Lucky's First Home Grown Bag Seed

Do you think I should switch up my nutes? I can't believe how good she looks and all I feed her is some $5 fert I got on sale (haha) at Home Depot. To me she looks lush, green and healthy.

Like the old saying goes, "If it ain't broke ...."

There are some bloom enhancers out there you might want to try. They are high in Phosphorus and kick the flowering up a notch. I haven't used any, but maybe someone listening in has a recommendation.

One thing I do recommend (and it's cheap) is to use a carbon dioxide diffuser (CO2 diffuser). You don't have to buy some expensive CO2 kit, just use bakers yeast and sugar. The extra CO2 is great for fattening up the buds in the last couple of week of flowering. I have four in my flower room.

Carbon Dioxide Diffuser

Diffuser1.jpg

To make one, use a large empty glass bottle, like the ones that mineral water comes in. Put some sugar in warm water, then add Bakers Yeast. Use the traditional bread yeast, not the quick-rise or pizza dough crap. Let it rest for 5 - 15 minutes and when you can see the yeast working, use a funnel and put it into the bottle. Put aluminum foil over the top and punch a couple of pin holes it.

You want to keep air from entering the bottle, otherwise the evaporation will cool the water down and retard the fermentation. I use about 1 ounze per bottle and fill the bottles a bit less than half-way. It's amazing how much this will enhance your buds. If you have a relatively small grow space like mine, you can double the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere.

Good news everyone. The gods have made my sun brighter! I grabbed a brand new quantum digital ballast that puts out 600 watts, hps bulb and reflector. Some fox farms soil and fox farms flowering fertilizer and some panda film! All and all a pretty good pick up. Looking forward to some big changes!

ShadowGrow said:
Grant I'd give you a vote for most valuable member award! Tons of great info here, thanks and best of luck with your future grows!

Aw, Shucks, he says, looking down and shuffling his feet in the dirt. I hate reading books about marijuana cultivation. I don't have the patience to make it through one, but I've learned more by trying to help other growers out (and by them helping me out) than I could learn from any book!

Some fox farms soil and fox farms flowering fertilizer

I was going to suggest getting some flowering fertilizer, but wasn't sure if you were on a budget.

That 600W HPS is going to turn your little gymnast into a female shotputter! Just be careful not to put the HPS too close to your gal. These things put out an incredible amount of heat. Try 2 feet at first, then you can try to move it closer if there is no adverse effect. Having a fan blowing across the top of the plant would also allow you to move the lamp closer, as well.

Yes I second that vote for ggrant getting the mvp award! He's been there to answer every question I've asked!

Getting a co2 tank tomw as well! Gonna get these buds big! Messed around with some black and white and cool color setting with my camera. So I'll post some up soon. The light is 21 in from the two tallest buds.

Also I'm getting a R/O system so I can have clean water. I saw this one was recommended.
RO Systems
I was looking at the one that $190 but I couldn't really tell the difference between that one and the one that was around $150?

Also I'm getting a R/O system so I can have clean water. I saw this one was recommended.

R/O = Reverse Osmosis! Thanks for posting this, Lucky! I always thought R/O was short for runoff water. I figured it meant water that one had left standing for a couple of days or maybe a lot of growers had rain barrels in their backyards, LOL!

I've always meant to ask but I didn't want to come across ignorant! See, I told you I learn as much from you guys as you do from me.

As far as a system goes, I have no idea. I'm pretty minimalist. I didn't even have a pH meter until a grower friend bought one for me. (I haven't even unpacked it yet.) You might say I'm a Luddite!

Funny story that. The first time I heard the word Luddite (actually the only time I've ever hear the word Luddite) was when visiting a client. He said the senior management were all Luddites. I smile knowingly while thinking "WTF is a Luddite?"

After the meeting I looked it up in the dictionary. For you technophiles, that's a book which lists the meaning of various words. (Way before the Internet!) A Luddite is someone who hates or resists new technology.

It's named after Ned Ludd, who sabotaged machinery during the Industrial Revolution. By the way, sabotage comes from the French "sabot" meaning wooden shoe. Workers would throw these shoes into machinery to disable or destroy them, hence "sabotage."

ggrant I'm glad I could teach you something haha!

I figure the R/O system would have multiple uses since I'd use it for drinking water or for the water for a salt water reef aquarium when I get this cannabis project up and running.

