Candy Cane Auto Journal - First Grow

I was hoping to keep at 22 through out the rest of the grow. Do you think it will be ok once the plant stretches and gets closer?

You mean space wise.. lol, I think it looks like you'll probably be ok with that, assuming you have say 20" more you can raise the lights. If anything though you may want to try like 20" (in day or two) to see effects now and to keep'em short before they stretch...but only if your really tight on room.
I'm fearful of going lower than say 18" regardless of heat, but if there is a time to do where the plants should be able to handle it better it it'll be in flower. Like you, I'd like to keep mine around that 22-24'ish figure. Mine have now grown into the 24'ish range and I'm not gonna move the light up till I see a little bit of bleaching or they hit that 21-22" area at which point I'll try to maintain about that level pending other factors. I have 21-23" of additional space atm to move my lights up and my WW will probably be about 7" tomorrow so I'll probably make it...we'll see. Kind of winging it with my lights, I'm afraid to burn them, and then I'm a afraid of wasting time\energy by not having them close enough... though in my case I needed both (particularly CCane) to actually add some height which why I've not tried lower yet. IDK if any of that makes sense. lol

You mean space wise.. lol, I think it looks like you'll probably be ok with that, assuming you have say 20" more you can raise the lights. If anything though you may want to try like 20" (in day or two) to see effects now and to keep'em short before they stretch...but only if your really tight on room.
I'm fearful of going lower than say 18" regardless of heat, but if there is a time to do where the plants should be able to handle it better it it'll be in flower. Like you, I'd like to keep mine around that 22-24'ish figure. Mine have now grown into the 24'ish range and I'm not gonna move the light up till I see a little bit of bleaching or they hit that 21-22" area at which point I'll try to maintain about that level pending other factors. I have 21-23" of additional space atm to move my lights up and my WW will probably be about 7" tomorrow so I'll probably make it...we'll see. Kind of winging it with my lights, I'm afraid to burn them, and then I'm a afraid of wasting time\energy by not having them close enough... though in my case I needed both (particularly CCane) to actually add some height which why I've not tried lower yet. IDK if any of that makes sense. lol
That's the problem, I don't have any more space to keep going up. Only down. So of she grows taller then I may end up right on top of her with the led. I may need to get a taller tent. I think my grow will be some regular seeds of everything goes good with this grow. I'll just use this tent for vegetation and the new one for flowering.

I've had my LEDs as low as a foot without any real issues. Not really on purpose. Some of my plants got pretty tall so I would put them to the side. I don't think its a problem and worth it if you are focusing on the lower buds. If you examine your plants regularly, you will notice any kind of burn before it becomes a problem. I don't think it particularly helped them either, but sometimes needs must.

That's the problem, I don't have any more space to keep going up. Only down. So of she grows taller then I may end up right on top of her with the led. I may need to get a taller tent. I think my grow will be some regular seeds of everything goes good with this grow. I'll just use this tent for vegetation and the new one for flowering.

Yeah if you don't have the room than sort of out of options... unless you just try to go lower now to keep'em short as possible and tie her down as much as you can, maybe could make it.
I actually have 1ft extension I could put on my tent to make it 7ft.. but decided not too at build time cause I'd have to like scrape the ceiling to get it on, so I didn't cause of that clearance, plus I'd never be able to touch the top vent.. not that I need too atm, but I didn't know that at that point. I forgot yours is like 5' right? That last foot makes big difference. I wish I knew before setting everything up just how much space I would lose at the top, not just for fan but for the main light's hanger mounts...which I actually disconnected the ones they sent with it and used four separate of my own because it gave me an extra 8-10" of clearance not using theirs... that said it does make 'leveling' the light after every adjustment a pain in the ass. If I'd not done that I'd be a lot more concerned than I am atm.

I think you can make them fit if you LST and cut a lot of foliage. Maybe have a look at the bonsai section on here. You need for them to not grow. Or get a bigger tent. The pro of getting another tent is that you can justify the existing one as exclusively for veg :)

Yeah if you don't have the room than sort of out of options... unless you just try to go lower now to keep'em short as possible and tie her down as much as you can, maybe could make it.
I actually have 1ft extension I could put on my tent to make it 7ft.. but decided not too at build time cause I'd have to like scrape the ceiling to get it on, so I didn't cause of that clearance, plus I'd never be able to touch the top vent.. not that I need too atm, but I didn't know that at that point. I forgot yours is like 5' right? That last foot makes big difference. I wish I knew before setting everything up just how much space I would lose at the top, not just for fan but for the main light's hanger mounts...which I actually disconnected the ones they sent with it and used four separate of my own because it gave me an extra 8-10" of clearance not using theirs... that said it does make 'leveling' the light after every adjustment a pain in the ass. If I'd not done that I'd be a lot more concerned than I am atm.

Yeah mine is a 2x2x4. I thought I would be good with that one since I originally was only going to go with CFL. I saw a couple of you tube videos and people have small grow boxes. But as I look more in to the candy canes I see they can get pretty tall. Oh well...time to look at the next grow and make better decisions. I learned a lot in the 4 weeks she has been growing. That's what it's all about. Us as a community and learning from each other. .. I guess I will tie her down if she gets too tall

I think you can make them fit if you LST and cut a lot of foliage. Maybe have a look at the bonsai section on here. You need for them to not grow. Or get a bigger tent. The pro of getting another tent is that you can justify the existing one as exclusively for veg :)

I saw the bonsai section. That's crazy how the plant adapts. I definitely will find a way to finish this grow tho.. Weather I have to tie her down or do LST. She is happy and so am I. But it does justify for another tent ..

