Doc Bud's High Brix Q&A With Pictures

re: Doc Bud - High Brix Q&A With Pictures

I just thought of a new term and I know Doc is somewhat of a vinophile as well as some others here ...

RelaxedLester was saying that he likes to test fresh undried buds for their bright vivid tastes and I agreed, and it occurred to me that it's a little like a young unaged wine - a beaujolais, for instance.

Would that then be "cannabis primeur"? :laughtwo:

Am I using the term correctly?

What america needs to be careful of is saying that marijuana is a medicine. Theres a huge percentage of smokers who use it because they like to and not for any other reason yet they jump on the "medicine" band wagon. What state and fed govts will do is legalize it for medicinal use "only" and what will happen after that? Those who just want and use it for recreational use will still be criminals. Be careful what you wish for folks! Not everyone who wants say, oxycontin, vicodin or methadone for example, gets it. If it becomes legalized as a medicine it will be treated as such and any other use or possession of said medicine without a perscription will be considered illegal and all the legalization preaching will all be for naught. If you want the laws changed for marijuana, whether for medicine or recreation, make sure you choose which route is right for you because it can end up biting you, and millions of others, in the ass....just sayin

That's a scary thought eh...good point Canuck! Gotcha bro!The way i see it is ...no matter what the governments decide...i'l still grow my own and i will still be considered a criminal to most!They will never let US grow our own weed...no way ,will never happen. Not even sick people who really need it's benefits! They will always strive to make US pay as much as possible for it. Never mind if it's totally legalized for rec use...the price will be high and the quality low.Canuck ,you, as well are right on the money with your comments. Cheers bro! I'm goin for a Stella:):high-five:

Here ya go bro Quote Originally Posted by Hash Hound View Post
TY Doc

and about the shelf life of the kit question?
Sorry about missing that....as long as it's kept in a cool, dark place it should be fine for a year, except for the Tea and Root Zone, which will still work but won't be as potent.

You'll be fine if you get to it in the next few months

Ok thanks Doc, what strains would you recommend for someone trying the kit for the first time in a 4x4x6.5 tent? Thanks again for all your help!

That's exactly the size of my room and I would highly recommend the following, all of which were easy to grow and performed VERY well in HB:

Jamaican Dream
White Panther
Super Lemon Haze
Carnival

:cheesygrinsmiley:

Google seedfinder

They have info on almost every available strain. :thumb:

Hey doc, just wondering how long would the supplies in your kit last for if left unopened? Thanks

My replacement kit is 14 months old. I have been cooking soil for 3 weeks now. Temps are way warmer than my last attempt at cooking soil, but I still see no fuzz on the top of the soil.

I will update the progress here and share the results of year plus old kit viability if I don't start a journal.

I started my seedlings in Promix All Purpose since I didn't have the HP yet.

As careful as I am about doing things, I forgot to mix the root zone in the soil at the place I planted the seeds. After a week and they looked healthy enough, I made four holes with a pen about an inch or so out from the seedlings and sprinkled the root zone in each hole and around the base of the seedling and mixed in gently. I then watered with a little bit of transplant (about 18 months old) I had left from the first kit.

A few days later, they look like they are on steroids.

This is the biggest one, 2 weeks old Dinafems Dinachem (ChemdawgxGuavaChem)
G18_DC_wk2_veg.jpg

I just thought of a new term and I know Doc is somewhat of a vinophile as well as some others here ...

RelaxedLester was saying that he likes to test fresh undried buds for their bright vivid tastes and I agreed, and it occurred to me that it's a little like a young unaged wine - a beaujolais, for instance.

Would that then be "cannabis primeur"? :laughtwo:

Am I using the term correctly?

A really good vaporizer works well for this!

Hash, I've never seen fuzz on my soil until this year, in a covered bin outside. That's a really good sign, of course, but not a necessary one. It's my opinion that the "cook" isn't all that critical. A lot happens in the soil after the plants have been potted - that's more important. I've watched plants hook up in a matter of days, while others struggle in the same soil. As long as the ratios are right, and you've introduced biota through the Roots product, then they'll all figure out how to get along soon enough.

It's not a good idea to plant into soil that's been amended in the past couple weeks, though - there are toxic reactions occurring. I've done it and it's a waste of time - the plants stall.

Hash, I've never seen fuzz on my soil until this year, in a covered bin outside. That's a really good sign, of course, but not a necessary one. It's my opinion that the "cook" isn't all that critical. A lot happens in the soil after the plants have been potted - that's more important. I've watched plants hook up in a matter of days, while others struggle in the same soil. As long as the ratios are right, and you've introduced biota through the Roots product, then they'll all figure out how to get along soon enough.

It's not a good idea to plant into soil that's been amended in the past couple weeks, though - there are toxic reactions occurring. I've done it and it's a waste of time - the plants stall.

I agree with this. I didn't really see fuzz until I just kinda threw some leaves on top and didn't bury them.

Oops, forgot the quote:

"The U.S. and Canadian governments will NEVER let the common person grow their own weed! It will never happen...think about it...why would they? They stand to make billions with they're hand in everyone's pocket collecting taxes from it ,just like booze and cigs!If it is legalized in the near future, it will be regulated just like those! "

I dunno, I think they'll still make billions anyway. Most people don't want the hassle or don't have the space to grow their own. Plus, stealth will still often be an issue because theft will continue to be a major problem for home grows, and that'll stop even more from growing. And you can brew your own beer and wine, not sure if there's any prohibition against distilling other things and I don't think it's illegal to grow your own tobacco, is it?

EDIT: just checked and it is completely legal to grow your own tobacco. :)

that's not to say they won't try to stop us just because they think they can, but I think they'll spend more money trying than they're losing to home grows and eventually give up. :)

Sorry about the OT, so here's a question: is there enough variance in "tuning" your kit to specific strains (like you're working toward with your "hydro" kit) that you see a future somewhere down the road where you have strain-specific kits designed for those more extreme, problematic cultivars? I wonder about something like Mekong Haze, I've read it's a frighteningly fast, aggressive grower. I wonder if something like that could require a more "turbo-charged" version of the kit?

Sorry about the OT, so here's a question: is there enough variance in "tuning" your kit to specific strains (like you're working toward with your "hydro" kit) that you see a future somewhere down the road where you have strain-specific kits designed for those more extreme, problematic cultivars? I wonder about something like Mekong Haze, I've read it's a frighteningly fast, aggressive grower. I wonder if something like that could require a more "turbo-charged" version of the kit?

Yep.....you're on the right track.

Look at the kit like a piano keyboard, all tuned up and in good working order. I'll show you how to play your major, minor, 4th, 5th, 7th chords and your major and minor scales. Once you get familiar with all that, you start making your own music and "invent" new chords and scales as you get better.

I'm trying to grow outrageous Sativa's right now and already my next attempt is working better than the last. The gigantic thing was grown "by the book" except after week 10 I started feeding only Cat Drench. The slightly smaller, much greener one has been fed only Cat Drench from the get go.....and I've top dressed twice with my "Rescue Soil" (has all the trimmings put back in and composted) .

It's already growing better than the first. It also helps that I've reduced the photoperiod to 11 hours of daylight. So, we've got a lot to learn!

I will say this: While there's a market for the hydro strains like OG, I no longer prefer them over the magic of a good pure Paki, Afghani or tropical Sativa. Old school strains are much better in the kit than hyrdo strains, no matter how the latter is grown.

Picture_005232.jpg
Picture_004243.jpg
Picture_001252.jpg
Picture_003250.jpg

Hey doc not sure if you have mentioned it..do you do any lsting or hsting to your plants while growing with the brix kit? If so, when and how much? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom