Graytail Goes LED - 810W Intelligent-Gro II w/ High Brix

I dont know if you remember now but with my first run with the kit i gave the cat drench at the same time that you have GF2 the drench, and i found that my buds were smaller than the run before in non HB soil of the same cuts but they were some of the tightest denses buds...all the way to the very bottom nug...just rocks! so i would expect you see something along the same lines if i had to guess....:roorrip::roorrip:

Im getting the same issue with the discoloration/ mag def look to 2 of my mothers ive noticed the last couple days. i figured they need some epsom too....

according to your calculations....How much do you add to a gallon of H2O?

You're hittin' all the right notes...and it's a frikken symphony of buds. :circle-of-love:

:thanks: :slide:

Mate I have LED fever. I am waiting for a friend who wants to buy at the same time but I'm getting to the point where I'm ready to buy already. Really enjoyed your journal so far. Count me in and subbed.

Great to have you, Growlow! - I've been seeing you around. Thank you. :cheesygrinsmiley: I'm really pleased with my Intelligent-Gro so far. I just got it set up in the bloom room today. :thumb:

Hey Gray...lookin good bro. Lots to keep ya busy eh! Have you heard about B.I.D.? What a shock this is...can't stop thinking of him and his loved ones.
Have you considered entering in potm?They just about have the 25 entries already this month.Anyhow hats off to your grow pal...lookin good! Cheers eh!:passitleft:

LOL, I don't think I have a winner! I looked my Carnival over carefully and there just wasn't any way to make it look presentable. It was all cooked and whitefly-ridden. I have a Utopia Haze vegging, though, that might end up being worth entering in October. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Bad news about BID, yes. Even though we're all separated, and only here in mind and spirit, it still seems kinda quiet and glum around 420 today. Death is hardest when it doesn't seem fair. It doesn't seem fair that BID had to go, y'know?

I dont know if you remember now but with my first run with the kit i gave the cat drench at the same time that you have GF2 the drench, and i found that my buds were smaller than the run before in non HB soil of the same cuts but they were some of the tightest denses buds...all the way to the very bottom nug...just rocks! so i would expect you see something along the same lines if i had to guess....:roorrip::roorrip:

Im getting the same issue with the discoloration/ mag def look to 2 of my mothers ive noticed the last couple days. i figured they need some epsom too....

according to your calculations....How much do you add to a gallon of H2O?

Good to know! :thumb:

Here's how it looks right now, 11 days after the drench, 8 days since pistils.

DSCN60401.JPG

DSCN6043.JPG

I've been doing one tablespoon of epsoms per 6 gallon plant in a quart or so of water. That gives me some room to add more later, I think.

Gray...about BID...it was his thread,testing the new light that i got, getting to know him just a little.He will be missed by many,i'm sure:(
If i may comment on epsoms...the trick is to start giving them just a wee bit ...before they tell you .What iv'e found also ,is it's better to give a bit for two or three drinks then without for a few .It takes very little of it to work. With this H.B. soil we got goin on here...very well balanced, heavy eaters (indica's) or like the OG family seem to need a little more than the "kit" can provide. Doc's working on a special drench for strains...as he puts it "frankenstrains" that require more mag.Also Gray..tried a few tweeks this time round...you know about the big pots and all, but i also gave them the "recharge"a good three weeks before flip,two weeks or so after that they both got a solid ,2" of w.w. ewc.Giving the recharge earlier like that,i believe,gave the minerals more time to break down and become available .Just a thought eh!Cheers Gray.:tokin:

Very nice mate. Those are some nice stalks you have there :)

:thanks::Namaste:

Gray...about BID...it was his thread,testing the new light that i got, getting to know him just a little.He will be missed by many,i'm sure:(
If i may comment on epsoms...the trick is to start giving them just a wee bit ...before they tell you .What iv'e found also ,is it's better to give a bit for two or three drinks then without for a few .It takes very little of it to work. With this H.B. soil we got goin on here...very well balanced, heavy eaters (indica's) or like the OG family seem to need a little more than the "kit" can provide. Doc's working on a special drench for strains...as he puts it "frankenstrains" that require more mag.Also Gray..tried a few tweeks this time round...you know about the big pots and all, but i also gave them the "recharge"a good three weeks before flip,two weeks or so after that they both got a solid ,2" of w.w. ewc.Giving the recharge earlier like that,i believe,gave the minerals more time to break down and become available .Just a thought eh!Cheers Gray.:tokin:

I'm just starting to fiddle around with epsoms, so thanks for the advice. :cheesygrinsmiley:

I don't think any of us have nailed down the "right" time to add the amendment recharge. I settled into doing it at about the same time I did the drench, along with the EWC, at 3-4 weeks after the flip. But I think you may be right about the minerals coming earlier. I know I'm more comfortable with an earlier dressing of EWC, a couple weeks after the flip - I've gotten too much early yellowing in my grows so far. I stopped the recharge for the time being because I think I'm probably heavy on amendment already.

:bongrip:

Thanks for the invite Graytail! No wonder you were nominated for MOTM last month, great thread, definitely going to keep an eye on that Blue Blood. All caught up ;) cya!

Great to have you here, SoilGirl!

Heheh, you're fortunate there were only 6 pages to read so far. :cheesygrinsmiley:

I have great hopes for my Blue Blood. I actually had to fight for it. The first one was a dud, so I contacted the vendor and got a replacement - this one sprouted jus' fine. :slide:

Great to have you here, SoilGirl!

Heheh, you're fortunate there were only 6 pages to read so far. :cheesygrinsmiley:

I have great hopes for my Blue Blood. I actually had to fight for it. The first one was a dud, so I contacted the vendor and got a replacement - this one sprouted jus' fine. :slide:
Hahaha, yeah 6 pages made me happy no lies :blalol: my subbed list is a little daunting at times Lol, sometimes I think, "so this is what hard work feels like......." just kidding :rollit: well, mostly kidding.
It's good to know you can go back and get them to replace it if its a dud. I have high hopes for your BB as well :high-five: the better yours does, the better I'll handle mine the way I see it ;) we both will be using some big-azz LED's and growing in soil so this will be a good learning experience. :popcorn: I just wish I knew more about electronics/wiring... I'm kind of worried the old wiring here won't let my Mars II 1600 reach its full potential, but I'll worry about that when I get there I suppose >.<

I'm also excited about the Blueberry being the main influence in the terpenes coming across, but with a little diesel fuel in the undertones. Sounds amazingly unique. Oh by the way awesome terpenes post a few pages back, very informative, I forgot to rep you for that so here you go haha. :passitleft:

Wow, this Intelligent-Gro II 810W runs cool! I've had it running in the bloom room for a week and, Wow!

I'm honestly shocked. I've been paying attention, and people have said their LEDs are cooler, but the numbers are usually all mixed up - they often compare rated wattages which isn't fair. And I have a pretty good understanding of physics, so something that consumes 540 watts in a closed environment should produce roughly the same heat as a 600 watt device. I figured, meh, maybe a degree or two difference. Nu uh - BIG difference! I haven't logged temps, and the conditions of the intake air vary constantly, but this light is a completely different experience. Temps have been in the high 70s vs low 80s. My intake air is room temp at 72-77 which would typically produce highs in the bloom room from 80-85 using the 600W hps, an 8 point rise. With the Intelligent-Gro I'm getting half that or less, a 4 point rise. I wish I'd set it up in the bloom room right away during my heat wave! I could have easily kept temps under 85.

So, for those who run a 4x4 tent, 540 watts of Intelligent-Gro LED can easily be vented with a low-volume 4 inch flue and fan. Cool! :slide: I'm jazzed!

I've been in a bit of a dark funk for the past week. Growing has been only marginally rewarding for awhile now - no exciting new strains to harvest, environmental issues, ugly plants - bah. I let my whiteflies party a bit too hearty and they really trashed the place, invited the entire neighborhood, etc. Most of them split when I pulled out the Bug&Pest, but the stragglers are always the most annoying. I'll do another spraying tomorrow and go from there. And then there's the mold, which I haven't done anything about. I wanted to see how it works. It's not really much of an issue for my room until the final swell, when it begins to thrive, and then it keeps the plants from completing the finish. It's also interesting to see how some strains are so much more resistant than others. I may break down and get a sulfur burner, which should pretty much toast the whiteflies, too.

This Grapefruit really looks nice. :cheesygrinsmiley: The mistaken early drench has done exactly what I hoped it would, producing a strong early pistil set and then fading to allow the plant to mature more naturally. I followed the drench with two plain waters, then gave it a dose of Energy/Tea. The closeups are all blurry, but it really does look great. :cheesygrinsmiley:

GF2 - 103 days old - 22 days 12/12 - 12 days since pistils - brix 9/9
DSCN60791.JPG

DSCN6080.JPG

DSCN60821.JPG

DSCN6083.JPG

The Carnivals, on the other hand, don't look great. I've thoroughly searched my THC-enhanced memory and I think there's a possibility that I may have overdosed 'em on Transplant. When I potted 'em, I gave 'em a good strong dose of Transplant water and I think I may have overdone it. They turned on me right after I gave them a dose of Energy/Tea a week later, which puzzled me. They started yellowing and getting stiff a few days after that, like an overdose, root damage. I also considered too much intensity from the LED panel, because the yellowing is on the leaves with the most light. At least they're finally showing some improvement. They're too far into the flip to fully recover, so I'm expecting small yields from these two, but the quality should be good if I can get 'em hooked up.

Brix is way down across the board and, of course, I have no idea why. My soil may just need to resort the biota after the big flush and recycle.

Carn4 - 74 days old - 3 days 12/12 - brix 10/10
DSCN60991.JPG

DSCN61004.JPG

DSCN6101.JPG

DSCN61022.JPG

Carn5 - 74 days old - 3 days 12/12 - brix 10/11
DSCN61032.JPG

DSCN61041.JPG

DSCN61052.JPG

DSCN6106.JPG

The Utopia Hazes are looking fabulous! The tall girl, UH2, took the supercropping in stride, like a thoroughbred, and settled in at about 36 inches like a good well-behaved plant. She's completely dedicated to making flowers now, and has that same gorgeous open habit that my first one had - a simple framework of branches with nodes for growing hard solid nugs. :yahoo:

UH2 - 72 days old - 18 days 12/12 -3 days since pistils - brix 10/11
DSCN60861.JPG

DSCN6087.JPG

DSCN6089.JPG

DSCN60911.JPG

UH1 is a surprise to me. I didn't think such an open-habit sativa could be LSTed so effectively. This looks just like any other hybrid I've trained. I have high hopes for this one.

UH1 - 72 days old - 18 days 12/120- brix 10/10
DSCN60931.JPG

DSCN6095.JPG

DSCN6096.JPG

DSCN60971.JPG

Destroyer is starting to take a shape. It still looks like an indica dom but it has great genetics, so I'll be patient and wait to see what I got. I'll be able to take cuts in a week or so.

Destroyer - 49 days old - brix 8/9
DSCN6110.JPG

DSCN6111.JPG

DSCN61121.JPG

I have another Carnival cut that looks just as bad as her sisters. I'm going to keep it as a mother, so I don't really care what it looks like right now. I potted it yesterday.

Carn6 - 67 days old
DSCN61131.JPG

DSCN61142.JPG

DSCN61151.JPG

Got another Grapefruit cut going ...

GF3 - 44 days old
DSCN61162.JPG

DSCN61172.JPG

DSCN61181.JPG

Buddha Haze took to her new digs very well - the picture of health right now.

Buddha Haze - 21 days old
DSCN6119.JPG

DSCN61203.JPG

DSCN61211.JPG

Blue Blood surprised me by filling her cup a lot faster than I expected. She needed water, so I popped her out of the cup and she had roots circling already, just like the Buddha Haze - I gotta keep a closer eye. So I up-potted her to a 1.5 gallon as a reward. Good girl!

Blue Blood - 9 days old
DSCN6108.JPG

DSCN61092.JPG

DSCN61222.JPG

DSCN61242.JPG

DSCN61252.JPG

UH2 cuts are doing great ...

UH2 Cuts - 19 days old
DSCN61261.JPG

DSCN6127.JPG

DSCN61281.JPG

Here are a couple of them still in water. They're growing roots after 19 days. :cheesygrinsmiley:

DSCN61291.JPG

DSCN61302.JPG

Carnival cuts in water after a week ...

DSCN61311.JPG

UH1 cuts in water after 12 days ... I had to pull three of them because the stems got clear gooey rot on them, so it's not foolproof.

DSCN6132.JPG

Here's a shot of one of my 15 gallon soil bins, about to be closed up for the recycle cook. There's 6 gallons of used soil, covered in 3 lbs of EWC and a sprinkling of Roots and a bunch of plant trimmings, then another 6 gallons, repeated. I'll turn this over several times during the next month, and then it'll wait for its turn in rotation.

DSCN61332.JPG

Nice update GT!

EVERYONE looks great but UH2 and 1 are looking Prime!!!!!

UH2 is wild :hippy: alot of bud sites for sure!!

and UH1 looks like shes gonna be a BEAUTE!!!!

How many times "used" is the soil u r cooking here?

Thanks, SGA!

I've gone through two full grows for each pot so far, so these are in third run soil. We'll see. I'm likely high in salts and calcium.

I just wish I knew more about electronics/wiring... I'm kind of worried the old wiring here won't let my Mars II 1600 reach its full potential, but I'll worry about that when I get there I suppose >.<

I wanted to reply to this. :cheesygrinsmiley:

It's good to think about electrical safety issues kinda like lightning. It's hardly ever worth bothering about, but when it is, it's a great big deal. So you don't want to make things up to be scared about, but you also want to avoid golfing during thunderstorms, for instance, and fishing on a lake is a bad idea, etc.

That panel draws significant power, like non-extension cord kind of power, like toaster power. If you wanted to run your toaster for several hours on end, how would you approach powering it? Does that idea rattle you a bit?

So, you want to consider this sort of thing soberly. It will mainly depend on what else is on that circuit, which can be a pain the the azz. If it's just room lights and small stuff, you're fine. But you want to add up anything else 100+ watts or so. A household circuit is usually 15 amps (1800 watts) and safe for continuous use at 80% of that, which is 12 amps (1440 watts). Your panel draws 780 watts.

:Namaste:

[Edit] And for the readership in general: The problem with old iffy wiring is the rough places where it's bent or stretched or corroded. Those areas have a higher resistance to current and will heat up as it passes through. At a low draw it doesn't matter much, but as the power goes up the heat goes up and the metal wiring starts to get a little softer and any flaw gets a little worse, so it gets hotter and worse, and then ... if you're lucky, it just breaks with a little spark ... somewhere ...

So that's why we think soberly about higher current like several hundred watts. :Namaste:

The replacement Nepalese Jam is up and awake. :cheesygrinsmiley:

DSCN6148.JPG

And here's what the Utopia Haze cuts in water look like after 22 days. I stuck one of them in a cup of wet soil today - update on Monday. :cheesygrinsmiley:

DSCN61541.JPG

Hi Graytail. I just finished catching up on this journal. Glad I found this only 7 pages in. So much good information in just those 7 pages. Hope you don't mind if I tag along. You have such a wealth of knowledge and I just want to sit back and enjoy the ride. The Intelligentgro is such a sophisticated grow light and so intriguing and your plants look amazing. I need to read up more on Doc Bud's High Brix Kit also.

Brother! Man you just keep pumping out the harvests! What's your environment like in the summer and are you still using 7 gal containers? Since switching to bigger pots as well as really dialing in my room's temp, co2 and RH I'm seeing incredible plant health. whitefly problem and mold sucks bro sorry I'd be giving that room a real good clean, maybe get a sulfur burner if you don't have one already? I know how it's hard to break the cycle but I'm sure you can straighten everything out and keep it going! It's incredible how your perpetual runs I haven't accomplished monthly harvests yet, but I think I'm close. Good luck brother may happy sticky plants come your way!

This got me thinking. I don't see a lot of other people scheduling their harvests for 2-3 plants per month. When my perpetual gets rolling I chop a new plant or two, every week or two. I love that! I get a lil fresh sumpin sumpin on a regular basis and I never have to trim more than 3 ounces at a time. So I decided to see how my harvest are scheduled through the end of the year.

I'm still in 6 gallon square plastic pots and Curso's been trying to talk me into fabric pots ;) , but these square ones work really well in my space. I'm ok with growing small plants (a 3 ounce yield feels good but I can't smoke that much so what's the point?), so rather than go bigger pots, I'll try to keep the plants small. And hardly anyone makes square fabric pots, so that limits how many I can get into the room, unless I let the sides touch and that disturbs me, maybe it shouldn't.

I gotta get my room fixed up a bit. I have to insulate for winter - last year I was heating exposed concrete and had frost on the inside walls - a 500 watt heater, 600 watt hps, and I was still getting frost. :thedoubletake: So I'll put up some good 1 inch foam and line the inside in panda film. This Intelligent-Gro II 810W is even cooler than I though, now that I've been monitoring it better. I get a 2 degree rise in temps! - 2 degrees with a stinkin' 50CFM 4 inch flue! That's vs 8 degrees with the 600W hps. So I now have temps under full control and humidity is usually ok. I'll destroy my whiteflies when I redo the room, and invest in a sulfur burner and whew, then ... I'll have everything except CO2. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Here's my harvest schedule: :slide:

Sep 21 - Grapefruit Cut2 - 145 days, 9 weeks 12/12
Oct 5 - Carnival Cuts4&5 - 130 days, 9 weeks 12/12
Oct 12 - Utopia Haze2 - 135 days, 11 weeks 12/12
Oct 19 - Utopia Haze1 - 142 days, 11 weeks 12/12
Nov 2 - Destroyer - 133 days, 11 weeks 12/12
Nov 2 - Carnival Cut6 - 158 days, 9 weeks 12/12
Nov 23 - Grapefruit Cut3 - 149 days, 9 weeks
Nov 23 - Blue Blood - 121 days, 8 weeks
Dec 7 - Buddha Haze - 147 days, 12 weeks
Dec 21 - Utopia Haze2 Cut - 152 days, 11 weeks
Dec 21 - Nexus - 127 days, 9 weeks