White Russian soil grow from seeds

Ok, after 2 waters and foliar feeds with just sea tea, I want you to do something that will help you greatly to understand your medium. Next watering, allow a small amount of flow through to the base and collect it in a small jar. Take that jar to your nearest hydro store and get them to check your Electrical Conductivity (EC) levels, and also your Total Disolved Salts (TDS).
At your stage of growth you want an EC of about 1.2 or 1.3, or a ppm (parts per million) of about 1200. If the outflow from your medium tests higher than that you will know not to add ferts. Lower than that, then add ferts.
Anything higher than an EC of 1800 and you are in dangerous levels and can caused fert burn.

Ok, after 2 waters and foliar feeds with just sea tea, I want you to do something that will help you greatly to understand your medium. Next watering, allow a small amount of flow through to the base and collect it in a small jar. Take that jar to your nearest hydro store and get them to check your Electrical Conductivity (EC) levels, and also your Total Disolved Salts (TDS).
At your stage of growth you want an EC of about 1.2 or 1.3, or a ppm (parts per million) of about 1200. If the outflow from your medium tests higher than that you will know not to add ferts. Lower than that, then add ferts.
Anything higher than an EC of 1800 and you are in dangerous levels and can caused fert burn.

DAMN, didnt know you could do that, I always figured you'd need one of those expensive ass meters. I wish I had a hydro-shop/growshop around here so I could take my run-off to get tested! I HATE MY TOWN!!!!! BaH:smokin:

Thats great advice moose, unfortunately I have no time to do that today and my plants need to be watered. I just watered with 10 ml (of sea tea, no fish fert) to 1 gallon and then just sprayed them with plain water(no foliar feeding today). Hopefully I will have enough extra cash to go get a EC and TDS meter in a couple of days, i have planned on getting one but just never have. I will do my first fish fert feeding next watering if everything goes well with this watering. The plants are looking so much better already too, im glad to say. Pictures tomorrow!!

Yeah, i was planning on just keeping the strongest female and then cloning her so I have 2 mothers. The cloning gel I use is Olivia's Cloning gel, its the best that I have found so far, i normally have a 100% success rating with it. I just hope these aren't hard to clone like the BubbleGums I got from Serious Seeds. I really am thinking about keeping some pollen of a male and trying to cross the WR with my Blueberry. My own strain, that would be intense. Ill have to read up on how to cross. Hopefully there are pics soon.

I'm glad to hear that you use Olivia's, I planned on buying just that b/c of the price and the good things I've heard from other growers. How long does 2 ozs last you? I would imagine it lasts a good while, doesn't seem like you'd need to much to do a 10 plants.... I've never cloned b/f if you didnt already know :cheesygrinsmiley:

Dude, cloning is one of the easiest things to do if you know how. GET A CLONE DOME!! It is really a must if you hope on getting 100% success. Ive been doing this for about 2 years and I have used 1 1/4 bottles so yes, it defonately lasts a long time. Since you have never cloned before, ill give you a rundown on how I do it. I soak 1 inch rockwool cubes in pH balanced water for 30 minutes. I have used nutes in the soak solution and I dont think it helps, or I at least couldnt tell if it did. I normally make a gallon to soak the cubes in, and I put about 3 drops of Superthrive in there for good measure. Do you know how and where to cut clones...its kind of hard to explain without pics. Let me find some :hmmmm:.............................:bongrip:here we go:

herewegrow0491.jpg

herewegrow0501.jpg

This shows you about how much to cut for your clone.

herewegrow0511.jpg

Good example...

herewegrow0271.jpg

Trim the leaves all the way to the node...you might have 1 branch on each side, or just one side, it doesent matter. After the leafs are trimmed off, I cut a 45 degree angle about a 1/2 centimeter below the node. You want the node to be in the rockwool because thats where the roots will come from.

herewegrow0541.jpg

Thats basically what it will look like after it is all trimed and ready to be put in the rooting gel.

Then I take a rockwool cube and squeeze some of the water out of it, you want it to be wet but not drenched. Wiggle the end of the cutting around in the rooting gel and then take it out and put it in the hole in the rockwool. Make sure the node is in the rockwool and your all set to go. Then you place the clone in the clone dome and repeat till you have all your clones. Then mist them and put on the cover and no need to touch for like 4 or 5 days. Then put more water on the rockwool and mist again, they should be rooted in like 10 days. Could take as long as 21 but good ones take 10-14 for me. I had a couple show roots on 8 or 9 days last time.

