White Russian soil grow from seeds

Ok, first I just want to say that I dont like the new uploading process. Only 1 photo at a time? i want it the old way. Anyway I uploaded 10 new photos from the plants at 14 days. Here we go...tell me what you think.

DSC00434rev.jpg

So I moved the pots out of the tub and moved them into this closet. I added the two floro tubes to each side to add as much light as possible. I now have 125W plus 2 25W tubes for around 175W. Hopefully this will speed up their growth some.

DSC00435rev.jpg

Heres a shot to show how far the lights are from the plants.

DSC00429rev.jpg

Ok...this is where I am getting worried. There are little spots on the leaves like this on 3 of the seedlings. Anyone have any ideas?

Now some more random pics...

DSC00424rev.jpg

DSC00425rev.jpg

You can see another little brow spot on the leaf on the right.

DSC00430rev.jpg

Purple stem!!

DSC00431rev.jpg

DSC00432rev.jpg

DSC00433rev.jpg

I know some of the pics aren't the best quality but Im just trying to give you an idea of what is goin on. The Jorge Cervantes book I have says that you can put 3 week old seedlings under a HID light at 24 to 36 inches away, so I am contemplating moving a couple under the 1000W MH after three weeks to see if they can handle it. They are growing slow for some reason, any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

OK, so I read up on Smokin.Moose's white widow grow and he gave his plants 1000W MH light right from seed. So I am going to try to put a few under it now and see how they do as apposed to the ones under the floro. I am aware that the soil will dry out more too. I will also mist them as soon as possible. I am here to learn. If I was going to foliar feed at all what are good products to start with. Dank used Fox Farm; Tiger Bloom and Grow Big. Europonic's Fossil Fuel, Hygrozyme and my favorite surfactant, Coco-wet. I havent started using nutes yet so should I foliar feed once a week for the next two weeks?

Superb set-up there berry, the babies look great and I love the way you got it all set-up, very efficient! I wouldn't worry to much about the brown spots, your seedlings should grow out of it. Just give em some time to get well established. I've had some pretty messed up seedlings b/f and they all seemed to grow right outta it (The new growth after that was green and healthy).

I don't see a problem w/ using the 1000w, like you said though, keep it 24 inches or more away b/c its so intense.

A little foliar feed wouldn't hurt once a week for now, just make sure its heavily diluted or quarter strength. Less is more! :cheesygrinsmiley:

Hope that answers your Q's :peace:

Thanks for the positive words BS420, and the help Smokin.Moose. Ok, so this is what I got going on now. Earlier today I cleaned out the closet that the 1000w MH is in. Vacuumed the room, scrubbed the walls with bleach, and put borax on the carpet(heard it would kill mite eggs and cause living mites trouble if they were trying to get in the room). So I have to go to the good ole home depot in the morning and get two more dryer vent hoses for ventilation. I really want to be able to keep the closet door shut but I think it will definately get too hot(thats why I plan to get a 400W when I can). I took the ballast and moved it outside the closet so I hope this will get rid of alot of the heat(or at least some of it.) I am also going to go to the grow store and get some FF grow big, and some fish emulsion and sea tea if they have it. The fish emulsions and sea tea is what Moose said I should use to foliar feed, but is there any way that I could use all three? Maybe dilute all of them to 1/4 strength and then mix it? I definately dont want to over do it.
Moose said to foliar feed every 5 days...maybe I should do 7 days if I use all three together, but I dont think I have ever seen sea tea there(at my grow store), so I will most likely be using just the two. Probably wouldnt be bad to foliar feed since I havent given any nutes to the soil yet, even though
I am also going to start giving superthrive every watering...dont know why I havent already, but since its not a nutrient, i figured it couldn't hurt. Probably 3 drops per gallon. BTW that reminds me, BS420, do you use tap water to water your plants or do you go to the store and get distilled water and use that...cause I have been using tap water and I dont know if its good or not.
Anyone, please feel free to give input on any of these ponderings that I have, I am just asking BS420 cause I am using all of the same techniques that he is...dont know if that is the word to use but you know what I am talking about.
Holy shit I just typed so much. Im so high I didnt even realize it...but thats the good thing about this site, i can let every idea out and experienced growers can let me know if its a good one or not.
Did I mention that growing bud is the best hobby ever. And this website is the best ever...yeah im still high. Im done for now. Ill holla later.

