First Grow On My Own

Sir Digby

So now that I'm all legal I decided to setup a tent and get some gals of my own growing. I've had limited exposure to any growers besides other family that have grown medically in the past, so I have few resources IRL and basically nobody that can come by the house and actually put eyes on stuff. So far no major problems have popped up and I have been able to find most answers I need on lovely forums and grow communities such as this one.

I set this tent up around labor day and was waiting for seeds to come in for a couple of weeks after that. I was a little impatient waiting for them to arrive and started practicing on some bag seed a week before hand, so there are a couple of different strains and ages in this tent currently, which is obvious from the pictures. If nothing else I figured those would give me some extra practice germinating, transplanting, and sexing so we'll see how it goes with them- they may be getting the chop.

Here's the stats:

Grow space: 4x4x6.5' grow tent
Pots: Solo cups then transplanted to 5gal smart pots
Lights: 1 600w reflector LED by Bestva, 1 1500w full spectrum LED by Bestva
Medium: Coco Loco by Fox Farms
Nutrients: Fox Farm trio, CalMag, RO water PH'd to around 6.3, Mykos on transplants
Feeding schedule: feed/water/feed every 2-3 days as pots start to dry out
Genetics: 2 Northern Lights fems from Canuk Seeds, 1 White Widow fem from Canuk, 3 bag seed randoms (2 5gallon, 1 solo cup)- The seeds from Canuk are photos and so far the bag seed seems to be as well

Like I said, I'm about a month in, almost all the way through veg. I'm just waiting on the 3 named seeds to get a little bit bigger, they are still a little squat. They seem to be showing off some of their indica height and broad leaf genetics, especially compared to the random bag seed next to them.

I wasn't going to do a journal on this first grow just in case it ends tragically, but I was practically writing a journal to myself and I really like this community so I figured I might as well put it out here and maybe get some help as needed, if needed. I'll post a few photos of the progress so far to get caught up.

Here are the bag seedlings while I was waiting on the others to arrive

This is where we sit today. The newer strains are in week 4 and everything is topped and trained, though the named gals are still a little short so I'm trying to let them reach up a little bit more before flipping to flower.

Thoughts, suggestions- I'm down to hear it all. Thanks everyone!

Looking good from my perspective, but I too am a first timer and would think many other more experienced users here would be better to answer your question. So HAPPY LEGALIZATION DAY and good luck with your grow. Feel free to check mine out below as I have 8 on the go and about midway into my 2nd week of flowering.

Looking good from my perspective, but I too am a first timer and would think many other more experienced users here would be better to answer your question. So HAPPY LEGALIZATION DAY and good luck with your grow. Feel free to check mine out below as I have 8 on the go and about midway into my 2nd week of flowering.

Thanks guys! I'll be following your grow as well EhCnd. Good luck, hopefully they turn out well for both of us.

Looks good, congrats on the legalization

Love to see pics with lights off, really the way to show em off, but nice Pointsettia anyways....lol

Looks good, congrats on the legalization

Love to see pics with lights off, really the way to show em off, but nice Pointsettia anyways....lol

It's a little dark in there with the lights off- I have to break out the camera with a real flash. Probably not going to get it out every time but I'll post some up every now and again. I actually tried white balancing some of those photos but I'm not exactly skilled in photo editing and they only ended up looking worse.

Well, I knew some sort of problem would pop up eventually. The bag seed and NL on the right side of the tent have both started showing some sort of leaf burns. I did just water this morning with PH'd water on the bag seed and ph'd water plus calmag on the other seeds. The other three plants seem to be unaffected, and all had the same. Here are some pics

I noticed some similar spots last week that were not as widespread so I tested the runoff on the next feeding I gave them. It was normal PH and lower PPM than the input so I thought maybe it was light burns since both of those plants are closer to the 1500w led as opposed to the 600w on the other side. I moved that light up a little bit and didn't see any other advances in the spots (even after feeding nutes) so thought that might have taken care of the issue, but then today after a regular watering it seems to be advancing a little bit more on the same two plants.

Any suggestions?

Well, I knew some sort of problem would pop up eventually. The bag seed and NL on the right side of the tent have both started showing some sort of leaf burns. I did just water this morning with PH'd water on the bag seed and ph'd water plus calmag on the other seeds. The other three plants seem to be unaffected, and all had the same. Here are some pics

I noticed some similar spots last week that were not as widespread so I tested the runoff on the next feeding I gave them. It was normal PH and lower PPM than the input so I thought maybe it was light burns since both of those plants are closer to the 1500w led as opposed to the 600w on the other side. I moved that light up a little bit and didn't see any other advances in the spots (even after feeding nutes) so thought that might have taken care of the issue, but then today after a regular watering it seems to be advancing a little bit more on the same two plants.

Any suggestions?
Things are looking good in your tent. Lower that ph a little. Try 5.7-5.9. That 6.3 may be a little high. But I have gotten that yellow tip with my ph right and the coco may be a little soggy and that can block some of those nutrients.
Congratulations on the legal vote!!

You mentioned growing perpetually. As soon as I harvest, I am switching to autos. I like to run them 20 hours a day and you can add new strains as you harvest. With winter getting close, I like to use my lights to heat the garden. The autos that are out there are amazing and very fun to grow.
Then, when it gets close to spring and things are heating up out side, I will start some photos with the autos. Veg them 2 months as you are harvesting the rest of your autos.
Now it will be hot outside and I will flip to flower and have some monsters. Run the lights at night and of in the summer day and heat.
Then repeat. That’s how I handle not having two separate grows.

I was using a ph closer to 5.9 when I first started using Coco Loco based on everything I read about pure coco, but Coco Loco is more of a soil/coco mix and according to the manufacturer should be PH'd closer to soil levels. I've also read that loco buffers anyways, which from testing runoff seems to be pretty accurate- it's almost always around 6.5. The other three seem to be doing fine with it, which is why I'm wondering if it might be something outside of PH.

I finally found a spot locally that sells Tupur so I'm probably going to switch to that or make my own coco/perlite mix next grow to have more of a traditional coco hydro setup.

I really like your idea about staggering autos! It would be very nice to be able to throw new clones or seedlings in at any time rather than having to wait for the light cycle to reset. I'll have to find some auto strains that look good.

Does anyone else have to vacuum out their carbon filter to keep it from becoming restricted in air flow? I basically have to take mine off and shop vac it once a week to remove the dust and stuff to keep it from clogging up and losing air flow.

I'm on the second filter of different brands I have to do this with. Both have pre-filters but that doesn't seem to make a lot of difference, the dust/particulates still gets sucked through into the main filter and needs to be cleaned out

Just curious if anyone else has had this issue....

Back
Top Bottom