Damn I write alot when Im high. Hopefully my pics will be ready soon. And BTW, these arent my pics I just posted.
Peace

PS- Just ask if you need any more tips bro.

Sweet tutorial! Im aware of the whole process, I've actuall been studying it for the last 6 months or so... I've taken test cuts just to get a feel for how/where to cut the plants and I even managed to root a few cuts naturally in rockwool w/o rooting solution. It took about 2 weeks but it worked! I'm pretty sure I can do it w/ no problems if I have a gel and a dome, just gotta find that one to clone first, lol. Thanks a bunch dude, much appreciated, as always!!! :cheesygrinsmiley:

DSC00440plant3.jpg

DSC00442plant5.jpg

DSC00443plant6.jpg

DSC00444plant7.jpg

Prime examples of plants suffering from `hot ` soil , what soil are you using ?
Bet your soil is warm to the touch too. Would explain the spots,crinkle leaves and slow growth.
You might want to raise your light and add a fan. Roots don't like warmth and spurs the plant to be more susceptiple to disease.
Once the canopy fills out more you can lower the light again but try to get out of the 85F range.
Nice seed choice, I always been a fan of Simon's at serious seeds.

Good. Hot soil can be a real killer and really slows growth. Guess its just a heat issue. I even have a hard time with the heat this time of year and heat compromises yeild.
Ocean Forest has enough ferts for over a month of growing. Its not really made for germing seedlings but is a very respected soil in our community and is great for all other stages of growth.
You might want to use a potting soil with no nutes for germing next time. You can shave a week of veg and have a less chance of burning the seedlings.
Foliar feeding should be done sparingly to help promote vigorous root growth.
This is more true with clippings after rooting but the same still applys to plants from seed.

Foliar spraying at the very beginning of the germing cycle is highly recommended to help keep seed shells from sticking to the head of the plant.
Having the medium tighter or planting the seed deeper with a always moist medium is still the best prevention.

I was thinking real hard today on why beensmokin's plants are so much bigger than mine and he does everything the same that I did. Or I should say I copied him, but I think I know what the problem is. He put his seeds in rockwool and then in the Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil...I made the mistake of putting them straight into the soil so I believe that they are getting to many nutes too early. Im not going to give any more sea tea for a while until I see them start to do better. Will this hurt the genes of the plants and decrease the chances of getting a good mother?

Your gentics will not be damaged, so if the plant grows healthy, it should make a great mother. A hot soil is only an environmental factor, not a mutagenic causant. Misting the plants frequently with a mister spray bottle works wonders in the early days. Think of it as you out in a burning sun, and you give your face a quick mist of water...refreshing and revitalising. That's what your plants are saying lol.
Also spray aound the base of the seedling as well, not enough to saturate, but rather to keep the medium around the tiny roots from drying out and stressing the plant. Always remember that cool spray on the face analogy. You can do that to refresh you plants right through the grow cycle, only ceasing as heads start to fill. The plants will think it's Xmas.

Im glad to hear that I can still get a good mother even though I messed up in the beginning. I do mist the plants with plain water at least 3 times a day. I cant wait till they get good enough roots for them to start growing faster. They already look better, hopefully my pics will get approved soon. Peace.

I was thinking real hard today on why beensmokin's plants are so much bigger than mine and he does everything the same that I did. Or I should say I copied him, but I think I know what the problem is. He put his seeds in rockwool and then in the Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil...I made the mistake of putting them straight into the soil so I believe that they are getting to many nutes too early. Im not going to give any more sea tea for a while until I see them start to do better. Will this hurt the genes of the plants and decrease the chances of getting a good mother?

Thats a good point, I never though of that ha, that rhinos been kickin my ass, lol. I usually pot my seedling when I get a couple roots sticking outta the rw cube so that they have an established root system, I find it makes a healthier, stronger plant rather than straight to soil. I used rapid rooters for a few of my new bagseeds, I was skeptical at first but I like em a bit more than the rw cubes now, heh. Got a huge bag of 72 of em for near free ($1.90, I'm the freebie masta!:smokin:) and it even came with a 20"x10" tray and a lil 3" dome to cover it plus 12 of those lil six pack trays for em... works great for seeds but the dome is to short for clones :smokin: Cant wait for the pics bro :peace:

Back
Top Bottom