GlimmerGrass's Maiden Grow - Crop King Seeds' Early Miss Auto Fem in Coir - 2015

Your girls are looking great! I think the tap root pushed Scylla to the surface. Good call on adding coco around her. The only time a plant should need support would be for heavy bud growth. I have a fan blowing down at a 45* angle. She waves and shakes constantly. Get some wind on them soon! That shower stall idea is a good one! You have a built in drain already set up! What size pots are you going to transfer your girls into?!

Have you tried mixed spectrum CFL growing? Such as a 6500K / 5000K veg?

Hi Glimmer..I have always sprouted seeds in paper towels the same way you do with great success and sometimes also like you I left them for to long and they would start growing into and through the paper towel searching for moisture.. I've never grown autos and just started with fem seeds..I start off my ph at 6.5 and work down from there.. I'm going to try a few at 5.5 and see what happens..thanks

Hi Glimmer..I have always sprouted seeds in paper towels the same way you do with great success just a different veg food and sometimes also like you I left them for to long and they would start growing into and through the paper towel searching for moisture.. I've never grown autos and just started with fem seeds..I start off my ph at 6.5 and work down from there.. I'm going to try a few at 5.5 and see what happens..thanks

Hi Glimmer..I have always sprouted seeds in paper towels the same way you do with great success just a different veg food and sometimes also like you I left them for to long and they would start growing into and through the paper towel searching for moisture.. I've never grown autos and just started with fem seeds..I start off my ph at 6.5 and work down from there.. I'm going to try a few at 5.5 and see what happens..thanks

Thanks, bcblazer, love your avatar :) O CANADA!

This is my first grow ever so the autos just seemed easier - more tolerant of light irregularities (until I get or make a real light-proofed grow tent/cabinet). And because they're autos I'm not tempted to try anything fancier than LSTing (but I really want to try the manifold/mainlining technique -- I find the topiary approach to pot growing very appealing, aesthetically :))

Once I got the temperature for the germinating right it was a breeze -- my poor first two seeds were clearly drowned and then frozen to death :(

Thanks for stopping by!

Would finding some 6500k help things at this point?

Probably. I have a veg box that I usually run mixed (2 x 6500K / 1 x 5000K) which I try to veg for about 6 - 7 weeks while topping it a couple times to keep it nice and close to the light.

So as long as you have a week and a half plus of veg left... adding 6500Ks could help you out.

20150814_225622_1_.jpg

^^ this is 6500K / 2700K ^^ .... but a 6500K / 5000K is better for vegging.

I notice last night that a root had reached the bottom of the little coco pots I put the germinated seeds into, so this afternoon I repotted the girls into their 5 gallon final homes: here are some pics

Scylla and Charybis before:
IMG_59147.jpg

These are the SmartPots I'm using:
IMG_59155.jpg

And this is the coco coir -- the only brand they had in a nearby hydroponic shop: Gold Label Coco. I mixed it with about 1/10th perlite. As I was ladelling the coco into the Smart Pot I broke up any larger pieces. I really enjoy that, I've enjoyed making sure the tilth is good with any soil I use and the coco feels beautifully soil-like. Nice smell, so clean and lovely to work with.
IMG_59168.jpg

This is Scylla's root mass -- I was really interested in seeing how she was coming along! I decided to take the plants out of the little coco pots entirely -- I know they can grow through the coco pots but seeing as they're autos I didn't want them wasting any energy -- just want them to have access to all the new medium right away.
IMG_59174.jpg

And this is Charybdis.
IMG_59185.jpg

This is Charybdis in her new home:
IMG_59196.jpg

And this is Scylla:
IMG_59208.jpg

We in the process of setting up the lights in the shower -- at the moment the girls are in their new pots under the old lights but we'll be adding more!

Okay, we're at day 13 and I've moved the plants into the shower stall.

IMG_59215.jpg

We set up a simple system to hang the clamp lights and make them adjustable: There's a length of 1 x 2 across the top of the shower enclosure, just resting against the lip. String is tied around this and runs down to:

IMG_59227.jpg

A 1 x 3 on edge, with holes drilled in it. The string goes from the upper piece of wood down to the lower, through the hole and then back up where it' clamped at the desired length. The clamp fixtures are clamped onto this.

IMG_59235.jpg

My timer is at the outlet, I have an extension cord and a power bar plugged into it.

IMG_59247.jpg

Scylla
IMG_59269.jpg

Charybdis
IMG_59277.jpg

I'm trying to make use of the reflectors but I can't fit the splitters in and keep them. I may have to rig up another kind of reflector when I move up to more lights.

And I added my 2700K 40w CFL in the middle, to give the girls a mixed spectrum. I'll try to find some 6500K bulbs, too. Thanks for the advice, EventHorizon!

Looking good, keep in mind that autos have a tendency to stunt easier, therefore pruning and repotting can sometimes stunt the growth. I grew my seedlings in rockwool and placed it in a net pot with those red corn pebbles once the roots peaked (still kind of transplanting). Either way, something to keep in mind when you weigh in and for next time.

Looking good, keep in mind that autos have a tendency to stunt easier, therefore pruning and repotting can sometimes stunt the growth. I grew my seedlings in rockwool and placed it in a net pot with those red corn pebbles once the roots peaked (still kind of transplanting). Either way, something to keep in mind when you weigh in and for next time.

Thanks for the advice, urbanpharm - I will definitely keep that in mind for the future!

Hi Glimmer!!

I love your set up!! The shower stall?!? That's freakin brilliant! Sure makes for easy clean up!

If you don't mind I would like to tag along! I'm always excited to meet fellow Canadians!

All the best my friend!

Back
Top Bottom