I'm having some problems uploading some new pictures. I'm not sure if it's my internet connection or the site...

Black and white photos. Very retro, Lucky!

It's hard to get decent photos with an HPS lamp, n'est-ce pas?

I remember asking you what you were going to use for your second grow, but I forgot you were going to re-veg. As you have been through thick and thin with gal and she's been such a trooper, I think it's great that you're going to keep her around.

Once you re-veg and she recovers and starts looking like a normal vegetative plant again, it would be a good time to take clones. This way, you will never lose her genetics and she will live on in her daughters and granddaughters. As they are clones, they will be female and be just like their mom!

it's just about impossible to get a correct color shot under HPS. But boy is it night and day difference between CFL and a 600 watt HPS!

Some bad news. I'm starting to see little banana looking things in my buds. I'm thinking they are seeds? I plucked off what I could see. This could be just the genetics since I found a seed in a bud or maybe from some light leakage.

Going to grab some more supplies from the the store. She's starting to get a bit smelly so I'm going to make a carbon filter. As well as some 2x3 to frame up my new grow space! I've got a total of 9ftx6ft to work with. Trying to decide how big to make my flower chamber. Something like 6ftx6ft or so.

A friend gave me some purple #1 seeds. Started them germinating last night. I think I'm going to veg them out maybe take some clones so I can plant some outside come spring time. Also got about 4-5 other kinds of seeds another friend is getting me.

This next grow I want to try some new strains out there that are high in cbd. Like 1:1 ratio of cbd to thc. I've seen some that are higher than 10% of each!

Lucky said:
it's just about impossible to get a correct color shot under HPS. But boy is it night and day difference between CFL and a 600 watt HPS!

Some bad news. I'm starting to see little banana looking things in my buds. I'm thinking they are seeds? I plucked off what I could see. This could be just the genetics since I found a seed in a bud or maybe from some light leakage.

Lucky, these are likely Foxtails and are either genetic or caused by heat stress. Since you just set up a 600W HPS, my guess it is from heat stress.

Foxtails are neither good nor bad. Some growers like them, some hate them.

Here are some pictures to help you identify them:

FoxTails.jpg

FoxTails2.jpg

FoxTails3.jpg

FoxTails4.jpg

Here are a bunch of comments from growers about Foxtails. Not claiming all the comments are great, but they are a representative sample:

Like the post says, for some buds foxtail is the structure of the bud. And these buds are beautiful and the foxtails are tight.

However, I accidently induced an unwanted foxtail structure late during bloom caused by a light leak and too much N. This undesirable foxtailing manifested as a wispy stem with one calyx per cm.

--------------------------------

I love foxtailing, especially because I love sativa's so te me it's a way to see if a bud will be enough sativa for me

my own harvest, own cross between 2 danish putdoorstrains, has also foxtail, the foxtailpart is probably for a big part from the typhoonfather(the strain typhoon is known for foxtail, this budstructure has good moldresistance)
the mother, UK08, didn't really have foxtail more just really thin airy sativabuds(little bit foxtail maybe, but not as much as the typhoon)

Foxtailing is when what looks to be "mini colas" petrude from the buds, resembling a fox tail. I hear its due to nute and heatstress, and some sativa, sativa hybrids have this trait in there genes. I think mine was caused by heatstress. Well I harvested a few days ago, after the trim it realy resembled a fox tail. Kinda looked like fingers poking out the top. I just trimmed them of to better shape the buds. Like I said, most of the hairs were orange, except for the top of the "fingers". I wish I could post a few pics. Newayz, I'll should be smokin in a few weeks. Happy Tokin everyone. Late.......

---------------------------------

I'm pretty certain it is heat stress mate. Read it a few places and noticed big time at mine and my mates. Since I've lowered my heat, same strain, foxtailing has stopped. And over my mates place, his heat has always been higher and he gets it worse
Pics you usually see it in too you can usually see other heat issues like leaf curl at edges in the pics so pretty certain its heat and I certainly don't find it desirable.
When I've had it, I've hated chopping the shit, makes your weed look very strange. Can't be certain on tastes or effects as I overcome it a few months back and so can't remember but definately since correcting my heat levels my plants look a million times better

I'm pretty certain it is heat stress mate. Read it a few places and noticed big time at mine and my mates. Since I've lowered my heat, same strain, foxtailing has stopped. And over my mates place, his heat has always been higher and he gets it worse
Pics you usually see it in too you can usually see other heat issues like leaf curl at edges in the pics so pretty certain its heat and I certainly don't find it desirable.
When I've had it, I've hated chopping the shit, makes your weed look very strange. Can't be certain on tastes or effects as I overcome it a few months back and so can't remember but definately since correcting my heat levels my plants look a million times better

While I was collecting these photos, I found one to which we can all aspire:

HazePlants.jpg

.​

Thanks for all the info but I'm pretty sure she's gone hermie and they're seeds. I'll post some pics when the lights come on.

