Fools Rush In: Newbie's Adventures In Suboptimal Conditions

I’m remembering you said ‘yes please’ to the links:

Each of those is to a post that talks about CFLs - it follows as she was researching and designing and changing etc.

I thought your setup could really benefit from some at the top to give the plant some downward light so the top leaves could get a bit more going on. You can hang them right in to the canopy so long as you’re carful about leaves touching them - sue has a few tip about that here n there ;) (of course! It’s sue so she’s always looking to save someone else some time and trouble in the future! :love: )

I really enjoyed it becasue it took me back to when i joined here too - I was lurking then i think, about to join.

I’ve nearly gone down the CFL route on quite a few occasions. If I hadn’t won the viparspectra I’d probably have done it for the veg box (and possibly will in the futire to make it a breeding or close box - once my veg space is bigger).

Anyway - I enjoyed the read. It was Sue getting it all together and figuring out growing for herself too so a really nice journey to revisit :love:

Im scared of drying it lol i just cant do anything right im gonna just keep waiting it out. Seems to be workin

Yeah it's terrifying to me too, lol! I'm sure if you get into trouble we can coax one of the experienced growers here to pop over for a look :cheer:

You've been excellent company sy!

:green_heart::green_heart: :Namaste:

Each of those is to a post that talks about CFLs - it follows as she was researching and designing and changing etc.

I thought your setup could really benefit from some at the top to give the plant some downward light so the top leaves could get a bit more going on. You can hang them right in to the canopy so long as you’re carful about leaves touching them - sue has a few tip about that here n there ;) (of course! It’s sue so she’s always looking to save someone else some time and trouble in the future! :love: )

Wow. Thank you for sharing all of those links! :eek:

I actually did have one LED panel at the top - I moved it to the front/side once the plant got too tall!

Here's an older pic:

img_9351-jpg.2195267

Howeeever, the bottommost panel is currently not doing much post-lollipop, so it seems I could actually return to a 1-above-2-beside configuration.

The problem is that the plant is too tall now :laugh:

But I will remember this next grow. Thank you for pointing this out.

I wish I could love that post more than once. Thank you for going through all that!

I want to add that if you make tin foil hats for your CFLs you will greatly increase their light output down where you want it.

(The date on that pic is June of 2017, less than a month into my first grow and 10 days after I joined here!)
I really enjoyed it becasue it took me back to when i joined here too - I was lurking then i think.

I’ve nearly done down the CFL route on quite a few occasions. If I hadn’t won the viparspectra i’d probaly have done it for the veg box (and possibly will in the futire to make it a breeding or close box - once my veg space is bigger).

Anyway - I enjoyed the read. It was Sue getting it all together and figuring out growing for herself too so a really nice journey to revisit :love:

I am definitely going to devour those links, Amy. Thank you again.

I've already been on a couple of archaeological excavations here, and have seen you two (Amy, Shed) and @DonkeyDick as 420 babies! :battingeyelashes:

Time's a hell of a drug. :green_heart:

I’m remembering you said ‘yes please’ to the links:

OK - that was a gorgeous time going through those posts.

A special journey indeed. Funny - it made me nostalgic for something I've never known!

CFLs are beautiful objects, too, and make for lovely juxtapositions with the plants.

I enjoyed her style. Attentive, elegant. Adaptable. With great economy and precision. That's my jam. That's my whole bed and breakfast.

And of course, the tiny spaces.

LOVE IT!

Thank you for curating that. :Namaste::green_heart:

A++ would trade again.

:eek: Lol, like you said to me last time, where did all the potting mix go? :laughtwo:

Wow. I wonder if I would ever see development like this in my tiny space(s). Probably by this point the plant would be twice as tall as the cabinet! :laugh:

Is this your CBD#1, Amy?

No, it doesn't look like any kind of deficiency to me (not that I'm any kind of authority).

It's also interesting that it's affecting just the one plant, too. Another pest issue??

Yeah I was just thinking about the small downturned leaves this morning.

At first I didn't think twice about it. I thought maybe that's how those little single leaves can look in flower, like you say. But after looking around more at others' plants at this stage... yeah, something might be up!

I might turn the lights down a bit - they are on full blast at the moment, and this may be the suggestion that that is too much.

But... one weird thing is that the curling/tacoing is only happening to the topmost buds, and those are not the ones getting the most light. The next lowest buds are actually the ones getting blasted the most. And they have normal looking leaves!

:hmmmm::hmmmm:

I'll have a closer inspection tonight, once lights are back on.

