Heirloom's A Little Bit Of Everything - 2016 Journal

Me? I'm fine with waking up to a discussion about Polyploids.

It's a subject I've only recently taken interest in.

Marijuana Botany An Advanced Study: The Propagation and Breeding of Distinctive Cannabis

By Robert Connell Clarke

Polyploidy

Polyploidy is the condition of multiple sets of chromosomes within one cell. Cannabis has 20 chromosomes in the vegetative diploid (2n) condition. Triploid (3n) and tetraploid (4n) individuals have three or four sets of chromosomes and are termed polyploids. It is believed that the haploid condition of 10 chromosomes was likely derived by reduction from a higher (polyploid) ancestral number (Lewis, W. H. 1980). Polyploidy has not been shown to occur naturally in Cannabis; however, it may be induced artificially with colchicine treatments. Colchicine is a poisonous compound extracted from the roots of certain Colchicum species; it inhibits chromosome segregation to daughter cells and cell wall formation, resulting in larger than average daughter cells with multiple chromosome sets. The studies of H. E. Warmke et al. (1942-1944) seem to indicate that colchicine raised drug levels in Cannabis. It is unfortunate that Warmke was unaware of the actual psychoactive ingredients of Cannabis and was therefore unable to extract THC. His crude acetone extract and archaic techniques of bioassay using killifish and small freshwater crustaceans are far from conclusive. He was, however, able to produce both triploid and tetraploid strains of Cannabis with up to twice the potency of dip- bid strains (in their ability to kill small aquatic organisms). The aim of his research was to "produce a strain of hemp with materially reduced marijuana content" and his results indicated that polyploidy raised the potency of Cannabis without any apparent increase in fiber quality or yield.

Warmke's work with polyploids shed light on the nature of sexual determination in Cannabis. He also illus- trated that potency is genetically determined by creating a lower potency strain of hemp through selective breeding with low potency parents.

More recent research by A. I. Zhatov (1979) with fiber Cannabis showed that some economically valuable traits such as fiber quantity may be improved through polyploidy. Polyploids require more water and are usually more sensitive to changes in environment. Vegetative growth cycles are extended by up to 30-40% in polyploids. An extended vegetative period could delay the flowering of polyploid drug strains and interfere with the formation of floral clusters. It would be difficult to determine if cannabinoid levels had been raised by polyploidy if polyploid plants were not able to mature fully in the favorable part of the season when cannabinoid production is promoted by plentiful light and warm temperatures. Greenhouses and artificial lighting can be used to extend the season and test polyploid strains.

The height of tetraploid (4n) Cannabis in these experiments often exceeded the height of the original diploid plants by 25-30%. Tetraploids were intensely colored, with dark green leaves and stems and a well developed gross phenotype. Increased height and vigorous growth, as a rule, vanish in subsequent generations. Tetraploid plants often revert back to the diploid condition, making it difficult to support tetraploid populations. Frequent tests are performed to determine if ploidy is changing.

Triploid (3n) strains were formed with great difficulty by crossing artificially created tetraploids (4n) with dipbids (2n). Triploids proved to be inferior to both diploids and tetraploids in many cases.

De Pasquale et al. (1979) conducted experiments with Cannabis which was treated with 0.25% and 0.50% solutions of colchicine at the primary meristem seven days after generation. Treated plants were slightly taller and possessed slightly larger leaves than the controls, Anomalies in leaf growth occurred in 20% and 39%, respectively, of the surviving treated plants. In the first group (0.25%) cannabinoid levels were highest in the plants without anomalies, and in the second group (0.50%) cannabinoid levels were highest in plants with anomalies, Overall, treated plants showed a 166-250% increase in THC with respect to controls and a decrease of CBD (30-33%) and CBN (39-65%). CBD (cannabidiol) and CBN (cannabinol) are cannabinoids involved in the biosynthesis and degrada- tion of THC. THC levels in the control plants were very low (less than 1%). Possibly colchicine or the resulting polyploidy interferes with cannabinoid biogenesis to favor THC. In treated plants with deformed leaf lamina, 90% of the cells are tetraploid (4n 40) and 10% diploid (2n 20). In treated plants without deformed lamina a few cells are tetraploid and the remainder are triploid or diploid.

