Graytail Goes LED - 810W Intelligent-Gro II w/ High Brix

Update time - lotsa pics coming!

It's been three weeks since I fired up the Intelligent-Gro and a couple things are quite clear: One is that 540 watts of 11-band LEDs at 18 inches beats the crap outta 644 watts of CFLs at 2 inches. Duh. That's now confirmed. :cheesygrinsmiley: It's also clear that LEDs grow really nice plants. These are some of the best plants I've ever vegged. Once the pots dried out, they got all spiky and started to grow like crazy - beautiful color too, with the dark fans and lime new growth. I like it.

I'm going to add a plant to this journal, since it just went into the bloom room last week and will spend the rest of its life under the LED. This is my second cut from Grapefruit, and the best looking one I've grown so far. It's a finicky pheno, usually starting out with pale dull leaves. I think it's a hungry one, so I fed it stronger this time along with some espoms, and it liked it. Brix is still kinda sucky at 12, but they've all read low. This is also the plant that I put into a pot of undisturbed, unrecycled soil from a very high brix Carnival I harvested, as an experiment. It didn't react well at first but has steadily gotten better.

GF2 - 89 days old - 7 days 12/12 - brix 12/12
DSCN58741.JPG

DSCN5875.JPG

DSCN58771.JPG

DSCN58792.JPG

DSCN58802.JPG

Last week, I was considering whether to top Utopia Haze2 or keep the four tops as they were. Well, I suddenly realized that I had run out of time to decide since it was at 17 inches and the first one I ran was a rather fierce stretcher. Since the other UH is a well-trained LST, I decided to let this one rip and popped it into 12/12 on Tuesday. In the 5 days since, it's grown 6 inches. :straightface:

UH2 - 58 days old - 4 days 12/12 - brix 12/13
DSCN58813.JPG

DSCN58822.JPG

DSCN58832.JPG

DSCN58842.JPG

Utopia Haze1 will get flipped this weekend. Wow, does this look good, like a nice well-behaved hybrid! It'll be fun to see how the two training methods work out.

UH1 - 58 days old - brix 13/14
DSCN58863.JPG

DSCN58874.JPG

DSCN58882.JPG

The two Carnival cuts are also some of the best I've started. These look fine! They're at 14 and 15 inches with another couple to go before the flip.

Carn4 - 60 days old - brix 11/12

DSCN58892.JPG

DSCN58902.JPG

DSCN58914.JPG

Carn5 - 60 days old - brix 11/12
DSCN58923.JPG

DSCN58932.JPG

DSCN58944.JPG

I'm not sure what to think of Destroyer. On the one hand it's a gorgeous plant! On the other hand, um, why does a Columbian sativa x Mexican sativa x Meao Thai look like this? I mean, gorgeous, yeah, but shouldn't it look like a sativa? :hmmmm: It's sure a sturdy, vigorous lil 9 incher. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Destroyer - 35 days old
DSCN58952.JPG

DSCN58963.JPG

DSCN58972.JPG

Here are the babies. Buddha Haze is 2 weeks old and Blue Blood is 2 days old.

DSCN58983.JPG

DSCN58992.JPG

DSCN59002.JPG

I have another couple of Carnival cuts on deck ...

DSCN59011.JPG

DSCN5902.JPG

DSCN5903.JPG

Here are the Utopia Haze cuts I took last week and stuck in water. They all look amazingly good. No sign of nubbies yet, but they should be ready to plant in another week.

DSCN59041.JPG

DSCN5905.JPG

DSCN5906.JPG

DSCN5907.JPG

DSCN5908.JPG

Group shot:

DSCN59101.JPG

:slide:

Always alot to see here on update time in GT's garden!!! lovely pics no doubt about that!!!:)

@ that destroyer you have, either they got some seeds mixed up or you just have a pheno with some serious recessive gentics to be that small from all those sativas LOLOL :hmmmm::hmmmm: It looks damn good though anyways....just like they all do!

Glad to see you are happy with the light so far!:)

I'd like to post a bit of a rant: :cheesygrinsmiley:

It's becoming clear that middle America, the "silent majority" whatever you want to call them, are moderating their views about the illegality of marijuana. But there's a fear that is rising to prominence. Whenever you watch discussions about legalization, people, particularly women, worry about youngsters - they fear that it'll be easier for the kids to get it.

Seriously?????

Folks, whenever we hear this in our daily lives, please take a moment to reply and set them straight. Sure, I think almost all of us agree that it's not a healthy thing for young growing minds - it's not a silly thing to be concerned about. But... it's illegal for kids to have it now and it'll stay illegal for them, so there's no difference at all in the law. What will the difference be? The difference will be that most adults will buy their cannabis at a legal store, just like booze.

So, my answer is to point out that nothing in the law changes for kids, and I then ask them to think about two questions ...