Good morning, I hope everyone is doing well. Today as I continue this journey and record everything, I stay impressed. Candy seems to have put on some height ever since the LED went in. And I believe she is in the flowering stage. If anyone can confirm for this noob. .
I believe that is her cola at the top. The temps have stayed consistent with the LED in place. I record the min and max twice a day. They have stayed in the 75degree f. For the past 2 days. .I'm not sure if it's because our outside temperature has been pretty hot outside. I have my grow tent in the basement so that helps a lot also.

Yesterday I gave them a half strength feeding of week 5 fox farm feeding schedule which consisted of 1 1/2 tspn big bloom, 1 tspn grow big, and 1 tspn tiger bloom. I mixed up a full gallon and used about 1/2 between the 2 girls. Candy, the water went right through her and immediately had run off.
Looking back, when I first packed the soil in there, I should have run water through there first, because I feel as her soil his sunken down and I'm concerned if that's going to have an effect on her grow? Does that make sense?

Testie seems to be recovering from the topping, however I am still concerned that I may have stunted her grow. Her tops are doing exactly what I wanted to. I was looking for her to form 2 heads and I THINK that's the direction she is going?

Candy side view:
420-magazine-mobile2119585941.jpg

Candy top view:
420-magazine-mobile191151991.jpg

Testie top view:
420-magazine-mobile80038502.jpg

Testie:
420-magazine-mobile2051118530.jpg

2 heads on tessie, looks that way. On the soil sink, yeah, even with soaking them at first mines dropped an additional inch or two, I actually added a little top coat after day 10 watering... maybe 1/4" cause I had some original mix left over in a bucket, I've not wanted to add more since then since it would be like fresh nutes. As for stunting, see how they take to the feeding, maybe tess will start kicking into gear. As for flowering.. IDK. Looks sort of like mine.. like pre-flower stage... ie about to show sex.

Oddly my Candy today was the lightest I've ever measured her since starting 12lbs, only 4days since last watering, guess she's getting to that phase were she's drinking much more. Widow as well, at 13lbs, debating if I should try and wait till tomorrow for both or just do one today and one tomorrow or both today. I usually water them at 13-14lbs.... tending toward fk-it-water'em, will make the call after I finish my daily update and ponder it over a cup of joe.

May an old blind man sit in on this one? I figure the more I can read about something close to my grow, the more I will learn my girls's idiosyncrasies.

Definitely Grandpa! We can all learn from each other. It's my first grow, so the more support the better! Welcome aboard

She's doing real good by the looks of her. Be careful with the fox farm nutrients when growing a auto flower though. Autos don't need as much nutrients as photo period plants do. You did good giving her only half a dose.

She's doing real good by the looks of her. Be careful with the fox farm nutrients when growing a auto flower though. Autos don't need as much nutrients as photo period plants do. You did good giving her only half a dose.

Got it! I gave her another feeding today but also just half a dose. I wish I would have read this message before the feeding tho. I would have thought twice about it. .

I'm using the FFOF, but decided to use the Earth Juice nutes over the Fox Farms Trio
The reason being I wanted to go as organic as possible, to avoid sodium build up. I will be using their Grow, Micro-Blast and Bloom. I got them all in a package, and they also included a product called Mammoth P. If I understand correctly, this product breaks down substances that are harmful to the plants roots and converts it to phosphorus. I am told that a few drops mixed in with the nute solution will help quite a bit. . The biggest Advantage for me is the fact that no flushing will be necessary. As these are organic and not chemical-based nutrients means that there will be no sodium build up and they break down naturally in the soil as the plant feeds on them.
I think it will be interesting to compare the results between these two brands.

I'm using the FFOF, but decided to use the Earth Juice nutes over the Fox Farms Trio
The reason being I wanted to go as organic as possible, to avoid sodium build up. I will be using their Grow, Micro-Blast and Bloom. I got them all in a package, and they also included a product called Mammoth P. If I understand correctly, this product breaks down substances that are harmful to the plants roots and converts it to phosphorus. I am told that a few drops mixed in with the nute solution will help quite a bit. . The biggest Advantage for me is the fact that no flushing will be necessary. As these are organic and not chemical-based nutrients means that there will be no sodium build up and they break down naturally in the soil as the plant feeds on them.
My girls done good with the ff nutes, I never had to do a flush the whole grow,my girls stayed really healthy. I feed at half strength and that made my rain water go to about 750ppm and that is the highest I have went all grow, even with my photos. I flush them for 10 to 14 days before harvest and I add bush doctors sledgehammer to break down all the build up.

I would like to try the Earth juice in the future so I can compare, is it completely organic...️

I chose FF nutrients only because it was what I kept seeing in the videos I kept watching. So I went with it. The first time I burned up my seedling plants. This go I've been much more careful.

I chose FF nutrients only because it was what I kept seeing in the videos I kept watching. So I went with it. The first time I burned up my seedling plants. This go I've been much more careful.
Yeah it don't take much, I really like the ff nutes, I'm gonna get the ff dirty dozen bundle and use all of them on my next grow but I have had great results with just the ff trio...️

I agree. The results should be interesting.

Back
Top Bottom