Digital Infringement?

jmrl

Hey there, I hope this is a good spot for this.

Hope you're all doing well! I've been mulling over something and thought I'd shoot you a quick message. So, here's the thing: When I post a pic on our platform, what exactly are my rights?

I'm not stressing or anything, just curious. Like, once I hit that 'post' button, what happens next? Do I still own my pic, or does it become fair game for anyone to use?

And let's say someone does use my pic without my permission – can I do anything about it? Not that I'm expecting it to happen, but it's good to know, right?

I get that you're not lawyers (or maybe you are, who knows?), but any pointers you could give would be awesome. Like, where should I go or what should I do if I think my rights have been trampled on?

Thanks a bunch for being awesome as always! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this.

Catch you later, JMRL

One I took Today, out of camera.

_MG_2796.JPG

I believe any posted pics become the property of 420mag but they don't use them for any commercial purposes. They used to put the site's name on each pic unless it was in .gif format but thankfully no longer do that.

Should you formally quit or be banned from the site all your posts and pics remain unless it's only a couple of spam posts.

Like anywhere else posted pics can be copied by anyone and what they do with it is beyond the control of the site owner. I think there's something in the site rules and that when you first join the site that you agree to. Always good to read the fine print if you have concerns.

Nice pic by the way. Mind if I steal it? :D

:peace:

I believe any posted pics become the property of 420mag but they don't use them for any commercial purposes. They used to put the site's name on each pic unless it was in .gif format but thankfully no longer do that.

Should you formally quit or be banned from the site all your posts and pics remain unless it's only a couple of spam posts.

Like anywhere else posted pics can be copied by anyone and what they do with it is beyond the control of the site owner. I think there's something in the site rules and that when you first join the site that you agree to. Always good to read the fine print if you have concerns.

Nice pic by the way. Mind if I steal it? :D

:peace:
Of Course not I wouldn't have posted :D It is one of the worst of the best selection. Who reads that? But I went back to Re-Read and I couldn't locate, it under TOS. I may be blind.

Can I delete or edit a picture once it is posted?

Short answer: no. Once an image is posted, it will stay on our server indefinitely. This is for the preservation of our forum and for your security. If you have inadvertently posted a picture that you feel may jeopardize your security, please contact a moderator and we'll handle it accordingly.
Might be something else about it that I'm not finding, @Renee Roberts maybe she can answer better.

Might be something else about it that I'm not finding, @Renee Roberts maybe she can answer better.
I was going to suggest her as well. I used to know this.... and it seemed there was something specific about the ownership etc. of the photos once uploaded here, but it's been way too many years. LOL

I was going to suggest her as well. I used to know this.... and it seemed there was something specific about the ownership etc. of the photos once uploaded here, but it's been way too many years. LOL
Lots of changes get made over time, even since I first came here in 2016 even, so sometimes I think of things that no longer apply. When in doubt I just report it and let someone that has those permissions to decide, or tag them in to let them reply. But we short staffed so thought I'd post what I did find on question

All images uploaded to our website, whether they be gallery uploads or attachments, give 420 Magazine shared copyright ownership privileges to use in our own promotions. We may use a photo here and there in our marketing materials or featured articles. You still retain your copyright, we just get permission to use it as well.

Thanks Regrowth!
I read through the forum guidelines. But, where did you find this? I have to be missing it in the list there. LOL

"All images uploaded to our website, whether they be gallery uploads or attachments, give 420 Magazine shared copyright ownership privileges to use in our own promotions. We may use a photo here and there in our marketing materials or featured articles. You still retain your copyright, we just get permission to use it as well."

All images uploaded to our website, whether they be gallery uploads or attachments, give 420 Magazine shared copyright ownership privileges to use in our own promotions. We may use a photo here and there in our marketing materials or featured articles. You still retain your copyright, we just get permission to use it as well.

It used to be in forum guidelines under photos must have got moved to terms of service
when they made everything cleaner

It used to be in forum guidelines under photos must have got moved to terms of service
when they made everything cleaner
Yeah, things maybe got moved around a bit. At least we know now where it's located for any future queries. :thumb:

And let's say someone does use my pic without my permission – can I do anything about it? Not that I'm expecting it to happen, but it's good to know, right?
We have the basic answer on what happens if a photo is posted here and the shared rights.

Other things to think about include only posting copies of the original digital photo. Keep several copies of the original on a computer hard-drive, a portable hard drive and maybe some CDs or DVDs. Then resize the photo, do cropping, change the contrast and maybe lighting or whatever will make it look good. Save the photo under a new name and post that copy. Keep a copy of every change made to the original. Again never a direct copy of the original. Keep the camera that was used even if it is broken.

If you feel that you want to do something if a photo was stolen then contact a lawyer that specializes in property rights. They cover copyright and patent issues. I have to figure that having the camera involved and copies of every change made to the photo will go a long way to proving your ownership.

Years ago back before digital cameras I had been invited to watch a boat race. I was able to get a half way decent photo of the winning boat while it was on a qualifying run. Within a few months the driver went on to win a couple more races. I took a small photo, a 3X5 to a sports bar owner and asked if he wanted a larger copy for the racing area on the wall. Went to the photo processor and asked them to make a couple of small changes to the colors and then an enlargement. Bar owner was very happy and paid.

Another time I posted a digital photo of an old abandoned neighborhood landmark building on a small web page I owned. Someone found it and posted a link. Next thing I knew it was on several other web sites. I pulled the photo and replaced it with a graphic that read "photo removed because owner of this web page failed to give proper credit to photographer". That broke a lot of links but I had made my point.

Or the time I when the City of Detroit tried to sell some property they did not own. A crew had gone and cut down the fence and moved it several feet. Within an hour or so I went down and took digital photos showing the new fence and the holes or stumps where the old fence poles had been. I posted them on the web page for an affiliate of a state organization that was fighting the city over the property. The next day someone posted the photos on the web page for the state organization and claimed they were his. It took a phone call to two people I knew who then called the director of the state organization and told him that they had seen the original photos the day before and that the copies they had posted were stolen. I did not ask for credit but any credit did have to go to the affiliate I was a member of.

And that is the extent of my photo sales and problems. It is also why I post very few photos here.

Back
Top Bottom