Trimming before flowering?

Well guys.... it has been a long day of reading as much info as I could on this subject... as was stated above there sure seems to be alot of arguement over this issue. I looked at plant encyclepidias, gardening sites, pot sites, grow journals, etc and it seems the community is 50/50 split. What I did notice is it is much more accepted in other forms of horticulture.

Now I want you to understand that I am the kind of guy that needs to know how soming works, I honestly refused to fly in a plane till I knew what forces (lift etc.) kept the plane from falling from the sky.

When it came to this subject I really thought I had the knowledge to form an opinion and stick with it, but I see now that there were many things I did not consider when forming this descision. I have to thank you guys on this thread for challenging my assumptions and forcing me to do some good research.

I will say that in all my looking around there is some incredible yeilds being pulled in using this technique. I saw no side by side studies but there is deffinately some creedance to the whole idea. Although this began to sway my opinion I still needed some reason and science to back it up.... I think I may have found a couple of answers to help understand the results.

First off I will adrees the stance of Fractal Displacement. A plant is a fractal, it maintains the same structure below the soil as it does above the soil. It maintains this balance internally. If you cut half a tree down it will shut down half of it's root system since it no longer needs it and it will focus all of it's energy/nutrients to repairing the fractal balance... growing back what it has lost. As the tree grows more it then either begins using the dormant roots or grows new ones to replace them. Now in nature this would not mean much... but indoors where we have full control over the factors of light and nutrients this can be used for our benefit.
If I cut leaves off of my plant, the plant wants to replace that growth and durring a veg state it will use the nitrogen rich soil to produce more leaves, but when it happens in a flowering stage it is in a P +K rich soil and it replaces that mass with flowers since that is the nutrient it has an abundace of. On that same note it does also produce more leaves using it's limited suply of nitrogen. Hence by removing leaves the plant is replacing the mass with flowers. Does this make sense?... It seems to...

Now there is also the subject of leaves producing energy and resperation.
The function of the leaf is to breath in Co2, combine that with cloryphil to produce a carbohydrate (sugar energy) and exhale oxygen. So the leafs main job is giving the plant it's power. The plant sprends it's power in many ways but also in the transportation of fluids and nutrients. By removing the fan leaves I can see how the plant would have far less work to do therfore requiring less energy. The shaded leaves would the recieve enough extra light to fully replace the energy that was lost by the fan leaves. Once again this seems to make sense.... It would then allow the leaves nearest the bud to provide direct energy without the cost to transport that energy from a large leaf.

Suddenly it starts to look feasible... Mr."that would be Impossible" might have to eat a little pride here. :)

Lastly I want to chat about the fact that taking the leaves seems to increase the amount of budsites. This also does't seem to complicated. When you cut a branch it grows two more, so cutting off a leave could certainly force the plant to grow or develop another shute/bud site.

Well that is the end of my post. This experience has been eye opening and I am really looking forward to trying this. I keep great controls in my room and will be able to tell if it is beneficial. I will keep you informed via a jounal.

Thanx guys for pushing me to gain more knowledge.

Jonny

Stiletto, I commend you on your research and willingness to learn about something that seems so off the norm. Further, the manner in which you've deduced the possibilities of benefit and why there could be such benefit can only be understood with an open mind. Or at least a desire for the truth with an ability to use ones own power of reason. There are shit loads of growers on other forums that flatly refuse to accept even the slightest possibilities from which you are so easily understanding. My hat is off to you.

In the end, after all, who doesn't like their girls stripped? (pun intended) Welcome to the world of the naked lady.

My two pence worth based on limited experience but a recent observation which may provide some explanation towards why the removal of the larger fan leaves doesn't cause hugely negative consequences for the plant and may provide benefits:

I gave my plant her first strip in veg at the weekend, removing about 5 or 6 very large fan leaves. Four days later the plant had re-leafed a bit and had a much greater number of smaller leaves (probably double or three times the original number of fans), all of which were exposed to light. More small leaves will always have a much greater surface area than a few large leaves, so whilst removing the larger leaves may knock the plant slightly for a day or two, the net result has been not only better light penetration into the plant but also a larger leaf surface area for photosynthesis than if the large fans were left in place and allowed to keep growing.

There is soooo much contraversy of this topic its unreal. Jorge Cervantes says never ever trim any leaf that is not diseased or less than 1/2 dead. On the other hand, dude I steady trim all through weeks 5-8+. There is an acceptable level of stress that will influence the production of additional trichs. But any sooner that 5 weeks the plant will just use its energy to replace those lost fan leaves, thus taking away from the early floral formation. Its very important to provide the nessecary stress-free period of floral development before worrying about trich development. You cant build a brickwall if all you care about is the mortar.

As far as when to tell what week you count as first flowering is (as a guideline some strains are different) 1-2 weeks after pre-flowering. Which by then I would assume 12/12 has been introduced. Plants will pre-flower in the veg stage around the 4th week. Some are stubborn, for those give 24-48 hrs dark then resume a 12/12.

cool then spareingly and use hydrogen peroxide and a q tip and where you trim put a drop on the wound.[ this prevents viruses and bacterias from harming your plants.]

cool then spareingly and use hydrogen peroxide and a q tip and where you trim put a drop on the wound.[ this prevents viruses and bacterias from harming your plants.]

