The Living Medicine Cabinet

DAY 10

WP_20151201_19_55_38_Pro.jpg

thought I`d stop by to say Hi and I see you are on to the next group of seeds. Busy Busy.

DAY 17 of 11/13

Still not much to see. Or do for that matter. So I have a few other plants going in the house. Started some more kitchen herbs next to the girls (and boy(s)?).

WP_20151208_08_23_18_Pro.jpg

WP_20151208_08_23_56_Pro.jpg

Oh and I almost forgot. I got a new fan. Hell ya its quieter than a fart out of my dead nana's ass. S&P TD Mixvent 100...couldn't be happier and will be buying from this manufacturer and series of fans again and again. :thumb:

The only downside (not really a downside) is that this fan has a two speed motor. You need to wire up the fan yourself and unless you have a dimmer/speed controller that accommodates the dual voltage motor, you don't have too much flexibility in speed. Rather, I should say that it makes the fan super sensitive to the slightest adjustment on the Ventech speed controller that I bought with my old fan. This happens because by default the fan is wired (its hard to explain if you cant see the wiring in person) to use the common wire and the highest voltage (120v) connection so it can be used with a dual pronged plug. The smaller models in the series are self-grounded so you don't need to use a grounded 3 prong cable. A dimmer or speed controller with 3 inputs would be ideal. I will have to find a suitable one in the future so I get more use out of the fan.

Day 21 From Seed

Temps have been in the 65-79 range. Probably a little lower than I or the plants would like. But under the little tent the RH is in the 70s at times. Dont know if that's bad or good really. It doesn't seem like it would hurt when they are this small.

Oh ya and I finally turned on the bloom frequency. They are starting to get big enough where the will probably appreciate more light. I dont know how long I should leave them in the tent...im thinking maybe until I repot them..

WP_20151212_09_52_30_Pro.jpg

WP_20151212_09_51_47_Pro.jpg

And just as a reminder. The Orient Express are in the round pots and the one Sour Blueberry is in the square pot.

They are looken like they like the 70% Hmd. I do the same thing uncover them on the transplant.

DAY 28 FROM SEED

Everything was just potted up into the 1 gallon Geo "Lites" this morning...apparently they are lighter construction so they are cheaper.
WP_20151219_14_42_53_Pro.jpg

My kitchen herbs are taking to life finally.
WP_20151219_14_45_27_Pro.jpg

I really want to put another light up. It looks lonely up there! :)

WP_20151219_14_48_52_Pro.jpg

Ive never seen my worms mass like this.

WP_20151219_14_58_49_Pro.jpg

DAY 36

Sour Blueberry - has been flowering since about mid last week.
WP_20151227_10_54_12_Pro.jpg

OE #1 - Was beginning to show pistils about 4 days ago. Though it was pretty minimal and I was on the edge of my seat waiting to see if it would actually end up being a male. Just got back from my Christmas travels last night and it is clearly a female. :)
WP_20151227_10_54_18_Pro.jpg

OE #2 - Has been flowering the longest.
WP_20151227_10_54_24_Pro.jpg

OE #3 You rascal you. I'm gonna have to pull you my friend. I know he's small still, but look at the structure of this plant. I really wish I had the space to pollinate one of my females with him.
WP_20151227_10_54_30_Pro.jpg

I'll be popping my last Afgooey seed later today. I'm going to put the germinated baby directly in OE #3's container. I've been thinking lately that the one gallon containers are short enough that starting my plants in even smaller pots may be stunting my seedlings. I see good results with starting seedlings in plastic party cups (which are much taller than what I have been using), but those are just a little shorter than the one gallon geo-pots. I figure whats the point...if after a re-pot the plant can only really establish outwards, I might as well just start seedlings in the containers I will be finishing them in. Especially if starting them in anything smaller might slow them down.

Sorry, more left overs to eat. Gotta Go. Merry ho Hi Ho to you and the Fam.

DAY 41 From Seed - Orient Express & Sour Blueberry

Excuse my terrible photos today. This will be a quick update. ;)

Not too much stretch on any of the girls yet.

This is Sour Blueberry upfront. I can tell she is a beefy one. We'll see how she fills out when force flowered. I beginning to see that another obstacle to overcome is finding strains that are not affected by little to no veg time.

WP_20160101_18_36_55_Pro.jpg

Orient Express staying short and stocky. I'm wondering if I got two short Yunnan phenos or just super stunted Vietnam Black sativa phenos. We shall see.

