Touching your plants, when to wear gloves?

TryingHigh

Quick question: During veg, I've been trimming, training, etc with bare hands. I bought disposable food safe gloves to wear - thinking more about flowering. In general - should you wait until things get sticky - or be wearing gloves all the time? Gloves during flowering? Or gloves really only for harvest/trimming/drying?

What is the common consensus for personal use micro grow?

What is the "food safety guidelines" for touching plants grown indoors? (what are the "big guys" rules?)

I wash and sanitize my hands anytime I go in my grows, wether I plan on touching the girls or not. Seems I always end up touching them lol. I only wear gloves during harvest so my fingers dont get sticky.

Everyone is different. No set rules, just make sure your hands are clean before. And, right after. That way you minimize chances of bringing anything in. And, taking scents/oils out.

Some folks use sap off soap to clean there hands after if they don't use gloves.

Good luck.

I'm in flower, I will be using my gloves if I need to defoliate, move leaves to water etc. When I was referring to "rules", I was referring to the industries coming under regulation (like in Canada) in regards to product handling during growth. I see the videos of the large indoor macro grows and they are wearing hair nets, masks and gloves. I realize it is a bit like my own "kitchen" when it comes to washing my hands -- it is a good idea -- and will make me mindful when tending to the tent.

When I brew beer or wine, I keep pretty strict contamination cleanliness.

Since I'm growing in soil, with a desire to have a complex flora of microbes in the soil - wondering if I should be following rules / guidelines there.

Most commercial grow operations use PPE or personal protective equipment for all employees or people in the grow areas. They'll all be in gloves, hairnets, and everything else you see on tv or the media. For obvious reasons.

You'd be surprised at how many people who have pollen allergies that have to wear additional PPE or they break out and or have breathing issues. This is areas where there are thousands of plants in veg and flower. More problematic in flower and harvest/trim/cure areas for those people.

It's not optional in that environment, just SOP.

The home grower/hobbyist is more of a choice. Or a responsibility/habit if you want to make it that way. Personally, only time I'm wearing gloves is during harvest and when I'm handling bud.

SOS is to a gardener what gunk soap is to a mechanic. I like when I see my mechanic getting out of the inside of my car with gloves on. Underneath, my car, not so much.

Just my two cents...

I guess you don't want to hear that I like to meditate in my tent and actually spend a lot of time in it and near it in intimate evening attire. Surely no one else is that crazy, eh? Now, if I was manufacturing for the public... I would probably be properly dressed, and hairnets are not a bad idea. But again, this is why bud washing has become popular at the end too, to get all that normal household lint, hair, pet dander and junk out of there... I don't exactly live in a lab.

I guess you don't want to hear that I like to meditate in my tent and actually spend a lot of time in it and near it in intimate evening attire. Surely no one else is that crazy, eh? Now, if I was manufacturing for the public... I would probably be properly dressed, and hairnets are not a bad idea. But again, this is why bud washing has become popular at the end too, to get all that normal household lint, hair, pet dander and junk out of there... I don't exactly live in a lab.
Pics or it didn't happen ....... Lmfao

I do my best to just not touch buds. I only touch the stems, even during harvest. This is my personal grow so I don't mind having a bit of stem at the end. The only time my fingers touch the bud is after drying and getting ready to roll one. My wife trims for a local Med grower and is suited up though. She saves her gloves and brings them to me where I strip the res off and get the finger hash. :slide:

Quick question: During veg, I've been trimming, training, etc with bare hands. I bought disposable food safe gloves to wear - thinking more about flowering. In general - should you wait until things get sticky - or be wearing gloves all the time? Gloves during flowering? Or gloves really only for harvest/trimming/drying?

What is the common consensus for personal use micro grow?

What is the "food safety guidelines" for touching plants grown indoors? (what are the "big guys" rules?)
I just make sure I wash my hands before I touch my veg. Or flower girl's. I never have been one to throw latex over my feelers when tending to my plants. I feel latex and the dust on some gloves would be more contaminating, and possibly than clean bare skin..

Plus I LOVE The smell of my fingers after a light defoliation, or squeezing of a bud at week 7 of Flower!! The smell stays on my fingers for hours. Wi a glove the smell is gone when disposed of. :yummy::bong::peace:

If you do wear gloves when you trim your harvest, use
the cheap vinyl ones- the goo doesn't stick to them, so it stays on the weed
where it belongs...you still get the scissor hash, but no finger hash...

I only wear them in trim jail...

I wash my hands before and after entering if you have a pet in household sweep/ vacuum de hair and dust then i change my clothes so no extra animal hair drifts in buds/ flower tent or room. I need physical contact with said buds otherwise I snip a tip of a finger glove or even worse a bud, or my own Finger tip. The canopy blocks much of what u chop I found.

What kind of gloves do you guys use? I am allergic to latex..

nitrile gloves should be safe for you. nitrile is super common.

i've trimmed personal grows for a long time. never thought of or wanted to use gloves. i love the sticky. i mostly only touch stems but i still get sticky fingers. like god intended!

my bud across town flipped out a bit when i reached into one of his many jars and pulled out some buds. they were for me, but he insisted that i used chop sticks to pull out the buds. he's a bit neater than me. if he was a roommate, the house would look like a maid just got finished cleaning up. as is, it doesn't.

sticky is not icky!

Back
Top Bottom