Virgin Grower - Badboy Lights - Fox Farms - LST - Nirvana Seed

Update of the week. Quite a few things going on.
The room is definitely getting crowded and the 4, now 5 girls are happily flowering away.

IMG_020520.JPG
IMG_020421.JPG
IMG_020322.JPG

IMG_019214.JPG

The AK from Nirvana Has really impressed me. It was started like 4 weeks after the bag seed and is already the same size as some of them. I put her into the flowering room yesterday at 14 inches tall and 16 inches wide and 40 days from seed sprout.

Heres the newly added AK48
IMG_01939.JPG

I also fimmed the AK48 about a week ago. Keep in mind this is my first attempt at FIm, but it looks like I hit the mark. Right now its looking like a minimum of 6 tops but she is showing signs of wanting to sprout out one more. All from one little cut!
IMG_020226.JPG
IMG_01948.JPG

The BagSeed girls are now at Day 16 of flowering and are doing pretty good.
IMG_020113.JPG
IMG_01919.JPG
IMG_01906.JPG
IMG_018913.JPG
IMG_018814.JPG
IMG_018713.JPG

One of the girls is showing signs of nute burn. They seem much more sensitive to the Flowering nutes than they were with the veg nutes. Does anyone know if this is common or is this specific to these girls?
IMG_020016.JPG

Oh yeah, almost forgot. I bought the BelOMO 10x Triplet Loupe Folding Magnifier based on GoldenGoose recommendation. Its a bit pricey compared to others on the web, but the quality is good and It is definitely easier with my shaky hands than the 60 to 100x mini scopes. So far its a winner.
belomo.gif

So I have been reading on the ongoing debate around plant defoliation and whether it is wise or indeed beneficial to do so. I must admit that I come down on the side of not to defoliate. That's not to say I wouldn't strategically remove a fan leaf if it were in the way of a productive bud, or to open up the inside of the plant to more light. I would however prefer to simply bend and tuck the larger fan leaves and/or perform some lst to accomplish the goal. I believe the fan leaves act as an energy sink while in the vegetative phase and ultimately as an energy source in the latter stages of flowering. So in my mind fan leaves are good.... Most of the time. I did find a few reasons this weekend though that I thought warranted pretty aggressive defoliation.

Reason 1:
One of the plants was showing pretty severe nute burn. Not sure why, as it was fed the same mix and amount as the other girls but none the less she was pretty burned and after 2 flushes and 3 or 4 days wasn't looking any better. So I decided that rather than have the plant expend energy trying to repair itself I would remove all the fan leaves leaving just the buds and the sugar leaves and allow theplant to focus on these rather than repair. Not sure if I made the right choice, but it will be interesting to see how she responds and produces going forward.
IMG_021416.JPG
IMG_02138.JPG
IMG_020813.JPG

Reason 2
I pulled the largest boy from the room a little over a week ago to collect pollen. I also removed half or more of the branches and put him in a spare bathroom with a cfl. bending the remaining branches horizontal to the counter top to ease the eventual collection of pollen. Well the sacks are starting to look heavy and will be poping open any time now ( one opened today). So my concern is that as they open, the fan leaves will catch a good amount of the pollen making it harder for me to collect it. So I removed all remaining fan leaves from him this evening and placed a piece of glass under the branches and sacs and think I will have a good amount of pollen in the next few days
IMG_022215.JPG
IMG_022014.JPG

IMG_022413.JPG

I also took 2 cuttings off of the bag seed girls and 2 cuttings from the AK48 to make clones from. 1 of each type was cloned by simply cutting the fan leaves down to size to limit transpiration, scraping the stem, and placing in a small container with soil. The other half went through the same process but with the addition of a rooting hormone powder I picked up at home depot today. I 'm just curious is it really needed or will the cutting in soil alone do equally well. Guess I \'ll find out in the next week or 2
IMG_021018.JPG
IMG_020716.JPG

I'm also liking these super roots air pots. The roots look pretty healthy to me
IMG_021515.JPG

The Aurora Indica still in veg mode. Probably will veg until the current girls are done flowering as the room is full now.
IMG_020620.JPG
IMG_02129.JPG

A few random shots
IMG_02198.JPG
IMG_021810.JPG
IMG_02129.JPG
IMG_021112.JPG
IMG_020911.JPG

Thats all for now.

