Vortex's Lab: 4x4 Secondary Garden & Experimental Thread

Hey! So I took some pics of medical weed trics for us

First 2 pics are ‘Sirius’ INDICA - from till Ray
Next 2 are ‘Acadia’ SATIVA - from Organigram

They look virtually the same to me .. which to me would mean prime cutting time and that effects are strain specific ?
No opinion just still learning myself :)
388B6B6C-92BD-443B-94FC-2E0817477E81.jpeg
6BAC5785-A27A-43C6-8D1B-65BC7866B163.jpeg
EA195B89-B040-459F-8C0F-E3467E755167.jpeg
74A9445D-F66B-4A3B-A873-3D3DCB03E8D7.jpeg

A7A1897C-C837-4639-93E5-FC87F2CB50E0.jpeg
4F2A99E1-CB64-4F6D-835C-7321F65B4E0A.jpeg
B57F2E86-AF5F-4132-8F15-004864005995.jpeg
07353996-F415-45E5-BC70-F1AF88BB1A4D.jpeg

Progress is happening. Had to whiz, so thought I’d share.

See, I wasn’t kidding about the pea-sized calyxes. I’d say it makes trimming easier, but not really. The UV shots she was getting the last 10 days or so curled her sugar leaves up, so any gain is lost on that.

She’s frosty and sticky AF though. 3 scissor cleans for just those few branches. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Well, break time’s over.

EF34A65C-6784-4C48-8161-E60FF7F3E0F3.jpeg
A8DD4A13-3580-4A34-AA4A-DB0BE40E1A67.jpeg
1709ED58-478F-42D8-A4E8-997831771860.jpeg

After about 4 hours of work, elapsed time 7 hours, it was all trimmed, hung, and cleaned up.

Not an overly impressive amount, but not bad for an auto and having lost a main branch back when.

Didn’t go for a wet weight, or get a hanging pic. Maybe after bit when I change out the nutes on the GDP.

Smells nice though. :cheesygrinsmiley:

20C578BE-D576-4273-98AE-C13EED66D60B.jpeg

Lemmy is enjoying a little more space. Keeping her centered(ish) but did move her a good 6 inches towards the gap.

957ECCD8-1C1E-4A2C-97C0-450B98AD586E.jpeg

There’s Six. Nearing the end, obviously. Another week or so for her most likely. As a note, I did measure her and the tallest tip is 11” from the top of the mix. She quadlined well, to say the least.

E5D92161-9280-4770-B22C-6F5847BBEEF7.jpeg

Hola, Chica. Getting some wild coloration to her leaves. She might have 2 weeks left.

8A24A897-3C6E-4AA6-9B21-F657EB36D6DE.jpeg

9C2340F4-DC9F-4049-A4A4-0E36CEA7FD08.jpeg

Two shots of Blue there in the back corner. First a wide, then a little more of a nice bud next to the vent duct. About 3 weeks left for her, IIRC.

E7899328-C091-42E1-82D3-09165CCA246E.jpeg

Finally, the now hanging Crack Baby.

She’s in the 1x3 section of the Dev Lab, hanging from the shelf. Trim is scattered in a box on the shelf. No fans, just exhaust that sucks into the Lab and out from there through filtration.

The oil will be nice no matter what you use it for.

Gummies is the plan. Going to decarb Friday evening and makeup the oil, then make gummies Saturday morning. :cheesygrinsmiley:

With yesterday's activities, I'm trying to catch up on things I glanced at, but didn't really have a chance to come back around to.

You can use olive oil to clean your scissors just put a bit in bowl and dip a paper towel in it so it soaks a bit of the oil up then rub the paper towel on your scissors and it cleans them right up.

Holy. Shit.

This was fecking awesome sauce. I didn't touch my jar of cleaner until I was done, and even then it wasn't actually needed. I get those big bags of shop rags from the big box stores, the ones that are basically cut up t-shirts (but new and clean), and used one. Dipped a corner in the oil, and only had to re-dip once. This was a miracle, as I was cleaning between just about every branch. This girl was sticky icky for sure. The little shots of UVB did her right, even though it did claw her leaves a good bit.

