What is your preferred method for removing chlorine or chloramine in tap water?

Thanks. If 1000mg would remove the chlorine or chloramine in 40 gallons of water then would 1/40 of 1000mg or like 25mg remove the chlorine or chloramine in 1 gallon of water? The 1/4 teaspoon is like 1000mg and I would likely do like 1/5 or 1/4 of the 1/4 teaspoon per gallon or like 1/2 of the 1/4 teaspoon for 4 gallons of water on there.

Thanks. If 1000mg would remove the chlorine or chloramine in 40 gallons of water then would 1/40 of 1000mg or like 25mg remove the chlorine or chloramine in 1 gallon of water? The 1/4 teaspoon is like 1000mg and I would likely do like 1/5 or 1/4 of the 1/4 teaspoon per gallon or like 1/2 of the 1/4 teaspoon for 4 gallons of water on there.

yes, one of our members recently was talking about using the powdered ascorbic acid that they purchased, 1/2 a teaspoon in a 5 gallon bucket. Claimed that it worked just fine.

Thanks. Then I would likely do around 1/20 of a teaspoon per half or full gallon of tap water on there. I use a 1/4 teaspoon and I do like 1/5 or 1/4 of that on there.

I have read that it is harder to remove chloramine from tap water but what methods do you use to remove chlorine or chloramine or both of those from your tap water? I have been letting the water sit out a few nights before using it to water the plants but I am going to start using a 5 gallon bucket to let the water sit in it.

I am able to smell the chlorine smell in the tap water and the water seems to have a lower chlorine smell after it sits out a few days on there.

Do you use a air bubble pump? How big? Does it need to be in the dark on there?

I read about using ascorbic acid vitamin c powder to neutralize the chlorine or chloramine in water. That sounds like it would be the easiest way to do it. How many of you do that? How much do you use per gallon on there for it?

I use a dual water filter. first half is sediment filter, then it goes into a granulated carbon filter and fill my 55 gallon barrel. I also use this filtered water in my Aquaponic fish tank directly to keep it topped off. The filter water does not adversely effect my fish.
I have a Re-circulating pump that pumps the water out a 1/2" fitting.
Hose connected to it and makes a loop back into barrel.
this adds aeration to the water and helps to remove chemicals in the water.
I also have an air pump putting air into the air stone in the barrel.
I test it in a few days and if any left I got a bottle of something from my local Hydro store that finishes removing the chemicals.

I've heard it said that a teaspoon of ascorbic acid in a tub of water is the amount needed to remove chlorine and chloramine.

That seemed rather obscure until I learned that a standard bathtub is 42 gallons, the density of ascorbic acid is 1.65g/mL and there are 4.92892159g in a teaspoon of water, which has a density of 1g/mL.

It follows, then, that 193.64mg will treat one gallon. Round to 2/10 of a gram and call it a day. That's more than I've been using so I'll be adjusting my routine.

I’ve just been using Prime which is used to remove chloramine and chlorine in fish tank water so as to not destroy beneficial bacteria in the filter. A couple of drops per gallon easy peasy. I have been using ph down to adjust ph to ideal, but think I’m going to try without for a while. I have been concerned about that killing microbes. I’m growing all organic.

I use tap water. There is an easier and more healthy path for your plants. Don't worry about chlorine or drying out the soil between waterings, just for the sake of the microbes. Simply supplement the microbes once a week or two. With this method you will have more microbes than ever, despite the quality of the water. Yes, there is so much info... internet gurus abound with this or that advice. The thing to learn here is that it is not all correct.

Great advice, I like it. The easier the better. May I ask how you have come by all your knowledge? You have some very good info for sure. I did see on one of your Journals that you were adding Great White for additional microbes. I have been using that as well. I made a couple of teas recently to feed them, but I think they may have been too hot.

Great advice, I like it. The easier the better. May I ask how you have come by all your knowledge? You have some very good info for sure. I did see on one of your Journals that you were adding Great White for additional microbes. I have been using that as well. I made a couple of teas recently to feed them, but I think they may have been too hot.
Great white is only to supply the Myco fungi, that are also essential to a grow. I use a similar product, and one that I feel is superior, definitely is cheaper, and it is the product of one of our sponsors, @DYNOMYCO. I am growing organically with @GeoFlora Nutrients, which along with the raw nutrients needed for the grow, also supplies a fresh set of microbes that process this food, with every 2 week application of the product. Before I moved to Geoflora, also a sponsor by the way, I was growing organically with the TLO method, using a supersoil in the bottom third of my containers, spikes and layers of raw nutrients, and actively aerated compost teas for my microbes. To prove it was possible, I powered one of these TLO grows using a microbial inoculation product called RealGrower's Recharge, similar to URB and Voodoo Juice that are available all around the globe, instead of using teas.

I grew up in the pot business watching my father and brother with their secret gardens and had my first garden when I was 14. Eventually I took over the family business and now in my 40's, I am a legal authorized medical provider and cultivator, with a solar powered grow center in my home.

I have read that it is harder to remove chloramine from tap water but what methods do you use to remove chlorine or chloramine or both of those from your tap water? I have been letting the water sit out a few nights before using it to water the plants but I am going to start using a 5 gallon bucket to let the water sit in it.

I am able to smell the chlorine smell in the tap water and the water seems to have a lower chlorine smell after it sits out a few days on there.

I read about using ascorbic acid vitamin c powder to neutralize the chlorine or chloramine in water. That sounds like it would be the easiest way to do it. How many of you do that? How much do you use per gallon on there for it?

I use a water filter manufactured in the US
. It is a solid compressed block of carbon element. it also has a UV light to kill the harmful buggies. I also use it for my Aquaponic Fish Tank grow set up. If The Administrator doesn't mind, I can provide the link for everyone to look at it.

If you're growing organic you might want to nuetralize chlorine/chloramine, simply because it will kill of SOME beneficial microbes, but studies have shown that the microbe population bounces back within 24-48 hours. If growing in non-organic soil, or coco, it really doesn't make much diffference. Other than water plants, chlorine/chloramines don't hurt plant growth. The best way to non-chemically remove chlorine/chloramines is by boiling the water for a few minutes. Use a turkey fryer and do several gallons at a time.

I just started using the Vitamin C myself. A pinch is all it takes with the added benefit that it lowers the ph. You can adjust how much you add by very little and get you ph exactly where you want it. My tap is at 8, but after a literal pinch 1/16 tsp, it’s at a perfect 6.5 with chloramine removed! This is definitely the way to do it! I just started an updated thread with this info!

I use a 5 stage Reverse Osmosis system. 2 of the stages are carbon block (chloro plus) filters which are said to remove chlorine and chloramines. In addition I use a R/O membrane, Deionizing resin filter and a 0.6 micron sediment filter. Only the carbon ones are said to work for chloramines. It takes my water from 450ppm and 8.5ph to around 5ppm and 7.0ph. Never tested it after to see if it actually removes the chlorine/chloramines, but it definitely works to remove the chlorinated smell from the water.

I've read that using humic acid can help (also good for chelating nutrient ions) but I would have to dig through my library of files to see where I read that info.

I refill my 5 gallon bucket after I water/feed. It will normally let it sit a couple days with lid off. This will evaporate the chlorine.

I refill my 5 gallon bucket after I water/feed. It will normally let it sit a couple days with lid off. This will evaporate the chlorine.

chlorine yes. apparently chloramine not so much. which is what all the hulabaloo is over.
most municipalities are switching to chloramine.

Back
Top Bottom