Dex, things look to be moving along great :welldone: Looking at that AK makes me want to germ mine. + reps for a great first grow. :bravo:

You'll like her when you do. She grows very fast, lots of good strong side branches and needs very little in the way of lst or topping. So far I only did FIM on her and that was a week and a half ago. More out of curiosity than need as she was pretty wide with out the extra branches the Fim brought up.

Not sure if it's the genetics, the super roots pot, the Osmocote Plus or the combination of these but she is a great grower.

Nice to hear about the AK48. I have 7 going now, 6 are seedlings, 1 is 14 days into veg today and short but bushy as hell!

So I can use some guidance/recommendations. when I started this grow the RH in the room was hovering between 50 and 55%. But as the girls continue to grow in size and demand more water the RH has climbed to a high of 78% today. I knew the RH was getting high over the past few weeks and went as far to buy Damp Rid Hanging Moisture Absorber when the humidity hit 65/66% and that seemed to drop the RH by 4 or 5 points initially. However now a week and a half latter the RH is at 78% as I write this.

I am really hoping someone has a low cost trick up their sleeve to help with this as the grow is already over budget. All suggestions welcomed. Thanks for the help.

Nice to hear about the AK48. I have 7 going now, 6 are seedlings, 1 is 14 days into veg today and short but bushy as hell!

Bassman I've been lurking and following your progress. I know it was off to a tough start but it looks like you got it turned around now and are getting good advice from the community.

So I can use some guidance/recommendations. when I started this grow the RH in the room was hovering between 50 and 55%. But as the girls continue to grow in size and demand more water the RH has climbed to a high of 78% today. I knew the RH was getting high over the past few weeks and went as far to buy Damp Rid Hanging Moisture Absorber when the humidity hit 65/66% and that seemed to drop the RH by 4 or 5 points initially. However now a week and a half latter the RH is at 78% as I write this.

I am really hoping someone has a low cost trick up their sleeve to help with this as the grow is already over budget. All suggestions welcomed. Thanks for the help.

I found this information online, I checked on the packs and they are not that expensive, But you can reuse them and not have to replace it in 60 days. Which means lower cost. Not sure if this is the best advice, But I think if you had enough gel , It could. :D I looked at dehumidifiers, But they are a bit pricey the ones I found, And more use of power.

Little packets of silica gel are found in all sorts of products because silica gel is a desiccant -- it adsorbs and holds water vapor. In leather products and foods like pepperoni, the lack of moisture can limit the growth of mold and reduce spoilage. In electronics it prevents condensation, which might damage the electronics. If a bottle of vitamins contained any moisture vapor and were cooled rapidly, the condensing moisture would ruin the pills. You will find little silica gel packets in anything that would be affected by excess moisture or condensation.

Silica gel is nearly harmless, which is why you find it in food products. Silica, or silicon dioxide (SiO2), is the same material found in quartz. The gel form contains millions of tiny pores that can adsorb and hold moisture. Silica gel is essentially porous sand.

Silica gel can adsorb about 40 percent of its weight in moisture and can take the relative humidity in a closed container down to about 40 percent. Once saturated, you can drive the moisture off and reuse silica gel by heating it above 300 degrees F (150 C).

I think he would need a 5 gallon bucket of silica beads to do the trick, and then the constant drying to reuse them. If you have the space a small dehumidifier is probably your best option. If you use damp rid, you have to buy new packs, if you use the silica beads you have to dry them in the oven. Both are added costs. Running a dehumidifier for a few hours a day won't cost a lot and will be more effective in reducing your RH.

The other way to handle high RH is to move the air more. If the RH in you house is lower, drawing air from your house through the grow and out will keep the RH down. Put a hepa filter on the intake and push air through from the bottom exhaust through the top and in no time you're grow RH will closely match the RH of your house.

If you're in a sealed grow, you'll need the dehumid.

Steve is correct, move the air and replace w/ drier air (winter is coming....) or get a dehumidifier. Silica is great for bottles of vitamins, not rooms. I'd get the dehumidifier. One ounce of moldy bud will pay for it and the electricity to run it. Lots of people have to learn that the hard way. You will need it next summer for sure.

Thanks for the tips guys. I know I really need a dehumidifier, but was hoping to get through the 1st grow without it out as I am already double my budget estimate in getting the initial setup stuff. I will monitor the RH for another week or 2 but If the weather and environment haven't gotten better by the time the flowers start packing on the weight I;ll have to splurge a little more.

