Virgin Grower - Badboy Lights - Fox Farms - LST - Nirvana Seed

Re: Virgin grower. Using Badboy lights, Fox Farms, LST, and Nirvana seed

very nice!!

Very nice grow man. Ive been growin Nervanas gear since day1. Ive got Blackjack, Ak48, Powerplant, Raspberry cough and ICE growin now. You will like the ak48. They will smell just like Juicyfruit gum when they flower. The taste is not as fruity as Blackjack or Powerplant but it makes very nice rock hard buds in very short time. It tastes just fine to me and has a powerful kick and lasts long. Finishing for me in as little as 52 days with 3.5 - 4 quart mason jars per plant dry. I also use Foxfarms as well as subcools supersoil and some organic stimulators.

Checkout my grow thread. Ye olde perpetual garden. Ive got some ak pics in there I think.

Ye Olde Organic Perpetual Garden by Cona

Good job....especially for your first grow
Cona
Thanks for stopping by guys. I subbed both your grows really good stuff going on.

If you have a pocket microscope you may be able to tell a little better. After my first grow I was able to tell pretty quickly, before they even started showing pistils. The male preflowers look like little claws, even when they are very small. Sometime the female preflowers will have just the hint of a pistil poking out, that is when the microscope comes in handy. They sell them at Radioshack for a few bucks.

I have 2 of those radioshack scopes. Hard to use for a old guy like me. I bought a 30 power jewlers scope with led lights. Way better for me. Doesnt get as close as the rc scope but close enuff to see amber trichromes and easy to use. Like 6 bucks at amazon. I would still get the RC 420 scope. Gets closer and good for younger eyes.

Cona

Steve/Cona i have a 3x mag glass, but sounds like I need to get the RS scope and the loupe. by the time they get here, i'm sure i will know sex, but will still need them for the trichs and future efforts.

Heres a quick group shot. they are really beginning to stretch. Probably 1 to 1.5 inches a day right now. They were below the tape line a day and a half ago
IMG_016613.JPG

As you can see they really should be ready to begin flowering within the next week or so.
IMG_016914.JPG
IMG_017012.JPG

So the question I have for the community, Is it to early for me to tops these little ones today to allow them a week to heal before flipping the room over to 12/12 . Just concerned that topping this small may be a problem. Would I be better served just letting them grow naturally over the next week, or attempting the topping to add a second top? All opinions welcome.
IMG_016310.JPG
IMG_016211.JPG

Ive done it on the fourth node before. I like to let mine get a little bigger but then again....I am vegging out my plants for 5 - 6 weeks. Your gonna flower that sucker from small right. Try it....whats the worst that could happen.

Cona

that little guy is too small. right around the 3rd or 4th node is prime for topping

Fed the kids with full doses of grow big and big bud today, 4 gallons in total. The 2 little ones were just given a half gallon of tap water as they have OC+. I did top to the 2 small ones last night. Might be a fim, might not be. either way they look good and I can see the new branches starting. Will post pics latter

Greenie said:
Did I read somewhere that you can "spritz" your plants with some carbonated water?? when would you do this? how often? etc... If there's a thread, please point me in the right direction! :thanks:

I saw a video

I really do not have experience with CO2 enrichment, Use caution with soda water as it is acidic. I read somewhere that if you visit the kids for appprox 60 minutes throughout the day, that your breath exhausts enough co2 to raise the levels is an average size tent.

This is from wikipedia
Chemistry

Carbon dioxide and water form carbonic acid (H2CO3),[2] which gives the water a slightly sour taste with a pH between 3 and 4.[3] An alkaline salt, such as sodium bicarbonate, may be added to soda water to reduce its acidity.
Carbon dioxide dissolved in water at a low concentration (0.2%–1.0%) cannot be tasted by humans, but the sour flavor of carbonic acid can be. The addition of a sodium or potassium salt can neutralize some of the acidic flavor of drinks that are made with soda water.

