The Living Medicine Cabinet

Hey CC,
Sorry I was so late getting to your journal but hey I am OLD and I have bed eyes what can I say.
I tried speed reading to get through it before "she who must be obeyed" got home from work but there was no way I was going to get it all in, so a brief overview of what I picked up along the way.
Loved the article about worm casting being nothing that insects will try to avoid, very interesting.
All in all I would have to say.....
very well done time to :party::allgood::tommy::theband::party:
Will be waiting for your final results
looking forward to your next adventure

Hey CC,
Sorry I was so late getting to your journal but hey I am OLD and I have bed eyes what can I say.
I tried speed reading to get through it before "she who must be obeyed" got home from work but there was no way I was going to get it all in, so a brief overview of what I picked up along the way.
Loved the article about worm casting being nothing that insects will try to avoid, very interesting.
All in all I would have to say.....
very well done time to :party::allgood::tommy::theband::party:
Will be waiting for your final results
looking forward to your next adventure

Welcome! I smoked a little test bud just now in honor of you guys. Gonna try to go to sleep.

Lets move legs.

Guys! I think I might have overlooked some amber thrichs in the past...C99 is a bit further along than I last estimated. Afgooey is fairly amber now too. Granted, shes my indIca so id like her to be a bit more stoney...may let her run a little longer than Cindy.

I think I might be cutting them down this week. I dont want to be hasty...but they look close...:)

Hey CC, all caught up now.

I think with heavy feedings and constantly topping your plants you stunted them pretty bad. Your soil around the roots didn't look to be draining well, causing your roots to ball up and not expand early. Seedlings/clones and early veg should not need any extra feedings if your soil is built well. I would cut back on the kelp in early veg, and add alfalfa in.

Plants are looking great, I don't mean to be a critic, and I love your approach to contained indoor gardening

Day 59

20151108-TGW_5337.jpg

That's a gorgeous photo, and so are the rest of the redemption pics set. Looks like you've damn near pulled this one off! :high-five:

Hey CC, all caught up now.

I think with heavy feedings and constantly topping your plants you stunted them pretty bad. Your soil around the roots didn't look to be draining well, causing your roots to ball up and not expand early. Seedlings/clones and early veg should not need any extra feedings if your soil is built well. I would cut back on the kelp in early veg, and add alfalfa in.

Plants are looking great, I don't mean to be a critic, and I love your approach to contained indoor gardening

I dont know if I stunted them through feeding. Maybe so. Though I did burn C99 with the coco water for sure. So Coco water is nixed now.

I do agree that my drenches can be modified. When I initially started incorporating the hydrolosate (at the 3rd drench I think?) I remember thinking I could be holding off until flower. And then also thinking that I may have this completely wrong. Maybe I should just be watering with super diluted Fish Fert in mid-late veg and only adding kelp during flower. Kelp has a higher K and lower N value afterall.

Honestly I think I will be hitting the young plants with only teas and straight water. No kelp or fish in them until late veg and flower. But with this flower from seed project coming up next I may just be holding off entirely they start to actually show sex and begin flowering.

Last thing - I only topped Cindy once and Afgooey twice. I was trying to scrog them afterall. Afgooey especially would have just grown into a single column if I let her.

Day 64

Not much left to say. The air is getting stiff here. The girls could be coming down any day. Gotta stay patient though. I'm on the one week out look plan right now. They aren't ready yet, so I'll give them another week and reevaluate.

By the way, how would you guys read most of the sugar leaves being about 40% amber but the calyxes are still all cloudy with only maybe 10% amber? I read it as they need a week. :)

20151114-TGW_5365.jpg

20151114-TGW_5360.jpg

20151114-TGW_5354.jpg

20151114-TGW_5348.jpg

20151114-TGW_5356.jpg

20151114-TGW_5357.jpg

Maintenance notes are short. I watered a little early yesterday. No Drench. I'll just be giving them water until the end. I'll likely water them again today. I only gave them half of what they usually get yesterday because it was early. They'll get the other half today in a little bit.

Thanks for watching guys.:smokin:

I usually wait for no new calyxes so no new growth and about 15% amber tric's but thats me.

SBG

TTFN

I usually wait for no new calyxes so no new growth and about 15% amber tric's but thats me.

