’m thinking of going hard on langbenite & sulfur top dress too but probs need to curb my enthusiasm a touch

Here’s pic of play pen I’m setting up for next grow, this one is a solo cup cut vertically and placed at edge of smart pot. Whoops sorry for green nite lite. Cheers!

Well 013, you got my interest. Is there a brand or specific type of sulphur you can suggest for purchase? I've never researched this but lo e a good experiment. All my plants are seed and different strains so nothing to measure but will give it a go anyways

Back
Top Bottom