Doc Bud's High Brix - LED Indulgence

Hate to toot the platinum horn but any of the PlatinumLEDs will likely grow buds that you will be happy with. Doc made mention of his firm stance on comparing lights. Please read first page. The best he can offer is his full endorsement, of which PlatinumLED is about to earn, or not.

Doc will readily recommend the dorm grow lights he just finished a few rounds with. The buds look amazing.

At the very least, consider the marsII it is much better than the reflector series.

Appreciate the response, and wanted to reiterate that I did read the front page, and every page after that. I am not asking DocBud to compare LED lights.. which is what he didn't want to (or at least that's how I read it, considering the variety of lights he has used in such a short period of time)...

I am just asking what an experienced grower like himself would do in a situation like mine. Get an LED or get an HPS system based on what I am looking for at the end of my first grow.

REGARDLESS, two users have already gone out of their way to look at my set up and recommend lights based on what might work for me... and I am probably going to rely on them for advice from here on out considering they actually seem interested.

Anyways, apologies for stepping out of line with that question, and thanks for the help. All the best, and good luck.

Hey Doc, I have a light specific question that I am hoping isn't too hard to answer.

I am currently vegging 3 plants in my first grow (journal is in my signature) and I am guessing they will be flipped to 12/12 within 2 weeks. This will be a ScrOG type grow and personally I am striving for high end quality. The most important qualities for me at the end of this crop will be the Bud Formation... I am most determined on quality nug Structure and Denseness (plan on bud back-building to help with this), as well as little sugar leaves as possible in my buds (I know some of this depends on strain) and Potency... obviously.

Before the 12/12 flip I plan on getting either an HPS System or a LED light to flower with for maximum potential, but also to begin a perpetual grow. I was curious what you would recommend, the only LED I am seriously considering is the Mars Hydro 96x3W Reflector LED.. because of its price and the several journals I have seen it in it performed well.

Trying to decide before Christmas, figured I would ask your opinion considering your recent involvement in the HPS to LED debate and transition.

Thanks so much in advance Doc! I really appreciate any info you might have.

I have no experience with the light you're about to purchase.....so I really can't comment other than to say that many people use it. If you like what you see, get it!

I like my DormGrow and Platinum experiences so far....

Here are some 1 hour old pics of the plants currently under the P1200's

Picture_02481.jpg

Picture_016117.jpg

Picture_014166.jpg

Picture_006254.jpg

Picture_005274.jpg

Picture_004286.jpg

Picture_003293.jpg

Picture_002289.jpg

Picture_001296.jpg

I know it's about the flowers, but the leaf structure and health on those lemon paki is really cool.

No Lemon Paki pics on that last post.....but thanks!

At this point in time, I'm "happy" with perfect plants. Anything less than that makes me realize I need to improve.

I'm "happy" (not really, I plan on doing better next time) with the plants this round, especially this little Afghan, which is the first time I've grown it:

Picture_02386.jpg

Picture_021103.jpg

Picture_019112.jpg

Quick update:

I have a couple observations to make regarding these lights and how the grow is progressing; mainly that the lights are putting out far more light than the two 1000 watt HPS that used to be over this tray. I can tell this, because the plants had quite a bit of stress when first put under the lights.

New growth is back where it should be, nodes are the tightest ever with this strain, and resin formation is coming on strong. Things will start getting more fun in the coming weeks.

IMG_68933.jpg

IMG_68924.JPG

IMG_68912.jpg

IMG_68903.JPG

IMG_68895.JPG

IMG_68882.jpg

IMG_68874.jpg

Picture_02591.jpg

Picture_02481.jpg

Your plants look happier and healthier than any other I've ever seen. I know there is more to it than the lights, but they sure look like they're helping!

Your plants look happier and healthier than any other I've ever seen. I know there is more to it than the lights, but they sure look like they're helping!

I am a very reluctant, skeptical convert to LED lighting. In the past, I have looked at LED flowers as wispy and less dense. I thought LED was only good for micro-sized plants.

I am no longer of that opinion. I can tell you that without a doubt, these lights are putting out more PAR than the 1000 watt HID's they have replaced. Internodal spacing is the tightest I've seen on this strain. That's the lights.

We're approaching week four, at which time I will change the ionic balance of the soil to positive (Cat Drench in kit lingo) and we should see a resin storm form.

The plants were stunted there for a week or two, but now they appear to have kicked into gear. Next time, I'll use veg cycle only to acclimate them. I could also probably get by just fine with only one light over this tray.....

This is a pretty cool time for indoor growing. We've got several new lighting technologies to use, including and especially this new generation of LED.