:Namaste:
It is odd that it is 1 of 3 that are all kiss Dragon that has an odd issue. I looked up split in stem and isn't much info just like leaf issue. All I really got was too hot, cold, or rapid growth. Honestly could be all 3 as it got hot in tent and being trained I may not have seen split. It has been very cold for this time of year dropping to 40 degrees a few nites the past week or so. It is also the 1st I moved back outside so it is about 2 weeks further into flower. I will have to monitor the rest to see if the same happens. I did stabilize when I fed her so maybe cause strain is 90% sativa which are known for vigorous growth growing up to 40% larger in flower it gobbles up the nutes. It did go from about 23 inches to 26 inches in height in just over a week. I know not a huge plant but def an increase in height. The others I also kept near the tent where the light is to delay flower from secondary light. It also kept them warmer but it now being late September I stopped hedging my bets and moved them away. Just gotta keep an eye on the weather to avoid frost. Any time I fear it I will cover them and add a hand warmer or two to keep an safe. The buds look good on her and growth as I said is fast. I'm use to bag seeds which are mostly indica so maybe being so sativa dom it is just a feeding issue. I doubt pests cause the night crawlers are done for most part. Plus I add de to the water and use insecticidial soap every 2 to 3 days. I will clear the area more though just in case cause better safe than sorry. I need to keep some camo though as my neighbors are aholes. They actually accepted a delivery of a fridge and stove meant for my parents 2 years ago. They just signed and kept it causing my parents to go 2 weeks without straightening it out. I know they probably know the plants are there just some camo makes me feel better. If they took my babies I would kill.
As far as your babies I gotta read to catchup if you figured it out with leaves. If they are the ones getting less light then could be light deficiency too much and too little almost look the same just like with nitrogen. Like some1 suggested maybe hang a cfl bulbs or 2 for the top. You can get a clamp light and splitter for maybe $10 at your local hardware store. It's in flower so get 100 watt on the 6500k side. You use 2700k for veg. May help I use 150watt 5200 photographer cfls and a 150 watt 2700k combined with a veg specific LED and the clamp 40 wattled grow light. The photographer quality 1s were pricey and had to go online for em but the mimic sunlight more. Sorry for blabbing on but yea I will show a pic of the my little fruity chronic juice I got in tent. I topped her yesterday and in haste accidently took a side leaf. No biggie thinking of staggered grow and do same every other to give 1 larger side branch on each side. If I explained that right lol. Strain is supposed to be resilient and deal with anything. I asked seed bank for good strain that can handle anything it was 1 of 5 suggestions. Being pretty much a 50/50 hybrid I said why not. Plus from delicious seeds who have a great rep. Still fruity chronic juice is a hell of a name. Just the names and cross breeding is crazy now. Crap I blabbed on more sorry. Will read more now n hope u discovered fix for your baby.

It is odd that it is 1 of 3 that are all kiss Dragon that has an odd issue. I looked up split in stem and isn't much info just like leaf issue. All I really got was too hot, cold, or rapid growth. Honestly could be all 3 as it got hot in tent and being trained I may not have seen split. It has been very cold for this time of year dropping to 40 degrees a few nites the past week or so. It is also the 1st I moved back outside so it is about 2 weeks further into flower. I will have to monitor the rest to see if the same happens. I did stabilize when I fed her so maybe cause strain is 90% sativa which are known for vigorous growth growing up to 40% larger in flower it gobbles up the nutes. It did go from about 23 inches to 26 inches in height in just over a week. I know not a huge plant but def an increase in height. The others I also kept near the tent where the light is to delay flower from secondary light. It also kept them warmer but it now being late September I stopped hedging my bets and moved them away. Just gotta keep an eye on the weather to avoid frost. Any time I fear it I will cover them and add a hand warmer or two to keep an safe. The buds look good on her and growth as I said is fast. I'm use to bag seeds which are mostly indica so maybe being so sativa dom it is just a feeding issue. I doubt pests cause the night crawlers are done for most part. Plus I add de to the water and use insecticidial soap every 2 to 3 days. I will clear the area more though just in case cause better safe than sorry. I need to keep some camo though as my neighbors are aholes. They actually accepted a delivery of a fridge and stove meant for my parents 2 years ago. They just signed and kept it causing my parents to go 2 weeks without straightening it out. I know they probably know the plants are there just some camo makes me feel better. If they took my babies I would kill.
As far as your babies I gotta read to catchup if you figured it out with leaves. If they are the ones getting less light then could be light deficiency too much and too little almost look the same just like with nitrogen. Like some1 suggested maybe hang a cfl bulbs or 2 for the top. You can get a clamp light and splitter for maybe $10 at your local hardware store. It's in flower so get 100 watt on the 6500k side. You use 2700k for veg. May help I use 150watt 5200 photographer cfls and a 150 watt 2700k combined with a veg specific LED and the clamp 40 wattled grow light. The photographer quality 1s were pricey and had to go online for em but the mimic sunlight more. Sorry for blabbing on but yea I will show a pic of the my little fruity chronic juice I got in tent. I topped her yesterday and in haste accidently took a side leaf. No biggie thinking of staggered grow and do same every other to give 1 larger side branch on each side. If I explained that right lol. Strain is supposed to be resilient and deal with anything. I asked seed bank for good strain that can handle anything it was 1 of 5 suggestions. Being pretty much a 50/50 hybrid I said why not. Plus from delicious seeds who have a great rep. Still fruity chronic juice is a hell of a name. Just the names and cross breeding is crazy now. Crap I blabbed on more sorry. Will read more now n hope u discovered fix for your baby.

Hey Carl!

Glad to hear your plant's growth and bud development haven't been affected too badly. And your neighbours sound like absolute dickheads, lol. Hope you don't have any drama with them.

As for my girl, I'm working through one variable at a time. First one was N def and I upped her feed quite significantly. Second was actually light stress rather than deficiency - she was really getting blasted at close range, and without the appropriate CO2 and nutes that would be unsustainable.

I'm curious now about the possibility that it's the lack of light coming from the top, as you and @Amy Gardner suggest. But I won't change anything for a week perhaps, so as not to mess up the current experiment with the reduced lighting and increased feed. But in the meantime I will think if there is a way to fit a panel above the plant, again, somehow.

I might also go have a look at @gr865 's vertical light grow again to see if the lack of top lighting was ever a problem for him. (Thanks for that reference all that time ago, @Stunger !)

:Namaste: :thumb:

I might also go have a look at @gr865 's vertical light grow again to see if the lack of top lighting was ever a problem for him.

Ah! He kept his top light going the whole time.

And I don't think there's any way for me to move a light above Desert at this point, unfortunately. There is barely an inch left above her!

So the lack-of-top-lighting question might have to wait for next grow to be answered. I will keep thinking about it. I may have missed something.

In the meantime, I have the opportunity to try to eliminate some other variables.

I'm not too worried at this point. Will do my best to keep her as happy as possible! :thumb:

She just woke up and said she could hear us talking about her.

IMG_9744 sanitised.jpeg

Desert, day 31 of 12-12
Half way there and getting fat hips. She's looking good man.

Half way there and getting fat hips. She's looking good man.

Thank ya JJJ! Your girls are putting it on nicely too! :high-five:

Can't wait for that Scooby Snack smoke report..

Nice fatties! I think you're done with stretch by now.

Thank ya sir! Looks like I could've lollipopped a bit more. But now I totally get your point. #nolarf

Will have a different plant structure next grow and should be able to do this more cleanly.

Mannn...those colas are absolute BEASTS. The extra training looks to be really paying off. @InTheShed is right. Time to watch these babies swell...

Cheers Abstrakt! :high-five:

Yes, I could do things that someone with a full garden could not possibly have the time to do, like pinching/supercropping every single internode space on the plant... :laugh:

For how skinny she is (relatively), she's very, very strong!

Budlicious brother. They’re getting big man and going to get even bigger

Lol I still can't believe it :yummy:

She looks quality mate. Fattening up nicely.

Cheers Vet! :Namaste:

Super fluffy in the silhouette. She’s looking very promising :p That’s a nice photo.

I don't know if I have an eye for good photos, but I do have an eye for drama, which I think sometimes makes for good photos :laugh:

She's got one of those nondescript lightly fruity smells. I would call it "mango", but that's certainly a stretch.

End of a strange and dark week for me. All is looking up for the weekend, though!

Desert, day 34 of 12-12

The obligatory drama of the dining table at night.

IMG_9755.jpeg

Can see some burnt tips here, which leads me to conclude that the yellowing is not a result of N def. This could be either due to excess nutes or light stress.

IMG_9760.jpeg

Buuuds! Froooost!

IMG_9757.jpeg

IMG_9762.jpeg

And here she is in the daylight. Compared to a week ago, the yellow hasn't really progressed upwards.

IMG_9763.jpeg

I'm still hopeful I'm right about the light stress. There's been no necrosis in the yellow leaves which I would've expected if this were N def. Even the one that looks like it has no green left in it at the bottom-right. I've tugged lightly on some of the most yellow leaves and there's no give.

Grub, day 36

Secondary growth is starting to pop!

IMG_9765.jpeg

IMG_9767.jpeg

:surf: :yummy::ganjamon::hookah:

Back
Top Bottom