The Hexapus's Garden

hey weaselcracker & Tead.While looking up grafting and talking with weasel,there was mention of what they called 'genetic drift' where as part of the grafted plant took on characteristic of the stock/root portion.So while it would be nice to have an mother plant with 2,3,4,ect,,,strains to get clones from there, is a chance that this genetic drift may take on more than it's pure genetic strain.One grower green 86 I think he was called,,said the buds were predominately the root stalk strain the buds of the grafted had characteristic of both strain.Grafted fruit trees have several different fruits but they are year round(comparing apple to oranges) But many well known nurseries will sell you special 'grafted tomatoe plants' with a root stock that complimants the upper grafted strain.
They will advose you to trim any growth below the grafted area.Otherwise it will have the characteristics of the root stock.,but above the grafted area you have fruit that was what they grafted for in the first place.Two strains becoming a third distinct strain.Otherwise why bother with grafting,why not just sell plants from the stock/root plant and the grafted plant, separately,ungrafted.?
One has to order these grafted plants in fall/winter and be on the waiting list,and buy them to get them in the spring.
I've heard that feminized seeds were a breeders secret(Dutch Passion I believe)before it became well known.That cossing 2 strains takes 4-5 generations to stabilize the new(mixed)strains.Who knows what grafting may take part in new & improve strains?

Hey Cruderalis.
Well, as I probably said a few times somewhere, I really don't know anything much about grafting. I'll know more in a few months if all goes well. I put a mini-update of the graft situation on my current journal last night.
The best advice I've got from grafting so far was from a fellow named UptheHoller, who said this-
dont think so much in terms of actual genetic transfers in a grafting situation. Its more of a growth habit physical changes within the plant. If you were to seed out the tops of 2 identically grafted specimens with the exact same pollen from the same plant... almost all of the pheno characteristics that you would find would be based upon the physical cross not upon the graft. For example if I grew out seed from my grafted apple trees I would not expect them to grow out as dwarfs with the cold hardiness of the root stock. They would grow out as standard varieties of the scion and the pollinators.

So it sounds like 'genetic transfer' would be the wrong concept, and it's more of a temporary physical influence. Cannabis being so short lived, it seems less likely that grafting would be as useful as it is for fruit trees. But who knows.
So far I can't see any change among the three grafted strains in veg. I can recognize them from their leaves at a glance.
I'm supposed to be working ATM so I will have to leave it at that and run off now. Falling behind on my 420 stuff again.. come over to my current journal though. :thumb:

That does sound right.That national geographic article with grafting over a dozen fruits to one tree.The one who grafted them did mention that one tree at certain times of the year looked dead on one half and alive and well on the other half.That's when he started "sculpturing"(to give it a name)his trees/grafts.So that according to each fruits seasonal change the whole tree looked alive.There was no mentioned of any fruits tasting like a mix of all of them,each individual fruit tasted like that particular fruit.
still in the process of relocating,but plan on grafting this year.
Also I'm curious to try something.,,,liquid skin.perhaps two narrow pieces of tape on each end,,say white or blue masking tape,since they are made to peel off fresh paint easy without takeing off the new paint(for painting stripes)Then put on liquid skin in the middle until the L.skin dries, then put on a stripe of the tape over the L.skin in the middle ,peel off the end tapes to finish coating the rest of the graft areas.leaving the middle tape to hold the graft for strength ,until the graft takes..Seems like it would help hold the plants natural fluids in,protecting it from mold and still let it breathe while it heals. Just a thought.

There is something called grafting tape. Sounds like what you're describing. Come to think of it I ordered a roll once. I wonder where it is.
My second grafted plant I wrapped some sort of nylon ribbon around it, leftover from Christmas wrapping. The graft did work out nicer using that. The first plant was just wrapped with pipe cleaners to hold it in place.

Is it anything like the Pony Express here in the desert southwest,,(a.k.a.the US Postal Service) Haven't been online in a while.How's that Panama/Malawi/Thai/Mama grafted plant doing ?

I got the grafting tape last week. Finally. :thumb:
The grafted plants are doing great. Going a little slowly because I put them through a fair amount of torture trying to get them evenly balanced. But the older grafted one is now in a ten gallon pot. I'll flower her in a 15 or 20 gallon- in a few more weeks. Waiting to clear out space in flowering, as usual.
I think I'll do an sativa graft when those plants get big enough. - Honduras, Panama, Golden Tiger, and Malawi. All from Ace breeders.

I used to use it to make hash out of crappy street weed, because I like hash much better than street weed.

Lol. Yep.

I carefully sucked up most of the rest of the liquid with a straw. I suppose I could have drank it. Didn't though, just spit it out elsewhere. Wasn't thirsty I guess.

LMAO. :rolleyes3

Thanks for a post that I can bookmark (✔) and use to show anyone who thinks it's hard to make hash. And for the chuckles.

The second Malawi goes down, after 95 days flowering. Filled the screen slightly better than the first one, though still a little thin.

image36399.jpg

image36400.jpg

image36401.jpg

Sleep time!!

:lot-o-toke: Thanks for stopping by, friends. ❤️
That’s awesome!

That's one of Weas's screens that fit on top of his bucket. I'm still planning on stealing his mounting technique. It's awesome.
You'll find more recent words from him on his newer thread (check his sig).... this is actually a pretty old thread of his.

Thats awesome but I dont have space for that mounting in my rooms however for the one I want to plant outside for sure.

~Mama Thai~

It's sort of confusing to me that no one else seems to grow this strain. Doesn't anyone like Thai weed anymore...? Anyway, I like it. It's a great smoke and a beautiful plant to grow.