Thank you so much for this tip. It let me use a single pair of scissors the whole run, which was nice.

Hey! So I took some pics of medical weed trics for us

First 2 pics are ‘Sirius’ INDICA - from till Ray
Next 2 are ‘Acadia’ SATIVA - from Organigram

They look virtually the same to me .. which to me would mean prime cutting time and that effects are strain specific ?
No opinion just still learning myself :)

Thanks for that. She was ready. A few spots had more amber than others, but that's alright. She was all cloudy and being a daytime strain, she was good to go.

One down, nine more to go over the next 8 weeks. :D

Thankfully there isn't a weekend that I'm going to be out until March. Although it would be my luck that something is ready that weekend. :laughtwo:

Maybe I'll feel a cough coming on the following Monday? :D

e7899328-c091-42e1-82d3-09165cca246e-jpeg.2051521

So back to the crack baby for a minute.

I'm a tad sad with the giant-assed calyxes pheno from this one. Not real tight together, but each calyx was pretty tight itself. Kind of like picking grapes, if that makes for a decent visual. On that note, I'm considering taking some of the smaller branches and throwing them in with the trim (trim is all sugary goodness plus popcorn scruff) for the coconut oil. The haul for her isn't overly great in amount, but that seems to be hit and miss with green crack from what digging around I did on the subject.

I wouldn't call it a bust, just luck of the pheno draw I suppose. I dunno, maybe she'll surprise me after the dry. (Everybody else in the tent is super, so that rules out environment, light, nutes, etc.) They'll smoke fine, sure. Grind right up and be just fine.

So not really sure. I think the oil would certainly be better with more bud than sugar leaf, even if all the leaves had that “dipped in sugar” frosty look to them. Thoughts?

This was fecking awesome sauce. I didn't touch my jar of cleaner until I was done, and even then it wasn't actually needed. I get those big bags of shop rags from the big box stores, the ones that are basically cut up t-shirts (but new and clean), and used one. Dipped a corner in the oil, and only had to re-dip once. This was a miracle, as I was cleaning between just about every branch. This girl was sticky icky for sure. The little shots of UVB did her right, even though it did claw her leaves a good bit.

Thank you so much for this tip. It let me use a single pair of scissors the whole run, which was nice.
That's awesome Multi I'm glad it worked out for you. It's an old trick my brother in law taught me years ago when he was growing. My wife and I would help him from time to time and of course he would want the most help come harvest time my wife is like a semi pro trimmer now lol.

With the one I picked up, extreme caution is a must. Talking like 5min intervals, and keeping the light a good distance from the plants. I ended up crisping a few sugar leaves on the center plant from running it too long initially. It also caused the leaves on the Green Crack to turn straight up, from which they never returned. However, as it's used in only the last 10-14 days, it wasn't a deal breaker.

I will say that the Green Crack was frosty and sticky AF. I mean like you expect out of a real good gorilla glue. I'd like to think some of that can be attributed to the UVB.

The light rig in this tent has UVA, but the UVB is where the slight bump in THC lies.

The light is from California Lightworks, and is their 24w UVB strip light. They had a nice sale on them before Christmas, so picked up a pair.

Won't really know until we see how she smokes, but I may get an early preview this weekend when I take the trim (that looks like it was rolled in sugar, just sayin) and little bit of larf, decarb it, and make some coconut oil. That oil is then going into a gummy batch, which once it sets is getting a test. :D

I'm hoping to make the oil on Friday night, and then make the gummies Saturday morning. Depends on the time I have Saturday. Also have to do a res change, and the old lady is babysitting for a bit in the early afternoon.

Needless to say, ain't much going on midday. I may prep the water and have it ready (can't do a change until at least 11am (lights on) anyway, then do the change as soon as possible after the place is clear. Or I may say fuck it and change it anyway. That's what locks are for. :rofl:

Either way, I could potentially have the gummies made up in the morning. Might not be a bad idea; may need them by lunch. :laughtwo:

EF34A65C-6784-4C48-8161-E60FF7F3E0F3.jpeg
A8DD4A13-3580-4A34-AA4A-DB0BE40E1A67.jpeg
1709ED58-478F-42D8-A4E8-997831771860.jpeg

After about 4 hours of work, elapsed time 7 hours, it was all trimmed, hung, and cleaned up.

