GC's First Indoor Cabinet Grow

When I do hempy with verm added I use verm as a wick it prevents root racing/bungee jumping and bounding. I layer 1 inch of verm on bottom of pot then I place a paper towel tube in center of pot and fill Perlite around it then I fill the tube with verm to the top. This way I can feed from the bottom up and it seems to bound or drop less and form a decent root ball.
<3 hempy it is the closest I been to hydro....

hmmm...interesting. I decided on hempy because of it's simplicity (and, I'm lazy). Now you go and complicate it with all these ideas...lol. Thx for the input. I will defo play with the mix next time around and see what kind of impact it may provide.

I tryed hempy for the same reason and really it's much more complicated than soil imo. Very little margin for error like with all hydro. The one issue I was sure I wouldn't have with hempy, over watering, I ended up having the whole time.

You would think, but the reality is, in the few side-by-side tests I've seen on this very aspect, there was NO advantage to reservoir aeration.

Well, the essence of a hempy is to have a "reservoir" created in the bottom of the bucket as a result of the hole drilled in it. While it isn't open, so to speak, it doesn't need aeration. In a regular pot, you don't have the quasi-reservoir as the drainage holes are on the bottom or bottom corner of the pot.

There have been a number of journals I read where people put air stones in their hempy res with no perceived improvement. Mine are still quite young (2 weeks today) but they seem to be thriving.

Yea when I do hempy I put the hole about 2 inches or a lil higher so I can't over water , I figured if bubbly fizzy water was goin up a lots it might act like hydro or w/e... I know when I do it the classic method roots cruise and sometimes push the perlite up and out of the pot when it bounds real bad. I stopped doin it but I still find it interesting. I never done hydro before but I am interested in trying it out. I will be doing sedimentary Hempy next summer outdoors to save money on medium.... Cheers and wow your SCROG looks like you got a plant in each square haha so uniform <3

Does "Big Drippa" on potting soil count as Hydro guys? If so , 3 pounds of bud one plant using Walsmart (Walmart brand Potting soil) in a 5 or so gallon planter. I think it was bigger than 5 gallons but I was a bigger guy then too.... I used the 5-1-1 fish emulsion the old style before it changed from Alaska Fish Emulsion to Alaska Fish Fertilizer. The product looks close in texture and color as it did before but I notice now , it adds oxygen to the water or what ever the f those bubbles are , mixes finer with no chunks and smells less offensive big time. So I dunno... I notice it does not feed like the old stuff , old stuff took a few days to kick in this will kick in same day and burn same day old stuff never burned anything ever. Old stuff I was up to double dosages of food per water. I dunno why we gotta change good things :(

I checked them this evening and decided to go ahead and feed them. I'll say right up front, I should have waited at least another day. I'm still learning how to read the weight and dribble, but at least my instincts were right. Anyway, I mixed a gallon of RO water (9.2 ppm) with: 1 ML CaliMagic, 3.5 ML Floraduo part A, .5 ML part B. pH'd to 5.8, (TDS - 650). I turned them around and peeked. Little sis still lags, but insists on growing symmetrically and new growth all over. Big sis is rocking. From the time I leave for work @ 7a, to the time I get home @ 4p, the growth is noticeable. Here are a couple shots under "the light".

The_girls_10_10_13.JPG

Big_Sis_10_10_13.JPG

Big_Sis_undergrowth.JPG

Little_Sis_10_10_13.JPG

Little_Sis_side_10_10_13.JPG

I will say this, so far, I'm quite pleased with "hempy" as a grow method. I'm excited and enthusiastic, but I'm still lazy and want a low-maintenance operation (lmao...2 plants is an "operation"). This is nothing more than checking them daily, and watering/feeding as needed. This process of checking them involves nothing more than making a couple notes, checking the surface of the growing medium for moisture, tilting/lifting the bucket to check consumption, monitoring temp/Humidity and maybe a little bucket rotation...easy, peasy. As a "control" grow, this has been relatively straight-forward and trouble-free thus far.

I checked them tonight and the larger one seems like it may have grown an inch today. Both are still healthy and doing well and even the smaller one continues to show signs of new growth and overall progress. Big Sis is starting to drink. I got no dribble from her res when I checked her earlier, where the little one is still about 1/2 full. I'll check closer later tonight and mix some soup for her tomorrow morning if it really is dry. Tomorrow marks 3 weeks and I can boost the nutes, but will go one more feeding at this strength (~650ppm) for Big Sis. She liked the last dose, and I plan to veg at least 2 more weeks if space allows. I'd like to get at least 5 weeks veg on them before flip and I think I'll have the room.

Well, I fed/watered this a.m. I only intended to feed Big Sis and she took about 2/3 Gal (a few pints more than last feeding on Thursday). Little Sis was still just under 1/2 full but I went ahead and top-watered her with a pint of soup. I'm still running only about 1/2 strength and 650ppm. This should work well for the next 4-5 days. I'll post more pics later this week, once there's more to show. ;)

Back
Top Bottom