1.) What kid can't get his hands on pot now?????? C'mon.

2.) So when your kid decides he's going to get himself some pot ... do you want him getting it from the neighborhood gang hustler or from his friend's older brother who bought it in a licensed store?

Followup question if they don't seem to be getting it ... :

3.) do you want him getting his booze from a bootlegger or from his friends older brother who bought it at the licensed store?

:cheesygrinsmiley:

It's an on going old canard that politicians love to use...."What about the children?..."We have to think about the children!"..."We have to protect the children!!"

Preying upon the fears of uninformed parents...I'm so tired of ALL politicians bullshit...doesn't matter what side of the aisle you may sit on...they ALL zoom us for their own benefit/advancement.

When will we all learn? I think you all know the answer to that...:rolleyes3

It's becoming clear that middle America, the "silent majority" whatever you want to call them, are moderating their views about the illegality of marijuana. But there's a fear that is rising to prominence. Whenever you watch discussions about legalization, people, particularly women, worry about youngsters - they fear that it'll be easier for the kids to get it.

Seriously?????

Folks, whenever we hear this in our daily lives, please take a moment to reply and set them straight. Sure, I think almost all of us agree that it's not a healthy thing for young growing minds - it's not a silly thing to be concerned about. But... it's illegal for kids to have it now and it'll stay illegal for them, so there's no difference at all in the law. What will the difference be? The difference will be that most adults will buy their cannabis at a legal store, just like booze.

So, my answer is to point out that nothing in the law changes for kids, and I then ask them to think about two questions ...

2.) So when your kid decides he's going to get himself some pot ... do you want him getting it from the neighborhood gang hustler or from his friend's older brother who bought it in a licensed store?

3.) do you want him getting his booze from a bootlegger or from his friends older brother who bought it at the licensed store?

Gray...well said my brother! People just don't get it Gray. You are right on the money bro.!:thumb:

Seriously?????

Hey Graytail!!!

First off I want to tell you that your grow is looking amazing!! and really awesome to hear that the LED is producting better growth than CFL :) sweet!

I was curious to know, have you noticed any increase/decrease in Brix with LED vs previous growing methods?

Other than that... Love your "rant" on the scare tactics still being recited today in attempt to shine negative light on cannabis. I 420% agree.... I think the exact same thoughts when I hear someone say.. "it will be easier for kids to get"...well that BS because the Feds just did a raid on like 20 of Colorado's dispensaries to see if they would sell to minors...guess how many of them did....Zero!! So I'd love to see these cannabis haters actually show us proof its easier to get for minors because the studies just don't seem to show the same effect.. I mean I've been smoking herb since I was 13 years old, now in my 30's... and I never had a problem getting herb, even growing up in an illegal state.... the problems though was you never knew what bud you got, what was sprayed on it, if it was moldy (which a lot of times it was) and so not only was it easy to get, but also was black market, so I constantly was getting respitory illnesses due to the mold in the buds....

Another point you said which I love is when you talked about getting it from a gang hustler or from a licensed store... YEP...hit the nail on the head with this one... the reason we have had such a problem with gang violence and cartels is there has been this prohibition for so many years.. So when people have to buy from gangs...then guess what, that money essentially goes to buy more drugs, guns and such... so crime goes up.... What happens when we flood the free drug market with retail stores...Crime goes down, as we currently are seeing in Colorado, as well as studies in California have also shown...

I always like to look at it this way....In my childhood my father was an alcoholic...he spend our families money, never was home, constant drama and arguments and such...Then about when I was 10 or so, he went to AA, supplemented his addiction from alcohol to cannabis...and guess what.... I actually had a Dad then...someone who cared, someone who was around for his family, someeone that took time out for his son....This would have never happened if he would have continued to drink...but by supplementing the addiction with cannabis, I finally had a father, who showed how kind, and awesome he was, but someone I would have never met if it wasn't for cannabis.... My question to the cannabis haters is this...would you rather have an alcoholic family member or someone who smokes pot...most people would agree...the pot is much better :)

I just really wanted to share my thoughts with you as I love how you mentioned this! I am a very strong believer that cannabis is here for humanity's good, and I wish all the haters would just smoke a joint and come down to earth :) Love your journal Graytail and love your topic conversation as well :) kudos my friend!

Hey Graytail!!!

First off I want to tell you that your grow is looking amazing!! and really awesome to hear that the LED is producting better growth than CFL :) sweet!

I was curious to know, have you noticed any increase/decrease in Brix with LED vs previous growing methods?