BS420, do you use tap water to water your plants or do you go to the store and get distilled water and use that...cause I have been using tap water and I dont know if its good or not.

I fill several gallon jugs w/ water from my fridge door, its filtered thats all I know. Once the water is room temp and sits for a few hours I use it. I let it sit for a few hours to let the chlorine, if any, evaporate. I haven't had an PH problems as far as I can see b/c the plants have shown no deficiences that resemble PH problems. I've done this for a few grows w/ no problems, could just be my states water though, heh. Hope this helps. :allgood:

I have a suggestion for you. The medium you are using will have enough nutrients for happy growth for the first month. Be very careful about adding additional nutes in the first month. I have seen too many grows go to shit because growers tried to use each and every nifty product on the market.
When I am fertilising in the first month, I only use a half strength solution with sea tea (seaweed tonic) the first two weeks. For one, my medium is a healthy organic mix, and the little seedlings can only take up so much. If you blast them, you can have a deleterious effect because the root system is tiny and fragile. When you think a plant is only in veg for a month or so, why add a shitload of stuff the plant will never be able to use.
Say you start with Foxfarm potting mix...This mix is highly nutritious and does not really need additives. I use fish emulsion to hurry the plant along, and the sea tea to stimulate root growth and overall vigour.
Trust me when I say have faith in your organic medium. Foxfarm can and will grow a plant to 24" in 28 days with only a hint of extra ferts.
I wish growers these days would just keep it simple. Start with a good rich medium for veg, and then, and only then, hit them with heavy duty flowering ferts. At this stage, the plant is more capable of coping with high dose ferts.
Looking at the seedlings in your images, I can already see signs of fert overdose. I would only use a light fish and seat tea from here on in until you are ready to flower. That way your plant will be robust and give you a good show of flowers, with no fears of overdoing the ferts.

Trust me when I say have faith in your organic medium. Foxfarm can and will grow a plant to 24" in 28 days with only a hint of extra ferts.
I wish growers these days would just keep it simple.

Yup thats 100% true, FF soil is a beast. I'd say no nutes the first 3-4 weeks. Mine had no problem growing with just the soil, 1ft+ in 4 weeks.

Ok, I just got back from the store and this is what I found...Ferti-lome Fish Emulsion Fertilizer(5%N, 1% p2o2, and 1% k2o) and Bush Master Sea Kelp Extract. Moose, is this the same type of sea tea you are referring too? The active ingredients in the Sea Kelp Extract is just that, 1.5% Sea Kelp(Ascophyllum Nodosum). Now, how much to feed? The fish emulsion has different amounts for different types of plants...Vegetables-1 tbs per 1 gallon water, Roses and flowers-2 tablespoons per gallon. So maybe I should use 1/2 tsp the first time then move up to 1 tsp? And for the sea kelp extract, it says 1 mL per gallon for plants that are 4 inches tall. So maybe I should use just 1/2 mL if I can measure it out. Sound good?

Yo momma! You got it bang on. You make the sea tea by putting 20ml in 10 litres of water. In the early days with the seedlings, this stuff is a great tonic for a fert stressed seedling, and it will foster good root growth. Don't start adding the fish ferts for at least a week. Apply the sea tea every 2 days for the first week and then go to 5 days between applications. After the first week add a half strength fish emulsion to the sea tea and apply as foliar feed and by root application. I find using a small spray bottle to do this a great help. Good job chasing it down. I bet after this grow you will swear by it.

Thanks so much for the help moose. Yeah, this stuff was 27 bucks for 4 oz so it better be good. I am sure it will be cause there is a big Caution note: More is not better! I will be mixing the solution in a 32 oz gatorade bottle which is .946 liters, so that would be roughly 2 ml or a little less, right. Will there be a problem if i let it sit in the spray bottle until it is all used up or should I mix it fresh every time? How many times will I want to give the fish emulsions by watering, just once or a couple, and do I also give the sea tea by watering...also when do I stop, when I flower? I will be using 1/2 tsp of the fish emulsion to when I start, then maybe move it up a tad later. Damn, I've got so many questions. I'm out now, going to give my first foliar feed ever. Im excited. I will take some pictures of the new set-up here in a little bit. Peace.

