Urban Achievers Inner City Seeds of Promise

Looking great urb!! So cool how the one girl has like a natural supercrop already :) watch that kink turn into a big ol .
Can you suggest a good DLSR for a begginer? Don't want to break the bank, yet lol. Always wanted to get into photography just never had the opportunity. You can send a pm if you want, although others may be wondering too. Thanks! Wishing you a great day.

-dabber

Looking great urb!! So cool how the one girl has like a natural supercrop already :) watch that kink turn into a big ol .
Can you suggest a good DLSR for a begginer? Don't want to break the bank, yet lol. Always wanted to get into photography just never had the opportunity. You can send a pm if you want, although others may be wondering too. Thanks! Wishing you a great day.

-dabber
All depends on ur budget. Each price range has a top 2 or 3. And also depends on ur specific needs. I walked into best buy and grilled the dude for 30 mins.

-dabber

Happy to give you some tips on finding an entry level dslr. First thing to know is that the lenses are the important parts. The basic cameras these days have a ton of great features and the sensors are amazing. The first thing you want to do is set a budget and stick to it. You can find these entey level cameras used for very reasonable prices. The other thing you want to do is determine which brand you want to get into, the two big ones are Canon and Nikon, but other options exist. No huge differences. I would go to a local best buy and pick them up, get a feel for them in your hand, and play around with them. Choose something that feels right for you. You cant go wrong with Canon, Nikon, or any of the other major brands.

Once you have a budget and have a general feel for what camera fits your hand best, decide what you are looking to take pictures of. This will dictate what lenses you will use. When buying an entry level dslr they come with "kit" lenses. Generally I recommend sticking with that until you get good with it then maybe expand with a lens that fits your most common subject (for me the macro lens made sense since I like bugs and flowers). If you are on a budget then just get the basic kit. You will have pretty much all you need in that to get started and take WAY better pictures than your smart phone.

Now again, I bet you can find a great one used, just be wary if how many accuations they have (times the shutter was triggered) but you can save a lot of money. Anyway here are a few I found just to give you a ballpark:

Canon T6 2 lens bundle at Costco $549US (that could last you years with no other purchases or lenses), Nikon has an equivent package.

Same cameras of both brands, just 1 basic lens, $459CDN ($374US) at best buy. These will get you going at least to do a bit of searching. Ballpark prices. Find a good sale and you can get a good kit for a reasonable price.

Amazon has some sick deals for bundles that look like they include multipke lenses and filters and a tripod for $549US but that is overkill lol.

Dial back the models. My photos were taken with a Canon T1i. Thats old lol. The above cameras are the latest model. Go back to say a Canon T5, or Nike D3200, you get the idea. $299 to $399 on amazon.

Sneak over to Agemons journal and ask him for some input as well.

I was looking at a Canon 80d I believe it was. Or a 7d ( much more expensive) and yes finding a good used one is a great option. I've looked into that. But as mentioned. U MUST be aware of the actuations taken. Some used ones I seen are like 14000. Holy fuck. Cameras only been out a year or something. Lol.

I have the Nikon D7100 and love it. It wasn't cheap though so might not be a great starter.

I was looking at a Canon 80d I believe it was. Or a 7d ( much more expensive) and yes finding a good used one is a great option. I've looked into that. But as mentioned. U MUST be aware of the actuations taken. Some used ones I seen are like 14000. Holy fuck. Cameras only been out a year or something. Lol.

Yeah some of the higher end models are great if you take action shots, faster frames per second, few other goodies. A good lens is key. A bad lens on a good camera is a bummer, but a good lens on a beginner body is still nice. Nice cameras by the way guys, like the Nikons as well.

Bonus material! Lets play name that pest. (I have no clue what they are). Took a shot of some stunted peppers. Then noticed some guests on the flower of the pepper plants.

IMG_006098.JPG

IMG_005989.JPG

IMG_006197.JPG

Looks like aphids for sure. Lady bugs LOVE aphids.
I used lady bugs on my first grow, I didn't have any bug I don't believe but them lady bugs are some good soldiers lol, they search every inch of your plant lol. I liked having them though lol.✌️

Is that some kind of ahpid maybe? Not really sure, but that would be my best guess.

Mine too.

Looks like aphids for sure. Lady bugs LOVE aphids.

I used lady bugs on my first grow, I didn't have any bug I don't believe but them lady bugs are some good soldiers lol, they search every inch of your plant lol. I liked having them though lol.✌️

We had a bad case of ants in the planter and this particular hot pepper. They were farming/protecting these things. So I know ants do that with aphids, I would imagine thats what they are. Good thing we didnt bring that plant inside with the colder weather upon us.

We had a bad case of ants in the planter and this particular hot pepper. They were farming/protecting these things. So I know ants do that with aphids, I would imagine thats what they are. Good thing we didnt bring that plant inside with the colder weather upon us.
Actually the aphids farm the ants!!! They excrete this little sweet brown goo and then they feast!
It's like the bar in American Werewolf in Paris!!!!

Creepy little beasties

Found out my strawberries in the greenhouse have the the bud rot. Was gonna bring them in for winter.... not so much now haha

I had too many journals running, still do lol, and had to back out of a few to keep up and find a balance. I think I have done enough grow research now to stumble along with help from those here. Took a few pulls with the morning coffee and reflected:

So many cool growing methods, so many talented and passionate folks doing it, not to mention all the post harvest options people are honing. I cant help to think of something I was once told by a wise man, "Kung fu is not just martial arts, kung fu is any skill or expertise gained through hard work and dedication over a long time."

The same qualities are found in any long term success. Kung Fu, Marines, Athlete, or grower of fine cannabis.
Discipline
Patience
Repetition
Reflection and insight
Dedication/consistency
Respecting the past history
Flexibility/adaptability
Responsibility

This hobby, at this forum and probably others, is a collection of kung fu practicioners (and some masters) in various disciplines. In addition the legal or more open aspect of this hobby at this point of time means its really in its social infancy too.

:passitleft:
wake and bake insight lol

ps: I watered the plants from the bottom last night with compost tea. Poured tea into saucer and let them soak up whatever the soil/pot wanted to hold on to. Dumped out what they didnt take after 10/15 minutes.

Group shot. I suspect the stunted white widow in the middle is going to need some faith. I believe she will fight back and be a stronger plant in the end and provide some real quality medicine. You dont just give up on something because it doesnt meet your expectations. It was too delicate to bonsai in my opinion and she was just topped up with soil and fed with a bit of ACT.

The green crack are doing the best (top left/bottom right), they are the oldest after all, and it looks to me there are two personalities showing. One is a bit thicker with tighter nodes, one is a bit taller with thinner looking growth. The GC have a lighter green than the others. I could be imagining it.

I tried something different and watered from the bottom. Let the roots seek further down and outward to find water. Also keep the top dry and not be a fun place for a fly to hang out/live. Amnesia OG bottom left, Blue Dream top right.

IMG_006291.JPG

Temperature and humidity are fairly decent. Just the lights and Plants, no fan or exhaust in this tent. Rh is 50/60 depending on basement conditions or water schedule. Temps drop into high 60s when lights are out. I am going to keep temps low, I want to see some colour development, and along with the organic soil I should be able to accomplish that.

Back
Top Bottom