The transformation of diploid plants to the tetraploid level inevitably results in the formation of a few plants with an unbalanced set of chromosomes (2n + 1, 2n - 1, etc.). These plants are called aneuploids. Aneuploids are inferior to polyploids in every economic respect. Aneuploid Cannabis is characterized by extremely small seeds. The weight of 1,000 seeds ranges from 7 to 9 grams (1/4 to 1/3 ounce). Under natural conditions diploid plants do not have such small seeds and average 14-19 grams (1/2- 2/3 ounce) per 1,000 (Zhatov 1979).

Once again, little emphasis has been placed on the relationship between flower or resin production and polyploidy. Further research to determine the effect of polyploidy on these and other economically valuable traits of Cannabis is needed.

Colchicine is sold by laboratory supply houses, and breeders have used it to induce polyploldy in Cannabis. However, colchicine is poisonous, so special care is exercised by the breeder in any use of it. Many clandestine cultivators have started polyploid strains with colchicine. Except for changes in leaf shape and phyllotaxy, no out- standing characteristics have developed in these strains and potency seems unaffected. However, none of the strains have been examined to determine if they are actually poly ploid or if they were merely treated with colchicine to no effect. Seed treatment is the most effective and safest way to apply colchicine. * In this way, the entire plant growing from a colchicine treated seed
could be polyploid and if any colchicine exists at the end of the growing season the amount would be infinitesimal.

Colchicine is nearly always lethal to Cannabis seeds, and in the treatment there is a very fine line between polyploidy and death. In other words, if 100 viable seeds are treated with colchicine and 40 of them germinate it is unlikely that the treatment induced polyploidy in any of the survivors. On the other hand, if 1,000 viable treated seeds give rise to 3 seedlings, the chances are better that they are polyploid since the treatment killed all of the seeds but those three. It is still necessary to determine if the offspring are actually polyploid by microscopic examination.

The work of Menzel (1964) presents us with a crude map of the chromosomes of Cannabis, Chromosomes 2-6 and 9 are distinguished by the length of each arm. Chromo- some 1 is distinguished by a large knob on one end and a dark chromomere 1 micron from the knob. Chromosome 7 is extremely short and dense, and chromosome 8 is assumed to be the sex chromosome. In the future, chromosome *The word "safest" is used here as a relative term. Coichicine has received recent media attention as a dangerous poison and while these accounts are probably a bit too lurid, the real dangers of exposure to coichicine have not been fully researched. The possibility of bodily harm exists and this is multiplied when breeders inexperienced in handling toxins use colchicine. Seed treatment might be safer than spraying a grown plant but the safest method of all is to not use colchicine. mapping will enable us to picture the location of the genes influencing the phenotype of Cannabis. This will enable geneticists to determine and manipulate the important characteristics contained in the gene pool. For each trait the number of genes in control will be known, which chromosomes carry them, and where they are located along those chromosomes.

Getting heavy in here....How about some pics?

I've got Super Lemon Haze, Tangerine Dream and Blue Dream P2 just starting. All seeds sunk in my solution of distilled water and 20ml/gal Ful-Power. Currently they are sitting in moist paper towels on top of a T5 light. Should germ tonight/tomorrow.

DSCN11557.JPG

DSCN11779.JPG

These #1 fabrics are ready to receive the new babies.
DSCN117411.JPG

Starting to bring the BD-P1 clones out of stasis. Soon they too will be in #1 pots.
DSCN117111.JPG

This Fruit Punch clone is getting brutalized.
DSCN11727.JPG

In tent #1 things are progressing okay. Blue Dream has been a little needy, but I did over veg a #5 pot. After the CS clones left the tent, she got to stretch out a bit and take the front center spot. Blueberry x White Widow in the back left, Fruit Punch back right.
DSCN11619.JPG

DSCN11705.JPG

I like how the flash and LED light played in this pic of the Blue Dream.
DSCN11637.JPG