My lights come on at 23:45 and go off at 11:15. I want this to change to come on at 0500 and go off at 1630. I'm thinking I'll just let her stay a little darker for 6 extra hrs today and have the lights come on at 0500. This way I can get more work done on her during the day.

Here's my carbon filter for the time being. Hopefully she takes care of the smell. I also picked up another timer (so I can start vegging some seeds again) and 12 2x4's. I'm hoping to get my new grow room framed up this week.

P10108271.JPG

P10108282.JPG

P10108292.JPG

I had this portable april air cleaner sitting around so I took some carbon air cleaner filter and put 4 layers of it around a mesh grate.

ps. those plants are huuuuge

Thanks for all the info but I'm pretty sure she's gone hermie and they're seeds.

Are there lots of seeds? It seems odd for a female plant to turn hermie after 6 weeks of flowering. Also it's right after you started using the 600W HPS, isn't it? If it's only a few seeds, it could be foxtails. If it's a lot of seeds. then she's gone hermie. The buds will still have all the THC that was created before she went hermie. You will still have a good smoke. In the old days, there were always seeds in the dope you bought and it was still pretty awesome!

If it's a hermie for sure, let the seeds mature completely. They should be viable, i.e., you can germinate them. So instead of clones, you will have an entire family of Juicy Fruit or whichever strain she is!

R/O = Reverse Osmosis! Thanks for posting this, Lucky! I always thought R/O was short for runoff water. I figured it meant water that one had left standing for a couple of days or maybe a lot of growers had rain barrels in their backyards, LOL!

I've always meant to ask but I didn't want to come across ignorant! See, I told you I learn as much from you guys as you do from me.

As far as a system goes, I have no idea. I'm pretty minimalist. I didn't even have a pH meter until a grower friend bought one for me. (I haven't even unpacked it yet.) You might say I'm a Luddite!

Funny story that. The first time I heard the word Luddite (actually the only time I've ever hear the word Luddite) was when visiting a client. He said the senior management were all Luddites. I smile knowingly while thinking "WTF is a Luddite?"

After the meeting I looked it up in the dictionary. For you technophiles, that's a book which lists the meaning of various words. (Way before the Internet!) A Luddite is someone who hates or resists new technology.

It's named after Ned Ludd, who sabotaged machinery during the Industrial Revolution. By the way, sabotage comes from the French "sabot" meaning wooden shoe. Workers would throw these shoes into machinery to disable or destroy them, hence "sabotage."

Okay you rep points for that one G. Luddite! Sounds like my dad is a luddite. I have been keeping an eye on this grow and I have to say I am impressed. Peace

PS Where in the heck were those megalasauracanabinoid's grown? I would love to walk through a field like that man. Hopefully in my lifetime we will be allowed to grow our own super trees without fear. Thanks for sharing. Peace

Lord Indica said:
PS Where in the heck were those megalasauracanabinoid's grown? I would love to walk through a field like that man. Hopefully in my lifetime we will be allowed to grow our own super trees without fear. Thanks for sharing.

It was on the same site where I got the pictures of the foxtails. The guy didn't say if the picture was his or not or where it came from.

I've only had three outdoor grows in my life. My very first grow was outdoors in the 60's. It was great and a lot of fun. The following year, I grew another crop in the same location. Unfortunately, it got ripped off. The third outdoor grow was in the late 70's in a greenhouse I made out of plastic sheeting. It, too, got ripped off! F**King assholes!

One day, I too, hope to grow plants outdoors again. Far from rip-off poachers.

Peace out man!

The second pic, at the top looks almost like bananas (male) BUT...I'm not sure I'm new at this but don't recall seeing pollen sacks on the top of the bud like that, I thought they were always on the stalk, so I'm probably wrong here

Back
Top Bottom