We Should K.I.S.S - Second Grow

Watered yesterday

pH of nute mix: 6.9

Gave each plant 250ml of water as suggested by a few people over on ask us anything: possible over watering, thus my soil was staying wet very long.

Added 2 drops 100% lemon juice to bring the pH down to 6.1

Runoff pH was at 7.

Photos be posted another time.

Pot details:

As far as I know it's 8 inches top side to side (20cm) tapering down to around 6 inch on the bottom

And probably about 9 or 10 inches tall

3 half inch holes on the bottom and I added 4 more with a screwdriver a while back so thats only a few mm (3mm?) each.

With 500ml of water I get about 100ml runoff.

With 250ml for each plant I had literally just enough combined runoff between 3 plants to get enough for a reading with my ph pen. Probably about 20-30ml total combined.

I've now added some holes along the sides.

420-magazine-mobile877714525.jpg

And then... Not looking so good

They're pale... But at the same time Darkside appears nitrogen toxic?

Darkside's the worst
420-magazine-mobile191796273.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1017151877.jpg

Gator's just a little pale
420-magazine-mobile509339145.jpg

Song Sparrow starting to warp again
420-magazine-mobile2593594.jpg

I don't understand how my second grow, with more/better equipment is doing so much worse conpared to my first where I just slapped them in tupperware under too little light watering with 10pH tap water only and they came out fine with much better results than right now... Much confused, such puzzle

I've added Nitrogen to my last feed and now suddenly Song Sparrow is curling in as well...

Photos to be posted of current state soon.

I also had a huge amount of problems until I used Freedom Farms soil mix, problems gone. You may have a salt build up so the flush should help with that.

Perforation might have affected roots
They actually looked like that before adding the holes.

I also had a huge amount of problems until I used Freedom Farms soil mix, problems gone. You may have a salt build up so the flush should help with that.
Will check into that soil after this grow.
Not sure if it was the added nitrogen, putting more distance on the lights or soil drying out, but they actually look a lot better today.

G
420-magazine-mobile214125299.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1580020275.jpg

DS
420-magazine-mobile419189955.jpg

420-magazine-mobile190917662.jpg

SS
420-magazine-mobile1301009779.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1705641462.jpg

They haven't clawed more, so I'm guessing the Nitrogen isn't affecting it badly.. yet.. it's slow release so I'm giving it a few more days to scope out.

Soil, and the correct soil in terms of additives, drainage and water retention are major factors to consider when purchasing or putting your own together. Also remember sometimes these things need to cook to ensure it doesn't burn your plants.
The dropping certainly looked like over watering. You do the finger test?

Soil, and the correct soil in terms of additives, drainage and water retention are major factors to consider when purchasing or putting your own together. Also remember sometimes these things need to cook to ensure it doesn't burn your plants.
The dropping certainly looked like over watering. You do the finger test?
Always do the finger test. I never water unless soil is dry more than 2 knuckles down.

Funny thing is the soil was always wet/moist for almost a week in between watering, never really had any sort of droop.

Then I was suggested to give half the amount of water (250ml instead of 500ml) , which helped the soil dry quicker like within 2 days, but suddenly this is when they were droopy.

They're definitely not underwatered. Wouldn't show this quick and especially not right after watering.

Your techniques are admirable, I got to say I really love the grow cabinet..... Being a cabinet maker myself. The drooping leaves in my opinion is purely due to watering and very common. Your leaves do look a little bit on the pale side but the added nitrogen will definitely help. Let me ask you, why did you not go with a standard nutrients set? You said you wanted to keep it simple and yet you're adding a fertilizer and slow-release that nobody else uses. Slow-release fertilizer in my opinion is making your grow the opposite of the KISS method. I get budget constraints, but for $20, you cud buy a part A and B and have enough for two full grows.

Nice job.....all the girls are looking good......any update on the leaf spots you found?

Your techniques are admirable, I got to say I really love the grow cabinet..... Being a cabinet maker myself. The drooping leaves in my opinion is purely due to watering and very common. Your leaves do look a little bit on the pale side but the added nitrogen will definitely help. Let me ask you, why did you not go with a standard nutrients set? You said you wanted to keep it simple and yet you're adding a fertilizer and slow-release that nobody else uses. Slow-release fertilizer in my opinion is making your grow the opposite of the KISS method. I get budget constraints, but for $20, you cud buy a part A and B and have enough for two full grows.

Nice job.....all the girls are looking good......any update on the leaf spots you found?

Hi thank you for the feedback!

I agree some of the stuff that I've done here doesn't really fit to the KISS sysyem I'm trying to maintain.

But, the slow release fert was mainly because of stuff I had laying around. I didn't buy it for any marijuana related reasons and had it on hand before I started my first grow.