And here are the three clones that were getting treated with the wrong CS. I sprayed STS yesterday, twice. Coating them like I had pests and wanted them dead, dead, dead. I think the STS solution reacted with the CS residue. It turned leaves that bronze, almost gold color. And the leaf tips are purple/black. Hey, it's a big experiment. Other than the colors they seem fine. Come on girls, show me some nanners.
DSCN118011.JPG

DSCN118110.JPG

Ahem. Was there a reason why the Fast and Vast seeds were freebies? :skeptical: Failure to thrive isn't on my to do list, normally. Old/bad seed? Freakin' auto genetics? My inability to cope with autos? :straightface:
DSCN117910.JPG

The Dark Devils are doing better. A little heat on their feet and they have picked it up. I pinched tops a day or two ago. Anyone want to weigh in on how I should go about making fem seeds from these two, please speak up. With my failed CS, and switch to STS, I am considering spraying only one with STS and letting it pollinate the other. IDK. I'm CS shy ATM
DSCN11789.JPG

For this weeks parting shot I chose a new sprout. A few weeks ago I decided to let nature tell me when to start. I popped a bag seed cross from last year in the ground, in a hole from last year that I am not using for anything else this year. It sprouted a few days ago. Day time temps averaging mid 60's, night time low 40's and 30's.

DSCN11858.JPG

DSCN11849.JPG

Thank you all for visiting my little corner! Have a great weekend! I think I might randomly spread some seed along a river bank this weekend. Maybe toss some in the city hall planters too.

:green_heart:

:):):) yeah man, get those planters sprouting :rofl: good place is wide medium strip.. Usually hedged, get one in the middle, lol... Love the above shot of the girls.. Great update....enjoy the weekend...

HL, you have lots going on there. As you know I have had plants outside for a while now....the 4th and 17th of March. The ones I did on the 4th were small plants taking up space indoors so I put them in the back of my raised garden. The other five were a LOT bigger and nearly wore me out transplanting them. Almost EVERY seed I sprout outside get attacked by the birds. Oh, BTW PM me when your gift arrives. Its in a plain white envelope with just your address on it :cheesygrinsmiley:
Have a good weed-end!
HOZ

logo8.gif

Hey Hoz, yeah I have a lot. Truth be told there is not much to do other than fuss and watch. Make foliars, spray foliars. Fuss some more. Find something else to do....

Will PM ya. Thanks for reminding me to check the mail. Not here yet. :(

EDIT: That seedling in the ground was merely a test of both the seed viability and when nature decided it was time. I'm not counting on that plant in any way. It's just one of my little things. If it's a pistillate plant, then it will stay. If it shows pollen sacks, it's pig food.

:thanks:

While cleaning up and stacking a bunch of fire wood today I collected a bunch of worms that were under the pieces on the ground. I collected dozens. Then it came to me. What do you find whenever you move a chunk of rotting wood? Worms and castings! I have what are called 'mill ends', which are the first cuts off a log, usually flat on one side and rounded with bark on the other. I decided to take some shorter lengths (maybe 18" long, 8+ inches wide) of mill ends and place them flat face down in a couple spots around the holes. Then I seeded under them with fresh harvested worms. I'll be feeding them right on the beds. Making a small layer of fresh yummies about half the length of the wood. Then I'll move the wood just enough to cover it. Move the wood a half length every time I feed them, cover the fresh, expose the oldest. They will migrate with the food and leave a trail of bacteria and plant yum behind.

Worm colonies in my beds.

:morenutes:

worms are the best... Compost bin full of them... I throw them over the base of my plant while she's growing...

While cleaning up and stacking a bunch of fire wood today I collected a bunch of worms that were under the pieces on the ground. I collected dozens. Then it came to me. What do you find whenever you move a chunk of rotting wood? Worms and castings! I have what are called 'mill ends', which are the first cuts off a log, usually flat on one side and rounded with bark on the other. I decided to take some shorter lengths (maybe 18" long, 8+ inches wide) of mill ends and place them flat face down in a couple spots around the holes. Then I seeded under them with fresh harvested worms. I'll be feeding them right on the beds. Making a small layer of fresh yummies about half the length of the wood. Then I'll move the wood just enough to cover it. Move the wood a half length every time I feed them, cover the fresh, expose the oldest. They will migrate with the food and leave a trail of bacteria and plant yum behind.