I take hundreds and hundreds of leaves at a time. I don't have the time to q tip everything and have had no issues whatsoever.

Definitely defoliate!

Just remember, anytime you remove more than 25% of the leaves on a plant that it will go into a recovery mode that lasts 4-7 days where there will be little growth - but after that is over, the growth rate speeds up very quickly and more than makes up for those few days.

In addition, take the fan leaves only after the secondary growth (on top of the fan leaves, where the flowers sprout) is at least 1/2" long before removing the fan leaf underneath it. That secondary growth is where the plant develops its flowers from, and the fan leaves contribute to root and overall trunk growth & health.

Every grow is different, what works for one may not work for another. Defoliation causes stress to plants which can slow growth....fact. Better light penetration will cause high quality and more abundant growth.....fact. How effective defoliation is depends on way too many variables. It is only my first grow but I prefer light defoliation over the entire veg cycle. By the end of veg the plants are accustom to this and I have seen absolutely no growth change after defoliating in later stages because of it.

not many viruses or other harmfull bios to the mary jane happen to survive in nevada. and alot of experianced growers have good house keeping practices and hyginic practices and even alot of strains are resistant. i have no issues as i keep good and clean but other areas around the world and new growers should have an understanding of this and h202 is a preventative measure for the less knowledgeble growers to use or be aware of. cause the area they live in may well be one that has problems. the f wilt microb is the most dangerous to mj as it was developed to target mj and kill it . man made goverment aholes. and exists all over the place and still being used by other governments today. it exists already in many of the fruits and vegies we eat today and is not harmfull to us or any other plants. but deadly to mj. and almost every imported crops have it in it already. there is no cure for it. once a plant has it it will die.

your an experianced grower so true in what you say. newbie growers should learn the plant first is my opinion. as it is the best way to know your stuff. using advanced techniques like you mention can cause so many problems for a new grower it can be dificult to help them as everyone who done their first crop on their own knows this. there is alot of products out there and alot of techniques too it can be very confusing and stressfull for a new grower to actually learn from their first crop.
best way is to let your plant teach you and do little to them. just post pics for the experts to see and in most cases they are doing fine. i have seen lots of new growers here asking questions doing their first grow and with good pics they are for the most part doing just fine and asking all the right questions. and getting good advice from the 420 crew. but all it takes is 1 mistake and they are in trouble with multiple issues. once they know the entire cycle of thier first crop sharing and watching here they will learn enough to really know their stuff and what works for them. and the next crop will be way better with no mistakes.

very true gairbud. That's also exactly what I suggest in my defoliation thread. Know your shit first!

I gotta say I have started defoliation and for indoor growth it is in my very humble opinion top notch I try to do it quite aggressive as after the resting period but after that the growth goes crazy. on another note the type of light may also be a key factor in considering defoliation... An example is the grow im currently working on where there is a CFL light in use throughout the entire growth both flowering and vegetative growth as the light penetration is quite low in comparison to other lights defoliation is key in order to increase the yield and light getting towards the bud sites.. So there are allot of factors to consider when thinking about defoliation, and I for one am a great supporter of it. Also some props to Bassman as he is one of the key inspirational sources for my defoliation career as short as it may be!

Anyway only my two cents happy growing and cutting!

also on a side note cant you cook with the leaves or make like hash if you get allot?

The 420 members have spoken and i have made my decision

Photo_on_2012-12-24_at_19_08_4.jpg
Photo_on_2012-12-24_at_19_08_2.jpg

Day 21 left the fan leaves that were really small and to close to the flowers.

All you guys were a big help thanks for the info

Tomatofarmer, I assume when you say day 21 you mean of flowering period. If that is the case, I think you overdid it. Now I could be wrong, but as I was taught, we take all fan leaves that are not attached to a new bud site or node. New sites & nodes need to make use of the fan leaf until they get some growth, then we remove them (us defoliators I mean). It just looks like you have a lot of new nodes that have also been stripped of corresponding fan leaves. While the top flowering spots look fine.

It also looks like these two plants probably didnt get prepared in veg by stripping also. The would normally be bushier rather than lanky (assuming indica dominant) if they had been prepared in veg. And they look too tall to be 21 days of veg.

I hope these two girls come back with a vengeance. And they certainly may. I just worry it was too much at wrong locations. I hope I'm wrong though and they come back even more than I am used to seeing.

In any case, you'll probably know for sure in 7-10 days.

Yes my first defoliation was this day 21 in flowering. giving that this is my first grow and the research and this topic alone, i felt i should go for it. And the full defoliation is what i went with

I am expecting it to start recovering soon. Since the trim the flower sites and sweet leaves are flourishing. i feed them right after the cut (may have helped)

I was extremely careful doing this, I dont really like hurting my girls. This was my first time at this so i hope i didnt do to much. The plants are all crooked and growing "unsymmetrically" because at my late in veg attempt at some LST techniques.

As for wrong locations, i really have done my research and looked at my plants with great detail i may not understand what you mean, but than again you have way more knowledge and experience than me and i learn new things about this growing plants thing everyday.

Im hoping for the best, I will post updated pics in a few days, your input on the updated pics would be appreciated (as with any help, advice, or criticism from this website)

Back
Top Bottom