Brightlight's Strain Fest: Organics & LED

re: Brightlight's Strain Fest - Organics & LED

DEAD BANANA
Thugpug Genetics's Dead Banana is my 1st Deathstar strain. For those of you who aren't familiar w/ DS, it is a clone only strain from Ohio....Sour Diesel x Sensi Star. It was developed ~early 2000's but held very tightly. I had been on personal watch/search for a DS cross in seeds for at least 7 yrs before getting DB. Dead Banana is DS x Banana OG. Breeder @gromer is MI based & former Green Gage Group tester. He said to expect very Deathstar dominant plants. I usually like the early raw uncured high but not so much w/ this DB. Accustomed to the energized mind effects of both SD & SS, the early DB was nothing like that. Instead it was high octane pure indica body power with not much else. So I wasn't reaching for it much...mostly using it for late night lifts since it would always supply a good jolt even after going through multiple bowls of other stuff. A couple of days ago I decided to start off fresh with DB & go all night with her. Much different after a month+ cure. The SD & SS mental aspects are back blending nicely with strong body effects. No ceiling even after 4 bowls. Crisp mental focus/energy coupled with extreme relaxed contentment. Really ripped.

One of my better all around efforts....looks, taste, smell, smooth & soft inhale. Plant fragrance was 10 of 10...yes that good. Intensely floral, sweet skunk, OG fuel...all together. Dank OG type taste. Exceptionally smooth, mild inhale. Some expansion but not a cougher. Golf ball style buds w/ gnarly foxtailing at the end. Lots of deep color....dark green, purple, black. Good yielder. One maybe two laterals had a few seeds on lower buds & also a few late bloom manners sprinkled around. Even with these small negative issues, this plant was a keeper. If you want to reach extreme levels of being high, this genetic is in the conversation. Honest...no exaggeration whatsoever.

Dead Banana harvest time & dried bud pictures.
IMG_306818.jpg
IMG_313915.jpg

:circle-of-love: :Namaste:

Morning Brightlight, The dead bananas look fantastic!
Im wondering about hermies in general, will they pollinate everything around it? just pull off the hermie parts and let it grow??
Great Day!

Morning Brightlight, The dead bananas look fantastic!
Im wondering about hermies in general, will they pollinate everything around it? just pull off the hermie parts and let it grow??
Great Day!

Good questions 4D. Fortunately I don't get hermies often so no expert on it....& damn sure don't want to become an expert on it. I got a few seeds on the recent Dead Banana & the Gelato/Dosido but none on the other 5 plants in that grow. I'd pull them off if I saw them, but usually I don't even see them. They tend to form down the laterals right at the juncture of where a lower bud grows out from the stem...so unless one really inspects very carefully & often, which I don't, then they can easily go unnoticed. I'm guilty of not stripping the bottom growth up far enough, which I'm going to change.

Theoretically the male pollen can drift/spread to other plants in the tent but I've never used the small circulation fans that are so popular with growers. My exhaust fan's cfm will easily evacuate & replace the air in the tent every 1-2 minutes w/o causing any visible air movement so for me no need for the small fans.....so better conditions to not spread pollen if any is present.

:Namaste:

Yeah, hermies will dust anything nearby. I've had several over time, and I use a couple fans in the bloom room, but it still doesn't travel everywhere - mostly the nearest plants and mostly the near side, but it's still a very unwelcome thing. Late-bloom nanners, on the other hand, aren't usually fertile if that's what we're talking about. Those I just pluck off if I see them and I've rarely had more than a few mysterious seeds turn up.

Those are gorgeous plants Rad. I've never tried BG, but I have a freebie seed I'm saving for later. Chems seem to blend well w/ just about anything, but down the line I hope you grow & try a pure Chem. Then you may get hooked like some of us. :tokin:

Weed snob alert:

I'm a Chemdawg fanboy, I admit it... I grow out variations of it too ... the taste: Chemdawg ... It's pretty good, hard to beat really. Doesn't matter the color of the leaves at the end in the jar, BRIGHT green nugs smells danky sweet/chem & tastes like the smell of mr clean or PineSol ... followed by mouth numb and laughter shortly after.. That combo is special .. so far its my fav and I'm really a sativa lover at heart.

I remember Bl you dont use a circ, fan but I figured thats mainly because you use LED? I probably dont need it until warm weather myself but I figure it makes them stronger? I also read where the circ. fan helps to keep bugs from spreading, its also a bud deterrent?
Thanks Brightlight. 4D

Top of the day to ya Bright ...and friends:)
About "circ fans"....please do not omit them in your GR....a good rule of thumb is to have them come on when the sun does but keep the exhaust fan/filter running 24/7/365. During mid to late bloom i leave the smaller 'canopy' fan on to keep a good airflow around the thick colas 24hrs. Cheers Bright, brothas,....and sistas. :circle-of-love:

Although I've had plenty of those low hidden sacks on Femmed Chem seed plants, very rarely do I see them in the clones - even if I leave the lower growth where they like to sprout.