Worm colonies in my beds.

:morenutes:

Brilliant. Have you considered worm towers? They're sunk into the beds.

Well I'll be, gold cannabis. :laughtwo:

I was wondering the same thing about Fast and Vast. They were part of my winnings from Herbies and the first one I tried never germinated. Looking at yours, maybe that was a good thing. I'm not sure I want to risk it.

That was a delightful update. Thanks for making my evening that much more pleasant. :circle-of-love:

Sweet Sue, I Had Absolutely No Idea That You Went Through This With Your Husband Dale, So As Far As Wisdom About Losing A Mate, I Feel That You Absolutely Know What You Are Talking About, I Have Lost Many I Love, Family, Friends, Pets(WHICH TO ME ARE FAMILY), Other Close Personages, That Maybe We Were Not The Best Of Friends, But Congenial With Each Other Anyways, It Hurt To Lose Them As Well. But In Losing A Mate It Feels Far Different, We Are Best Friends, As Well As Man And Wife. They Told Me Tonight That She Probably Only Has At Most A Couple Of Days Left. She Is Yellow Like A Crayola Crayon, Because Her Liver Has Shut Dow, There Are Abscesses On The Front Of Her Abdomen, That They Believe Are The Cause Of Her Liver Shutting Down. She Writhes In Pain When Awake, And Has Not Spoken To Me About Anything Since Last Wednesday Night. She Told Told Me The Tuesday Before Last, She Was Dying, At First I Thought She Meant Dying In Pain,Hunger ETC. But NO, She Meant Actually Dying, And I Was Like, Do Not Talk Like That PLEASE!!! But The Next Day She Had Gone MAD With Pain, And I Took Her Into The Hospital, Our Great Family Doctor Had Already Briefed The ER Team She Was Coming, And Treat Her Like It Was His Daughter, Because He Loves Yarrow, And Has Been Caring For Her Since She Was 15, They Did This, And We Went Quickly Through Triage(YARROW WAS COMATOSE THE ENTIRE TIME), And We Were Put Into The Most Isolated Room In The ER Because She Is So Weal Health Wise, She Should Not Be Exposed To Pneumonia,FLU, The Common Cold ETC. So We Were There A Good 7 Hours At Least, And When They Said They Wanted To Give Her A Spinal Tap, She Exclaimed"HELL NO", But That Is All She Said. So I Called Her Local Doctor, He Said That Because She Is So Immunosuppressed That It Could Be A Good Idea To Get Her Out Of The ER, But Was Not Advising It. So When She Heard This, We Were Up And Out In About 15 Minutes. Then Thursday Came, And My Adventure In Taking Care Of A Psychotic OCD Person Began. Sweet Sue, She Got Up Every 3-10 Minutes To Urinate, But Never Urinated 99% Of The Time, When I Pointed This Out To Her, She Would get This Evil Look On Her face, And Say"DON'T YOU TELL ME WHAT I CANNOT DO", Which Just Blew Me Away. She Would Not Sit Still, I Had To Follow Her Around The House Constantly, She Was Out Of Her Head!!! I Had To Keep Cleaning Up The Bile And Hydro-Chloric Acid She Was Spreading All Over The House, In Big Amounts And Small. The Dog Really Enjoyed That I Must Say, Picture This, Yarrow Going Who Knows Where In Our House, Me Trying To Keep Up With Her, And Trying To Clean Up As Much As I Could As She wandered, And The Dog Behind Us Both, Licking Up All The Spots Yarrow Was Dripping All Over, If It Was Not True, I Would Probably Laugh!!!, Then Monday Came, I Was Ready To Take Her Back To The ER By This Time, Her Home Health Nurse Came By And Took Blood Work, And The Blood Work She Took Showed That Yarrow's Blood System Was All Out Of Whack, Her White Cell Blood Count Was Over 35,000, Normal Is 4-10,000. She Was Septic, And To Top It All Off, She Also Had Broken Her Back About 5 Weeks Prior, And It Turned Out, That When The Doctors Saw It On The CT Scan It Was Her L4(LUMBAR 4) Vertebrae That Had Crush Fractures, And In The Spine, She Had Contracted Osteomyalitis, A Bone Infection. She Is Miserable, And For All Real Intents And Purposes, Is Basically In A Coma, That She Can Sleep Walk In. The Doctors Told Me That They Could Not Do Surgery On Her, Because Of Her Mal-Nourished State, Nothing Would Ever Heal, And She Would Be In That Much More Agony, So They Are Trying To Make Her As Comfortable As Possible, I Wish She Could Smoke, But That Is A No-No At The Hospital, Honestly, I Do Not Think She Could Smoke Anyways, As She Has Forgotten How To Even Use A Straw, And She Is Also Losing The Ability To Swallow Because She Cannot Remember How. So I Wait In Agony For The Dreaded Phone call, Or Me Being There When It happens, Either Way It Will Break Me!!! They Give Her At Most The Next Hour To Tuesday To Live. Man I Hurt!!! I Am Losing The One That I Love Most, And I Am Still Just Not Ready To Let Her Go. But I Did Sign The DNR(DO NOT RESUSCITATE) Paperwork, Which Means They'll Try Everything Up To Chest Compression's, When They Get To Having To Do The Chest Compression's, They Will Call A Halt, And Pronounce He Deceased. She Would Get Her Ribs All Broken If They Tried To Save Her By Starting On Chest Compression's , She Has Full Blown Osteoporosis. If They Brought Her Back, It Would Be To A Hell I Could Not Condemn Her To Go Through, So The DNR I Signed. She Always Told Me, James If They Have To Hook Me Up To Any Machine To Keep Me Alive, Please Let Me Go, So Yarrow, I Keep That Promise To You!!! And Sweet Sue, Thank You For Telling Me About 420's Wondrous Community, I Know It, Perhaps Not As Deeply As You After Dale Passed, But I Can See That When Yarrow Passes, This May Be The Last Refuge For My Aching Soul, And There Are Many Good People Here To Help Me Through, I Love All Of You, My Friends!!! Commander Of The 420 Knights Watch, JamesTheGreen:thumb:!!!