SBG

TTFN

I have read that you should focus on trichomes on the calyx instead of just sugar leaves because those will always finish first and wont necessarily be a good representation of the rest of the plant...

Calyx growht is stalling out. They are throwing some new pistils here and there...but I think they will tend to do that until harvest or if they start to reveg. The latter being something that only the purest of sativas may be capable of...not hybrids like Cindy.

So do you not go by trichome color SBG?

From what I've read and seen, the sugar leaves are usually at least a week ahead of the calyxes. I agree that, especially with the sativas anyway, the new pistils never seem to stop coming. I tried leaving a Mama Thai sativa to turn amber as an experiment but it refused, was just starting to reveg. After a couple weeks of revegging and still no amber, but still plenty of new pistil growth, I chopped it.
Personally I no longer go by the trichomes, as they don't seem to say what I want them to say, lol. I just grow until the plant seems to be getting close then flush/water only for two or three weeks or whatever it takes till the plants are oozing ripeness. Perhaps not helpful info especially for a soil grower. I'm a fan of leaving them longer than i think I should leave them. When in doubt I harvest a bud. It's pretty obvious, once I start trimming, where they are at. I've chopped many a plant, started trimming, then regretted it. The times I've left plants till they were pretty well dead of old age, yellow leaves everywhere and very trashed looking, I was always very happy with the state of the buds. This may not apply as well to Indica strains though, which I don't grow much.

From what I've read and seen, the sugar leaves are usually at least a week ahead of the calyxes. I agree that, especially with the sativas anyway, the new pistils never seem to stop coming. I tried leaving a Mama Thai sativa to turn amber as an experiment but it refused, was just starting to reveg. After a couple weeks of revegging and still no amber, but still plenty of new pistil growth, I chopped it.
Personally I no longer go by the trichomes, as they don't seem to say what I want them to say, lol. I just grow until the plant seems to be getting close then flush/water only for two or three weeks or whatever it takes till the plants are oozing ripeness. Perhaps not helpful info especially for a soil grower. I'm a fan of leaving them longer than i think I should leave them. When in doubt I harvest a bud. It's pretty obvious, once I start trimming, where they are at. I've chopped many a plant, started trimming, then regretted it. The times I've left plants till they were pretty well dead of old age, yellow leaves everywhere and very trashed looking, I was always very happy with the state of the buds. This may not apply as well to Indica strains though, which I don't grow much.

Wish I was a little better at recognizing when they are ready outside of trichs.

Things I have noted though...

-flower color seems to have fully developed. No longer just green.

-final plump seems to have stopped.

-both plants' leaves yellowing.

I think they are close but just want to be safe and at least give them a few days.

I like the buds to have the consistency of very soft toffee or cotton candy if possible. Of course not all buds get to that point. If you trim up a tester bud and it's very green, crisp and firm, pale inside, and dry not sticky, it may not be ready yet or didn't develop well. Of course this is going to vary a lot by strain and sativas usually seem drier. I go by the same eye I use for fruit and berries. The fully ripe ones don't always look as perfect to glance at, but the full ripeness comes out just before they are over-ripe, by which time the plant is often looking like plants do in the fall- yellow or multicolored leaves and half dead. I realize this is a bit vague. It's kind of a matter of feel and experience. Something I'm still workin on. I would reccomend trimming up a sample though because I've often seen the light only after I trimmed a bit. And you can't go too wrong+ you'll have a sample to smoke :)

I've done a couple samples now. The one off of Cindy was fairly thick and wet. I baked the afgooey one a bit too long so it was dry and crumby. Didn't get a good idea from that one.

Ha those were relatively inconclusive. Maybe ill slow dry a Cindy bud right meow....

edit: first thing I noticed when I examined the sample cindy bud (it is a pretty small sub node flower) that this one didn't have any amber on it. I am thinking my initial thought to harvest the biggest flowers first may have been spot on. There seems to be enough variation that a selective harvest would be best...but still I will be giving them both more time and seeing where that gets me. I may at the very least harvest the big wonky cindy bud first since that appears to be the one that is closest. Decisions decisions.

The pictures are excellent CC, and the ladies stunning :circle-of-love: I love the tall chunky girl.

Doesn't these last weeks before harvest kinda make you feel like a child that waits for Christmas eve to open the presents??

:passitleft:

Back
Top Bottom