We Should K.I.S.S - Second Grow

Day 36

Okay so I've bought the nutrients,

3:blushsmile:6 (46)
420-magazine-mobile1308761295.jpg

It's recommended use lists it as 10g per 10litres of water.
Meaning I would be using half of the 10g per 10litres, right?

That gives us 5g/10l..
But I'll be mixing 5l at a time, so 2.5g/5litres.. right? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm using a 500ml spray bottle to water my babies, giving 125ml (approximately even amounts each) to each one which is around 150-160 sprays each.

I spray 50 right at the spot where the stem goes into soil, then spray the rest over the top soil (is it okay to get some of the spray on the leaves?)

I've still not had any runoff come from the pots, I'm afraid of overwatering. Might I have bad drainage or just not enough water to go all the way through the soil?

Day 40

Tossed the spray bottle today, so this is the first time I've watered with runoff. Gave each of them 2 cups (roughly 500ml) of one-third strength flowergro.

Drainage seems fine, from a total of 8 cups (2 liters) there was a combined runoff of 1 cup (250ml). Meaning about 12% runoff, which I'm guessing is a really good amount if the aim is to not have more than 20%.

The color seemed a bit dark though.. any thoughts? I don't have any means of pH testing yet... So no idea what the pH is, but I've kept the liquid and will test it when I do.. anyone have a specific preffered way to test?

420-magazine-mobile1250671972.jpg

Darkside is doing really well with the topping.
420-magazine-mobile1353190996.jpg

Gator after the FIM looking good as well, seems like we might be seeing 4 main colas instead of 2 soon.
420-magazine-mobile2034174446.jpg

Middle Child with only LST growing very thick
420-magazine-mobile1991598868.jpg

Song Sparrow actually looking more healthy after the initial mainlining top.
420-magazine-mobile1260850255.jpg

Day 42

Definitely liking the results from the flowergro nutes so far. Obvious increase in growth since I started using it. Reps to LFZ for recommending it.

I've now given the plants a slight bit of distance from the lights to try and get the shoots taller, I like the bushyness of them.. but it makes it very difficult to get my fingers in there for LST; accidentally broke off one of the lower shoots on Gator a few minutes ago. Whooops.

Darkside (topped) is definitely the A candidate thus far, nice spacing, good uniform growth over all.
420-magazine-mobile1568248049.jpg

Gator (FIMed) definitely not far behind Darkside, weird growth tips have started where she was cut. Looks like it was successful for 4 colas though.
420-magazine-mobile2128854290.jpg

Middle Child (mainlining/flux) was growing really fast actually, cut down 2 nodes on the 2 new-old main shoots in order to get 4. Will be topping these 4 at the applicable nodes for best structure in order to get the 8 recommended. From there on it's just LST.
420-magazine-mobile1830283500.jpg

Song Sparrow (bondage only) seems to be running behind, with very tight growth, not really much improved growth on lower shoots, focused more on forming more nodes right now it seems. Very interested to see how she'll turn out in regards to the rest of them.
420-magazine-mobile1985033834.jpg

Quick family picture, any idea why the new growth tips are so light compared to the fan leaves? Is this okay?
420-magazine-mobile188635020.jpg

Day 45 : Training growth comparison/update

Hi everyone, today's post might be on the TL:DR (too long, didn't read) side but might hold some interesting (if not slightly helpful) information - to me at least. This is a journal after all, information for everyone, especially myself. :D

So let's get started then shall we?

First let's recap what we've done.

Darkside topped above 5th node
Gator FIM'ed above 5th node
Middle Child Bondage only (LST, no cutting)
Song Sparrow Mainlining/fluxing (currently at 4 main shoots, waiting to top each to achieve 8)

pH and feeding
Yesterday watered with nutrients mix again, I saw some dry/discoloration on some leaf tips, not a lot though one or two leafs on each plant really.

Received my pH pen and calibration powder yesterday so have been testing the following.

Tap water @ 9.9
Nutrients mix @ 7.0
Runoff @ 7.9
(Kept the previous runoff as well and also measured @ 7.9)

Any feedback/concerns/advice on these levels are welcomed

Found a stranger eating my leafs
About 1-2 mm in size, appears different from the usual little flies I find every other day.
420-magazine-mobile1612309291.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1551672768.jpg

The 45 day old baby girls (or.. gulp.. boys) coming up next

Darkside
420-magazine-mobile1958622260.jpg

Definitely in the lead and winning my vote for future, preferred, training technique with topping above 5th.

As we can see it's growing fairly even and manageable, all the shoots are roughly the same size and length.
420-magazine-mobile1871886274.jpg

Slight discoloration here on Darkside's leaf
420-magazine-mobile1854104298.jpg

And something none of my other plants are showing signs of: it appears I have new growth coming from the spot my sucker leaves were before they turned and I cut them off.
420-magazine-mobile663384893.jpg

Gator Potator
420-magazine-mobile642535501.jpg

The FIM'ing technique I tried on my previous grow, not sure if I did it correctly that time, not sure I did it entirely correct this time around either..

