Bluter's Happy Home For Hilarious Hempsters

Lincoln makes a good welder but I always preferred Miller. CL🍀

i actually like miller too but the lincoln price i couldn't pass on when i bought it.

the build continues

full

they don't seem to have any quit. the pistils are starting to brown in well and i'm coming into the harvest window. i've starting tracking the trichs, nothing over exciting so far, they'll need to mature a bit yet.

this is my problem child gelato.

full

it's insane how built it is. the thing is crazy healthy for a plant battling mites. i decided early on to let it run as they all should have had them by the time i found the issue. the infection seems localized, even on the plant itself, it's odd how the rest haven't broken out the same.

timing for chop will be tricky because of this one. i'm running a hotshot to keep the mites down and i need another wk to two, but i want to pull it at least a wk before chop to let any chemical clear.

plan is to pull it when i feel i'm close enough and let the plants sit another wk to finish amber. none of the other plants are showing mite damage (yet) which i find real curious. i'm close enough to done that it won't be too much trouble. i'll have to do a bud wash as well.

my other gelato won't stop.

full

it woulda been a keeper for sure if i was doing a clone run. it's building big bulbous shaped buds as opposed to a spear shape. the thing won't stop pushing new pistils even as the old ones mature out. it might wanna go longer than the rest and i'm hoping i can get it far enough to finish well.

everything about the acapulco gold is classic. these things are dank.

full

colour, shape, smell, everything about them says classic plant. they're easy enough to grow i'd recommend them as a first grow for new folk. they put on enough weight that i've had to stake and tie a few branches. i'd also do a deeper defol if i grew them again. the acapulco look ahead of the gelato which might get pushed to an early chop when these finish.

i've been on paranoid nanner patrol for a bit and did snip something i found questionable. i should have taken a pic but i did it almost reflexively, and it was probably nothing. if anything else shows i'll grab a pic.

i'm real happy with the addition of the h202 in my mix. i'm fairly certain it's helped keep them all healthier in the extra heat of this summer. i wouldn't be surprised if it helped in the mite issue as well.

current mix is :
8L ro
12ml calmag
10g MC
2g BE
10ml h202
feeding daily.

my rh% is yo-yoing depending on the transpiration when i feed, but it's mostly dry. i've been averaging in the 35 - 42% range, with upward spikes in the low 60's. temps this past wk have been more livable in 24 - 28c range, but we've had jumps all the way to the mid / high 30's and a few low 40's. it's mostly settled now which helps.

i'm real happy with how they are doing. they are actually a fair bit better than i was expecting for a summer grow.

i been off and on the road for the past couple wks. i was back this past monday but didn't see the plants until tuesday, of course the plants marked my absence by going to shit.

here's the last shot of them standing ..

full

i was maybe a wk out from chop, they had developed fantastic with some of the densest buds i had produced in a while. when i opened the grow space door i could tell something was off just through the odour alone.

after a short time checking i found this.

full

mold dammit ! a closer inspection turned up a bit more.

1910772-e62a36b26f70f6683d5493e21a1e2f28.jpg

it's been literal years since i've gotten bud rot. the rh here is almost always too low for it to catch. i immediately went in to a stampy feet mad rage lol.

my rh had been sitting in the mid 30's to low 40's and it just didn't make a pile of sense. i had spikes but nothing above the low 50's, i think my high side spike was 56%.

i checked the environment monitor, the current rh was certainly safe but wow something had happened.

full

both a pile of dried condensation and a number that shouldn't be there. gave the monitor a quick clean and confirmed my suspicions.

full

my rh high side had spiked way in to the dangerous zone. i've no idea how long it was there or why, but it couldn't have possibly got there without the exhaust fan failing or being turned off for a significant period.

exhaust and everything was running fine when i left and was operating when i returned. so far i've not had an explanation.

i pulled the plants and made a quick mold eating spray using the same basic things as a bud wash in higher concentrations.

full

this will not eradicate the mold but it will halt the surface spread. the rot is actually in the bud itself and spreads from the inside out.

i could have survived the rh spike(s) and avoided the mold if i had ran a larger fan above the plants instead of the two 6 inchers i run under the canopy. the smaller fans are ok for my winter grows which are even drier than what i see in summer here. the 10% rh low side is typical of what i normally get.

i cut a bunch of bad bud out when i sprayed, gave them a last feed and put them back in the room to dry before pulling the plug on the grow the next day.

wednesday morning i gave them a quick rough trim and pulled more affected bud out, then chopped and hung the rest. i lost piles, probably the equivalent of 3 - 4 ounces worth of dry weight, maybe more.

carnage photo

full

at least a third of that is lost bud. i'm expecting to lose another 2 - 4 ounces at final trim. final trim is going to be a nightmare as i'll have to go through it super careful. i'll probably wind up with 2 -3 ounces out of what would have been close to a pound or more grow.

closer look at the bud rot

full

it took out most of my best tops.

they all got a bud wash at chop using the lemon juice and h202. i also did a final rinse with h202 alone.

full

adding moisture to something with mold in a bud wash may seem counter intuitive, but the bud actually has a tendency to dry faster with one than if it's not done. don't know why for sure, but it is something that has been noted by others.

all hung up

full

i flagged the gelato and hung it with more space than the acapulco gold as it was hit harder and i figured it could use the room for air. it's been hanging for a couple days, the first 36 hrs i ran the exhaust fan constant, now i'm watching room rh and running it about half the time. i've got the 2 six inchers going underneath as well.

still looks not bad considering how much bud is already missing, but i expect to lose piles more at final trim.

since i had one handy i'll include a shot of a hempy bucket root ball if anyone's interested.

full

it's kinda interesting how it manages to lock up so much of the media.

will post up how things go at final trim. i'm disappointed in the grow result but i'm real impressed with how the plants performed until disaster happened. i'm likely gonna start another grow soon and do either two or three of either the acapulco or gelato alone. i'm impressed enough with how they did to want another run with one of these.