James,
When my wife passed I was, and still am in some ways, devastated. I didn't know what to do next. I sat in the house, basically comatose for a few weeks.

Then one day I was listening to my favorite band, Rush. The drummer, a decade before, lost his daughter to a car accident and within a year his wife to cancer. All band operations ceased (for several years) and he took an extended motorcycle trip.

A song that was written after his tragedy struck me.

Two weeks later I had all home affairs taken care of and covered, and I left on a new motorcycle and just rode. No particular direction other than away. Ultimately, like the drummer, the healing was all around me. The timeless landscapes and endless two lane roads. The solitude.

9 months and 100k miles later I returned home. Nothing was the same, obviously, but I had come to grips with the loss and could maybe think about possibly going back to work.

We are here for you James. It's not warm and cuddly, but we do care for you. Wish there was more one could do for people facing this.

:circle-of-love:

Wish I could roll one with you guys and just hang... Bloody moving.. Wishing you all positivity through this James... Heirloom, man, I had no idea. Sounds like a great way to keep your mental stability, see that beauty still around, even on the darkest of days/times.... Thank you both....

id be pissed if you didn't make contact if you was deciding to come over...

Well I'll be, gold cannabis. :laughtwo:

Wondrous, isn't it? Should be worth a fortune on the streets, lol. If so I'll CS and STS them all!

Goldfinger's Ganja. No no, more hip and modern...GoldMember's Ganja! :laughtwo:

Actually I would never let those plants out of my care. They are potentially full on poisonous even if the silver nitrate was converted. They are going to be paper bagged and burnt in the fire barrel when they are done.

Back
Top Bottom