We can see in this image below that it's not as nicely spaced, and not growing as evenly as Darkside at the moment. And quite honestly, it's so bushy / short that I'm struggling to get LST done here, but we'll manage.

420-magazine-mobile1736156794.jpg

Found some white discoloration on one leaf from Gator, doesn't appear to be on the surface but the leaf color itself. Will be keeping a close eye on Gator.
420-magazine-mobile349887765.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1109597749.jpg

Middle Child
420-magazine-mobile1836082316.jpg

This is the first plant I won't be cutting anything off of, I'm letting nature take it's course (except for the bondage and force feeding... I mean.. tie down and nute feeding)

MC's lower growth is much slower than Darkside and Gator, focused more on the top growth as we're seeing in the next photo as well which is, obviously, absent on D and G. MC is even sporting her first 9 leafer!

Doubt I'll be doing an "au naturel" any time soon again. Not indoors most likely, but for the sake of my self study, we will be doing MC.

420-magazine-mobile455993456.jpg

420-magazine-mobile765921210.jpg

Song Sparrow
420-magazine-mobile1212063669.jpg

The fluxing is a very slow process, I'm close to my final topping which after she can recover fully and focus on growth for the 8 colas it'll hopefully provide.

We'll see how this measures up to the other trainings.

420-magazine-mobile2114755973.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1793939329.jpg

Strange two parts of different leaves curling in the same fashion.. no idea what's causing this, but SS has had curly leaves since she sprouted.
420-magazine-mobile1855248548.jpg

Day 56!

Flushed on previous water session since they seemed to have a little bit of nute hurn going on with the edges browning on some leaves.

Because of this, I assume, they're holding water a bit longer, will probably only water/feed again next week sometime.

I still feel like this grow is going much slower than my previous one.

Darkside - Topped
Coming along nicely, removed all the big fan leaves from the main stem. So a slight defoliation.
420-magazine-mobile1784007992.jpg

Gator - Fimmed
Opening up a bit, not so tight anymore, getting more light to the whole plant now. Also defoliated slightly.
420-magazine-mobile1020271492.jpg

Middle Child - LST only
Growing a bit weird and uneven, definitely doesn't seem to be working as well as top/fim/flux. Did not remove any fan leaves.
420-magazine-mobile1153489691.jpg

Song Sparrow - flux/mainline
8 colas gaining on the rest of the grow, we'll see how this goes.
420-magazine-mobile288132957.jpg

Group Photo
420-magazine-mobile1288228640.jpg

A top-down comparison of the different techniques.

Top left - Darkside - Topped above 5th node
Top Right - Gator - FIM above 5th
Bottom left - Middle Child - LST tie only
Bottom Right - Song Sparrow - Mainlining (looking better and better every day)

420-magazine-mobile195334481.jpg

Another Feeding today

Nute mix pH @ 7
Runoff pH @ 7.6

I've installed a new DIY light fixture, more Lights, more heat. Seems I'm constantly battling to keep my temperature low 70s.
Near the 80s right now.
I've also made my passive intake bigger, hoping the negative pressure remains enough for the carbon filter.

get some cheap 120mm pc case fans, around 6 would do. 3 sucking fresh air below the plants and 3 sucking out hot air behind the plants/over the LEDs.
I've had Active Intake fans, circulation fans etc installed previously, for some reason that raises my temperature.

Best results I've had so far is passive intake bottom, and extraction at the top.

As soon as I add any other fans my temperature goes up.

if that's the case outside air is hotter or exhaus air is not getting out propperly. You can always buy a cheap CPU cooler to lower your lights temps but I don't know how KISS is that.
I've installed 2x pc fans for circulation, made the intake hole bigger and seems to have a decent airflow without too much temperature increase.

And they're loving the breeze.

Day 63 update

I haven't watered since the 14th, top soil is dry till just after 2nd knuckle. Going to give it another day or two?

Also... I might have done something stupid...

I threw them over to 12/12 yesterday by accident after having them in darkness for 36 hours - timer mishap, forgot to turn it back to auto after playing around. My immediate thought was to try and not shock it too much by going back to 18/6 immediately?

Are they too small/young to start flower? Can I and should I put them back to vegging?

Recommendations? Cool, thanks everyone :thumb:

Darkside - Top
Looking better, still has a slight clawing going on which makes me think nitrogen toxicity, I did however flush (8th) before the last feed (14th) almost 6 days ago and doesn't seem to be getting worse. (Now that I think about it, Darkside was also the first one I gave the ground up slow release fertilizer to (way back when it was still only about 2 or 3 nodes)... Also the only fertilizer I used in my previous grow when they suffered from the same.)
420-magazine-mobile213505299.jpg

420-magazine-mobile710284264.jpg

Gator - FIM
Now this one, to me, is one fine looking lady (as far as we know).
420-magazine-mobile1831275449.jpg

420-magazine-mobile539756665.jpg

Song Sparrow - Mainlining
This seriously seems like a decent grow method, especially if you have some fast growth (which unfortunately I don't see too much of with this grow). I love the look, it's so tidy, so open and uniform. We'll see how this pans out.
420-magazine-mobile1393627309.jpg

420-magazine-mobile476846908.jpg

Back
Top Bottom