Other than that... Love your "rant" on the scare tactics still being recited today in attempt to shine negative light on cannabis. I 420% agree.... I think the exact same thoughts when I hear someone say.. "it will be easier for kids to get"...well that BS because the Feds just did a raid on like 20 of Colorado's dispensaries to see if they would sell to minors...guess how many of them did....Zero!! So I'd love to see these cannabis haters actually show us proof its easier to get for minors because the studies just don't seem to show the same effect.. I mean I've been smoking herb since I was 13 years old, now in my 30's... and I never had a problem getting herb, even growing up in an illegal state.... the problems though was you never knew what bud you got, what was sprayed on it, if it was moldy (which a lot of times it was) and so not only was it easy to get, but also was black market, so I constantly was getting respitory illnesses due to the mold in the buds....

Another point you said which I love is when you talked about getting it from a gang hustler or from a licensed store... YEP...hit the nail on the head with this one... the reason we have had such a problem with gang violence and cartels is there has been this prohibition for so many years.. So when people have to buy from gangs...then guess what, that money essentially goes to buy more drugs, guns and such... so crime goes up.... What happens when we flood the free drug market with retail stores...Crime goes down, as we currently are seeing in Colorado, as well as studies in California have also shown...

I always like to look at it this way....In my childhood my father was an alcoholic...he spend our families money, never was home, constant drama and arguments and such...Then about when I was 10 or so, he went to AA, supplemented his addiction from alcohol to cannabis...and guess what.... I actually had a Dad then...someone who cared, someone who was around for his family, someeone that took time out for his son....This would have never happened if he would have continued to drink...but by supplementing the addiction with cannabis, I finally had a father, who showed how kind, and awesome he was, but someone I would have never met if it wasn't for cannabis.... My question to the cannabis haters is this...would you rather have an alcoholic family member or someone who smokes pot...most people would agree...the pot is much better :)

I just really wanted to share my thoughts with you as I love how you mentioned this! I am a very strong believer that cannabis is here for humanity's good, and I wish all the haters would just smoke a joint and come down to earth :) Love your journal Graytail and love your topic conversation as well :) kudos my friend!

Actually, I'll concede the point that it'll be easier to get. My question is ... easier than what? I may be wrong, things may have changed, but I'm pretty sure the easiest place to get pot is from some kid. They have the best black market amongst themselves, good at keeping things from adults, doncha know. :cheesygrinsmiley:

And while we're on shaky ground with the cannabis/alcohol choice, I agree. It's also nice to hear it from someone who actually knows, y'know? :cheesygrinsmiley: It's just that that argument usually won't get you very far. Bad stuff is bad stuff, etc yadda yadda. But heck yes, all that black market money goes to assist crime - what's smart about that?

But the main thing is this nonsense that any kid who wants to buy pot can't buy pot now. Seriously, the kid that can't get ahold of it now? ... describe that kid! What is he, some Hassidic Jew or something? Heck, even he could still buy it - no sweat!

politics and politicians are a joke now a days and thats that if you ask me.

Their agenda is not at all that of helping we the people but instead filling their own pockets full of dirty money. With big business (espescialy pharma and oil) out there fueling the war on drugs it amazes me that any legalization of any sort has happened. For that i am soooooo very grateful that it has indeed started a hopeful complete downfall of keeping our great plant illegal.

I cant agree more that the :children: card they always pull is the most ridiculous argument and so damn stupid, but low and behold...WOW, PEOPLE BUY THE SHIT!!!!

Ignorance and propaganda hold us back so badly it hurts. What i do encourage like you said GT is to teach people the truths about cannabis. It all starts with you,me,us!!!!!

I post on facebook, i talk to people about it, i try to attend NORML public meetings, just whatever possible. Its not much but each contact you can make with people to eliminate the bad stigma with cannabis the better...obviously. and i do this in an illegal state where ignorance flies O so very high.....its a tough battle but i feel positive about it!!!

if anyone lives in a state where legalization/medical has a chance to hit the ballots and be voted on PLEASE VOTE and get everyone you know to do so...parents, friends, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, cousins friends...lol EVERYONE!!!!!!!

WE cant change the laws just talking about it,WE MUST BE ACTIVE!

Ill shut up now, i know we are on the same page here just wanted to rant:)

Great topic GT, thanks for you point of views:high-five:

:high-five::thumb:

I don't want to drag this on (I used to post on national political forums - sorry :cheesygrinsmiley:) ...

But the other thing to note is, where the issue has been voted on as a State referendum, it has succeeded in bypassing the big interests and the politicians. In States where the legislature has worked on it, it's usually been a fig-leaf gesture - very specific medical exemptions, ultra-regulated production and sales, etc.

It has to be done by the people, not the politicians. It has to be done by ballot measure/proposition/referendum, where we vote directly, and tell the politicians how we want it to be.

:high-five::thumb:

It has to be done by the people, not the politicians. It has to be done by ballot measure/proposition/referendum, where we vote directly, and tell the politicians how we want it to be.

Amen my brother!!!!