That being said, my immediate location doesn't have a grow shop or any hydroponics shop within a reasonable driving distance and local gardening supply stores are very limited to nutrients choices.

I opted for the Dr. Fishers because it seemed to be (possibly) usuable in both veg and flower and the only viable option at that for growing, but I see now that the ratio (and maybe wrong pH) caused a lack of Nitrogen (hence additional Nitrogen with the ground up slow release fert)

Keeping it simple, doesn't seem to be all that simple anymore haha

Edit: oh and on the leaf spots, they went away by themselves when they grew into a bit more mature plants. No idea what was going on there.

So it's been a while since I last posted and a lot has happened.

The reason for absence was actually due to the plants not doing so well and I actually considered abandoning this grow at some point and starting over.

However seems like the majority of the issues have been fixed.

I had severe drooping, a massive fungus gnat infestation, pale necrotic lower leaves, stunted growth, heat issues to name a few.

So far we've lost Middle Child due to it growing balls.
Darkside seems to be next, however will be keeping it in the cab till I can be 100% sure.
420-magazine-mobile2064812343.jpg

Gator still has no sign of sex, but Song Sparrow sporting some pistils
420-magazine-mobile1199786061.jpg

I've started feeding Nitrosol to fix the deficiency, color has improved a lot over the 3 feeds I've given. I'm still struggling with droopyness and am unsure whether it's over or under watered. Sometimes they perk up after watering. Sometimes they droop after watering...

Anyway here they are on day 86 of vegging... Super slow grow.. but at least it's getting better now. Grew almost an inch last night!

420-magazine-mobile842689770.jpg

420-magazine-mobile183033230.jpg

Day 88

Good news everyone! Looking better than ever!
420-magazine-mobile939769823.jpg

Color is really coming in nicely, growth is faster than usual and it appears like Gator is most probably going to be female.

On the other hand.. Darkside's sacks still haven't produced pistils so I'm pretty much leaning towards male on this one.

Will be away from Sunday to Tuesday to visit the family, so will be using that time as a total dark period to induce flowering. After that I SHOULD most probably know for sure about the sexes.

Side note: maybe some of you knew this, I didn't, but apparently drooping in plants can occur without over/under watering and is more visible in certain strains or plants who's stems might not be very strong. It's known as a "resting period" and can happen near the end of Lights on schedule. Which makes sense because my plants are usually a bit more perky after lights off than lights on and can indicate nearing flowering stage.
Also apparently putting a strobe light on them (which is NOT a good idea!) will have the leaves sticking straight out!

Not sure how reliable this information is, but if it's on the interwebs and it makes some sense it must be true.

Hope you all have a lovely day

And with this we say goodbye to Darkside, an unfortunate choice of gender.

420-magazine-mobile766989338.jpg

On that note a question or two if you'll entertain me:
- roots: this is the first time I really looked at the roots.. I tried keeping them as intact as possible, but some parts did break off.
Pot size okay? Too small? When I took the plant out the roots were 70% covering the bottom of the pot (soil surface area) and the sides were practically rootless except for the odd one or two running along the side.
(Forgot to take a pic with soil intact)

- is the root to plant ratio healthy? It seems like really little rooting to me.

EDIT: Oh and one more, the soil was pretty much dry-ish all the way through, but could still clump it if that makes sense. Seem okay to water the other two? Top soil about the same moistness

Just a quick update,

It's been 2 almost 3 days since I switched to 12/12. They're getting taller, but luckily I have quite a bit of vertical space and the LST obviously helps keep 'em stout.

420-magazine-mobile1929419505.jpg

Female Song Sparrow looking really healthy with her flux, pistils popping up on most of the growth sites, hopefully she'll carry big buds.
420-magazine-mobile1587961655.jpg

And then, quite possibly some bad news..
420-magazine-mobile2082728872.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1187896109.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1629087517.jpg

This is Gator... Looks like seed pouches to me? Anyone second that notion or is there still hope?

I was really hoping to have a side by side comparison of at least one TOP or FIM next to a flux...

Anyway seems like the Nitrosol really helped a lot! Will feed once more then flush before I switch over to flowergro.

Seems to be a male and what a pity because I can see you started to get on top of things, that green colour coming back nicely
Pulled him out of the ground this morning, looks like it's just the flux we'll be flowering this grow

Just a quick update, haven't posted in quite some time.

Day 12 of flower, unfortunately with the Swazi it's a really long flower time so I'm looking at probably another 2-3 months till harvest.

I'm just happy she's looking healthy, flush coming up and then we'll continue with the flowergro instead of nitrosol.

Growing quite a bit, have to adjust the chains 1 link a day at this stage

420-magazine-mobile1208646895.jpg

420-magazine-mobile610545241.jpg

420-magazine-mobile100431485.jpg

Back
Top Bottom