IMG_651111.JPG
Little late but. Yes i do love the Thais! How was it? Can you Report ? Did you also had some Vietnamese Weed? i think these are exactly the same league. Actually i think Vietnam is the absolute strongest weed possible somehow. But like said crossing These two landraces can even improove it. They are like Brothers. When you go even further like papa neuginea it gets like too unreal, and i dont mean that in a positive way. hahaha, no its more like making you overwhelmed, it overloads. Also if you go over to burma, it gets to seditative. Hallucinogenity is peaking there in Vietnam and Thailand.

I haven’t grown the Mama Thai in a while. A combination of getting more of it jarred than I could smoke, and also the health of the strain was getting pretty weak. I’d been cloning and re-cloning it for quite a long time.
I think I may still have a seed or two from the original pack left in the freezer and sometime I’ll sprout more.
I really do like the smoke- it’s a nice happy trippy buzz. Definitely not one to smoke if you want to sleep in the next few hours.
A discussion came up on that Landrace Genetics thread where a couple people dredged up some comments from other forums saying that the strain isn’t pure Thai and is bred with Skunk#1. At first I argued against that- because the Skunk doesn’t show at all in the high- at least in the phenos I grew. I sort of hate that Skunk high and am oversensitive to most indica highs in general.
When you add everything up- short flowering times, large bud size, a susceptibility to mould... alas it does seem pretty obvious that it must have been cross-bred to make it more commercially acceptable.
But wtf.... Since I like the high of the stuff a lot- in terms of growing it I don’t see a good reason to worry whether it’s pure Thai or not- except that it bugs me on principle.

No I haven’t tried any Vietnamese weed. Good idea to put some of that on the shortlist though.
If you like that psychedelic type of buzz then Malawi is also very nice :thumb:

I haven’t grown the Mama Thai in a while. A combination of getting more of it jarred than I could smoke, and also the health of the strain was getting pretty weak. I’d been cloning and re-cloning it for quite a long time.
I think I may still have a seed or two from the original pack left in the freezer and sometime I’ll sprout more.
I really do like the smoke- it’s a nice happy trippy buzz. Definitely not one to smoke if you want to sleep in the next few hours.
A discussion came up on that Landrace Genetics thread where a couple people dredged up some comments from other forums saying that the strain isn’t pure Thai and is bred with Skunk#1. At first I argued against that- because the Skunk doesn’t show at all in the high- at least in the phenos I grew. I sort of hate that Skunk high and am oversensitive to most indica highs in general.
When you add everything up- short flowering times, large bud size, a susceptibility to mould... alas it does seem pretty obvious that it must have been cross-bred to make it more commercially acceptable.
But wtf.... Since I like the high of the stuff a lot- in terms of growing it I don’t see a good reason to worry whether it’s pure Thai or not- except that it bugs me on principle.

No I haven’t tried any Vietnamese weed. Good idea to put some of that on the shortlist though.
If you like that psychedelic type of buzz then Malawi is also very nice :thumb:

to weaselcracker:
I Once heard if you phenotye hunt, then you going into Trouble when wanna to further use the phenos you come up with. But if you try to just representatively recreate the strain as it was , it is more likely to stay stabilized forever/long time. That way you can hold genetics everytime. Only importent is, it has to be mostly a Landrace. Totally mixedup Genetics are ever into degradation every time you try to reproduce.
My idea of preserving genetics is to find two plants, a mother and a father wich are mostly Landraces, wich i know they will result in a good Plant, cause i already made that cross. Then i preserve this two Plants from time to time in Seedform separatly. Every Time i reproduce them , each Strain i try to not Pheno-hunt like mentioned before, no i try to hold on a representative Exemplare. So there might be nearly to no loss of Genes, and if it does, when i recombine These two lines there is still such a vigour(wich acures when there is a little outcrossing) every time, that i can hold on my desired Genetics. Cause this vigour may be lost if you wanna recreate it just by imbreeding.
I also heard it that when People gain this vigourosity by outcrossing; the official/sober way is to inbreed the two individual mum and dad up to 7 Generations before going into the outcross. Thats the way modern Food/Hybrids are done. Just we stoned/high breeders tend to never do that... I dont know if that is even contraproductive, cause not all is god in modern Food/Hybrids (....oh dear..poor inbread plants....) but at least it seems not totally wrong, right.
Thats just my atempt on preserving Genetics the short way: represantive reproducing of mom and dad separatly in seedform all say 5 years, depends on how good/ you can store seeds. You can test 5 exemplares every year, and look how many died, and trough that estimate how viable they still are. After your plants has grow up to 40 centimeter , and all was fine these exemlares seem to be viable. Sometimes old Seedplants die after growing 20 centimeters. So if only the half of all 5 Seeds are viable it may be time to reproduce them. If not , you dont need these plants..
Im not shure with Malawi . I want rather a Hallucinogen high than a psychedelic high. one tha calms me, cause psychedelic sounds more like a confusion , or Sens overload. If you know what i mean.

Yes i thought also the same about Mama Thai. it had good Review, but there was this Skunk Thema. I actually very Long didnt buy it cause of this Skunk thingy. then one day new growreports apeared, and they said it was mild hallucinogen. So i was happy with it. i dont care if it is out of this or that. or if it looks like Skunk. it is all about the Flash. Probably they selected it like you said or crosse Skunk in just in a tiny amount, i cant say too. have never been to a Tropical Country, i dont know so exact how These flowers have to look.
I have aimed to Mama Thai and the two Vietnams i once mentioned, aswell to something like Gypsy Nirvana Thai stick , if i can find them, will be hard. I aim so high as i can.
What also Comes to my mind sometimes Mama Thai has some phenos, wich totally go into the Thai side, but you didnt find them. Probably you should buy some fresh seeds of them

Back
Top Bottom