Let the flowering begin! So tonight the lite period will be cut short at 14 hours daylight 10 hours darkness and tomorrow begins the 12/12 regimen. I was hoping to hold out another week or two, but the room was getting crowded as I didn't originally plan to have 8 plants running together. That plus I have a vacation in the late fall and I really would like them done by then. bottom line, Let the flowering begin.

Overhead view of the bag seed. The next 2 shots show the overhead view of the 6 plants from bag seed. very bushy multiple tops and filling the closet nicely
IMG_017711.JPG
IMG_017814.JPG

Side view of bag seed plants
IMG_018012.JPG
IMG_017510.JPG

13 inches tall today
IMG_017615.JPG

As the seed from Nirvana started late, I wanted to give them more time to catch up. so I bought a few CFL's and moved the fem Nirvana plants out of the closet to allow them to continue vegging for a week or 2.
IMG_018116.JPG

AK48
IMG_017311.JPG

Aurora IndIca
IMG_017412.JPG

getting ready for the stretch! looking good.
:bravo:

Steve. or any experienced grower, regarding "The Stretch" I've read that I can expect the plant to grow 2 to 3x during the first four weeks or so of flowering. I have two questions on this

1. Can I assume that the Indica variety is more than likley closer to the 2X while the Sativa variety has a better liklihood of hitting 3X?
  2. I have LST'd the plant fairly extensivly, is the 2 or 3X multiplier based on the height of each top, or rather would it be based on the overall length of the branch from the main stem, or based on the lentgh of the main stem. Clearly 3 different heigts I would need to plan for?

Thanks for the feed back.

Steve. or any experienced grower, regarding "The Stretch" I've read that I can expect the plant to grow 2 to 3x during the first four weeks or so of flowering. I have two questions on this

1. Can I assume that the Indica variety is more than likley closer to the 2X while the Sativa variety has a better liklihood of hitting 3X?
  2. I have LST'd the plant fairly extensivly, is the 2 or 3X multiplier based on the height of each top, or rather would it be based on the overall length of the branch from the main stem, or based on the lentgh of the main stem. Clearly 3 different heigts I would need to plan for?

Thanks for the feed back.
It's all strain/pheno dependent. My last run of Gigabud stretched 1.5x, the Pineapple Chunk 3x. If you LST them you'll still get some stretch of the lateral branches as they all try to become the top site, but not as much as if you just left it alone.

Even within the same strain you may have one stretch a lot more than another from the same batch of seeds. I take clones of all of mine and then keep the ones that display the pheno I want (yield, taste, smell, height etc...).

Fed the kids 4 gallons water with big bud, grow big and tiger bloom on Friday and then gave them 3 gallons of tap water today. They continue to grow and fill in the under brush. they currently stand right around 17 inches.

As for the Nirvana seeds. they are 4 weeks old today. The AK48 is growing twice as fast as the Aurora Indica is. I added another CFL to these girls as they are outside the closet while the bag seed is flowering. So right now these girls are under 4 cfl's plus a 2ft aquarium t8 light untill they are ready to move in with the others. i would guess another 2 weeks or more before this happens.

So here's the updated group shot for the weekend
DSC018991.JPG

I think my favorite one of the group has shown its sex...
DSC019002.JPG

Unfortunately, I m 99% sure it is male. Would anyone care to confirm for me
DSC018981.JPG
DSC018952.JPG

Assuming it is male, I am thinking about keeping him in a separate room to gather pollen. Would a standard household light be sufficient to allow the pollen sac to mature?

And for the Nirvana little ones. Both should be fem as they are fem seeds. I am really surprised how much faster the AK48 is growing over the Aurora Indica, especially given the AK is almost a week younger.

AK48 at 3.5 weeks old
DSC019023.JPG

Aurora Indica at 4 weeks old
DSC019031.JPG

Back
Top Bottom