Do any of you have any specific model that you have used and liked. I'm curious how much a dehumidifier can lower the RH. Any thoughts on Eva-Dry Edv-2200 Mid-Size Dehumidifier by Eva-dry

Oh yeah. I chopped the last boy down yesterday after collecting a fair amount of pollen from him. I mixed the pollen in with a little flour to help stretch it out and have stored in a vial then stored in a rubbermaid container filled with rice. I painted some pollen on 5 or 6 budsites and marked each location with a twist tie. Hopefully I'll have a few seeds in another couple of weeks come harvest time.

Thanks for the tips guys. I know I really need a dehumidifier, but was hoping to get through the 1st grow without it out as I am already double my budget estimate in getting the initial setup stuff. I will monitor the RH for another week or 2 but If the weather and environment haven't gotten better by the time the flowers start packing on the weight I;ll have to splurge a little more.

Do any of you have any specific model that you have used and liked. I'm curious how much a dehumidifier can lower the RH. Any thoughts on Eva-Dry Edv-2200 Mid-Size Dehumidifier by Eva-dry

I found a decent one for 50 bucks, Its smaller and more compact. Heres the information on it, Hope it helps. :)

The Perfect Home 4-Pint Dehumidifier features a compact design and quiet performance that makes it ideal for small rooms or personal spaces, such as bedrooms, nurseries, closets and offices. The dehumidifier removes up to 4 pints of moisture per day and has an indicator light that alerts you when the bucket is full.

Thermoelectric (Peltier) cooling module helps provide a quiet performance and energy efficiency

Air Treatment Product Type : Dehumidifier
Assembled Depth (in.) : 5.12 in
Assembled Height (in.) : 13.39 in
Assembled Width (in.) : 8.07 in
Automatic defrost control : No
Automatic shutoff : Yes
Bucket Location : Back
Bucket Storage or Bucketless : Bucket Storage
Bucket capacity (pints) : 3.2
Casters : No
Color : White
Color Family : Whites
Control Type : Manual
Depth (in) : 6.50 in
Drain hose connection : No
ETL Listed : Yes
Energy Star Compliant : No
Height (in) : 17.72 in
Item Package Type : Cardboard Container
Item Weight : 4.09 lb
LCD display : No
Manufacturer Warranty : 1 year parts / 1 year labor
Minimum operating temperature (F) : 60
Moisture removal capacity (pints/day) : 4
Product Depth (in.) : 5.12
Product Height (in.) : 13.39
Product Weight (lb.) : 4.07
Product Width (in.) : 8.07 in
Pump : No
Remote Control : No
Returnable : 90-Day
Timer : No
Voltage (volts) : 120 V
Width (in) : 9.84 in

MFG Brand Name : Perfect Home
MFG Model # : EWDH4
MFG Part # : EWDH4

Day 26 Flowering for Bag Seed Day 11 flowering for AK48

The AK continues to impress. It is now the biggest girl in the closet and takes up nearly a 3rd of the space
The Ak48
IMG_022821.JPG

Group Shot with AK48 occupying the center
IMG_022918.JPG

The Trichs are starting to show on the bag seed
IMG_023714.JPG
IMG_023516.JPG
IMG_02419.JPG
IMG_02418.JPG
IMG_023022.JPG

The AI is looking good and still outside of the closet under 3 CFL's
IMG_024211.JPG
IMG_022619.JPG
IMG_022517.JPG

I seem to be having some difficulty with cloning. So far only one out of about 5 or6 have survived. I have added 2 more cuttings in the past 36 hours
IMG_022720.JPG

Fed the girls full strength flowering nutes yesterday after taking a week of just water. I wanted to give them the week chemical free because of the burn issues I had last week. The look to be recovering quite nicely.

Bassman I've been lurking and following your progress. I know it was off to a tough start but it looks like you got it turned around now and are getting good advice from the community.

The next pics are going to be impressive I think. *well, impressive for me anyways*

Much thanks to the help from this community.

Looking real good. :) How is your RH issue?

I'm embarrassed to admit it, but the RH issue started when my wife went out of town and turned off the AC without my awareness. Once I turned it back on and added another damp rid bag the RH got in line and is hovering around 62% or so now.

Back
Top Bottom