When to flush for a proper narcotic effect?

celticlyle

Hey guys and girls hope everyone is doing well on this fine start to the weekend!
So I Currently I have 4 girls in a 1x1x2 tent under the mars hydro fc 3000.
Strain is barneys farm Runtz Muffin, Indica dominant hybrid. 2 or 3 pheno's in the 4!
In coco/perlite, advanced nutrients coco safe line + boosters.
Fed daily to 30% run off and drained.
Basically I would love to have a really nice heavy narcotic feeling smoke for once. Last few times I chopped when all cloudy but this time I would like to have some heavy heavy smoke. Currently out of the 4 plants 3 of them have about 5% or UNDER amber tricomes. 1 is completely MILKY no ambers yet. I am currently feeding the last few days of the 2 weeks advised for the OVERDRIVE nutrient. I plan to flush for 5-7 days as Im in coco. My main question is when should I start to flush? as in how many days prior to harvest for say 30-40% amber trichomes? Any advice or help would be GREATLY APRECIATED. Thanks for reading and have a nice evening.

:roorrip:

Sorry for the grammar I am highly dabbed​

You could be flowering a long time waiting for 30 to 40% amber tricomes regardless of when to flush.

What do you mean by a heavy narcotic feeling smoke ?

trichome-status.jpg

Most modern growers have realized that it is an error to "flush" or starve your plants at the end. This is where they need more potassium and phosphorus than at any other time in the grow, hence the fact that many manufacturers make and sell "finishing nutes." We have also realized that this is one of the reasons that organically grown pot is so much better than pot grown on synthetic nutrients... because the plants have everything that they need in the soil, right up to the end.
Since you have been watering to 30% runoff, there should be no reason that anything should be building up in your coco, so the traditional use of the term "flush" (running 3x the container size of fresh water through the coco to clear the salts) should not be needed either.
For the best your buds can be... feed them right to the end... or at least the watering right before the end. When it is the actual end, they are not going to be able to use the nutes much anyway... save your money on that last watering. Other than that, continue feeding.

Feed to the end. Flushing can fix some soil problems for sure but it is a hydro tactic that spread like wildfire. Flushing does not exist in agriculture, vineyards or orchards or even in hippy organic vegan farming. You can’t wash nutes from your buds no matter how much you rinse the roots. It’s the progression of the trich maturity that changes effects.

Run them for several weeks at least (2 to 4 weeks - maybe more) beyond the point where you normally harvest.... maybe try staggered harvest on one plant - take the top colas when you are ready and let the mids and lowers continue ripening for another couple of weeks. Just be sure to bag and tag (label them properly) so in a few months from now you can look at the dates and compare taste and effect and learn about your personal preferences. Suggest you look at low & slow fridge curing in the Harvest Prep & Curing section under Forums

Flushing can fix some soil problems for sure but it is a hydro tactic

He is growing in coco. That’s hydro.

Sounds like the main question is - how long to leave the plant before harvest.
If you’re trying to get the maximum stoniness out of them, just leave them as long as you can. I’m not sure you’re going to see a huge difference in the effect but there should be some

You’re going to see when the plant is obviously getting too old. The fan leaves will all die off, then the sugar leaf will die back into the bud. That’s a good time to harvest.

After that the top bud will start to degrade and look old and dried out. Hopefully chop around then- before the top bud gets too ugly.

Don’t worry so much about the flushing. You can flush nearly everything out of coco in a day easily if that what you want to do. Three or four days later the plant will be running on empty.

You could be flowering a long time waiting for 30 to 40% amber tricomes regardless of when to flush.

What do you mean by a heavy narcotic feeling smoke ?
Ahh ok I was unaware as I have never left them this long before. I guess I shall wait for around 10-20% amber trichomes then flush as some THC will degrade further more in the curing process. I meant narcotic as in a heavy body stone. Thanks for the reply mate .

Most modern growers have realized that it is an error to "flush" or starve your plants at the end. This is where they need more potassium and phosphorus than at any other time in the grow, hence the fact that many manufacturers make and sell "finishing nutes." We have also realized that this is one of the reasons that organically grown pot is so much better than pot grown on synthetic nutrients... because the plants have everything that they need in the soil, right up to the end.
Since you have been watering to 30% runoff, there should be no reason that anything should be building up in your coco, so the traditional use of the term "flush" (running 3x the container size of fresh water through the coco to clear the salts) should not be needed either.
For the best your buds can be... feed them right to the end... or at least the watering right before the end. When it is the actual end, they are not going to be able to use the nutes much anyway... save your money on that last watering. Other than that, continue feeding.
I have seen a lot of people argue about this I was just scared to try and do it myself as I didn't want harsh tasting buds so I thought... This time I am very tempted to water till the ec run off is the same as the inflow as leave is for a day and then harvest. feeding till the end does certainly seem a more realistic way of doing it.. I guess 1 proper flush in coco on the final day or 2 would do it al really

Feed to the end, and before you harvest, let them sit in the darkness for 36 hours. You should see a good increase in trics.
I have a write up about it in my signature.

I have seen a lot of people argue about this I was just scared to try and do it myself as I didn't want harsh tasting buds so I thought...

I guess 1 proper flush in coco on the final day or 2 would do it al really

yeah I don’t think flushing is going to make any difference to the taste of your bud. There are reasons to flush but in this case I don’t think it’s gonna do what you think it might.

As for the feeding till the end thing- it just depends when ‘the end‘ is.

These plants slow, then eventually stop feeding and drinking in late flower. After they’re finished flowering they die.

If you’re leaving it very late like you say you want to do, then the plant will have pretty much stopped feeding by then. At that stage you can dump all the nutrients you want in to the pot- the plant is not going to be making use of them because it is nearly finished its life cycle.

Anyway gotta run- best of luck with it.

Thanks for all the reply's guys I appreciate it very much so. :ganjamon:
I am currently on day 60 from flip and have around 5% amber trichomes ( strain is Runtz muffin Barneys farm Indica DOM 56-63 day strain) I had planned to go for 70 days. I still have 4 more days of Advanced nutrients food with Overdrive then I had planned on flushing for a week with plain water. Now after reading all this I have decided to flush thoroughly right at the end final day or 2 before 36/48 hours darkness and CHOP. Do you think with 5% amber trichomes ill be ok to chop in 11 more days yet? Do the trichomes decay at a fast rate suddenly? I want a couch lock but also I don't want to kill all the THC. Thanks all in advance <3 :roorrip::hippy:

wait til about 10% amber if you can. there are some strains which won't really amber. you can actually lose trichomes and potency going too long. the trichomes themselves dry out and break off of the plant if they go too long.

you'll see it if you go too far.

wait til about 10% amber if you can. there are some strains which won't really amber. you can actually lose trichomes and potency going too long. the trichomes themselves dry out and break off of the plant if they go too long.

you'll see it if you go too far.
Thanks mate, I will wait for around 10% I am guessing that this would take a week rather than the 11 days i had planned?

Thanks mate, I will wait for around 10% I am guessing that this would take a week rather than the 11 days i had planned?

i just keep a scope on the plants near the end. finish dates are pretty arbitrary. usually get a wk or so to work on stripping and bringing them down once they are in the window.

Back
Top Bottom