That's the best dam dead banana I've ever seen, and a heck of a nug shot. Another one for the list :circle-of-love:

Thanks Duggan, Ive got a cheap timer, Im puttin the circ fan on so it comes on with the sun. Great to know.
Caretaker great info! So that means its good to defoil and clear all the lower stuff on feminized seeds especially?
I know you people are all familiar with great herb!! My Sour Diesel is incredible now cured and I cant wait for more fire!!
Great Day!

Thanks Duggan, Ive got a cheap timer, Im puttin the circ fan on so it comes on with the sun. Great to know.
Caretaker great info! So that means its good to defoil and clear all the lower stuff on feminized seeds especially?
I know you people are all familiar with great herb!! My Sour Diesel is incredible now cured and I cant wait for more fire!!
Great Day!

Dutchess, gettin things proper,....great to see:) Cheers.

I remember Bl you dont use a circ, fan but I figured thats mainly because you use LED? I probably dont need it until warm weather myself but I figure it makes them stronger? I also read where the circ. fan helps to keep bugs from spreading, its also a bud deterrent?
Thanks Brightlight. 4D

Nothing wrong w/ circulation fans as maintaining optimum air flow is good. LED's generally cooler than HPS but still hot. I rely on my exhaust fan...running full blast it will exchange air in my flower tent in ~20 seconds. LED plants often appear "stouter" than HPS...with thicker branching & less elongation so less need to strengthen stems via blowing the air around. In my experience plenty of Ca & a bit of Si will keep most stems plenty strong. :passitleft:

Nothing wrong w/ circulation fans as maintaining optimum air flow is good. LED's generally cooler than HPS but still hot. I rely on my exhaust fan...running full blast it will exchange air in my flower tent in ~20 seconds. LED plants often appear "stouter" than HPS...with thicker branching & less elongation so less need to strengthen stems via blowing the air around. In my experience plenty of Ca & a bit of Si will keep most stems plenty strong. :passitleft:

Yeah buddy.. never enough air flow... Even the Borg (spider M___) can't handle it.. I run fans and filters 24/7/365. The problem not running them is too much built up RH after lights out when the temps cool ... the RH naturally goes up. I get nervous when its over 50% at night in late flower.

LUTHER DOGMAN X TRAINWRECK
A little story behind this one. Motarebel's Luther Dogman is a strain I wanted the minute I came across it. As mentioned it's Chem 4 x Sensi Star. I figured w/ his stellar rep. he'd surely have an authentic & quality Chem4 & same w/ his Sensi Star. Plus this is the old '95 Sensi Star that's long gone but still highly valued & held tightly in breeding circles. Only regs but I didn't care. But I was too late...long gone everywhere. Luckily CH9 seems to have an ongoing connection w/ Motarebel & got a LD cut that was bred to its Trainwreck. I've never liked TW much & have run across more than a few others who feel the same about it. For me it's not comfortable, an uneasiness, a bit edgy & tweaky. Strange considering its genetics.

The TW effect shows up early & is quite pronounced but for me it happily calms down & does gives some ongoing energy to the 4 & SS. Overall not as cerebral as straight Chems or new SS yet good overall effect & potency. Confirmation that Motarebel has a very good 4 & the old SS seems worthy of its rep. Noticeably more narcotic than the new formulation I'd say. Fuel, lemon cleaner tones but not a real strong smeller. Mild smooth cool inhale w/ some flavor. Long lasting. An overall likable strain.

This plant will be remembered for its frost making me wonder if it is the strain or just this plant? A real frostitute if I've ever seen one.

Bud at harvest & dried buds.
IMG_312221.jpg
IMG_315521.jpg
IMG_315316.jpg

:circle-of-love::Namaste:

I was just reading through and saw the led conversation.

20170212_202754.jpg

Cree cxb 3590s-3500k×12.. meanwell drivers.. best light ever.

It blocks out the shadow..

Looking great, you used the CREE LED not full spectrum LED , do you mean that the CREE white 3500K led is better than the full spectrum led (multi-spectrum)?
Sean

I was just reading through and saw the led conversation.

20170212_202754.jpg

Cree cxb 3590s-3500k×12.. meanwell drivers.. best light ever.

It blocks out the shadow..

I thought about using wood to make a bud support device but was told woods no good and use pvc? Wood is easier to work with and glad to see youve got it in your grow. Not sure what Im using quite yet but nice to see my options.
Brightlight the Trainwreck looks fantastic!!!
Great Day!!!

Back
Top Bottom