Lucky's First Home Grown Bag Seed

Met some other growers last night. Kind of cool! They grow bc god bud about 25 plants. Going to check out there set up next week.

Got her transplanted today and changed all my cfl bulbs to a lower Kelvin bulb. Better for flowering I've been told. Headed to exchange my 68 w cfl that didn't work yesterday.

So I'll be running 2 68w CFLs and 5 23w 2700k for flowering. Do I need more?

Did an internet search and those bulbs are whompin' huge! I've only been using CFL's for veg, but I would think two of those monsters along with the smaller bulbs would be sufficient.

Hopefully some fluor child will be able to answer this question better than I.

Did you repot? How about a picture?

Those big cfl (I think they might actually be 65 watt) are actually 4200k. I've read that 2700k is best but these are ok right? Or will she not be able to absorb this spectrum very well?

I did snap some picts from the re pot. post soon looked really good. Lots of new, good white root growth as well.

4200K are fine, Lucky. Hell, you can use 6500K if you like. It's the duration of the darkness cycle that promotes flowering. 12 hours of uninterrupted darkness will signal the plants to start flowering.

If you want a more complete spectrum, use a couple of 25W 2700K CFLs. Those are easy to find.

By the way, I used a MH bulb (the high intensity version of 6500K CFLs) for the first 5 weeks of flowering with my current grow. I liked it so much, I thought I would leave it on as an experiment for the entire run. The consensus on my journal was that I should switch to HPS (the hight intensity version of 2700K CFLs), and since I had one (that cost over $100), I decided to do so.

The best lights to use for both vegetation and flowering is a combination of blue and red spectra lights (blue = 6500K, red = 2700K). When I first saw this, I was surprised until I realized that the sun doesn't change its spectrum suddenly. What happens is that in autumn, the sun rises and sets in a lower latitude and the bending of the light reaching the plants (think of a prism) shifts slightly from the blue to the red spectrum. Certainly nothing like the specialty bulbs sold commercially.

The red end of the spectrum is supposed to stimulate certain plant hormones (don't ask me what they are - beats me). Anyway, the bottom line is that you can use a candle if you like, at long as it's off for at least 12 hours straight!

Sounds like I should have enough light.

2 65 w cfls 4200k
5 23 w cfls 2700k

Grant thanks again! Here she is!!!

P10106921.JPG

P1010693.JPG

P10106941.JPG

I'm still shocked at how resilient this plant is. The pot is fairly large. I'd say about 5-6 ga. I ended up adding about 1 bag miracle grow organic soil and a little more than half a bag of perlite. I had a little bit a soil left over and covered the top thats why it doesn't looked mixed very well but trust me it is.

Wow, give this sweetheart a couple of weeks in her new environment and she'll gorw to be a monster!

By the way, did you fertilize her right after transplanting? I always pour enough nutrient bath in to completely saturate the soil until it leaks out the bottom.

By the way, the bulbs are more than sufficient. The top bulbs look like they could be a lot closer (unless they get really hot).

Is that a fan on the left? If you're not using a fan, get one to gently waft over the plant. It helps to circulate the air and to prevent any hot spot burns from the lamps.

yes thats a big fan on the left. She gets plenty of air. Yes the big cfls are much closer but it made a better picture with them up and out of the way.

ggrant post a link to your journal if you got one thanks!

I'm going to start researching some LST and similar methods. I have a feeling that she's going to get pretty tall.

UPDATE 01/18

Well I've decided to chill out been smoking an 8th a day since Nov. haha

here some good pictures though... really starting to stretch!

P10106952.JPG

P10106961.JPG

How far into flowering can you start seeing bud?

P10106971.JPG

P10106982.JPG

ANOTHER NEWBIE MISTAKE!!

So I left 2 lights (5 cfls 23 w bulbs) on for an extra 2 hrs today. Is this a serious problem if it happens once? I was dumb. but I fixed the problem.

I had my two large lights hooked into a timer and two on a power strip since the timer only had 2 outlets. To fix I plugged the power strip into the timer ( I had it the other way before) that way I can plug all 4 lights into the power strip and run them on the timer.

Should I extend the darkness cycle today so it gets more than 12 hrs?

No problemo, Lucky.

You're not the only space case here! I have an overhead light in my grow space that I seldom use, as the HID's are more than bright enough. The only time I use the light is if I'm changing bulbs or something like that.

When I changed from HPS to MH for some better pictures, I used the overhead light to see what I was doing. After the HID came on, I forgot to turn the overhead light off (It's hardly noticeable in the glare of the HID).

Anyway, I left the light on for who know's how long. A few times I've left it on overnight. In Nature, there are occasionally full moons, so these ladies can handle a moonlight stroll now and then. As long as you don't do this too often, the ladies don't mind and, personally, I think they like a change in mood lighting once in a while!

420farmer you mean hairs like this :high-five:
P10107032.JPG

P1010705.JPG

HAPPY GIRL!
P1010700.JPG

The front browning on the leaf was from heat stress from a light being to close, otherwise still looking great.
P1010702.JPG

how much light is allowed so that we can work on our plants while the lights are off? I've seen one guy use a red lens light could this be better?

Back
Top Bottom