Is this a 5-star thread yet? Testing :)

LOL! I almost always search "Today's Posts" so I never see the stars. Sheesh ... already, eh?

Things are moving along nicely. :cheesygrinsmiley: The perpetual is gearing up again - got a full veg room plus lots of cuttings, with two more strains to start from seed in the next couple weeks. I moved the other Utopia Haze into flower yesterday and potted the Destroyer.

I screwed up and poured Cat drench into the wrong pot, so GF2 got an early drench, heheh - just 7 days after the flip. Oops. Early pistil production is rather fierce. :cheesygrinsmiley: It'll be good to see what happens. Here we are at 12 days from the flip:

DSCN5933.JPG

Update ... :slide:

I had a busy weekend, so stuff I planned to get done didn't get done, including moving the Intelligent-Gro II 810W panel to the bloom room - I'll get that done tomorrow. I did get pics and measurements, though. :cheesygrinsmiley:

GF2 mistakenly got drench before it even set pistils, so I want to see what happens. I've never given it early like this, especially so early, and I have a feeling it won't make a drastic difference. I'm going to just give it water for a couple feedings and then go to Energy and the regular schedule until it's ready for drench again. I'm hoping it'll just promote a tight early pistil set and so far that seems to be the case.

GF2 - 96 days old - 14 days 12/12 - 4 since pistils - brix 11/12
DSCN5963.JPG

DSCN59641.JPG

DSCN59661.JPG

DSCN5967.JPG

DSCN5968.JPG

Utopia Haze2 got away from me, heheh. I put it into 12/12 at 17 inches 12 days ago and it was at 38 inches yesterday and just hinting at pistils. :thedoubletake: I checked my charts for the first one I ran and it didn't look good - it put on another 6 inches after full pistil set. I was looking at a four-footer+. So, I broke 'er down. She was so purdy - didn't want to do it - but it was going to cause chaos trying to arrange the bloom canopy for 11 weeks, with one 4-footer and the rest under 30 inches. So I have some before and after pics. :cheesygrinsmiley:

UH2 - 65 days old - 11 days 12/12 - brix 11/12
DSCN59512.JPG

DSCN59521.JPG

DSCN5953.JPG

DSCN5954.JPG

Here she is after her adjustment - not so pretty, but it had to be done.
DSCN5971.JPG

DSCN59721.JPG

UH1 is the opposite, a thick, short, multiple-top plant. :cheesygrinsmiley: Should be fun! They're two different seeds, so they may even be different phenos.

UH1 - 65 days old - 3 days 12/12 - brix 12/13
DSCN5957.JPG

DSCN5958.JPG

DSCN5959.JPG

DSCN5960.JPG

DSCN5962.JPG

The Carnivals ain' doin' so hot and I don't know why. They were looking fabulous a week ago before I gave them Energy/Tea. Then they went all pale and deficient. I'm thinking slightly alkaline soil from excessive calcium in my water, so I'll give 'em a shot of epsoms and see if that helps. They have that magdef look to them, don't they? They'll get flipped tomorrow.

Carn4 - 67 days old - brix 12/13
DSCN5990.JPG

DSCN5991.JPG

DSCN59921.JPG

Carn5 - 67 days old - brix 11/12
DSCN5993.JPG

DSCN5994.JPG

DSCN59952.JPG

Destroyer continues to grow like an indica. Ain' genetics fun?!

Destroyer - 42 days old - brix 11/12
DSCN5984.JPG

DSCN59852.JPG

DSCN5986.JPG

The seedlings are coming along nicely. :cheesygrinsmiley: Buddha Haze needed some water, so I pulled it out of the cup first to see how it was doing and there were roots circling the bottom already, so it got up-potted. Blue Blood is looking quite vigorous so far. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Buddha Haze - 21 days old and Blue Blood - 9 days old
DSCN59811.JPG

DSCN59821.JPG

DSCN5983.JPG

The Grapefruit cuts are taking well ...

DSCN5978.JPG

DSCN59791.JPG

DSCN5980.JPG

I potted two of the Utopia cuts I had in water and they haven't missed a beat ...

DSCN5973.JPG

DSCN5974.JPG

DSCN5975.JPG

Next I pop either NepJam or a Nexus. :slide:

Thanks so much, MrTeddy, but let me direct that acclaim elsewhere.

I used to grow pot in a previous century, so I have quite a lot of experience with the methods we used in those days, along with their issues. Unfortunately, compared to what we can do now, those methods produced crap. :cheesygrinsmiley: And I will accept a Master of Crappery medal proudly. In those days, there were only a few books and nobody could talk to each other like this.

Any mastery you see in my journals comes from Doc Bud's kit. I like the music analogy - I have this instrument capable of excellent music, and occasionally I'm able to make some.

The best part of this method, though, is how hard it is to turn out bad produce, unlike an instrument. :blunt:

Back
Top Bottom