Damn, i also just went back to check the temp of the closet...85 degrees.:hmmmm: This really sucks cause I am doing everything I can, its just so damn hot down here right now its hard. What sort of problems might this temp deal make?

Sea tea only lasts 24 hrs once you have made it up. Make sure your dilution errs on the side of caution. The tea should only have a hint of colour if you hold it up to the light. Remember, it is a tonic, but anything in excess is fatal. Us poor old impatient stoners find it so hard to do nothing to our plants as we sit hour after hour and watch them lol.
First water I would only use the sea tea, foliar and root - just use your little hand sprayer. You don't need much. I would give a half strength fish fert feed on days 3 and 5. On day seven, increase the fish ferts to usual strength. By this stage your seedlings should be making good root growth and can cope better with feeding. The sea tea assists this recovery greatly.
Stop sea tea 10 days before expected harvest date, as there is potassium in sea tea and plants prefer less potassium at resin production time.
High temps can cause some stretching and can cause inadvertant fert burn due to the increased transpiration of the plant to cope with the heat. 85 degrees is high but not too bad. A fan can help. You have an advantage minimising your ferts and using sea tea, as both these things are must dos when temps get high. Sea tea is also a stress buffer.

Say you start with Foxfarm potting mix...This mix is highly nutritious and does not really need additives. I use fish emulsion to hurry the plant along, and the sea tea to stimulate root growth and overall vigour.

I wish growers these days would just keep it simple. Start with a good rich medium for veg, and then, and only then, hit them with heavy duty flowering ferts.

GREAT ADVICE. I've had good luck for years using good potting mix and fish emulsion. Until my current grow, that is. This grow has been a Comedy of Errors because I tried several new things against my better judgment. But I had to try. Now for my next gro I will go back to fish emulsion and find some of that sea tea. Thanks for getting me back on the right track.

Ok, I gave my first foliar feed of just the sea tea on Saturday. I am going to give one more today when I get done with this post. I am making 250 mL of solution, and adding 15 drops, 1/2 mL of sea tea. So Moose, you said to add the fish fert on day 3 and 5. Today is day 3 but i dont think my plants need to be watered yet cause I watered them on Saturday and got about a 35% run-off. So Should I use the fish ferd as a foliar? By itself or with the sea tea? And if I am using 1/2 tsp per gallon for the first couple of doses should I just make a gallon...will it stay good, or should I convert to a smaller amount with less fish fert if it will go bad? For now im just going to foliar feed them with the sea tea till I see what you say. By the way, I moved my light up to about 30 inches to help with the heat. My light emitts 80,000 lumens so they should still get plenty of light at this height right? As always thanks for the help.
Im also going to label the pots with numbers so I can keep track of them, and take pics to post. Peace.

By the way, I moved my light up to about 30 inches to help with the heat. My light emitts 80,000 lumens so they should still get plenty of light at this height right? As always thanks for the help.
Im also going to label the pots with numbers so I can keep track of them, and take pics to post. Peace.

Your plants should be fine seeings how they are still young. I would imagine they are still going to efficiently grow with 30 inches between them and the light.

You mentioned the heat getting up to 85F.... That shouldn't be a problem at all my plants grew @ 85F the whole time, sometimes evenhigher with absolutly no problems. Just hang a fan or two right under the light and have the air blowing toward the door of the closet/grow area, this will push most of the heat right out b/f it gets to your tops.

Numbering your pots is a great idea, I do it everytime and it just makes things more organized and a bit easier.

:allgood:

I think they will be fine too, especially since the temp has stayed around 80 now that I moved the light up. I do have 2 fans going too. 1 blowing air around in the room and 1 blowing cool air from outside the room into the room. I took a bunch of pics too, just waiting for them to be approved.

Back
Top Bottom