Lucky's First Home Grown Bag Seed

Dude, you rock !!!!

I was going to post another screed against the soil and pot you're using, but you've obviously seen the light! Hallelujah, brothers, welcome the newest member of our flock!

I think I mentioned that I ran out of my regular soil mix and bought a MicracleGro clone type of soil. (All I could find at the megastore I went to.)

I transplanted four clones I was trying to root. The two best I put in the remaining "good" soil that I had, and the remaining two in the new soil I had just bought. A week transpired and the soil was finally drying out. (The humidity was high for the clones and they have a minimal root system, so they don't use a lot of water.)

Anyway, it was finally time to water them. When I watered the clones with the "MiracleGro" soil, the water pooled on the top, ran down the sides of the pot and poured out bottom, almost as if there was no soil in the pot at all.

On the other hand, when I watered the plants with the "good soil," the water soaked into the surface almost immediately and there was NO runoff at all. This just illustrates how MiracleGro type soil clumps into a muddy mass that doesn't allow nutrients or oxygen to enter.

If you were a potato farmer in Iowa, you'd think, "MiracleGro" is Black Gold, but an MJ grower thinks quite differently. Our plants are used to sandy soils and soils with lots of detritus (bits of bark, dead leaves, etc.). Think Brazilian Rain Forest.

Even though the pots I use have holes on the bottom for easy drainage, nothing is going to get the moisture out of the "MiracleGro" mud that's packed in them.

In other words, although your pot was a major culprit, the soil was equally culpable and both should be given the same prison sentence.

Once again,

Bravo !

I can't believe how fast she is growing!

P1010661.JPG

new growth looks really good!
P1010663.JPG

What's up with this leaf?

P1010662.JPG

Still working on a light and I think I'm going to get another cabinet. Use the shorter 1 I have now for vegging and then I'll get a 72in cabinet for flowering. Some new pictures from tonight. Water and fert and molasses tonight.

P10106692.JPG

P10106702.JPG

P10106711.JPG

P10106721.JPG

Great Idea putting together two cabinets, Lucky.

Have you read up on cloning? It's not as easy as it seems, at least not for me. I'm going to try to produce some more clones about 2 weeks from now, maybe 4 weeks, depending on my current grow.

I have a friend who's promised to teach me all he knows about cloning when he gets back in town. His method takes 10 days to 2 weeks to root. My current clones barely survived and took 5 weeks to root!

So I put her into darkness today. I thought cloning was a lot easier! I can't believe how fast she is growing. I'll post pics tonight after the lights come back on.

Yes I need more soil. I'll get some today and re-pot.

P1010686.JPG

whats the white stuff?!? I took a couple pics so and it showed up on all of them.
P1010688.JPG

Unless I'm mistaken, Lucky, that's just the process of the leaf turning green. When new leaves form, they are white, then they turn a pale green and finally dark green.

This is just on the newly forming leaves, no? If it's on the older leaves as well, post a picture. Keep an eye on these leaves and see if they don't turn a uniform darker green in a couple of days.

yes just on the newer leaves. Should I just get the same miracle grow organic soil? I've looked at a couple different places and cant find coco.

Well since everything is going well I just picked up the same soil going to mix it with about 1/3 perlite. I also picked up another 68watt 2700k cfl for flowering and another light fixture but it didn't work.

Its night time in my cabinet though so I can't add any more soil till late tonight. I'll post up some pics tomw before the lights go off.

Hey Lucky,

Keep us informed on the "white-spotted" leaves.

As far as soil goes, MG and perlite is fine. I've been using "soil-less" soil for all my grows and it's a great medium. I wouldn't worry about finding coco coir. I ran out of my regular "soil" and bought some perlite yesterday.

I just transplanted a seedling into a 50% mix of Nature's Blend (an MG clone) and 50% perlite. Don't bogart that perlite!

Before I bought the perlite, I talked to my expert grower friend about perlite and he said you can actually grow with 100% perllite if you have a continuous drip system.

This just shows that using a lot of perlite won't bother your lady. If you've been using 1/3 perlite and that works for you, fine. Just saying,

You can never have too much money or perlite!

Back
Top Bottom