The VipersNest Continuous

Transferring Seedmadness Poll #2 into thread for future reference ;)

More room on each page but save the data

viper_madness_2.JPG

good one soniq, i like the poll being gone.

one thing about the light movers, someone asked what are the drawbacks, and pretty much everyone said none. I want to get one and have thought about it, but I dont have one yet so correct me if you think i'm wrong, but there are some drawbacks.

1) moving parts, especially heavy ones with glass and cords adds a level of complexity that increases chance of some kind of failure. if they stop moving for some reason, or something wiggles loose, and you dont catch it quickly, stuff can be lost.

2) venting becomes harder if you plan on using ducting since your light is moving 6 feet you'll need 6 feet of slack on both sides and some way to hold it up.

3) they use electricity and make noise, not much of either, but they do do both.

4)they cost money to buy and money to run.

are they still worth it? without using one i think so, i'm gonna get one. everyone else says great things.

i just thought i'd throw that out there. everything has advantages an disadvantages.

one thing about the light movers, someone asked what are the drawbacks, and pretty much everyone said none. I want to get one and have thought about it, but I dont have one yet so correct me if you think i'm wrong, but there are some drawbacks.

1) moving parts, especially heavy ones with glass and cords adds a level of complexity that increases chance of some kind of failure. if they stop moving for some reason, or something wiggles loose, and you dont catch it quickly, stuff can be lost.

2) venting becomes harder if you plan on using ducting since your light is moving 6 feet you'll need 6 feet of slack on both sides and some way to hold it up.

3) they use electricity and make noise, not much of either, but they do do both.

are they still worth it? without using one i think so, i'm gonna get one. everyone else says great things.

i just thought i'd throw that out there. everything has advantages an disadvantages.

1) True - you do leave the lower than you would a light otherwise, so if you unplug the cord by accident, it could. The design is very simple on the lighrail 3.5 though, so I can't see how anything could fail unless it were to catch on something nearby.

2) True again... but not too hard to overcome. Still, I can't use a vented light in my tiny closet for this reason while it's on a mover - there would be no travel before the vents hit the ends.

3) Well, true, and false at least on the lightrail... only 8 watts, and mine is silent. Other models I'm sure make noise.

4) $250 for the lightrail 3.5 is less than another light, and almost as effective. guess it could wear out after a few years... but still, really simple design and almost no power draw compared to adding a light, which would seem to be the other option if you need to cover more grow space.

It's hard for me to think about growing with out one now that I've used it - makes up for a cheap hood, and lets you get closer to the plants, while also covering more area for a double efficiency gain... you'd think I was selling them by the way I keep going on! :ganjamon:

I guess I should stop and see what Pit thinks...

Ill make this simple.
I would never get coverages w/o them....thats a fact.
8 watts please.....thats reaching as calling that a significant usage
If hung properly they will never come down.
Ducting isnt an issue, I just havent needed it to be done.
There isnt 1 single true negative...they are all positive..
There are 2 kinds of people....those who want them and those who have them.

Ill make this simple.
I would never get coverages w/o them....thats a fact.
8 watts please.....thats reaching as calling that a significant usage
If hung properly they will never come down.
Ducting isnt an issue, I just havent needed it to be done.
There isnt 1 single true negative...they are all positive..

yeah, i agree, but thats just for you. different people have different situations and climates and will experience different issues. i'm going to mount one in my tent and not venting it isn't an option for me. also, who knows what might happen. adding complexity to anything makes more things that can go wrong. . . maybe it's not your fault, maybe the motor buns out or a piece of dirt gets into a bearing or something. . . if a failure occurs, you could possibly lose yield.

i think its helpful to see the obstacles as well as the benefits when trying to make plans. and right now, i plan.

yeah, i agree, but thats just for you. different people have different situations and climates and will experience different issues. i'm going to mount one in my tent and not venting it isn't an option for me. also, who knows what might happen. adding complexity to anything makes more things that can go wrong. . . maybe it's not your fault, maybe the motor buns out or a piece of dirt gets into a bearing or something. . . if a failure occurs, you could possibly lose yield.

i think its helpful to see the obstacles as well as the benefits when trying to make plans. and right now, i plan.