Not an overly impressive amount, but not bad for an auto and having lost a main branch back when.

Didn’t go for a wet weight, or get a hanging pic. Maybe after bit when I change out the nutes on the GDP.

Smells nice though. :cheesygrinsmiley:
So what do you do if your plant's trunk out grows that green tray?

So what do you do if your plant's trunk out grows that green tray?

That's a good question. One I'll not need to answer for those trays most likely. This was probably the only run where I'll be using those trays. Next run will use a similar concept, but different trays.

The new trays, which will be on top of a dutch bucket setup, look like these:

full

(Photo credit to @Dutchman1990)

I've already started using one of them on a test dutch grow:

6655d60d-ba7e-495e-bf21-597e6dbf1344-jpeg.2029797

It's got a 3" center hole, and anything I'm going to be growing most likely won't have a 3" diameter trunk as they'll all be autos.

Worst case would be most likely be some sort of pinch on the trunk, and kind of a girdle/hourglass type of result. The trays also have flex to them, so most likely it ends up in some sort of balance.

The pros FAR out weigh any cons like that though. I haven't seen Dutch have an issue with them on his photos, but doesn't mean it couldn't ever happen. I suppose if you were planning a really, really long veg, maybe. If so, you can plan ahead for that maybe.

So it looks like I'll have 2.5oz of super sticky trim (with scattered larf mixed in a little) to play with to make some coconut oil.

This is where I'm getting sideswiped, and I'm not sure if @farside05, @Preston9mm, or someone else can assist with.

With that much trimmy, sugary goodness, how much coconut oil should I look to use with it? (Strain is listed as 22%+, if that helps.)

The overall end result I'd like to get is about 10mg/gummy once the oil is added to the gummy mixture. Each individual mold holds 2.5ml of mixture. So maybe 5mg is more reasonable, which would be ok I guess.

With it being mostly trim, I figure it will take more of that than it would straight bud. I'm used to handing off trim and getting some gummies/cookies back. Good for me, but I'd like to try doing it myself.

Any tips or tricks out there?

So it looks like I'll have 2.5oz of super sticky trim (with scattered larf mixed in a little) to play with to make some coconut oil.

This is where I'm getting sideswiped, and I'm not sure if @farside05, @Preston9mm, or someone else can assist with.

With that much trimmy, sugary goodness, how much coconut oil should I look to use with it? (Strain is listed as 22%+, if that helps.)

The overall end result I'd like to get is about 10mg/gummy once the oil is added to the gummy mixture. Each individual mold holds 2.5ml of mixture. So maybe 5mg is more reasonable, which would be ok I guess.

With it being mostly trim, I figure it will take more of that than it would straight bud. I'm used to handing off trim and getting some gummies/cookies back. Good for me, but I'd like to try doing it myself.

Any tips or tricks out there?
@InTheShed has a spreadsheet that calculates potency.... I think. LoL

I'm more of a,

Q: How much weed should I use?
A: All of it!

kind of guy.
:rofl:

@InTheShed has a spreadsheet that calculates potency.... I think. LoL

I'm more of a,

Q: How much weed should I use
A: All of it!

kind of guy.
:rofl:

Oh, I'm using all of it. :laugh:

The question is how much oil to dilute it in. :D

Well...
70.87g bud @ 22% THC with an 80% efficiency rating will give you 4mgTHC/ml oil (or 10mg with 2.5ml) if you use

3000ml of oil or 101.4 ounces!

Of course trim isn't 22% and that's post-decarb weight.

Agreed that the % will be less off of trim.

The calculator I ran suggested that 2oz @12%, into 2 cups of oil, would yield ~340mg/oz of oil infused. It drilled it down further to using 1/2C oil to make 144 gummies for an end result of 9.4mg/gummy.

Does that sound close, or nah?

I'll have to get a post-decarb weight, but dry weight was the 2.5oz. I have maybe 1/8 of gorilla glue left for a rainy day, I may throw that in there too, Preston style. :rofl:

Back
Top Bottom