We're all here for one reason and one reason only: To make some seriously beautiful flowers and let them do the talking. Let's let this journal be a beautiful resource of knowledge along with some serious eye candy!

Yeah baby, that's what I'm talking about! That's why I grow too.

I have no experience with the light you're about to purchase.....so I really can't comment other than to say that many people use it. If you like what you see, get it!

I like my DormGrow and Platinum experiences so far....

Here are some 1 hour old pics of the plants currently under the P1200's

Wow Doc Bud, I like what I see!
Those are some very healthy looking plants with tight node spacing.
Looks like those lights are delivering a lot of PAR. Very good.:bravo:

I am a very reluctant, skeptical convert to LED lighting. In the past, I have looked at LED flowers as wispy and less dense. I thought LED was only good for micro-sized plants.

I am no longer of that opinion. I can tell you that without a doubt, these lights are putting out more PAR than the 1000 watt HID's they have replaced. Internodal spacing is the tightest I've seen on this strain. That's the lights.

I feel the same way about LED lighting but am drawn to this thread as some of my friends have converted to LED's and one friend in particular would never make such a move without proof that it was better to do so.

We're approaching week four, at which time I will change the ionic balance of the soil to positive (Cat Drench in kit lingo) and we should see a resin storm form.

The plants were stunted there for a week or two, but now they appear to have kicked into gear. Next time, I'll use veg cycle only to acclimate them. I could also probably get by just fine with only one light over this tray.....

I have to admit that the plants have some very nice looking growth and the node spacing is great. How much cooler is the room running compared to having HPS lights in there?

This is a pretty cool time for indoor growing. We've got several new lighting technologies to use, including and especially this new generation of LED.
It's a great time to be alive for cannabis growers and lovers, that's for sure.

I can not wait to see these plants to get to about week 6. I kinda think that you might be able to get a tan under your lights bro. I honestly hope you have some sort of eye protection when you go in that part of the room with the lights on. My eyes hurt just looking into 2 P450's I can only imagine what those are like.

Your plants bro. Ya know when we're nailing it and don't think it can get better. Then we surprise ourselves with a "wtf"?!?!?! I have a feeling that is going to be your next round. This one you're just kinda getting a feel for them, they're just different, in a fantastic way but still different. Not that things look bad, they look perfect. You know what I mean though. I am having one of those experiences today and look forward to reading about yours. These lights are so strong man. Finding the sweet spot is the fun part.

I really look forward to the future too. Every one best has yet to come....

Your plants bro. Ya know when we're nailing it and don't think it can get better. Then we surprise ourselves with a "wtf"?!?!?! I have a feeling that is going to be your next round. This one you're just kinda getting a feel for them, they're just different, in a fantastic way but still different. Not that things look bad, they look perfect. You know what I mean though. I am having one of those experiences today and look forward to reading about yours. These lights are so strong man. Finding the sweet spot is the fun part.

I really look forward to the future too. Every one best has yet to come....

The plants really do look perfect. So perfect it makes them look different.
I'm curious to see the quality as well as the yield of this experiment. This is going to be fun to watch.

Are those lights really that much stronger than HPS lights and will the results confirm it?
That's what I'm wondering. Quality is more important than yield IMHO but yield is important too.
Judging by the healthy glow of those plants I suspect a healthy bounty is soon to follow.

Doc Bud, I got to hand it to ya', those are the most thriving plants I can remember and thanks for
sharing this thread with us.

The plants really do look perfect. So perfect it makes them look different.
I'm curious to see the quality as well as the yield of this experiment. This is going to be fun to watch.

Are those lights really that much stronger than HPS lights and will the results confirm it?
That's what I'm wondering. Quality is more important than yield IMHO but yield is important too.
Judging by the healthy glow of those plants I suspect a healthy bounty is soon to follow.

Doc Bud, I got to hand it to ya', those are the most thriving plants I can remember and thanks for
sharing this thread with us.

And its completely repeatable as long as you can follow directions and have an environment that is spot on :)
No lie :)

Loving your logs/journals. The only thing I could ask that could be helpful, when you post pictures can you label with their ages? Ive been looking through your logs and love watching the plants flower and do their thing but most of the time i have no idea how long its taking. Maybe just tired reading all this late at night! So much to take in lol. Im learning as much as possible before starting my first grow

Loving your logs/journals. The only thing I could ask that could be helpful, when you post pictures can you label with their ages? Ive been looking through your logs and love watching the plants flower and do their thing but most of the time i have no idea how long its taking. Maybe just tired reading all this late at night! So much to take in lol. Im learning as much as possible before starting my first grow

The most recent pics are just under 4 weeks under 11/13 lighting.

Back
Top Bottom