Damn, that sucks.
Was there a power outage maybe?

it's kinda what i'm thinking. there were power failures on 4 separate days i was gone, but it would have needed the light and heat it created to drive those numbers that high, so it doesn't make a pile of sense.

no matter the cause they obviously never got enough air circulation after the spikes to dry up proper.

i'm trimming today and it's like sadness inc... lol :p

tossing as much or more than i'm keeping, and i let it dry too far as i didn't want the mold to spread during hang.

It sucks so bad to have to keep chucking stuff as you trim. :( I hope you ended up with enough good stuff to keep you going though!

it's been an awful trim so far. i'll post a pic when done. i'm easily losing 50% or more, and i could easily lose a full jar or two more during cure if enough bad stuff didn't get removed.

baaad bud .. oh yeah baby we got baaad bud ..

full

bite me taylor lol :cheesygrinsmiley:
that's about 2/3 of a 5L bucket of bone dry rock solid well fucked up bud.

i probably lost a little over 50%. 3/4 or more lost was the gelato, and it was only 2 of 5 plants. it was super dense. the acapulco gold made out much better, so well i would call it mold resistant, but it had a much more open structure.

full

the un labeled jars are the acapulco gold. pretty much lost all the best tops and half of the main colas in both strains. could still lose a jar or two if i didn't clean it out so good.

What is QWET?
Quick Wash with EThanol. It's an extraction method of stripping just the trichomes from the flowers using 190 proof alcohol.

Grandpa Tokin has a great thread on it:

Generally, when doing hydro using R/O water, you need to add cal-mag.
"Calmag" generally consists of calcium nitrate, magnesium nitrate and iron chelate. If this is already in the plant food in adequate amounts why would adding more be of any benefit use? You don't get better results by the "kitchen sink" approach and mentality?

Generally you don't need "Calmag" in pure water cultures running a COMPLETE plant food. If you need to add it as a pH buffer you're better of using other buffers for other added benefits in pure water culture. It's all about what's in the actual plant food and I don't think adding "Calmag" should be a general rule without doing any of your own research about the products you're currently using and what they contain to even be able to make a proper judgement.

Cannabis is the only plant crop marketed needing 7+ different product for optimal growth. It's ridiculous, if you go to the hydro store they will tell you you need everything on the shelves and then try to sell you even more when you come back with problems.

"Calmag" generally consists of calcium nitrate, magnesium nitrate and iron chelate. If this is already in the plant food in adequate amounts why would adding more be of any benefit use? You don't get better results by the "kitchen sink" approach and mentality?

Generally you don't need "Calmag" in pure water cultures running a COMPLETE plant food. If you need to add it as a pH buffer you're better of using other buffers for other added benefits in pure water culture. It's all about what's in the actual plant food and I don't think adding "Calmag" should be a general rule without doing any of your own research about the products you're currently using and what they contain to even be able to make a proper judgement.

Cannabis is the only plant crop marketed needing 7+ different product for optimal growth. It's ridiculous, if you go to the hydro store they will tell you you need everything on the shelves and sell you more when you come back with problems.

i run RO which pretty much dictates using some calmag. my base water is only 7 or 8 ppm at most.

most nute companies assume some calmag content in the base water, many don't add any at all, others have different formulas for various water conditions. it's common in europe to buy nutes that way. just look at the conversations uk growers have.

the nute i use brings some calmag with it, but most grows show a mild need for some from about mid veg forward. i never run more than a half dose, usually more like a third.

edit : i grow by a read on the plants and that's what i react to.

i run RO which pretty much dictates using some calmag. my base water is only 7 or 8 ppm at most.

most nute companies assume some calmag content in the base water, many don't add any at all, others have different formulas for various water conditions. it's common in europe to buy nutes that way. just look at the conversations uk growers have.

the nute i use brings some calmag with it, but most grows show a mild need for some from about mid veg forward. i never run more than a half dose, usually more like a third.

edit : i grow by a read on the plants and that's what i react to.
I solved the innate pH problems with MegaCrop adding potassium silicate as a pH buffer. That's running RO without adding Cal-mag in DWC and Aero with two different batches and formulas. I haven't experienced any major problems running this way for the last 5 years.

Jacks, Floraflex, MegaCrop and many others nutrient brands have a lot of Ca/Mg already added to the formula. You never saw any "Calmag" products on the shelves 30 years ago and I believe people grew just as healthy plants back then.

I'm wondering if you have tried changing your formula adding silicate or other pH buffers and tried skipping the Calmag all together?

I solved the innate pH problems with MegaCrop adding potassium silicate as a pH buffer. That's running RO without adding Cal-mag in DWC and Aero with two different batches and formulas. I haven't experienced any major problems running this way for the last 5 years.

Jacks, Floraflex, MegaCrop and many others nutrient brands have a lot of Ca/Mg already added to the formula. You never saw any "Calmag" products on the shelves 30 years ago and I believe people grew just as healthy plants back then.

I'm wondering if you have tried changing your formula adding silicate or other pH buffers and tried skipping the Calmag all together?

there's a couple growers here who do something similar. also seen growers elsewhere mention it plays nicer with some silica.

there's a few things about MC that i always found questionable. but it's performed well enough i adapted, and the ease of use can't be beat.

Back
Top Bottom