WP_20160101_18_39_33_Pro.jpg

DAY 1 Afgooey

A spot opened up and I like this Afgooey so damn much I popped my last fem seed. I had it in a damp paper towel for a couple days, and then two days ago I put the baby in the male OE's container. It just popped its head out this morning. I'm going to stop including germinating days in my day count. So this is day one. :)

WP_20160101_18_37_32_Pro.jpg

Quick question for anybody who is listening. I need your help because I want to get this right.

Long story short - my new fan died and I think my speed controller may have been the culprit. I got it replaced in a week! The retailer sent in a request to the manufacturer who didn't even ask questions, they just sent one straight out.

I got a new controller to go with the new fan. My question is this... Most wiring diagrams show a fan controller with just and in and an out for the live wire. This controller has a third wire (ground). Do I need to get a 14/3 or 16/3 cable with a three plung plug to run from the power source to the controller, or can I ground the controller to the fan which is insulated and does not need to be grounded.

Here's the controller.

WP_20160101_15_36_10_Pro.jpg

WP_20160101_15_36_18_Pro.jpg

I suppose if I were really lazy I could cap off the ground wire. I have a non conductive box to put it in...but seeing as the fan will be running all the time that seems...hazardous. What say ye people?

ground it somewhere in the system. just in case.

Thank you sir. I've already assembled it. Just grounded it with a 16/3 power cord. I don't trust the wiring in my old house, so I've got it running on a power strip with a fuse just in case any outlets are not actually grounded.

Quick Maintenance Notes

I gave the three mature plants their first drenches today. I was intending to brew a microbe tea, or an SST, but ended up drenching with 500ml RO water, a few drops of CalMag because of what I am paranoid is going to be an ongoing problem, a teaspoon of Fish Hydrolosate, and a splash of BSM. All diluted to about 1000ml. I'll water more in the morning probably. What I have found I like to do is water at night during lights out and get the top few inches good and wet, and then in the morning water with 1000ml more. It gives the soil time to really uptake the water and prevents the soil from becoming overly dry between waterings. It works for these one gallon containers at least. They don't need alot of water, considering they are small still.

I was lazy and didn't do a microbe tea, and figured a little ounce of prevention in the form of a pretty mild drench would best this round. I'm itching to brew again though so I will likely hit them with one in a few days. I've been a little all over the place, so I will return to a normal cycle of drench/tea one day followed by a watering.

Ok that's it for now. Been chomping down on that Afgooey and need to peel myself away from this screen.

they look good, but you have to water them properly to get bigger plants. soak and let dry.

DAY 52 Sour Blueberry & Orient Express

I have to say, I am getting to be mightily disappointed here. I thought these girls would stretch more. Its far enough along that I cannot foresee much height gain any more. Its funny to think I was actually worried they may get too big without a screen. I'm almost thinking I could flower from seed (11/13) with a 5 gallon container and get away with it in my space....

I'm starting to question whether this mini cycle I was planning may not be the best for my set up until I can get it dialed in. :helpsmilie:

Orient Express 1
WP_20160111_20_15_01_Pro.jpg

Orient Express 2
WP_20160111_20_15_14_Pro.jpg

Sour Blueberry
WP_20160111_20_15_23_Pro.jpg

DAY 11 Afgooey
This girl came out a bit deformed. I think the remains of the seed shell took part of a leaf with it when it fell.
WP_20160111_20_15_34_Pro.jpg

Small Maintenance Note
Two Days ago I did an SST drench and a topdressing of kelp meal and a couple cups of soil for each container (except Afgooey). I know I said I would be doing a microbe tea, but I have been a bit busy and neglectful of developing a proper feeding program...I need to start using a calendar for my personal time as well or I swear I will never get anything done. Here's to getting a bit organized and probably a little less of this :rollit:

they look good, but you have to water them properly to get bigger plants. soak and let dry.

Just gave them an extra drench for you :)

Ive been trying not to water them too much because the temps are low here...but I'm probably playing it too safe.

sweet. sorry if I came off aggressive, I'm just trying to help. you have to treat seedlings this way too so the roots search for water as the medium dries (which results in bigger plants). are you growing auots? if so a plant will gain most of its size and structure in the first 5-6 weeks (3 weeks till first flower then 2-3 weeks more of stretch). I really want to see what that 48 reflector can do. is it the 3 watt or 5 watt model? I know it can be difficult with leds and low temperatures, but you can do it :high-five:

Back
Top Bottom