You do have a point. Though I think the advantages far outweigh the very slight disadvantages. I'm in the catagory of people who want one.

I see your point...but consider this...these things are stone ass reliable. The odds of that failing and causing a crop failure...not likely. Short off it falling down which wont happen but I guess anything is possible. Im big in hydro and ALWAYS have extra pumps on hand, its not if they fail its a matter of when they fail. I dont keep an extra Lightrail motor on hand but they are lifetime. so I would be inop for 3 days but I have light. The small negative possibilities are a no brainer. Our points have been made.

If you don't use your light mover to extend your light footprint then you wouldn't lose yield. In Pitvipers case getting another motor is easy and would only take a day or 2, plus you could manually move the lights till the motor came. The only way your light is going to fall is if you attached it wrong or your hanging from it.

No problem....I misunderstood you. I never measured the gap but its aprox 14"
1_9_1.jpg

Hey Pit, been in the backround for a while and I just checked in and saw the distance between your reflectors. I finally got my mover on my 1k about a month ago but eventually I will be going in to a 2 mover set up. My reflector is perpendicular (opposite from yours) so alot of my coverage is directed longwise the same way of the light rail and I get a good 4x8 coverage. Do you think you can get some more coverage if you widen them out a little. Just trying to get some feedback cause I over think everything and I was thinking about placing my rails approx 4-5 feet from each other (the gap between the rails which would make the reflectors approx 2-3 feet apart) to cover an 8-9 foot width of a garden. I figured I should get at least a foot to a foot and a half light coverage outside the edge of the reflectors. What do you think?

Hey Pit,

How many plants do you have left now and what's your total weight up to???

Keep Growin' Strong Bro...

H2OGanjaFarmr :ganjamon:

good question!!And nice pull so far..Always a fan of yours PIT. Ups and Downs now that makes a great gowwer!!:goodjob::ganjamon:

Pit, I think you summed it up simply by stating: "There are two kinds of people....Those who want them and those who have them"-PitViper

I myself am saving my dough to buy 2 lightrail 3.5's. After growing years ago using a rotating mover I have seen 1st hand the advantages of using a in-line lightrail. The rotating sun setter was great and I never had a problem but there were others thru faulty setup that had problems with this type, these obstacles are simple to overcome especially with a straight line mover such as the lightrail.

Well... I've ordered one so that puts me as a third kind of person... those who will soon have them... LOL.

Question... :) I have another grow in an attic where the ceiling is pitched with the roof... with your experience installing them would they install on a sideways angle?

If you don't use your light mover to extend your light footprint then you wouldn't lose yield. In Pitvipers case getting another motor is easy and would only take a day or 2, plus you could manually move the lights till the motor came. The only way your light is going to fall is if you attached it wrong or your hanging from it.

I wouldnt even bother moving it. I would raise the lamp and put in the center of the row. 2 days for a motor and Im good, in fact I could borrow one from my local supply guy until It comes in. I wouldnt be down 2 hrs including travel time. Again...this is a worst case scenario.

Hey Pit,

How many plants do you have left now and what's your total weight up to???

Keep Growin' Strong Bro...

I shudder to answer that one....the plants are chopped and/dried and weighed....just over 2lbs. we have had major issues this grow....I look at it this way. If you never problems you will never learn. Ive had problems on every grow to some degree. I dont know too many growers that can run a "set and forget" grow. Maybe on a commercial basis but even then I doubt it.

Hey Pit, been in the backround for a while and I just checked in and saw the distance between your reflectors. I finally got my mover on my 1k about a month ago but eventually I will be going in to a 2 mover set up. My reflector is perpendicular (opposite from yours) so alot of my coverage is directed longwise the same way of the light rail and I get a good 4x8 coverage. Do you think you can get some more coverage if you widen them out a little. Just trying to get some feedback cause I over think everything and I was thinking about placing my rails approx 4-5 feet from each other (the gap between the rails which would make the reflectors approx 2-3 feet apart) to cover an 8-9 foot width of a garden. I figured I should get at least a foot to a foot and a half light coverage outside the edge of the reflectors. What do you think?

yes you could move them out. I was restricted due to a closet that was too close.

Back
Top Bottom