VictorVonDoom's 1st Grow - Converted Mini Fridge - Indoor/Soil 2013

From my perspective, the only added benefit that I can see from defoliating is to increase air flow from the bottom up which aids to keep CO2 nearer the canopy, but also to keep heated air moving upwards with hopes that it will be sucked off.

Aside from that, it is being taught to me and I can clearly see that what I had interpreted as "good air flow" consisted of a lot of air moving directly through the plant with little interruption or turbulence created. This did little more than dry out her leaves near the end of veg/beginning of flower and almost brought her into an all out K-Potasium deficiency. I have since left all leaves on and as depicted above by AG, she treats her own ailments that are caused by me (the grower). It's usually hard for me to see under 2,100k HPS, but I was able to sneak in just before lights on with the 2-6,500k closet CFLs to get a few snaps and viola, a nice even green color. Her colas are forming out so nicely. Had I kept on with defoliating her nutrient caches, I really believe the colas I'm now seeing would be half the size or less and she possibly would've hermied on me.

Just my 2 pennies

in your room and your veg time I think you'd need to defol in fear of mold

I caught that mold in my basement on a single plant. I had them in a small plastic container, sweating by the lights. on top of that barley a fan in there cause the box kept the air out too much.

but I really changed the environment so they stay high and dry!

I've had the same dilemma about pruning too... my rule of thumb now is if it comes away easily in my hand then fine... if not it stays, but each to their own :)

I've had the same dilemma about pruning too... my rule of thumb now is of it comes away easily in my hand then fine... if not it stays, but each to their own :)
:thumb:

Flower Day 76 (From 12/12 flip)

Since my last update I have not had to super flop once.

Nothing to report other than yellowing occurring on some fan leaves.
And as the colas are growing vertically the buds are growing horizontally, which gives them an unusual aesthetic

Don't know how much difference there is since my last update, but it wouldn't be an update without em

DSC006325.JPG

DSC006345.JPG

DSC006355.JPG

DSC006385.JPG

DSC006378.JPG

DSC0063612.JPG

DSC006418.JPG

DSC006407.JPG

DSC006397.JPG

Back Chilling - I have now got 2 books under my tub to get them as close as poss to them lights
DSC006336.JPG

Peace Out

hmm. just watch her. the buds are a bit airy still and they usually fill out in the final weeks, but you did spread the buds out a lot and have a lot of tops. you always have to look at how much real wattage you're working with. just watch the pistils. when the pistils stop growing a lot, she'll start ripening and from there you have a couple day window for a great harvest.

at this point the more pure water she'll drink the better.

You think so? Not much has happened in the past 5 days, i was thinking 2-3 weeks still

I have the same thought as you Vic. The inner bud formation looks very immature IMO, so I was thinking at least another 2 weeks before considering a harvest. But as B said, check your pistils as when they die off is when the inner calyxes really start to swell up! But more importantly you should be going by trichome maturity. If you have not already, go get yourself a pocket microscope and check every few days on several tops. THAT is your best bet for a 'perfect' harvest.

As for flushing, I would start decreasing your feed seeing that there is still a big window between now and harvest (my assumption), until you are 1-2 weeks away. Then I would hit them with the 0 PPM flush:thumb:

You think I should just be feeding with pure water and molasses? Basically start flushing?

I would start flushing for sure. I grow under cfls and they take about 3 weeks to flush properly. I usually whip out the microscope when I notice that pistil growth has almost completely stopped.

I got an update for you in my snow white & diesel journal since you asked about the buds.

Yeah I've got a microscope and that what I will be going on

As for flushing, I would start decreasing your feed seeing that there is still a big window between now and harvest (my assumption), until you are 1-2 weeks away. Then I would hit them with the 0 PPM flush:thumb:

When you say flush the plant you mean to put a non nutrient solution through the growing medium to get rid of all nutrients out of the medium? As I'm growing in soil should I flush out the medium, then wait 4-5 days and do the same again?

Don't think I can manage 0PPM fluid will tap water left out 24 hours then put through a water filter?
Would you add molasses to this?

When you say flush the plant you mean to put a non nutrient solution through the growing medium to get rid of all nutrients out of the medium? As I'm growing in soil should I flush out the medium, then wait 4-5 days and do the same again?

Don't think I can manage 0PPM fluid will tap water left out 24 hours then put through a water filter?
Would you add molasses to this?

Well, I consider a flush to be the leaching of salts and chemicals from your medium and plant. When I grew in soil and under CFL, I would start my flush 2-3 weeks before harvest (depending on strain) by decreasing my feed. Since I was using FoxFarms line at the time I basically started decreasing feed strength based on their nutrient schedule.

I would decrease nutrient strength every time it was a 'feed day' (weekly) and continue to water normally in between.

When the last 'feed day' before harvest arrives, watering the plant with no nutrient solution is next. Whether you add molasses or not, depends on personal preference. Personally, in soil, I used molases through the last 4 weeks of flower, rather than a bulking formula. But in hydro, sugary substance like that is what I try to stay away from, due to the chance of pythium outbreaks....see using it is also situational.

Don't worry about 0PPM fluid. I myself use tap water for everything (DE-chlorinated) with a PPM at 170! When you say filter you mean a DE-chlorinating filter or one that removes dissolved solids? I use a Brita faucet filter that removes chlorine, and other trace metals from the water, does very little to PPM though.

Well, I consider a flush to be the leaching of salts and chemicals from your medium and plant. When I grew in soil and under CFL, I would start my flush 2-3 weeks before harvest (depending on strain) by decreasing my feed. Since I was using FoxFarms line at the time I basically started decreasing feed strength based on their nutrient schedule.

>>Cool, get ya

I would decrease nutrient strength every time it was a 'feed day' (weekly) and continue to water normally in between.

>>Since the 2nd week of flower I have been feeding about every 5 days with 1.5l of fish tank water 2.5ml of molasses and 1/2 strength tomato nutrients. I haven't been watering in between. Haha, have I been doing it wrong?

When the last 'feed day' before harvest arrives, watering the plant with no nutrient solution is next. Whether you add molasses or not, depends on personal preference. Personally, in soil, I used molases through the last 4 weeks of flower, rather than a bulking formula. But in hydro, sugary substance like that is what I try to stay away from, due to the chance of pythium outbreaks....see using it is also situational.

>>Brilliant explanation AG, fully get ya

Don't worry about 0PPM fluid. I myself use tap water for everything (DE-chlorinated) with a PPM at 170! When you say filter you mean a DE-chlorinating filter or one that removes dissolved solids? I use a Brita faucet filter that removes chlorine, and other trace metals from the water, does very little to PPM though.

>>I see, 0PPM in an ideal world.
Yeah I've got that same brand of filter you have

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom